new & interesting places for your GPS

Official Answer: Nuvi - SD microSD Card Size - Garmin FAQ

 

Update: Garmin FAQ 10/16/2012

----- Garmin -----

Question: What is the slot on the side of the nuvi used for?

Answer:
The slot on the side of the nuvi is used for a Secure Digital (SD) card. The SD card is a commonly used memory card format. These memory cards come in various sizes and are usually sold as either a microSD or regular SD cards. Regular SD cards are larger and microSD cards are much smaller. These generally come with a regular SD adapter so you can use the microSD card in devices/card readers that only accept the regular SD card type.

Depending on the device that you own, the nuvi may use either one of these SD card sizes. SD cards can be used to store files such as MP3 audio files, JPEG picture files,2 or supplemental mapping. All nuvi models will support SD cards up to 8GB in size.

Last modified on: 11/18/2012

link:

http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}

Frequently Asked Questions

--
JRoz -- nuvi 3490LMT, 3760LMT, 260W; Edge 605; Approach G5; Oregon 450
1 2 3
<<Page 4>>

Size of the card for Garmin

I my gps is a nuvi 670 and I use 8gb i used 4gb and it works fine. You can use any class, I tried up to class10 and works. I tried one mini sd card and worked on mine.

Sd card

I used this micro card to allow a map update that I didn't have room for. Very useful.

--
an94

Adding SD Card on Nuvi 50LM

I recently bought an 8GB sd micro card and installed it in the slot on the Nuvi. But, I've noticed the Nuvi apparently does not recognize the card. I checked the files on a file manager and it does not show the sd card. Is there any special prep for the card or unique card required? I am using the Kingston 8GB mini card.

Disregard. I checked further and found that the card did show up as another drive. So, I ran the POI Loader program and sent the results to the Custom POI folder and sent it to the new drive. The only kink is that when you turn the GPS on, it will notify you that the custom files are on the SD card and they ask if you want to transfer them to the Device's hard drive. Naturally the answer is NO, as it would defeat the purpose of adding the SD card.

Thanks.

2 schools on this

lbevil wrote:

I ran the POI Loader program and sent the results to the Custom POI folder and sent it to the new drive. The only kink is that when you turn the GPS on, it will notify you that the custom files are on the SD card and they ask if you want to transfer them to the Device's hard drive. Naturally the answer is NO, as it would defeat the purpose of adding the SD card.

Thanks.

On the older 3 digit Nuvis you used to answer yes to transfer then another screen would pop up where you would tell it to disregard. That option was discontinued when the 4 digit series came out around 2010.

So, you can install the POI to the SD car and have it nag you every time you power up or you can transfer some of the other files from the unit to the SD card and then put the POI on the unit and no nags. Even though I have three of the 3 digit models, I prefer to move other files and put my POI on the unit. That way there are no nags.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

On a Nuvi 660

I have tried using a Class 4 and Class 6 card for maps, and the Class 6 card seems a bit quicker on map install on bootup.

I have a 16Gb Class 10 card, but have not tried it.

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

Icedog

Icedog.... Did you find the Class 10 card seemed to display maps any quicker than an earlier "Class" card?

Thanks...

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

JCV file on SD card

On our recent trip I lost the Junction Views. Apparently the contacts on the card were contaminated. That evening I cleaned them using an Electronic Cleaning Wipe that I had in my suitcase.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Class

JanJ wrote:

Icedog.... Did you find the Class 10 card seemed to display maps any quicker than an earlier "Class" card?

Thanks...

Janj,
The "Class" of card you use shouldn't make any difference. The "Class" refers to the maximum data transfer speed of the card. The actual data transfer speed is determined by either your card or GPS, whichever is the slowest.

My GPS is an old 750 with 2GB of internal memory. The last 2 map updates required more free memory than I had. I had been using a 2GB card to load audiobooks onto so I swapped that out with a 32 GB, class 10 MicroSD in an adapter. It works great, the full 32 GB is available, and I have bunches of room left for audiobooks. However I wasted my money buying a Class 10 card, Class 2 would have been fine.

I did see a 'map load' speed

I did see a 'map load' speed difference between a Class 4 & 6 card....

I'll try a Class 10 card and test...

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!

Latest maps

The latest maps only let me load 1/2 of the U.S. into Nuvi 760 internal memory. How big of an SD card do I now need for all of the U.S.?

