Is there a character limit in the description/comment portion of a CSV POI?

 

I've developed some CSV POIs using four excel columns. I've been adding address and other description in the fourth column. At first, I just added a description and my Nuvi would display all the text. Then I got fancy and started using <*br*> and <*b*> coding. Now, my Nuvi cuts off the length of the description to only about the first 100 characters.

Here is an example of a fouth excel column entry (with * add so the coding displays in this thread):

===================
8601 S.W 24th Ave.<*br*>Portland, Oregon 97219<*br*>503-246-9007<*br*><*br*><*b*>(From Travel Channel*>TV Shows*>101 Chowdown Countdown*>No. xx)<*/b*> The Original Pancake House is a chain of pancake houses across the United States. The original opened in 1953 in Portland, Oregon by Les Highet and Erma Hueneke. They soon franchised the name into Original Pancake Houses across the country. They are well known for their breakfast foods; their signature dishes are the Apple Pancake, Dutch Baby and omelets. They now have over one hundred franchises throughout the United States. Chef and food critic James Beard, who grew up in Portland, named The Original Pancake House as one of the top ten "best" in America. In 1999, the Original Pancake House in Portland was designated by the James Beard Foundation as a regional landmark restaurant for time immemorial.

===================
My Nuvi only displays up to "... The Original Pancake House is a chain of pancake houses across the United"

How do I get my Nuvi 350 to display all that text? Thanks.

--
Vince Nuvi 350

I think a gpx will do it

I'm not familiar with limits on the 350, but a while back I built a poi with a lot of text using Extra_POI_Editor and saved it as a .gpx file and the More button popped up on my nuvi displaying the extra paragraphs of text I had included. Give it a try or maybe someone else will chime in with specifics.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

As TXRVer said

A GPX may meet your needs, but you need to be aware of copying descriptions from a copyrighted web site for use in your file. POI-Factory would need permission to "reprint" the data when the file is posted for distribution.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Question?

VinceCANuvi wrote:

I've developed some CSV POIs using four excel columns. I've been adding address and other description in the fourth column. At first, I just added a description and my Nuvi would display all the text. Then I got fancy and started using <*br*> and <*b*> coding. Now, my Nuvi cuts off the length of the description to only about the first 100 characters.

Here is an example of a fouth excel column entry (with * add so the coding displays in this thread):

===================
8601 S.W 24th Ave.<*br*>Portland, Oregon 97219<*br*>503-246-9007<*br*><*br*><*b*>(From Travel Channel*>TV Shows*>101 Chowdown Countdown*>No. xx)<*/b*> The Original Pancake House is a chain of pancake houses across the United States. The original opened in 1953 in Portland, Oregon by Les Highet and Erma Hueneke. They soon franchised the name into Original Pancake Houses across the country. They are well known for their breakfast foods; their signature dishes are the Apple Pancake, Dutch Baby and omelets. They now have over one hundred franchises throughout the United States. Chef and food critic James Beard, who grew up in Portland, named The Original Pancake House as one of the top ten "best" in America. In 1999, the Original Pancake House in Portland was designated by the James Beard Foundation as a regional landmark restaurant for time immemorial.

===================
My Nuvi only displays up to "... The Original Pancake House is a chain of pancake houses across the United"

How do I get my Nuvi 350 to display all that text? Thanks.

Do you want everything above to be seen on your Nuvi? Why would anyone want all of that to pop up every time they got close to an Original Pancake House? Just a question. Maybe there is a reason for it, but I fail to see it.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Copyright?

Can a website be copyrighted? I'm not a lawyer, but it would seem that if someone posts text on a publicly accessible website, that info is public domain. If text is extracted from a government website, it belongs to us all. A restaurant or POI site description is free advertizing. Nothing would ever get posted if everything had to pass a plagiarism checker.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Copying

Copying an address for POI purposes, there are no legal issues involved.

--
TOMTOM - LG LN740 - Magellan Roadmate 1430 - Garmin Nüvi 255W - Garmin 2455LMT

Copyright.

dave817 wrote:

Can a website be copyrighted?

