Just a sad story....

 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32340356/ns/us_news-life

An infamous and inhospitable (unless you're a reptile) place living up to its name. Just goes to show that even with some supplies, a GPSr, and a cellphone that this may not be enough to save your life.

--
Peter

Sure is

That sure is a sad story. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks who put far too much faith in the GPS alone. Carrying a paper topo map of the area and a compass is always a smart move. Had the woman told family members of her exact plans and checked in with park authorities, perhaps the outcome would have been much better.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT Oregon 450 - Always drink upstream from the herd.

Compass and map

Very few people these days know how to use a compass and/or a map. It's quite sad. Our society has become so dependant on technology. We'll even follow it to our death without ever checking to see if it's right.

--
Jesus died for your sins. If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Sad

Tragic not to check in with park ranger but really dumb not telling someone your planned route. As was stated, most people rely on the GPS way to much. A good map should be part of any trip. You never know when the GPS might die.

--
Nuvi 750 and 755T

Just sad

Even with a map they might not have survived the trek.

I lived near where this

I lived near where this tragedy happened for 10 years and it is sad how many people lost their lives due to poor judgment and lack of planning. The desert is no place for the untrained in survival situation. One of the other dangers is hypothermia in the cooler months. The temperatures drop fairly low at night and people are not prepared. As mentioned before it is important to check in before venturing into a wilderness area so that someone knows where to look if you do not come out on time.

--
John B - Garmin 765T

Spot

A good investment for those who venture away from civilisation:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Don't leave home without one.

--
Currently have: SP3, GPSMAP 276c, Nuvi 760T, Nuvi 3790LMT, Zumo 660T

lack of preparation. lack of

lack of preparation. lack of common sense. stupid.
it has nothing to do with a GPS. they call it Death Valley BECAUSE PEOPLE DIE THERE. big hint.
only darwin can cure stupidity. and did.

--
GPS Models : 60CSX w/2GB Kingston (stolen), 32GB Samsung INNOV8 with Garmin Mobile XT(8GB), NUVI 760 w/16GB PSF16GSDHC6 (DIED in 30 days), V (died), Nokia N8 with Garmin Mobile XT(48GB), Blackberry Torch with Google Maps.

Preparation!

It takes preparation...

In January my girl and I took a two week long journey around northern Az and southern Utah. I built a poi file in Google Earth with every location we were considering going to for making photographs, including a number of places that were well off the beaten path. I converted that to a gpx file to be used in our GPS, but I also sent out the KMZ file to several different friends and family. I also sent them our itinerary and the main roads we planned to take. We checked in with someone every day and let them know our planned destination for the next day. On days when we knew we'd be out of contact we let them know ahead of time when they should expect us to make contact.

All of this would allow for a rapid dispatch of rescue if we did not check in, practically to the exact location we could be found. Maybe we went a bit overboard and we're very happy we didn't need these backups, but it sure made for much more worry-free travel when we were in the middle of nowhere...

Your $200 GPSr can be a life saver or it can kill you, depending on the preparations you've made. Or have failed to make...

--
Nuvi 2595LMT, Nuvi 1490T, Nuvi 260, GPSMAP 195

wow that is very sad indeed

wow that is very sad indeed

Lack of Preparation, Lack of

zurk wrote:

lack of preparation. lack of common sense. stupid.
it has nothing to do with a GPS. they call it Death Valley BECAUSE PEOPLE DIE THERE. big hint.
only darwin can cure stupidity. and did.

Zurk, Normally I would agree with you but in this case the adult that should have known better survived. The 11 year old didn't.

blah

zurk wrote:

lack of preparation. lack of common sense. stupid.
it has nothing to do with a GPS. they call it Death Valley BECAUSE PEOPLE DIE THERE. big hint.
only darwin can cure stupidity. and did.

Sadly, you're right....although - the person responsible for the situation was NOT the one who died....

On a more positive note...

On a more positive note.....i saw this linked to on the above story page...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32355096/

ASUNCION, Paraguay - A baby boy born 16 weeks prematurely was declared dead by doctors at a hospital in Paraguay only to wake up in time for his funeral wake hours later.
........

