Disappointed in 3790T

 

I purchased a Nuvi 3790T at a very good price, thinking that as the newest Nuvi, it would have the same features as my 765T but perhaps a faster processor and a new screen.

I have not had it long enough to find all that I am disappointed about but the first thing I noticed was that when I am following a route and want to search for a new waypoint to add, such as a fuel location or restaurant, along my route, I can't do it as easily as on the 765. On the 765, when I select Where to?, there is a Near option at the bottom of the screen that allows me to select along my current route or near my destination or near a different city. This is not available on the 3790.

I also find the on/off switch to be difficult to use.

I used to be able to plan a trip in MS S&T and then export the GPX file to the Nuvi. When I did this with the 3790, it seemed to work, but I couldn't locate the gpx file on the 3790.

The bmp files now are so small that I can't see them.

If anyone has any solutions to these issues, I would love to hear them.

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

.

The 'newest' is not always the 'best', especially when it comes to Garmin's standard policy of treating it's customers as guinea pigs.

Don't like your 3790? Return it. Or you might want to simply hang on, be patient and hope that perhaps one day it will morph into a butterfly, though I doubt it.

--
Currently have: SP3, GPSMAP 276c, Nuvi 760T, Nuvi 3790LMT, Zumo 660T

more usage time...

agr8skp wrote:

I have not had it long enough to find all that I am disappointed about but the first thing I noticed was that when I am following a route and want to search for a new waypoint to add, such as a fuel location or restaurant, along my route, I can't do it as easily as on the 765. On the 765, when I select Where to?, there is a Near option at the bottom of the screen that allows me to select along my current route or near my destination or near a different city. This is not available on the 3790.

This is very easy to do once you realize there are more options menus...

While on a route and you wish to find another POI on your route, near the destination, etc....

1. Press "Where To?"
2. Press the 3Bar menu option at the upper-left corner (three stacked horizontal bars)
3. Press "Near"
4. Your options are now:

a. Where I am now
b. A Different City
c. Recent Destination
d. Favorite Destination
e. My Current Route
f. My Destination

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

Less buttons then before but

Less buttons then before but all the same features as previous models. Personally I think its the Best GPS that Garmin has ever made. Best looking screen and colors. Better traffic. It's not perfect but it's great. I wish they would add route avoidance then it would be a perfect 10.

Agree

agr8skp wrote:

I also find the on/off switch to be difficult to use.

I used to be able to plan a trip in MS S&T and then export the GPX file to the Nuvi. When I did this with the 3790, it seemed to work, but I couldn't locate the gpx file on the 3790.

The bmp files now are so small that I can't see them.

If anyone has any solutions to these issues, I would love to hear them.

Agree that the power switch maybe a bit hard to use but you'll get used to how to use it fast enough.

The problem with copying routes is an know issue and will be corrected by a firmware update, hopefully soon.

The .bmp icons being so small you can't see them is a trade off. The beautiful screen is a result of a very high resolution (800x600) but the trade off is that those little (22x22) icons are next to impossible to see at that resolution. You could always use your favorite graphic editing program to increase the size of the icon but because the original file is so small, they go out of focus pretty quick when you try to enlarge them.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Thanks for the warning

I am thinking about upgrading. Thanks for the info on this model.

guy

--
guy-----C320>nuvi 200>Nuvi 255W

Disappointed In 3790T Too

Yes, I also find the on/off switch difficult to use.

Also, when I contacted Garmin about the add-in 'alert' sounds (and some other problems), they advise that this unit does not play the MP3 'alert' sounds.

Wnen approaching a Red Light Camera a tiny black bar (very difficult to read wnen your driving) pops up and you get the built-in "pinging" alert.

Rest Areas Combined does not alert me when I am in the proximity of one. (Yes, I tried puutting it in in "Manua" mode with the POI loader).

For the price, I'm not impressed with this unit.

Jim

THe more I read stuff like this..

the more I think it's wiser to stick with my 4 year old nuvi 350. It lacks bells and whistles and speedy processors, and the battery is shot, but it works well. And it's paid for.

Maybe it's time to slow down the gee-whiz-isn't-this-cool technophile train, and send Garmin and other companies a message of quality over whiz bang newness full of bugs and aggravation.

Just my 2 cents.