Yes,web content can be copyrighted just like any other intellectual property. Just because you can view it on its originally published medium doesn't mean it is public domain or that it can be reproduced without permission.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

The extra stuff will need to

The extra stuff will need to be removed from all files. It is Copyright protected. Facts such as addresses, phone numbers and locations are ok. Creative writing of description is intellectual property.

Miss POI

Copyright issues aside...

Copyright issues aside.. the OPs question intrigued me so (having too much time on my hands..) I made two files, one csv and one gpx. I put 5K chrs in col3 and col4 (csv) and in Name, Comment, & Description (gpx).

POI Loader passes through all 5k chrs in each when it creates the gpi file.

On my 765T however, only the following show on the screens:
Name(csv col3) on 'list bar'- 42 chrs in either format
Name(csv col3) on 1st screen- 371 chrs in either format
Name(csv col3) on more screen- 1146 chrs in either format
CSV Col4 1146 chrs
GPX Comment 1146 chrs
GPX Description 5k chrs

shock (Don't ask why.. I just have to know these things).

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

Yup, gotta know this too

miss poi wrote:

The extra stuff will need to be removed from all files. It is Copyright protected. Facts such as addresses, phone numbers and locations are ok. Creative writing of description is intellectual property.

Miss POI

Don't recall seeing it mentioned anyplace before Miss POI, so I gotta ask.. Wikipedia descriptive text/content is ok though, yes?

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

The above text is from Wikipedia

The above text is from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Pancake_House, which is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.

--
Vince Nuvi 350

But your post

Your post of the information you wanted to display didn't include the attribution. If the addition of the attribution is all that is required, it would have to be repeated each time you displayed the text. That's just the way it works.

Even though you state where the text came from in the file, the question is if Miss POI and Jon would allow it on a site they are responsible for. My guess, and it's only a guess is they would ask you to remove the text as they don't want to have to defend the site against a possible lawsuit.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Absolutely!

dave817 wrote:

Can a website be copyrighted?

According to the 'Software Copyright Law':
"In the United States, an original work becomes protected by the copyright laws from the moment it is 'fixed in a tangible medium'." (Disk, floppy, HD, etc). Registration is optional.

We ran into this when we were in competition for developing a Homeowners' website. We did the leg-work ... took and posted the photos. Their website just copied our photos. As soon as this was brought to the attention of the Governing Board, their site was instantly removed. Although it's not necessary, that's why many websites include Copyright statements (including POI Factory).

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

??

OK, so what's everyone saying here? Or, most importantly What's the POI Factory's policy on Wikipedia content in a POI?

I (personally) would guess that if a description included the required attribution at the end of the description text, it complies with legal requirements. Something on the order of what was stated, ie.

The above text is work released under CC-BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Pancake_House.

Yes? No?

As for artwork & pictures I would guess the same thing, but I also know that the gpx format has fields specifically for copyright attribution that could be used.

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

A Nice "May I" Will Suffice ....

JD4x4 wrote:

... I (personally) would guess that if a description included the required attribution at the end of the description text, it complies with legal requirements. Something on the order of what was stated, ie.

The above text is work released under CC-BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Pancake_House.

Yes? No?

As for artwork & pictures I would guess the same thing, but I also know that the gpx format has fields specifically for copyright attribution that could be used.

I'd be careful about basing my decisions on "would guess". Many times a nice "May I" is sufficient as many, if not most, webmasters will gladly share their information. Sometimes they understandably will require a reference; and many won't give approval to post their info on an offensive website. Sometimes info cannot be copied without written permission. Stealing photos from another's website is a big no-no.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Only referring to Wikipedia

retiredtechnician wrote:

I'd be careful about basing my decisions on "would guess". Many times a nice "May I" is sufficient as many, if not most, webmasters will gladly share their information. Sometimes they understandably will require a reference; and many won't give approval to post their info on an offensive website. Sometimes info cannot be copied without written permission. Stealing photos from another's website is a big no-no.

RT

I should have been more clear than just 'Or, most importantly What's the POI Factory's policy on Wikipedia content in a POI?' -

All of what I said/was asking is in reference to (and only to) content from Wikipedia.

But since I already did a search on it and didn't find a direct answer, and since this is off of the op's original topic..I'm going to start it as a new thread.