4 GB

should be big enough for now and future maps.

--
Alan - Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

SD Micro Card

I have a 16gb Micro SD Card in my Garmin nuvi2555 and I have no problems. I use the extra space to Store a couple of Audible Books and I also have Maps Installed there, since my Internal is full of Pictures, Vehicles, etc. I keep seeing where the Device will support an 8GB but mine is a 16GB and the device works well. I will admit though, it is slower when I load an Audible Book to listen to on the Device.

--
Don Duke aka Joe Casino

Garmin Zumo 550

I just bought a used Garmin Zumo 550 and I am thinking about adding a micro SD card. Does anybody happen to know what the limit would be on the Zumo? Would it be the same as the Nuvis?

Garmin's response

Jim1348 wrote:

I just bought a used Garmin Zumo 550 and I am thinking about adding a micro SD card. Does anybody happen to know what the limit would be on the Zumo? Would it be the same as the Nuvis?

Garmin's website seems to move the answer to this a few times a year making it hard to refer to the currently-used link. Here's today's link wink

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?...

It would not surprise me if larger cards will work in your zumo 550 but that'd be something you'd have to test yourself.

Assuming the page has correct information, the largest card that Garmin says will work in your device is 4GB. See:

zumo 400 & 500 series: 4GB
zumo 220, 350, 600, & 605 series: 8GB*

*Using an SD card size larger than 8GB is not supported for these devices. However, using one will not harm the device but it may or may not work. Also, Garmin supports all speed ratings (including unmarked cards).

GPS Update

You can also use the New Garmin Express to Update your GPS. In fact, it works a whole lot better than the webupdater, in my Estimation..

--
Don Duke aka Joe Casino

Garmin Express

Worked fine to install map on my card after it recognized the card, but now it still says I need to update my maps eventhough I did already. A little annoying.

Nuvi 1350

I have a 16 GB Class 10 (UHS-1) Sandisk MicroSD card and it works fine. it is more space than I will probably ever need, but it was cheap enough that I just thought I could use it in another device in the future. I think a 4 GB would be enough for most GPS owners who don't load every map in the world on their devices. 8 GB would give you more overhead "just in case", but if you just load maps it is unlikely you'll ever need the last 4 GB. I think the Garmin website says the largest is 16 GB, but I think some have mentioned the Nuvi can take a bigger card. Don't pay up for a huge card though - by the time you need it, memory prices will drop to where double the size costs less than what a smaller card costs now!

Bigger better?

Map update 2013.3 was too big for my NUVI 750 to hold the complete map in internal memory. I had a 32 GB, class 10 microSD laying around collecting unemployment, so I put it along with a SD adapter to work in my 750. The old 750 recognized the whole card and the map update installed with no problems. I would say that if your unit is able to address >2 GB then it shouldn't have any problems with sizes greater than 8 GB.

sd cards for extending map storage capacity

Garmin website states the nuvi can use sd cards of up to 8GB (supportable), for extending map storage. Can anyone say whether any brand or spec of 8gb micro sd card (the 255w would likely use the adapter), should work?

Kingston, transcend, wintec, samsung etc, all offer these cards some with class 4, 6, or 10 mbps read/writes, variously mentioning cameras, smartphones, etc.
For map storage do these specs really matter much, or are we just paying more given what the gps device is supposed to do with the card? Thanks

Any should work

Any should work, but I prefer SanDisk

Really Matter?

You should check your GPS's manual but I think buying a card that is faster than a class 4 would be a waste of money. I have never had any card refuse to work in any device of mine but I have had what I consider early failures. I feel that there is a difference in quality between the suppliers. I think Samsung and SanDisk are top-line cards and the others fall somewhere below them.

Good to know!

Good to know!

new sdhc for expansion

Thanks... also I was wondering, once the new sdhc card is used (while inserted in the gps device), to download current map udates, does the sdhc card need to remain in the nuvi etc. from then on, whenever using the gps device?

Absolpositivelutely

Makinja wrote:

Thanks... also I was wondering, once the new sdhc card is used (while inserted in the gps device), to download current map udates, does the sdhc card need to remain in the nuvi etc. from then on, whenever using the gps device?

Yes. Otherwise, your 255W will only have access to the non-routable, no POI, no speed limit, poorly-detailed basemap.