GC

--
Nuvi 350, GPS Map 76CX

MS S&T to Nuvi

I have a 765T and MS S&T 2010. I'm having the same problem you are having with your 3790T. The route appears to transfer to the unit correctly, but I can't locate it on the Garmin. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can you tell me, step-by-step, how you transfer your routes from S&T to the 765T?

New is DIFFERENT

You may be experiencing the standard response to CHANGE, and a loss of the "comfort" you had with what was familiar. The 3790 probably has a lot of new bells and whistles that will - eventually - prove to be better than your 765. New is different but not immediately better.

3790

gadget_man wrote:

Less buttons then before but all the same features as previous models. Personally I think its the Best GPS that Garmin has ever made. Best looking screen and colors. Better traffic. It's not perfect but it's great. I wish they would add route avoidance then it would be a perfect 10.

GadgetMan,

You mention that the 3790 has "Better Traffic".

How so? Are they using a new/different traffic provider other than TMC or NavTeq ?

Thanks.

@ JimmyB9 - Shouldn't be

Shouldn't be disappointed with the 3790 as all of your issues (except the power switch) are either explainable or have been fixed.

- you can't play MP3 alert sounds because the unit doesn't support MP3. This is the case with many Nuvi models. The fix is to convert all your MP3 alert files to .WAV files and you will get all your alerts back. The process has been explained here before and can also be found on Gary Hayman's excellent site http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html

The other examples you list (camera alerts and rest stop alerts) would be fixed again by converting the MP3 files to WAV files and insuring that you have the latest firmware update, 2.50 installed.

Not much can be done about the size of the alert box that appears on the screen. That's a trade off and the price you currently have to pay to get the superior screen resolution .

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

@ spullis - Not the

@spullis - Not the same problem at all. The problem with the 3790 is that currently eventhough you can transfer a route from S&T or Mapsource to the 3790, the unit needs a firmware update in order to use the file that is transferred.

Your issue with the 765T is probably that after you transferred the gpx file to the device you haven't gone to Tools - My Data - Import Routes(s) and imported the downloaded routes into the device. Once you do that they will appear in Where To? - Routes.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Good Enough

I'll second the comment by GC0110. I am still happy with my nuvi 350 and don't find a need for anything more. I probably wouldn't remember how to use all the new features unless I used it all the time which I don't.

Power Button

one push tap to turn on.

two options for off: one push= standby(several Weeks)
push and hold for 4 sec's=power down for long storage.

better traffic

pratzert wrote:
gadget_man wrote:

Less buttons then before but all the same features as previous models. Personally I think its the Best GPS that Garmin has ever made. Best looking screen and colors. Better traffic. It's not perfect but it's great. I wish they would add route avoidance then it would be a perfect 10.

GadgetMan,

You mention that the 3790 has "Better Traffic".

How so? Are they using a new/different traffic provider other than TMC or NavTeq ?

Thanks.

I took a trip from Chicago to North Carolina with my Garmin 1490t and 3790 side by side and the traffic was a lot more responsive and accurate on the 3790. The 3790 alerted me of EVERY traffic situation on this trip while the 1490 missed most of the same signals. I know that have different model receivers but the 3790 was right most of the time. I've owned almost all of Garmin's top-of-line units and the 3790 has the most reliable traffic that I have seen in a Garmin unit. In the past I couldn't trust what the Garmin was stating so I kept driving and noticed that there was no traffic when the Garmin stated otherwise. This is not a true statement with the 3790. It routed me around a 10 mile backup(per CB conversations with truckers) in Tennessee and to me that was worth the price of the unit.

.

^^ I seriously question the validity of your statements because AFAIK all Garmin models use the same traffic providers. So I fail to see how a newer model would have "better" traffic considering its using the same traffic service as an older model.

Or is this another case of someone hyping a Garmin product.

Garmin 3790T issues

agr8skp wrote:

I purchased a Nuvi 3790T at a very good price, thinking that as the newest Nuvi, it would have the same features as my 765T but perhaps a faster processor and a new screen.

I have not had it long enough to find all that I am disappointed about but the first thing I noticed was that when I am following a route and want to search for a new waypoint to add, such as a fuel location or restaurant, along my route, I can't do it as easily as on the 765. On the 765, when I select Where to?, there is a Near option at the bottom of the screen that allows me to select along my current route or near my destination or near a different city. This is not available on the 3790.