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

Pictures

retiredtechnician wrote:
JD4x4 wrote:

... I (personally) would guess that if a description included the required attribution at the end of the description text, it complies with legal requirements. Something on the order of what was stated, ie.

The above text is work released under CC-BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Pancake_House.

Yes? No?

As for artwork & pictures I would guess the same thing, but I also know that the gpx format has fields specifically for copyright attribution that could be used.

I'd be careful about basing my decisions on "would guess". Many times a nice "May I" is sufficient as many, if not most, webmasters will gladly share their information. Sometimes they understandably will require a reference; and many won't give approval to post their info on an offensive website. Sometimes info cannot be copied without written permission. Stealing photos from another's website is a big no-no.

RT

I recently had the brilliant idea to make a bitmap of the shoulder patch of the Ohio State Highway Patrol to include with the Ohio State Patrol POI. I knew that the shoulder patch (along with everything else) displaying the Flying Wheel was copyrighted. I sent an e-mail to the Patrol requesting permission to use the patch as a bmp. They stated that I would have to fill out all kinds of paperwork (not their words, but implied,) to get the permission. Needless to say, I dropped the subject.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Thanks for all your replies.

In my original post, I posted an example of a fourth excel column entry in this thread so that I personally could work on the length issue using my Nuvi 350. The fair use content in my original post was/is not something that I am using in a POI posted at poi-factory. The Wikipedia discussion was continued at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/27376

In regards to my original request, JD4x4 (above) came up with a better way to study the issue. In the end, I solved the length issue by taking maddog67's sage advice above. Thanks for all your replies.

--
Vince Nuvi 350

Removing the text works, I guess

VinceCANuvi wrote:

In my original post, I posted an example of a fourth excel column entry in this thread so that I personally could work on the length issue using my Nuvi 350. The fair use content in my original post was/is not something that I am using in a POI posted at poi-factory. The Wikipedia discussion was continued at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/27376

In regards to my original request, JD4x4 (above) came up with a better way to study the issue. In the end, I solved the length issue by taking maddog67's sage advice above. Thanks for all your replies.

Removing it works, I guess. But in the case that you wanted a narrative like that I think it's now clear (to me anyway) that it needs to be in the Description field of a gpx if you want more than 1k chrs. to show. So thanks for the education!

Having it in the Description field of gpx also ensures that it wouldn't appear on the 'list' bar and would only show up after the address on the 'Go' or details screens, so I wouldn't find that terribly objectionable.

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

CSV Character Limits

VinceCANuvi,

Going back to your original question about CSV character limits in the comment and description fields. Yes, there are CSV limits, but they are GPS limitations. On the Nuvi 680, the CSV third field (the name field) will only display two lines of data with 32 characters in each line. So that is a 64 character limit in the CSV name field. Any additional characters in the name field are truncated.

For the fourth CSV field, with a 680, there are also limits. I know that 30,000 characters in the fourth field will lock my GPS up when I try to view it. The 680 will allow over 11,000 characters to be displayed in the fourth CSV field. You can tell that the processing time is beginning to slightly slow (3 seconds to view), but that is 18 "MORE" screens completely packed with data. That is a lot more data than I want to read from a GPS screen.

CSV is different from GPX for character and description fields. The GPX fields are well defined allowing you to specifically place data in the address field, comment field, description field or several other fields. The CSV fourth field is a single field that will start displaying GPS data after the third or what most people call the "name" field. I'm not sure what people call the fourth CSV field, but that field usually will include address data. If you have a enough data in the fourth CSV field, it will spill over into the GPS "MORE" screen(s).

Also, I've discovered just like you have that HTML code <*br*> can create issues with reducing the amount of data allowed in a field. I've seen limits at 175 characters, 225 characters and 1024 characters when using HTML code. I've used some large amounts of HTML code (1273 characters in the CSV fourth field) that wasn't affected by any limitations. I don't know why that occurs, but it is very inconsistent. It is probably something in the code that triggers the GPS to truncate the remaining data.

On the Nuvi 680, any HTML code including <*br*> is not recognized unless it is on the "MORE" screen.