Thanks

Thanks

SD Card

I also have a 16gb class 10 card in my unviable 1650. I put all my poi's on it and put the map in internal memory. Works great. I have noticed it loads the poi's a little faster than a class6.

--
Larry - Nuvi 680, Nuvi 1690, Nuvi 2797LMT

What did you mean?

ahsumtoy wrote:

I also have a 16gb class 10 card in my unviable 1650. I put all my poi's on it and put the map in internal memory. Works great. I have noticed it loads the poi's a little faster than a class6.

Sorry, I am confused. You called your 1650 "unviable" but it appears that putting in a "16gb class 10 card" resulted in "works great".

Did it have problems before the card was used? If so, what were they?

A good source for inexpensive SDHC cards

Take a look at dealnews.com which is an agregator of items on sale by other businesses. SD cards, micro and standard SDHC cards are often listed, although not every day.

For example, on this mornings listings was this 16GB SDHC card for sale for $11 with free shiping or 4 of them for $28 and free shipping; http://tiny.cc/btrwxw

There is often listings for various model Garmin GPS's that are either new or have been refurbished by the factory. Other brands as well. My last two GPS purchases cost less than $90 each with lifetime maps and traffic included by buying through dealnews.com. Pretty cool, I think.

Dave Baldwin

I like sandisk as well. How

I like sandisk as well. How do I tell my Garmin 3597 to save files to the micro SD card. Will the Custom POI's automatically go to the SD Card?

--
Garmin Nuvi 3597, Garmin StreetPilot 2720, Garmin 76CSx (Hand Held), Iphone 4S (Motion-X)

POI Loader

MickeyMouse00 wrote:

I like sandisk as well. How do I tell my Garmin 3597 to save files to the micro SD card. Will the Custom POI's automatically go to the SD Card?

POI Loader gives you the option of where its output will go. One option will be the card.

POI Loader

jgermann wrote:
MickeyMouse00 wrote:

I like sandisk as well. How do I tell my Garmin 3597 to save files to the micro SD card. Will the Custom POI's automatically go to the SD Card?

POI Loader gives you the option of where its output will go. One option will be the card.

jgermann is right and wrong. Well really not wrong, just incomplete. POI Loader gives you the option of "Custom Folder (Advanced)". Select that and then select where you want the file.

I have been told that the POI file needs to be in the sub-directory of Garman\POI

Test with 765T and 2595LMT

jackj180 wrote:

POI Loader ...
jgermann is right and wrong. Well really not wrong, just incomplete. POI Loader gives you the option of "Custom Folder (Advanced)". Select that and then select where you want the file.

I have been told that the POI file needs to be in the sub-directory of Garman\POI

I was not able to find the option "Custom Folder (Advanced)" on my version of POI Loader (which is 2.7.1.0).

I tried two paths - to the unit (765T or flash card) and to the computer.

POI Loader opens with a "Welcome" screen. Pressing "Next" brings up Screen 2 offering the option of "Garmin Device" or "Computer"

Selecting "Computer" brings up a screen asking for the folder on the computer in which the output file is to be saved. It will remember the last folder used on the computer if this options was ever selected in the past.

Having selected a folder and pressing "Next" asks for the Folder where the data to be transferred is located. Note that if the path had been for a "Device" this screen would have given the option of installing new custom POIs or removing all previous custom POIs. This screen also asks whether you want "Express" or "Manual" mode.

I happen to have just purchased a 2595 for my daughter. It did not come with a flash card, so I thought I would see what would happen if I inserted a blank 8GB SD card. POI Loader recognized that my Nuvi 2595 had a card in it (although it was blank (empty). I pointed POI Loader to the card and loaded some POIs. After POI Loader finished, I looked at the card and it then contained a /Garmin folder which itself contained a /POI folder in which the new .gpi file I just loaded was contained.

So, it looks like POI Loader will create the proper directory structure. Since I had already loaded that particular file to the 2595, I deleted the file from the card before safely disconnecting the unit.

Just for information, when I safely disconnect my 765T, it changes from computer mode to "Where To?" navigation mode even though the USB cable is still connected.

The 2595 just stays in the "dim" screen (unit to computer icon) mode when it is safely disconnected. Removing the USB cable turns the 2595 off.