I also find the on/off switch to be difficult to use.

I used to be able to plan a trip in MS S&T and then export the GPX file to the Nuvi. When I did this with the 3790, it seemed to work, but I couldn't locate the gpx file on the 3790.

The bmp files now are so small that I can't see them.

If anyone has any solutions to these issues, I would love to hear them.

I agreed with all the complains. Even worse, my 3790 frozen many times during 2000 miles trip. Sometimes it won't show up map only blank screen. Other times the screen frozen have to reset the unit.

Thanks for that info. I

Thanks for that info. I guess I just didn't read far enough in the manual. This helps a lot.

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

I thought we were limited to

I thought we were limited to 24X24. How big can we make the icons?

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

In The Market

I'm in the market for a new unit, so my question is the newer models or an older one for a decent price. I was considering a 765 or one of the new ones.

Decided on the 765t

.

agr8skp wrote:

I thought we were limited to 24X24. How big can we make the icons?

Do me a favor and load this icon to associate with a POI as a test, it's 70x70 px: http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES.bmp

It doesn't matter which one, but do it so you can see it close to home.

After doing a calculation, this should be OK to use on the 37xx's, and relative to screen resolution.

Let me know how it works.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Doubled

agr8skp wrote:

I thought we were limited to 24X24. How big can we make the icons?

Doubled the size of the icons on one POI file to 48x48 and could be seen on the 3790 screen but were out of focus because of stretching them to double their original size.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

.

Try the one I created above...

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Re: 3790T

Sounds like most reviews, some love it, some hate it. I love my 765T so I think I will stick with that and wait a while before moving up.

I don't know much about the

I don't know much about the structure of these icon files. I have noticed that the two icons that do show up on my 3790T are 24X24 but have an 8 bit depth. All the icons that don't show have a 24 bit depth. Does this make any sense and does anyone know how to change bit depth so we can test this?

Thanks

Indexed Color

dlnaugle wrote:

I don't know much about the structure of these icon files. I have noticed that the two icons that do show up on my 3790T are 24X24 but have an 8 bit depth. All the icons that don't show have a 24 bit depth. Does this make any sense and does anyone know how to change bit depth so we can test this?

Thanks

24 bit color has 8 bits of intensity per color (Red, Green & Blue)for each pixel. 8 bit color has an 8 bit index to a color lookup table containing up to 256 different colors. With a program like Photoshop, it is possible to switch between 24 bit and 8 bit color. My experience with icons seems to indicate that the icons need to be indexed (8 bit) color.
Mark

I'll try today

Juggernaut wrote:
agr8skp wrote:

I thought we were limited to 24X24. How big can we make the icons?

Do me a favor and load this icon to associate with a POI as a test, it's 70x70 px: http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES.bmp

It doesn't matter which one, but do it so you can see it close to home.

After doing a calculation, this should be OK to use on the 37xx's, and relative to screen resolution.

Let me know how it works.

I'll try it today and let you know this afternoon.

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

Didn't work as planned

I tried using your big heart, but what I saw on the screen was a white square the same size as the original picture with the lower right corner showing the top left corner of the heart. I took a snapshot of the screen but I don't know how to include it in this post.

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

ok

So, what I can surmise is, 70x70 is too large for the icon. Here are 2 more: a 50px and a 40px.

http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES_40px.bmp

http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES_50px.bmp

Yes, I know the BG is black now. grin I just need to figure out the correct size for you guys and gals.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

I Tried

Juggernaut wrote:

Do me a favor and load this icon to associate with a POI as a test, it's 70x70 px: http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES.bmp

It doesn't matter which one, but do it so you can see it close to home.

After doing a calculation, this should be OK to use on the 37xx's, and relative to screen resolution.

Let me know how it works.

I tried your .bmp file on my 3970. I get the top left portion of the bitmap and nothing else, as shown on this picture:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/70icon.png

The 40 x 40 and 50 x 50 are visible but barely. Still very small on the 3790 screen.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

.

I'll try a 30px... This is silly for a high-res screen! LMAO!

http://members.shaw.ca/anon_y_mous/images/FVRTES_30px.bmp

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Don't know

Don't know why but I created a gpx file and used the 30px icon, then another gpx file and used the 40px file, then a gpx file with the 50px file and finally the last gpx file with the 70px icon file.

