Ethanol Free Gas

 

I would not normaly write this to open forum.I just downloaded The Ethanol Free Gas POI and it has a mistake on line 13 a data format error.I would write to the person who updates the file but there is no contact link for this person.

Page 1>>

And After

And after you correct that one (a line break) then there is at least one more (line 72?).

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

Use the about / contact

mdh31951 wrote:

I would not normaly write this to open forum.I just downloaded The Ethanol Free Gas POI and it has a mistake on line 13 a data format error.I would write to the person who updates the file but there is no contact link for this person.

use the about / contact tab, top right and let Miss POI know

--
All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players. Rush

Pure Gas POI

d-moo70 wrote:
mdh31951 wrote:

I would not normaly write this to open forum.I just downloaded The Ethanol Free Gas POI and it has a mistake on line 13 a data format error.I would write to the person who updates the file but there is no contact link for this person.

use the about / contact tab, top right and let Miss POI know

I wrote as you suggested thank you.

new maintainer

Thanks sorrelmb for taking over the Ethanol-free gas stations in USA and Canada file.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/29903

I downloaded the pure-gas.csv today and proceeded to fill up the tank with 90 octane ethanol free gasoline, at present my vehicle computer is indicating 23.7mpg and hasn’t changed in months lets see if there is an improvement to justify the $3.99 a gallon price.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

How does that price compare

How does that price compare to what you normally pay? 3.99 is a bargain in Chicago.

ethanol vs Ethanol FREE

nrbovee wrote:

How does that price compare to what you normally pay? 3.99 is a bargain in Chicago.

I usually fuel up with cheap 87 octane with Ethanol and the going price today in my area is around $3.75 but here is the kicker Premium 90 octane with Ethanol is selling here for $3.99 the same price I paid for 90 Ethanol FREE

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Keep us Posted...

I have read reports from a couple of motorcyclists who report that they had 10% reductions in gas mileage with E10. Between that and the oxygenated formulations (which should be completely unnecessary except for 20 year old cars), we're being robbed blind. I'm paying to fill my tank with air, thanks.

It will be great for motorcyclists to have a database of places to fill up with real gasoline. Motorcycles have lots of parts that were never designed for contact with Ethanol.

Pure gas

25 cents more for pure gas is the break even point on gas mileage for our Scion that gets over 40 mpg on trips. The car runs great on either fuel.
My lawn mowing equipment and an old truck must have pure gas, no matter what the price.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Pure Gas

The last lawnmower I bought (a Toro) has a sticker next to the gas tank cap that said to use gas without ethenol.

the law

jgermann wrote:

The last lawnmower I bought (a Toro) has a sticker next to the gas tank cap that said to use gas without ethenol.

If I recall correctly when the congress mandated ethanol in gasoline the only places you could find ethanol free gas was in marinas and airports, I’m guessing the reason you see those ethanol free pumps proliferating into the cities and town is the lawn mowing business started to complain as well as motorcycle dealers, before I had to drive to Pinellas county to find a marina now I have a regular Citgo station 3 miles from my house.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Ethanol free

"If I recall correctly when the congress mandated ethanol in gasoline the only places you could find ethanol free gas was in marinas and airports,..."

Ethanol is mandated by the EPA (not Congress) for specific areas which do not meet their air quality standards. My particular area is mandated to use it. 50 miles away in any direction you find ethanol free gas.

sucks

sucks

If I remember correctly

When I was out in the AZ, NM, Tx area we had no choice but to put in Ethanol into our
2008 Taurus a few times.
Gas Mileage suffered roughly 10 % each time I used the Ethanol

I have a COMPLETE record of every fill-up I have made in this car and my mileage suffered each time .
I made a note on my spreadsheet that the fill was ethanol !