--
Jake88

CSV Character Limits

Jake88 wrote:

VinceCANuvi,

Going back to your original question about CSV character limits in the comment and description fields. Yes, there are CSV limits, but they are GPS limitations. On the Nuvi 680, the CSV third field (the name field) will only display two lines of data with 32 characters in each line. So that is a 64 character limit in the CSV name field. Any additional characters in the name field are truncated.

For the fourth CSV field, with a 680, there are also limits. I know that 30,000 characters in the fourth field will lock my GPS up when I try to view it. The 680 will allow over 11,000 characters to be displayed in the fourth CSV field. You can tell that the processing time is beginning to slightly slow (3 seconds to view), but that is 18 "MORE" screens completely packed with data. That is a lot more data than I want to read from a GPS screen.

CSV is different from GPX for character and description fields. The GPX fields are well defined allowing you to specifically place data in the address field, comment field, description field or several other fields. The CSV fourth field is a single field that will start displaying GPS data after the third or what most people call the "name" field. I'm not sure what people call the fourth CSV field, but that field usually will include address data. If you have a enough data in the fourth CSV field, it will spill over into the GPS "MORE" screen(s).

Also, I've discovered just like you have that HTML code <*br*> can create issues with reducing the amount of data allowed in a field. I've seen limits at 175 characters, 225 characters and 1024 characters when using HTML code. I've used some large amounts of HTML code (1273 characters in the CSV fourth field) that wasn't affected by any limitations. I don't know why that occurs, but it is very inconsistent. It is probably something in the code that triggers the GPS to truncate the remaining data.

On the Nuvi 680, any HTML code including <*br*> is not recognized unless it is on the "MORE" screen.

Thanks for the feedback. I posted initially because I was having problems in getting my CSV column 4 to show all the text and offer a "MORE" option. The "MORE" buttons were there, but they were not activated. Also, my original thinking was to make each entry like a webpage - enough info to tell you great details about the location you were visiting. That comes from me sitting infront of a computer all day and not getting out there. maddog67 point above - "Do you want everything above to be seen on your Nuvi? Why would anyone want all of that to pop up every time" - made me rethink my approach.

A point of traveling is to get to a location and discover things for yourself. Now, a goal is to provide the very minimum amount of CSV column details (the name of the POI file, perhaps a phone number, and why that location is in the file). For example, in the 101 Tastiest Places to Chowdown POI, the column 4 details for "Voodoo Doughnut" is "1501 N. E. Davis St,<*br*>Portland, OR 97232<*br*><*br*><*b*>From Travel Channel 101 Chowdown Countdown No. 20:<*/b*> one-of-a-kind doughnuts" This also has a benefit of avoiding copyright issues as suggested above by a_user and Miss POI.

I started using the HTML code including <*br*> because I saw it in someone else's CSV file. There's probably a better approach, so if someone has suggestion on that, that would help.

--
Vince Nuvi 350

After reading this

After reading this thread:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/23417

It looks like you'll have to use <*br*> with a Nuvi 350.

--
Jake88

<*BR*>

& lt;BR&gt ;
Take out the spacing to get:
<BR>

--
Jake88

POI files work better on some Garmins than other Garmins

Jake88 wrote:

After reading this thread:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/23417

It looks like you'll have to use <*br*> with a Nuvi 350.

Here's the operative post from node/23417

whoaboy wrote:

at http://www.poi-factory.com/node/23417

If you are the type person who appreciates a neat, orderly and easy to read “Go!” page, then you will surely be interested in the following table:

Unit/Line break needed
255W/<br>
260W/<br>
350/<br>
660/pipe (|) or LF
750/pipe (|) or LF
755T/<br>
765T/LF
760/pipe (|) or LF
780/pipe (|) or LF
2720/pipe* (|) or LF
C330/LF
C340/LF
C550/LF

* Effects a break, but character shows on display.
“LF” is the invisible control character otherwise known as “ALT+ENTER”.
It’s easy to convert from one type break to another using TurboCCC’s Extra_POI_Editor V 3.84 or later linked above.

Please let us know which type line break your unit likes if it is not included above.

I wasn't aware that BR didn't work on some Garmins. Doesn't sound very customer friendly. I have a 350, so I'll continue to use BR, but I don't like the idea that other Garmins won't show the breaks.

--
Vince Nuvi 350