I ran POIloader and created one poi.gpi file with the 4 gpx and bmp files in it.

When I view the icons on the 3790 map screen they all look exactly the same as your original 70px icon, that is only the top left corner of the icon is being displayed as per the pic I posted above, whether I'm looking at 30px.gpx, 40px.gpx, 50px.gpx or 70px.gpx locations.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

No difference?

That is absolutely goofy on the part on Garmin. WTH?

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Yes

Yes, it's goofy. Here is a screenshot of the 4 files I used which is really the AAA file found on this site renamed to 4 different GPX files:

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/icontest/PXi...

Hopefully someone can figure out if I did something wrong but here is what I see for each icon size:

30px
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/icontest/AAA...

40px
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/icontest/AAA...

50px
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/icontest/AAA...

70px
http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad75/t923347/icontest/AAA...

Having no idea how you created these icons I found it strange that they all show with a white background when your last few had a black background. Just to be sure I wasn't screwing up in creating the poi.gpi file I created a new one just using the AAA50.gpx and AAA50.bmp file (which had a black background). It still shows up with a white background rolleyes

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Photoshop 7

That's how I created them. BUT, I just opened and resized the 70x70 instead of the original.

However, it looks like Garmin has restricted the maximum icon size, so they can't be enlarged. How dumb is that?

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

There's

There's that plus the fact that I've read either here or on another site that the icon is restricted to 256 colors. Anything over that it will not show on the 37xx screen at any size. I noticed your heart icon was 256 colors.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

.

Yes, it was 256, 8 bit, and indexed.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Mini icons

Was a solution found to the too-small icons displaying on the 3790?

I recently got a 3790 and have loaded some POIs and .bmp's. But, the icons displayed on the screen are there, but nearly illegible.

3790 icon images not showing up

I opened a support question with Garmin on this topic of the icons not showing up on the 3790, yet the exact same icons will show up on an older 260W.
After convincing the support person that I did not change anything between the two, I asked them to check with the development team as others (you guys) were also having trouble. I sent then 3 BMP files - PetroCanada, Shell and Starbucks, which are straight out of these forums.
The only one that I know worked is the PetroCanada icon because the BMP file is 24x24 and 8-bit (ie 256 colors). Any others that are 24x24 x 24-bit will not show up.

The response came back from Garmin confirmed that there is a bug and that they are working on the issue for a future release.
They did not comment about these icon being so small that they are unreadable! Has anyone asked them?

24 bit color

terryheintz wrote:

The only one that I know worked is the PetroCanada icon because the BMP file is 24x24 and 8-bit (ie 256 colors). Any others that are 24x24 x 24-bit will not show up.

The response came back from Garmin confirmed that there is a bug and that they are working on the issue for a future release.
They did not comment about these icon being so small that they are unreadable! Has anyone asked them?

Some GPSs will show the 24 bit color and other s won't. My wife and daughter's 765Ts wil, my zumo 660 won't. I am surprised that the 3790 won't. I don't know if there is a list of GPSs that will and won't.

As far as the size. It already takes me 5-10 tries to tap an icon on the screen on the zumo's 480x272 screen with my fat fingers, I might as well give up on icons completely if I go to a 800x480 pixel screen that's still just 4.3" diagonal. I'd never see it to try and tap it. It is useless if you are driving.

--
Harley BOOM GTS, Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts, 1450LMT, 1350LM & others | 2019 Harley Ultra Limited Shrine - Peace Officer Dark Blue

I purchased a Nuvi 3790T at a very good price

And Garmin thanks you, for joining the ranks of Nuvi firmware beta testers! They should be giving them away since, they don't have a software department capable of getting one out the door without a glitch or two or three then running them passed our beta tests.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

@Gadget_Man > I don't even bother turning on the traffic >>>

in my 1490...tea leaves and squirrel bones are better predictors than the 1490...Garmin should take everything they've built since the 530/550 series...junk it...stretch the 530/550 screens to 5"...add 16gb or more of memory and get back to making great GPSr units...if I want a toaster I buy a toaster, not a cumquat wink

--
"You can't get there from here"