Here is a question for the electrical gurus on the site. Can Nuvis be charged using a USB cable attached to a wall charger that accepts USB?

Thank You

Thanks for the info

--
romanviking

@jgermann

jgermann wrote:

I was not able to find the option "Custom Folder (Advanced)" on my version of POI Loader (which is 2.7.1.0).

272 has been out for some time but the ability to specify a path for the output file is in your version.

jgermann wrote:

Here is a question for the electrical gurus on the site. Can Nuvis be charged using a USB cable attached to a wall charger that accepts USB?

Short answer - yes.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

@Box Car

Box Car wrote:
jgermann wrote:

I was not able to find the option "Custom Folder (Advanced)" on my version of POI Loader (which is 2.7.1.0).

272 has been out for some time but the ability to specify a path for the output file is in your version.

jgermann wrote:

Here is a question for the electrical gurus on the site. Can Nuvis be charged using a USB cable attached to a wall charger that accepts USB?

Short answer - yes.

Thanks for the info on charging. When I do that, the 2595 goes into what look like the unit to computer mode. It stays in that screen mode - even after being disconnected - until one holds the on/off button for 10 seconds or so and then it will turn off. Then a simple press of the on/off button will turn it back on.

I installed 2.7.2.0 and still did not find "Custom Folder (Advanced)". What screen is that on?

i'm not where

jgermann wrote:
Box Car wrote:
jgermann wrote:

I was not able to find the option "Custom Folder (Advanced)" on my version of POI Loader (which is 2.7.1.0).

272 has been out for some time but the ability to specify a path for the output file is in your version.

jgermann wrote:

Here is a question for the electrical gurus on the site. Can Nuvis be charged using a USB cable attached to a wall charger that accepts USB?

Short answer - yes.

Thanks for the info on charging. When I do that, the 2595 goes into what look like the unit to computer mode. It stays in that screen mode - even after being disconnected - until one holds the on/off button for 10 seconds or so and then it will turn off. Then a simple press of the on/off button will turn it back on.

I installed 2.7.2.0 and still did not find "Custom Folder (Advanced)". What screen is that on?

I'm not where I can research that right now. But it may not be stated exactly as listed in this thread as you would need to select the SD card in lieu of the actual Nuvi.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

POI Loader

My version of POI Loader is 2.5.2.0

From the "Welcome" screen, click on "Next". The program then presents three "Save Options":

Garmin Device
Map Source (Advanced)
Custom Folder (Advanced)

My version seems to save the file where I spec. I have to make the directory where I want the file stored.

I suppose I could update my version to the current one but why bother? I'm happy with this one, it does everything I need it to do and runs fine on my Win7, 64 bit machine.

Thanks for that info

jackj180 wrote:

My version of POI Loader is 2.5.2.0

From the "Welcome" screen, click on "Next". The program then presents three "Save Options":

Garmin Device
Map Source (Advanced)
Custom Folder (Advanced)

My version seems to save the file where I spec. I have to make the directory where I want the file stored.

I suppose I could update my version to the current one but why bother? I'm happy with this one, it does everything I need it to do and runs fine on my Win7, 64 bit machine.

When I see something that does not ring a bell, I just have to ask a question.

The earliest version I have had is 2.54 and I do not remember that it had those options so maybe that was the break point.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" so if it works for you, by all means stay with it. I will point out that the older versions always created a file called poi.gpi overwriting that file every time it ran. The workaround - if one wanted to add new POIs - was to go to the /Garmin/POI folder on the GPS and rename poi.gpi to something meaningful before loading just the new POIs. Of course, one could reload both the old and the new at one time but if there were different alert distances in "Manual" mode, that unnecessarily took extra time.

New versions give you the ability to name the output file (which will take a .gpi extension on the device.

.

I just got a 16GB is that to big for my 1450LMT

--
nuvi 2757LM

No

bill2125 wrote:

I just got a 16GB is that to big for my 1450LMT

No, I run a 16GB in my 1650LMT with no problem

--
Larry - Nuvi 680, Nuvi 1690, Nuvi 2797LMT

sd card

Have been using an extra card for quite some time as the maps no longer fit on the internal memory.

--
Dudlee

I use a 16GB in my 855...

I use a 16GB in my 855...

