Greetings from NJ

 

Hello,

Rath here, just checking in and saying hi! New to this GPS stuff and POI's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rath

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Welcome to the Factory,

Welcome to the Factory, Rath.Be sure to check out the faq's (top right) and the getting started page. Then have fun. Miss POI doesn't work us to hard. grin

--
All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players. Rush

Welcome to Poi Factory

Rath wrote:

Hello,

Rath here, just checking in and saying hi! New to this GPS stuff and POI's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rath

Welcome to the site Rath.You may want to look at this if you plan to use custom pois from site
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/25721 .Your unit doesn't play mp3 so if you have plans for voice alerts you will need sox.exe and wav files.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Lots of great information

Rath,

You have come to the right place for information on your GPS. Along with the files, the expertise of those on the forum is astounding. Read the welcome threads and any questions you may have will be answered in a friendly, helpful manner. You are part of one of the friendliest sites on the Internet. Enjoy your new GPS and welcome to POI factory.

welcome, it is nice to have

welcome, it is nice to have you joining us.

Miss POI

Hi Rath!

There is always someone happy to answer questions here!

dobs108 smile

Hello Rath

Greetings from SD

Welcome Aboard Rath

You'll soon discover how friendly and helpful everyone is around here. Have fun smile

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Hello Rath

Learn,have fun, create then navigate. You found THE PLACE. Pace yourself though, it gets hard to stop some nights.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

welcome Rath you will not

welcome Rath

you will not find a better group of people with GPS interests. My wife and kids think I'm obsessed but the help from this forum has let me get a lot more use out of my GPS. grin

A warm welcome from alabama!

Auburn, Alabama has the best college football team in the nation but POI Factory has the best enforcement camera information and the best POI files that can be found. There are lots of good people and good information here. Have fun!

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard

Welcome to the Site!

You will find lots of good information on this site.

Hi Rath

Welcome to the POI Factory. Glad to have you with us. You'll find our little home cozy and warm along with a great group of people who are very passionate about the GPS experience and very eager to lend a helping hand.

Welcome!

Enjoy the POI Factory, you'll be addicted in no time!!

Norm grin grin

--
Garmin Nuvi 650, Garmin eTrexLegend, Magellan 360

Thanks all!

Wow! What a warm welcome!

Thanks everyone, I feel welcome already. Much reading to do and thanks for the links.

Rath...*getting busy*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Addicted already!!

And I don't want a cure!!

I had no idea there was so much that you could do with a GPS. If I'd known, I would have gotten one years ago!!

So...*drum roll*...Question 1: Is it difficult to create content?

As a trucker, I'm sure I can contribute much.

Rath *busy downloading*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Create content

Rath wrote:

And I don't want a cure!!

I had no idea there was so much that you could do with a GPS. If I'd known, I would have gotten one years ago!!

So...*drum roll*...Question 1: Is it difficult to create content?

As a trucker, I'm sure I can contribute much.

Rath *busy downloading*

We have other truckers on site who have made and uploaded files to Poi Factory.Some good ones that even help out the big wheel campers.You can use excel,notepad,Extra Poi Editor and Google Earth just to name a few.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks charlesd45. I am

Thanks charlesd45.

I am quite computer savvy and quite good with excel. Just wondering about how to go about it. Guess I'll look around.

Rath *digging in*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Welcome Rath,

This is a great place! smile

--
Expect nothing!, appreciate benignity!

Welcome...

you found the best on the net...I can't keep away from it...right up there with FoxNews.com with me!!

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

.

Welcome to the site.

If you're ever out driving and happen to see the cast of Jersey Shore, please do us a favor and run them over!! mrgreen

LOL Gagetguy! I've been

LOL Gagetguy!

I've been wanting a new hood ornament *grins* Thanks for the idea!

Rath *a hunting I will go*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Welcome

Hi and welcome.

Custom pois

Rath wrote:

Thanks charlesd45.

I am quite computer savvy and quite good with excel. Just wondering about how to go about it. Guess I'll look around.

Rath *digging in*

Since you know your way around a computer.To me this is one of the best ways to make custom pois.See (link no longer available)

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks a ton,

Thanks a ton, Charlesd45!!!

Rath *trying to stave off info overload*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM

Using Google Earth and Extra

Using Google Earth and Extra Poi Editor takes a lot of copy and paste out of the picture.Plus gpx files allows more info input plus dialable numbers for Bluetooth.Plus you get a better format on the gps screen with gpx files.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

File Preferences

Hey Rath,
Everyone has their own preference on saving the file as a gpx or csv. I have only been doing POIs files for a few months now but I personally like the gpx format. I have found it easier to format information for display on the different screens on the GPS and rarely has problems with the POILoader program which compiles the gpx or csv to a gpi for uploading to the GPS.

I am only guessing that others like the csv format because of its ease of working with files in many different programs. It also seems like you can put together large amounts of information quicker using csv format. Anyway, you'll find your way and your favorite format.

By the way, do you have a mount wired onto that tractor? You may need to hit "Where to? / HOME" when you get thirsty for a cold one.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

thanks again.

charlesd45 wrote:

Using Google Earth and Extra Poi Editor takes a lot of copy and paste out of the picture.Plus gpx files allows more info input plus dialable numbers for Bluetooth.Plus you get a better format on the gps screen with gpx files.

Thanks again Charlesd45. I've been playing with the POI downloader all day and am getting quite use to it. I will take a gander at the gpx files as I love BLUETOOTH!

bear007 wrote:

Hey Rath,
Everyone has their own preference on saving the file as a gpx or csv. I have only been doing POIs files for a few months now but I personally like the gpx format. I have found it easier to format information for display on the different screens on the GPS and rarely has problems with the POILoader program which compiles the gpx or csv to a gpi for uploading to the GPS.

I am only guessing that others like the csv format because of its ease of working with files in many different programs. It also seems like you can put together large amounts of information quicker using csv format. Anyway, you'll find your way and your favorite format.

By the way, do you have a mount wired onto that tractor? You may need to hit "Where to? / HOME" when you get thirsty for a cold one.

I have the windshield mount that came with the unit, if that's what you mean. My tractor has plenty of 12v outlets, so I'm good there. Thanks for the info smile

Rath *having a cold one right now*

--
Garmin 1390T X1 & 50LM