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

makes one wonder

MrKenFL wrote:

When I was out in the AZ, NM, Tx area we had no choice but to put in Ethanol into our
2008 Taurus a few times.
Gas Mileage suffered roughly 10 % each time I used the Ethanol

Makes one wonder if the mileage tests that are being conducted (and posted on new car windows) are run with blended ethanol or on pure gas. It would go to explain why consumers don't see anywhere near the reported values. (And yes, I know the tests are done under controlled conditions on a dynamometer, but the fuel aspect is one I hadn't considered.)

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

EPA

The EPA mileage tests are conducted with pure gas. My Democratic Congressman was working on a "truth in gasoline," stating the percentage of ethanol at each pump. Also to force the EPA to conduct test using pure & enriched. Unfortunately, we did not re-elect him.
I doubt that EPA would ever conduct tests that show ethanol is a fraud. The ethanol industry has a lot of clout.
Although I do realize that 10% does burn much cleaner, based on my own observations.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

EPA

spokybob wrote:

The EPA mileage tests are conducted with pure gas. My Democratic Congressman was working on a "truth in gasoline," stating the percentage of ethanol at each pump. Also to force the EPA to conduct test using pure & enriched. Unfortunately, we did not re-elect him.
I doubt that EPA would ever conduct tests that show ethanol is a fraud. The ethanol industry has a lot of clout.
Although I do realize that 10% does burn much cleaner, based on my own observations.

I'm not a fan of the EPA's testing. My car (VW TDI) is rated at 40 MPG highway. The only way I can get 40 MPG on the highway is driving WAY above the limit. At the limit, I'm north of 45 MPG. I don't think they are a big fan of diesel...

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

Diluted Gas

With ethanol gas, we get less MPG in our vehicles. Actually we get more than 10% less MPG with a 10% additive of ethanol in the gas. Fortunately for us there is a pure gas station in our community, so we are able to use pure gas most of the time.

No Real Gas in NY

New York state has pretty much outlawed real gas accept at marinas and airports. Since neater of those sources have road tax (even though they are much more expensive) it isn't legal to use on the road.

I use Aviation gas in all my off road applications and it is amazing how well they run com pared to even the pre ethanol gas.

No Real Gas in NY

Sorry I double clicked.

The Av Gas smells better to.

$$$

JebNY wrote:

New York state has pretty much outlawed real gas accept at marinas and airports. Since neater of those sources have road tax (even though they are much more expensive) it isn't legal to use on the road.

I use Aviation gas in all my off road applications and it is amazing how well they run com pared to even the pre ethanol gas.

And the price of aviation fuel is?

--
Nuvi 2460

Octane?

JebNY wrote:

I use Aviation gas in all my off road applications and it is amazing how well they run com pared to even the pre ethanol gas.

I was thinking that Aviation gas is a bunch higher octane than normally used in off road applications?

Ron

Maintainer

Who is the maintainer? Flat-six is listed as the maintainer but there is no contact info listed.

32.761930 W86.101621 are the correct coordinates for Quality Food Mart, Al Hwy 9, Equality, AL

conflict of maintainers?

Panache wrote:

Who is the maintainer? Flat-six is listed as the maintainer but there is no contact info listed.

32.761930 W86.101621 are the correct coordinates for Quality Food Mart, Al Hwy 9, Equality, AL

JM made sorrelmb the maintainer earlier this month 3/4/12 and now is showing flat_six, I wrote sorrelmb last week and he corrected a location for me quickly.

Perhaps JM can clarify who the maintainer is now.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

AVGas

RonJS wrote:
JebNY wrote:

I use Aviation gas in all my off road applications and it is amazing how well they run com pared to even the pre ethanol gas.

I was thinking that Aviation gas is a bunch higher octane than normally used in off road applications?

Ron

Avgas has several different octanes. the most common for light aircraft is 80/87 which is really regular unleaded at close to 87 octane. Then there's really high test 115/145 which has an octane of at least 115 but less than 145.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

name chage

flaco wrote:

JM made sorrelmb the maintainer earlier this month 3/4/12 and now is showing flat_six, I wrote sorrelmb last week and he corrected a location for me quickly.

Perhaps JM can clarify who the maintainer is now.

