Saving POI Icons on a MAC

 

I'm new to the forum, and recently purchased a nüvi 785T. I downloaded some of the icons available at POI Factory, and following the directions saved them. I went to the POI Loader, but the .bmp icons did not load. I was wondering if there is a different procedure to save a .bmp icon to a Mac.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Saving POI Icons On A MAC

flydcjets wrote:

I'm new to the forum, and recently purchased a nüvi 785T. I downloaded some of the icons available at POI Factory, and following the directions saved them. I went to the POI Loader, but the .bmp icons did not load. I was wondering if there is a different procedure to save a .bmp icon to a Mac.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi flydcjets,

In order for an "icon" to work with a "specific poi" file, they must have the same "prefix" of the poi file, they're associated with...

For example, let's say you have a poi file named..."myfile.csv", then your "icon file" must be re-named "myfile.bmp" and the same goes for sound files. The associated sound file must also be named, for example, myfile.mp3 or myfile.wav.

myfile.csv
myfile.bmp
myfile.mp3 (or myfile.wav)

HTH (hope that helps)

Regards,

Tailspin

Nüvi 670 & 880
Mac Pro & OS 10.5.7

--
Sullivan's Law: Murphy was an optimist!

I am having the same

I am having the same problem. I have also tried loading the icons from my PC. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on the Garmin. I get the files loaded-but where do they go? And how do I associate them? Starbucks.csv is also Starbucks.bmp.....but nothing! Arg!

You are going to have to

You are going to have to zoom in close on the gps map to see the icon.To check and make sure you did download the custom icon.Select any one of your custom pois that you have a custom icon for.When you get to Go To don't touch it.Look at bottom of the screen and you will see map.Touch map and if you downloaded it correctly you will see the custom icon(bmp).

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Converted and Embedded

sgtdizzy wrote:

I am having the same problem. I have also tried loading the icons from my PC. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place on the Garmin. I get the files loaded-but where do they go? And how do I associate them? Starbucks.csv is also Starbucks.bmp.....but nothing! Arg!

They've been converted and all reside within a single file...

POI.GPI

Best way to find if you prepped and loaded it correctly is power up the GPS, >> Where To >> Extras >> Custom POIs

If you organized them into folders, you'll see those to choose from and then the related POIs.

I just did it myself, checked a few, found my alert sounds, some distances....

Some that I need to rethink what I did... but it's mostly all there to be checked.

--
The Wizard of Ahhhhhhhs - Earned my Windmill 4/12/2010

still nothing...

The map was a great idea, thanks. HOWEVER....the location is there, but no icon-just the standard gray dot. Now what? sigh....

The biggest problems with

The biggest problems with the alerts and icons not working are the files not being named the same except for extensions and having double extensions. Double-check each of them. The best way to prevent double extensions is to go to your folder options in the control panel and click view then find hide extensions for known file types and remove the check mark. Click ok

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Not on a MAC

charlesd45 wrote:

The best way to prevent double extensions is to go to your folder options in the control panel and click view then find hide extensions for known file types and remove the check mark. Click ok

That's only for those of us running Windoze.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Are you saying you can't get

Are you saying you can't get double extensions on a mac?

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

That i don't know

charlesd45 wrote:

Are you saying you can't get double extensions on a mac?

But i do know they don't have a Control Panel as that is Windows.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Would think they have some

Would think they have some method to prevent double extensions.I saw several methods on the web.I was using windows as my example for finding the location.Maybe not a good idea on a Mac forum.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

They Does

Yes, you can prevent double extensions on a mac. In the main window title bar select "Preferences" from the Finder drop down menu, click on the "Advanced" icon & check-off "Show all file extensions."

This came in handy when I set-up my POI files (found a few that had a double extension). No problems since.

Hope this helps.

--
Not lost anymore. Well, not as it pertains to driving anyway. -Garmin Nuvi 765t, 56 unt Mac user.

Works

Poifect wrote:

Yes, you can prevent double extensions on a mac. In the main window title bar select "Preferences" from the Finder drop down menu, click on the "Advanced" icon & check-off "Show all file extensions."

This came in handy when I set-up my POI files (found a few that had a double extension). No problems since.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, worked!