Alerts from POI files

 

When I have my alerts turned on it repeats it self several times. When I have it set to 5000 feet it will alert at 5000 feet and usually 2 more times before I pass the point. Does anyone know if I can make it only alert once.

--
poppywhite

I was wondering the same thing

poppywhite wrote:

When I have my alerts turned on it repeats it self several times. When I have it set to 5000 feet it will alert at 5000 feet and usually 2 more times before I pass the point. Does anyone know if I can make it only alert once.

in my case, I thought it might be because I was using wavs instead of mp3's.

even though my 765T plays mp3's, I had to use wavs to get around the glitch that causes the mp3 player to go to the next track when an mp3 alert tries to play.

I just upgraded the firmware from 2.30 to 2.50, and I will report back if that has any affect on the repeated alerts issue.

--
— (Garmin nuvi 765T) — "people who say money can't buy happiness, don't know where to shop"

I asked the same thing when

I asked the same thing when I got my Nuvi 350 a couple years ago. The answer I got was, "No you cant". I have played with different settings and the only thing I can do to not repeat it is to set the alarm distance a little shorter. I agree it gets a little annoying. I wish Garmin would fix that and make an option in one of the firmware updates.

--
Nuvi 1450LMT Nuvi 260 Nuvi 350 "There are no stupid questions, just a lot of inquisitive idiots." "Am I one?"

The Way It Works

That's just the way they work. It annoys my wife too. She'll usually say something like, "I heard you the first time" or "Is there any way to shut that thing up after the first time?" and I tell her "no, its all or nothing."

For that reason, I don't load too many audio alerts with my POI files.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Single Tone vs. Continuous Tone

The nuvi 7x5 allows you to be alerted with either a Single Tone or a Continuous Tone. Most other nuvis don't allow the Single Tone option and are fixed to Continuous Tone. To get the Single Tone option requires a "paid upgrade" (AKA new unit).

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

POI Alerts

I have read and enjoyed reading all the posts and have gotten alot of information.
I have two Nuvi 750's, one mine, one my husbands. My problem is that the MP3 alert sounds that I have downloaded are not working on either. I have checked and double checked everything to make sure the files are named the same except for the extention. My proximity alerts are on. My software is up to date.
I was on the phone with Garmin support for quite a long time, and they were stumped as to why it didnt work.
Here is they way I have them set up. On my desktop, I have a folder named Garmin. Within that is a folder named for each catagory, then:
cemeteries.bmp
cemeteries.csv
cemeteries.mp3
I'm sure it is likely operator error, but I am lost.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Nuvi 350

DorkusNimrod wrote:

The nuvi 7x5 allows you to be alerted with either a "Single Tone" or a "Continuous Tone". Most other nuvis don't allow the "Single Tone" option and are fixed to "Continuous Tone. To get the "Single Tone" option requires a "paid upgrade" (AKA new unit).

On the nuvi 350 you can select 'Single Tone'by:
settings (wrench)\Proximity Points\Alert (Change). Then push the 'Audio' button on the bottom of the screen and select 'Single Tone'. Do the 'OKs' to complete.

Selecting 'Single Tone' won't guarantee a single sound because most of the time it doesn't!

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

You Must set an alert

Gmom7 wrote:

I have read and enjoyed reading all the posts and have gotten alot of information.
I have two Nuvi 750's, one mine, one my husbands. My problem is that the MP3 alert sounds that I have downloaded are not working on either. I have checked and double checked everything to make sure the files are named the same except for the extention. My proximity alerts are on. My software is up to date.
I was on the phone with Garmin support for quite a long time, and they were stumped as to why it didnt work.
Here is they way I have them set up. On my desktop, I have a folder named Garmin. Within that is a folder named for each catagory, then:
cemeteries.bmp
cemeteries.csv
cemeteries.mp3
I'm sure it is likely operator error, but I am lost.
Thanks in advance for the help.

You must set a proximity alert, typically by running POI Loader in Manual mode.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

POI Alerts

Gmom7 wrote:

I have read and enjoyed reading all the posts and have gotten alot of information.
I have two Nuvi 750's, one mine, one my husbands. My problem is that the MP3 alert sounds that I have downloaded are not working on either. I have checked and double checked everything to make sure the files are named the same except for the extention. My proximity alerts are on. My software is up to date.
I was on the phone with Garmin support for quite a long time, and they were stumped as to why it didnt work.
Here is they way I have them set up. On my desktop, I have a folder named Garmin. Within that is a folder named for each catagory, then:
cemeteries.bmp
cemeteries.csv
cemeteries.mp3
I'm sure it is likely operator error, but I am lost.
Thanks in advance for the help.

You will need to load the POI using the manual mode for POI Loader. This allows you to set an alert by either distance or speed for each individual file as well as not loading some.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Your's are setup just like

Your's are setup just like my 760 and they work fine. In fact they talk to much. I don't know what could be wrong.

--
poppywhite

Subject field is required so this is one.

Gmom7 wrote:

Within that is a folder named for each catagory, then:
cemeteries.bmp
cemeteries.csv
cemeteries.mp3

This sounds good, but I'm not sure that you're not being hurt by Microsoft's "our users are idiots, so lets treat them like idiots" approach. Please check this:
Open any folder.
Under the TOOLs choice in the Top menu, take the bottom option, "folder options..."
Click on the view tab.
About half way down the list of check boxes, look for one marked "hide extensions for known file types" and see if it is checked or not.

If it is checked, this is most like the source of the problem, uncheck it, hit apply, and then check the file names for the 3 above files.

If if was already unchecked then something is pretty wrong. I don't have a GPS that plays mp3 files, but if you have that box unchecked and you would like me to look at the files, hit me with a private email through the POI-factory, I'll respond, and then you should be able to email all 3 files to me so I can look them over.

POI Alerts

I appreciate everyones help. I forgot to mention my music (mp3's) does work just fine.

Sooo . . .

Gmom7 wrote:

I appreciate everyones help. I forgot to mention my music (mp3's) does work just fine.

Did you set alerts in POI Loader's manual mode?

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

I am doing that now (the

I am doing that now (the manual alert settings). I'll let you know if that works.
I double checked the extensions and they are correct.

Another way to test ...

Gmom7 wrote:

I am doing that now (the manual alert settings). I'll let you know if that works.
I double checked the extensions and they are correct.

Another way to test it is to temporarily add the digit 5 to each file name: i.e.
cemeteries5.bmp
cemeteries5.csv
cemeteries5.mp3

That way you can load in the Express mode and not worry about having the manual alerts set correctly as they are set automatically to sound at any speed over 5mph.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Well, I was going along

Well, I was going along loading the files manually as suggested, then the POI loader stopped responding. Started loading files again, and again, the loader stopped responding. Are we having fun yet?????? Any suggestions?

If you want to ...

If you want to send over your files, I'll see if they load ok and if the alerts work in my Garmin. Just send me an email via my contact link and I'll give you an address that accepts attachments. This may save a bunch of headaches.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

.

Gmom7 wrote:

Well, I was going along loading the files manually as suggested, then the POI loader stopped responding. Started loading files again, and again, the loader stopped responding. Are we having fun yet?????? Any suggestions?

It stops and asks you whether you want an alert for each POI file. If you aren't aware of what is going on, you'd think it was a glitch, but the filename that is mentioned keeps changing.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Thanks to everyone that

Thanks to everyone that tried to help. My POI loader started working and I got the alert sounds, by putting them in manually, at least with the simulation.