TomTom Announces new technology (GO 730)

 

TomTom Announces GO 730 Brings IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance.

TomTom's newly announced 730 model bring two new technologies to TomTom's popular GO product line: "IQ Routes" and "Advanced Lane Guidance". IQ Routes leverage historical traffic data to know the difference between Sunday afternoon traffic and Monday afternoon rush hour. Advanced Lane Guidance displays a Navigon-esque 3D rendering of the upcoming junction, and shows you which lane you'll need to be in.

Available in April 2008, the GO 730 will retail for $500

GO 730
Maps: US & CanadaEurope
Display: 4.3"
Memory: 2 GB Internal
SD Card Slot: Yes
Bluetooth: Yes
Battery Life: 5 hours
Voice Address Input: Yes
Text-to-Speech: Yes
Hands-free calling: Yes
FM Transmitter: Yes
Enhanced Positioning: No
Price: $450

Both the 730 is available with traffic receivers (GO 730T for receiving real-time traffic data).

So what exactly is IQ Routes and how does it work? IQ Routes are based on average speeds measured on roads, rather than posted speed limits. This means that the new TomTom GO determines the best route to take based on recent historical data. According to TomTom, "in almost 50% of all journeys, this results in a faster route."

Advanced Lane Guidance provides users with realistic representations of complex highway junctions and lane-specific visual directions.

TomTom says the new models will sport a glossy new finish on the case, and have an updated interface with new icons.

--
marnoldi Nuvi 680 & Nuvi 2797LMT

Software Update?

Does anyone know if these new features will be available to Go920T owners through a software update?

thx,
Jen

You could try here...

www.tomtom.com and/or www.tomtomforums.com for the answer to that. smile

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! In Memoriam: #77 NYPD-SCA/Seattle Mike/Joe S./Vinny D./RTC...and God bless Donald Trump!

POI on 730

Will installing POI and maps work the same way on the 730?

IQ Routes

Hasn't Google maps been calculating trip times in a similar fashion for a while now? Especially with traffic integrated?

720=730?

omnitek wrote:

Will installing POI and maps work the same way on the 730?

From what I read on tomtomforums.com the 730 has the same hardware as the 720. If you can load POI's and maps into a 720 then you should be able to do likewise with a 730 - BUT these days you never really know what GPSr manufacturer's have up their sleeves! Just look at the TT One's for example! wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! In Memoriam: #77 NYPD-SCA/Seattle Mike/Joe S./Vinny D./RTC...and God bless Donald Trump!

Maps on 730

How are they going to fit both the North American and Europe maps on a 2GB internal? Without having to Use the SD card. These must be a new version of compressed maps or something like that, I'm assuming the 730 supports SDHC cards.

No

NA alone will be close to 1.5 GB. WE (Western Europe) is close to 930 MB so it has be to in two cards...

Jeff

Hrm, sounds like features I

Hrm, sounds like features I could use....
I'll have to wait to test one out at the store before I make a final judgment though...

Maps

If it has SDHC capability you will only need one card, as large as you want.
Anyone know if it has SDHC capability ?

/?/

hmmm ...

marnoldi wrote:

According to TomTom, "in almost 50% of all journeys, this results in a faster route."

... that description makes it sound like you'd be better off betting on a coin toss ...

--
"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality." — albert camus

Re: hmmm ...

aarrgghh wrote:
marnoldi wrote:

According to TomTom, "in almost 50% of all journeys, this results in a faster route."

... that description makes it sound like you'd be better off betting on a coin toss ...

Well, if that means that when using this technology, statistically every other trip I'll make will be a less stressful one, a more efficient use of my expensive fuel, and less wear and tear on my vehicle, all I can say is... I like these odds. : )

This is a much more intelligent routing principle, hope it gets implemented in Navigator as well.

Krieger

8GB

omnitek wrote:

If it has SDHC capability you will only need one card, as large as you want.
Anyone know if it has SDHC capability ?

Officially, the 920 wasn't SDHC compliant. But, some users have had success in using some 8GB SDHC cards.

or it could mean

Krieger wrote:

Well, if that means that when using this technology, statistically every other trip I'll make will be a less stressful one, a more efficient use of my expensive fuel, and less wear and tear on my vehicle, all I can say is... I like these odds. : )

... or it could mean that more than half their test drivers saw no improvement at all. without knowing how they ran the tests and how they scored them, their statement could mean just about anything ...

ain't statistics fun?

--
"is it possible to found a party for those who are not sure they are right? that would be my party. in any event, I do not insult those who are not on my side. that is my only originality." — albert camus

Questionable feature

I wonder if this speed info is mainly for European road or NA road? Both TeleAtlas and TomTom are heavily invested in EU countries and I wonder where did they get the road speed here?

Jeff

internal memory and SD?

jeffH70 wrote:

NA alone will be close to 1.5 GB. WE (Western Europe) is close to 930 MB so it has be to in two cards...

Or NA on internal memory, WE on a 2GB SD? wink

Data

jeffH70 wrote:

I wonder if this speed info is mainly for European road or NA road? Both TeleAtlas and TomTom are heavily invested in EU countries and I wonder where did they get the road speed here?

Jeff

The data is gathered from the users that voluntarily send "anonymous historical speed-data from each of their journeys. every time they connect their device to TomTom HOME."

"TomTom now has a huge database, containing billions of miles of real customer driving experience, collected over the years from more than 7 million TomTom users."

This data is then compared by the routing engine to the actual posted speed limits, accounting for the specific time of the day.

I think the bottom line is that they are making this available and are letting their customers take advantage of this database... with no monthly fees.

Me like! : )

Krieger

Thanks

Krieger wrote:

The data is gathered from the users that voluntarily send "anonymous historical speed-data from each of their journeys. every time they connect their device to TomTom HOME."

"TomTom now has a huge database, containing billions of miles of real customer driving experience, collected over the years from more than 7 million TomTom users."

This data is then compared by the routing engine to the actual posted speed limits, accounting for the specific time of the day.

I think the bottom line is that they are making this available and are letting their customers take advantage of this database... with no monthly fees.

Me like! : )

Krieger

Thanks! I just hope that it averages out the speeding ones over time. wink

Jeff

just wondering when garmin

just wondering when garmin going to have this cool function smile