--
DougJ - Ottawa, ON, CA

Micro sd card install

I installed a 16GB card into my nuvi 2350. When I open the Nuvi updater it still indicated that I do not have enough memory left for the map updates. There is also no option to load them to the SD card under the device menu. My computer sees the SD card as a drive so it must be working. What gives.

GE or GMU?

bl1nky wrote:

I installed a 16GB card into my nuvi 2350. When I open the Nuvi updater it still indicated that I do not have enough memory left for the map updates. There is also no option to load them to the SD card under the device menu. My computer sees the SD card as a drive so it must be working. What gives.

Is your computer using Garmin Express or GarminMapUpdater when trying to update the map? If you're using Garmin Express, try GarminMapUpdater instead:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={60f574f0-602d-11e2-f3fb-000000000000}

Click the link for the appropriate operating system to download.

Garmin Map Updater PC:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Garmin Map Updater Mac:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

You definitely should be offered the Update to SD card option if there's insufficient space internally on your 2350:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?...

Out of curiosity, do you think your 2350 has just one past version of City Navigator North America on it or are there other maps on the device as well--or other files you've loaded? Since the 2350 is a 4GB device, I'm somewhat surprised that there's insufficient space inside your nuvi for a full map update without the need to use the SD card.

Finally, do you have the latest firmware on your 2350? The last update ws 12/3/2012:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5143

You can use WebUpdater to get the latest firmware:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=931

good to know

Thanks for the info

16GB and 1390T

I'm running a Kingston 16GB Class 10 microSD card in my 1390T and it seems to run fine. All I have loaded on it is the 2014.10 map and nothing else. The reason for the 16GB is because it was only $2.00 more than the 8GB Class 10.

Testing

JanJ wrote:

I did see a 'map load' speed difference between a Class 4 & 6 card....

I'll try a Class 10 card and test...

I'm curious if you got a chance to do this testing?

On my Nuvi 660 I've installed the past few map updates on a SanDisk 4GB SDHC card. It works, but map loading (reading) when I power on the GPS is slow. I'm not as concerned with SD write speed since I only write to the card 4 times a year when the map updates come out.

I'm mainly interested in read speed - map loading when I power on the GPS. I can't find any Nuvi 660 specs that tells me the max data transfer speed of the Nuvi 660 SD card slot which is the limiting factor.

Will a Class 2, 4, 6 or 10 SD card improve map loading speed? So as not to waste money, what is the max Class where I would see an improvement in map loading?

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2015.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

i doubt it

Gary A wrote:
JanJ wrote:

I did see a 'map load' speed difference between a Class 4 & 6 card....

I'll try a Class 10 card and test...

I'm curious if you got a chance to do this testing?

On my Nuvi 660 I've installed the past few map updates on a SanDisk 4GB SDHC card. It works, but map loading (reading) when I power on the GPS is slow. I'm not as concerned with SD write speed since I only write to the card 4 times a year when the map updates come out.

I'm mainly interested in read speed - map loading when I power on the GPS. I can't find any Nuvi 660 specs that tells me the max data transfer speed of the Nuvi 660 SD card slot which is the limiting factor.

Will a Class 2, 4, 6 or 10 SD card improve map loading speed? So as not to waste money, what is the max Class where I would see an improvement in map loading?

I doubt the speed of the card will make any measurable difference. The processor in the Nuvi will only read or write data as fast as the processor allows and we all know the processors used in these devices are not very powerful or fast.

--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John F. Kennedy, 35th U.S. president

Yeah, I Know

I just wish Garmin had included the data transfer speed of the SD card slot in their specs. sad Then we would quickly know if a higher Class SD card is even worth the extra money.

JanJ posted an improvement in map loading speed. I was hoping for an update to that post.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2015.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

This post for Gary A

I used a Mode 6 and Mode 10 16Gb card in my 660's (now have 2) and they both worked.... However, the mode 10 card was no faster than a mode 6 card. Earlier I posted that Mode 6 was faster than mode 4, and that still seems to be the case... However, All of these cards are not same MFG, so I might be seeing a slow card on the Mode 4 compared to a faster Mode 6 card...

Take that into consideration...

--
2x Nuvi 660'sOne with -- Lifetime Maps -- Lifetime Traffic And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that Doesn't support External POI's BOO HOO!
1 2 3
<<Page 4>>

sponsored links