Paper map

shadesofgrey wrote:

Even with a map they might not have survived the trek.

True, however unfolded and in front of them they sure would have a much better Idea which when to make their trek, and might have survived if the mileage was just a few miles shorter to a retreat from death in the valley.

Another reason to put a paper map in the pocket on the back of the seat. If you think paper maps are obsolete, then just just a fool! but remember! Everybody plays the fool, sometime There's no exception to the rule!

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

I agree

BobDee wrote:

True, however unfolded and in front of them they sure would have a much better Idea which when to make their trek, and might have survived if the mileage was just a few miles shorter to a retreat from death in the valley.

Another reason to put a paper map in the pocket on the back of the seat. If you think paper maps are obsolete, then just just a fool! but remember! Everybody plays the fool, sometime There's no exception to the rule!

While plenty of people can get lost easily with paper maps, I agree that it can give a bigger overall picture. Paper maps are far from obsolete.

Whatever the reason, what a horrible waste of life and a hell of a way to go.

--
Matt

Thanks

Never knew this existed. Thanks - very useful.

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

New believer in paper maps...

My family and I just got back from a weekend trip to Rockaway Oregon from Tacoma, WA. I knew the GPS would get us there and we knew two routes that would get us there on major roadways. I decided to trust the GPS to get us there, thinking it would save us some time by taking us on a few shortcuts. Shortcuts don't necessarily save time!!! After a while I could see on the screen that our route was basically parallel to Hwy 101, I made the executive decision to not listen to Sally. After arriving at our destination, I discovered that Sally had been set to "shortest route." After taking some light hearted ribbing from the in-laws, we looked at a paper map and I could prove we would not have gotten lost but probably died of old age before we got there. I am now a believer in carrying a paper map to verify or change our routing.

Sorry for the long story!!

--
Nuvi 265WT, 200W

backup plan

It is always good to have a backup plan. When camping in the wilderness, even the most experienced campers, have a map and compass. Checking in with the park ranger is also a good idea.

I usually stick with faster time

garyandrhoda wrote:

My family and I just got back from a weekend trip to Rockaway Oregon from Tacoma, WA. I knew the GPS would get us there and we knew two routes that would get us there on major roadways. I decided to trust the GPS to get us there, thinking it would save us some time by taking us on a few shortcuts. Shortcuts don't necessarily save time!!! After a while I could see on the screen that our route was basically parallel to Hwy 101, I made the executive decision to not listen to Sally. After arriving at our destination, I discovered that Sally had been set to "shortest route." After taking some light hearted ribbing from the in-laws, we looked at a paper map and I could prove we would not have gotten lost but probably died of old age before we got there. I am now a believer in carrying a paper map to verify or change our routing.

Sorry for the long story!!

Faster time seems to work much better for me than shortest route.

--
Matt

Options

Mattb wrote:

Faster time seems to work much better for me than shortest route.

Sometimes picking the shortest route provides the opportunity to explore new areas. We don't always like the "superslab" option and back roads and highways lead to interesting sights and opportunities you miss along the Interstate.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Sad story indeed

I always review my trip on a map or chart before heading out on a journey. I just use the GPS to tell me when I need to turn so I do not have to count exits or Miles.

I feel sorry for that mother. She will live with that for the rest of her life.

--
Paul Team Dougherty

.

BobDee wrote:
shadesofgrey wrote:

Even with a map they might not have survived the trek.

True, however unfolded and in front of them they sure would have a much better Idea which when to make their trek, and might have survived if the mileage was just a few miles shorter to a retreat from death in the valley.

Another reason to put a paper map in the pocket on the back of the seat. If you think paper maps are obsolete, then just just a fool! but remember! Everybody plays the fool, sometime There's no exception to the rule!

To use a map you need to know where you are.

A GPS serves the purpose just as well and it DOES know where you are.

--
Currently have: SP3, GPSMAP 276c, Nuvi 760T, Nuvi 3790LMT, Zumo 660T

Wow

We all get the feeling of security from having these tools just to read something like this happening.

Wow

We all get the feeling of security from having these tools just to read something like this happening.