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

contact missing

JM wrote:

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

Contact info is missing for flat_six

User Option?

Panache wrote:
JM wrote:

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

Contact info is missing for flat_six

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this optional based on the user's preference?

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

?

shrifty wrote:
Panache wrote:
JM wrote:

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

Contact info is missing for flat_six

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this optional based on the user's preference?

I thought that was a requisite if you were a maintainer? else how will people contact you with problems in the file?

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Forums

flaco wrote:
shrifty wrote:
Panache wrote:
JM wrote:

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

Contact info is missing for flat_six

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this optional based on the user's preference?

I thought that was a requisite if you were a maintainer? else how will people contact you with problems in the file?

Looking at the "My account" page:

"Personal contact form
Allow other users to contact you by e-mail via your personal contact form. Note that while your e-mail address is not made public to other members of the community, privileged users such as site administrators are able to contact you even if you choose not to enable this feature."

I'm guessing the only way would be in a forum to discuss the particular POI in question.

What you are saying regarding maintainers makes sense and the contact tab should be there, however I have seen a few of them (can't recall which ones) without the contact tab.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

A maintainer should have the contact tab visible.

It only makes sense if you are a maintainer. Since the email is not visible it is not a security issue. There are a number of files maintainers that do not have their contact available and rely on the forum. That, in my opinion, is not the best way.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Thanks!

Box Car wrote:

Avgas has several different octanes. the most common for light aircraft is 80/87 which is really regular unleaded at close to 87 octane. Then there's really high test 115/145 which has an octane of at least 115 but less than 145.

Thanks for that good info!

Ron

Should be mandatory

flaco wrote:
shrifty wrote:
Panache wrote:
JM wrote:

sorrelmb changed his user name to flat_six, so I've updated the POI file page to use the new name. It's still the same person maintaining the file.

Sorry for the confusion.

Jonathan

Contact info is missing for flat_six

If I'm not mistaken, isn't this optional based on the user's preference?

I thought that was a requisite if you were a maintainer? else how will people contact you with problems in the file?

It isn't mandatory but it should be.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Av Gas

The Av Gas I'm using for my off road uses like tractors, mowers, generator, is 100 octane low lead. It runs about $1 a gallon more than regular pump gas but according to the manager of the airport has a shelf life of 3 plus years with no stabilizer needed. I have run about 50 gallons of it through my equipment so far with no problems. Everything seems to start easier and run better. I know most of my engines can't take advantage of the higher octane but they do like real gas.

Its about the BTUs...

Well, back in the 70s when biomass fuels were really being studied (under the Carter administration), it was determined that Ethanol generates about 75000 BTUs compared to gasoline which was somewhere in the 115000 BTU range (both values per gallon). So actually, it should NOT be surprising if you see a drop in MPG in your car. Just for the record, EtOH (Ethanol) is an oxygenated formulation. Oxygenated formulations simply means that they are adding additives (like Ethanol) to increase the oxygen content in the fuel. The most marketed reason for doing this is to reduce the production of carbon monoxide. That said, its true -- MPG's suffer as a result -- driving up consumption and ultimately driving up prices (and because ethanol isn't produced at the scale that say gas is -- while technically should be cheaper to make if say using biomass -- is more like buying a gourmet beer instead -- heh heh). wink

near WS NC

There is a lawnmower shop in WS that somehow gets ethanol free 93 octane gas. Last week, when I last checked, it cost $3.90 a gallon. Higher than other stations around here, and he will only sell in containers, or mower tanks, capacity less than 8 gallon, or maybe 10 gallon, not sure. Yes, due to demand, and small underground tank, it is rationed.

--
Unless you are the lead sled dog, the view never changes. I is retard... every day is Saturday! I still own the StreetPilot c340, and the Garmin Nuvi 765t, but upgraded to the NO "recalculating", 3590 LMT.

Wisconsin

The only pure gas stations I have visited in Wisconsin, which has only been a couple, has the pure gas at the premium pumps only. Is this true of all states?

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

I need to try that file

I need to try that file

Down South

I just returned from Florida today. All gas in FL has up to 10% ethanol. I discovered that "Tom Thumb" gas must have less ethanol than Citco or Shell... Returning on the back roads of Georgia & Alabama, I was ripped off by two separate stations that claimed, "No Ethanol", but my gas mileage was similar to E10. I did fill up with pure 87 octane gasoline on two other occasions, paying 25 cents more than the ethanol blend.
When I get time I will sent the corrections to the file maintainer. I'll also RECALCULATE the "break even" point of paying more for the pure.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

for all you chemical types...

Of course if you have access to some benzene/toluene lying around -- you could always add some to your gasoline tank to UP your octane rating (and offset the EtOH)...

AV gas

80/87 is not really available anymore....I use 89 non ethanol in my Cessna 150. Most aviation fuel available today is 100LL....LL is for the Low Lead content in the fuel. If used in lawn mowers etc will run very hot and cause damage to the engine.The main reason for not using ethanol in airplanes is that it eats the seals and rubber parts of the, it also does this to outboard engines and lawn mowers etc. plus the slight power loss.

the results

flaco wrote:
nrbovee wrote:

How does that price compare to what you normally pay? 3.99 is a bargain in Chicago.

I usually fuel up with cheap 87 octane with Ethanol and the going price today in my area is around $3.75 but here is the kicker Premium 90 octane with Ethanol is selling here for $3.99 the same price I paid for 90 Ethanol FREE

A little over a month after switching to ethanol FREE gas here are the results.

The Altima prior to the switch was doing consistently 23.7MPG with both city and Hwy driving taken in the calculation and now without ethanol 28.2MPG city driving only (as reported by the Altima built in computer calculator)

The current price in my area for ethanol FREE is $4.39 a gallon.

So what do you think, is it worth it?

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Its not...

The pricing offsets the benefit of increased MPG. I wouldn't pay for pure 87 at this point.

clarification

polaris_silvertree wrote:

The pricing offsets the benefit of increased MPG. I wouldn't pay for pure 87 at this point.

Just to clarify the ethanol FREE I'm using is 90 not 87

The final MPG will not be known until we do some Hwy driving and be able to compare with the e10 87 gas we were using before.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Gas

I have been told by several small engine repair shops to never put ethanol gas in anything with a carburetor

Sounds like a great POI, I

Sounds like a great POI, I wasn't aware it was available. Thanks to the maintainer of it.

e10 vs pure gas

My 96 Bonneville runs great on either fuel, but I can sure tell the lower energy levels in the e10 by the loss in gas milage.

Error in Pure-gas POI

Listing in CSV file is:
-87.6,45.2,"Yacht Works, Inc., 10967 N. Bayshore Drive, Sister Bay, WI","Ethanol-free UNBRANDED 89; GPS entered by Anders"

Line should read:
-87.119243,45.202799,"Yacht Works, Inc., 10967 N. Bayshore Drive, Sister Bay, WI","Ethanol-free UNBRANDED 89"

Erroneous location was mapped as near Menominee Michigan, while Google Maps indicates actual location, in Wisconsin!

Adding Ethanol to gas is

Adding Ethanol to gas is only a big scam. When ten percent Ethanol is added, it cuts our gas mileage down by ten percent. So I ask, "What are we saving?"
Also, Ethanol burns dirtier then gas and is very bad for our engines. It does not help the environment at all.
We are using it only because it's making someone rich!

--
Tight lines

latest file

The newest from the Pure Gas site is August, 2012.

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

In the news

Iowa governor wants EPA to keep the ethanol mandate.
http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/index.php/2012/08/22/...

Federal court dismisses suit to reverse EPA decision to allow the sale of 15% ethanol. Court says engine manufactures and refineries have no legal right to challenge EPA ruling.
Major auto makers have said their warranties won't cover damage associated with E15 fuel, even though the EPA has said E15 is safe in newer vehicles.
Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044437510457759...

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w
Page 1>>