Garmin will soon change standard SD card format to Micro SD

 

So if you have not purchased one yet, and plan to, I'd suggest getting the Micro format with an adapter. Sometime in February the GPS units will change over from the standard SD card to Micro SD cards. Im not sure if this will include the 700 series produced after late January or if it will include only the next generation of GPS's. I'm guessing this fact will be confimed during the January Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas Jan 7 thru 10. cool

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

This is not a bad idea right

This is not a bad idea right now.

I have been using the 2GB micro SD card in the adapter for the Nuvi 650 and move the micro SD card itself to the GPSMap 60CSx when needed.

Works like a charm

--
Nuvi 650 (SW 4.30; GPS SW 3.00) , GPSmap 60CSx (SW 3.50; GPS SW 3.00), GPS III Plus

Given how inexpensive the

Given how inexpensive the memory is, I wouldn't worry too much. I just paid 14 dollars for 2GB SD from Buy.Com including shipping. If it becomes worthless in Garmin's next gen, am I going to worry? No because by the time I upgrade to my next Garmin Buy.Com will be selling 8 GB mSDs for $14. Memory cards are not a product you need to plan for the future with.

Paul

FYI, if you need one even a little bit...

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202743332&dcaid=17...

--
Paul Jaruszewski / www.melor.com

Why would they change

My Etrex has the Micro SD but they are much smaller...the Nuvis are plenty big enough to use the standard size SD card...I know that Garmin loves to sell maps on SD cards...

--
Dave_ Nuvi 660 , 760,1490LMT Wooster, Ohio

Everything shrinks, even my paycheck.

Zecpull wrote:

My Etrex has the Micro SD but they are much smaller...the Nuvis are plenty big enough to use the standard size SD card...I know that Garmin loves to sell maps on SD cards...

In the world of electronics, SIZE DOES MATTER!! mrgreen This way with the smaller mini cards they can have you carry twice as much with you. You can carry thousands of songs, hundreds of ebooks and millions of pictures and not even take up one square inch in your caring case. Also they are easier to loose so you have to spend more $$ to replace. twisted (Evil corporate laughing.) LoL

--
Rodney.. oditius.htc@gmail.com BMW Zumo 550 HTC Touch Pro - Garmin XT

Moot point in my case

All 3 of the SD cards I have now are micro's. My Etrex Venture needed a micro, so that's what I bought the first time. My PDA uses a full-size SD card, but the best deal for a 1-gig card at the time I bought it was a micro, so I got a second one. When I ordered the Nuvi I wasn't sure if it used a micro or standard SD, but again, the 1-gig for $9.95 deal was a micro so that makes 3 in my collection. As long as I don't lose all the adaptors, I can use any of them in any of my toys, so I should be okay until the submicro cards come out. smile

--
"Recalculating... drive 0.2 miles, then abandon vehicle." ------------- [ETrex Venture CX; Nüvi 40]

I think that is a poor decision.

I think that is a poor decision. These units aren't so small that they need micro SDs. That just makes us have to deal with an adaptor. Are they worried that standard SDs are going to disappear soon?

And, don't the micro a SDs say they aren't meant to be plugged in and out like the standard size? I remember reading that when I got the micro for my cell phone.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Not a big deal.

You only have to plug a micro SD into the adaptor once. After that, the combination is, essentially, a standard size SD card. In other words, you don't plug the adaptor into your device and then put the micro SD card into and out of it. The card stays in the adaptor. The instructions with the Kingston micro SD card I bought most recently say nothing about being plugged in and out, and in any event, it is the adaptor, not the card, that would be subject to any wear-and-tear.

--
"Recalculating... drive 0.2 miles, then abandon vehicle." ------------- [ETrex Venture CX; Nüvi 40]

Changes

I know how the technology can change. I've got an old Digital Camera here at work that uses CompactFlash cards. Those things are huge compared to what is available in other formats today. Everything is getting smaller!

--
Garmin Nuvi 660

Micro SD wear and tear

Dsorgnzd wrote:

You only have to plug a micro SD into the adaptor once. After that, the combination is, essentially, a standard size SD card. In other words, you don't plug the adaptor into your device and then put the micro SD card into and out of it. The card stays in the adaptor. The instructions with the Kingston micro SD card I bought most recently say nothing about being plugged in and out, and in any event, it is the adaptor, not the card, that would be subject to any wear-and-tear.

If the device uses a micro, as my phone does, I have to unplug it from the device and plug it into the adaptor every time I want to transfer data to it via my card reader. This wouldn't be so if I could access the SD card via the phone as I can with the GPSr.

--
><> Glenn <>< Garmin nüvi 2598

Ah, I see.

I was only thinking of PDA's and GPSr's that will connect to the computer via a cable. My phone is just a phone - no camera, no video, no photo player - and has no means for transferring outside data to it. I didn't think about the need for a card reader.

--
"Recalculating... drive 0.2 miles, then abandon vehicle." ------------- [ETrex Venture CX; Nüvi 40]

garmin nuvi 650 sd cards

Hi i recently purchased a garmin nuvi 650 (excelent product) and was looking into buying an sd card. I have done some reading and have asked some workers in various stores and was told that the 650 could only use regular sd cards, and the regular sd cards (FAT16) only go up to 2 GB. Do you know if SDHC cards can be used in the 650, or is there anyway to put a card in it that is bigger than 2GB. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Nope, 4GB

bprid wrote:

Hi i recently purchased a garmin nuvi 650 (excelent product) and was looking into buying an sd card. I have done some reading and have asked some workers in various stores and was told that the 650 could only use regular sd cards, and the regular sd cards (FAT16) only go up to 2 GB. Do you know if SDHC cards can be used in the 650, or is there anyway to put a card in it that is bigger than 2GB. Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Nope, it will accept up to a 4GB card. See here:
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/home/support/searchsupport

--
--- GPSmap 60CS, Nuvi 650 & Nuvi 1490T---

sd cards

Hi sry i had just 1 more question about the sd cards, i was told by a store employee that the 650 could only use regular sd cards(FAT16) that only go to 2 GB, and that it could not use the SDHC cards. Is the 650 capable of using the SDHC cards(FAT32), and if so does it have to specificaly be the SDHC micro or can it use either the SDHC micro or the regular SDHC up to 4GB
thank you for any help

SD Cards

Your 650 will use the SDHC micro or the regular SDHC up to 4gb. You will be fine either way. I use both in my 760 with no problems at all.

4gb

bprid wrote:

Hi sry i had just 1 more question about the sd cards, i was told by a store employee that the 650 could only use regular sd cards(FAT16) that only go to 2 GB, and that it could not use the SDHC cards. Is the 650 capable of using the SDHC cards(FAT32), and if so does it have to specifically be the SDHC micro or can it use either the SDHC micro or the regular SDHC up to 4GB
thank you for any help

I use a non-SDHC 4gb card formatted at FAT32 in my 660. Now I think the limit for FAT16 is 2gb, but when I formatted my SD card my computer only offered FAT32/NTSF. So I picked the FAT32 and it works fine. Since the only difference between the 650 and 660 is hardware, you shouldn't have a problem. But remember having a full (or almost full) 4gb card in there will take a few seconds more to boot up.

--
Rodney.. oditius.htc@gmail.com BMW Zumo 550 HTC Touch Pro - Garmin XT

Changes

Quote:

I know how the technology can change. I've got an old Digital Camera here at work that uses Compact Flash cards. Those things are huge compared to what is available in other formats today. Everything is getting smaller!

I got the new Cannon XTi camera which uses Compact Flash cards. Do to the size of a Digital SLR camera Compact Flash fits nicely and for price of this size of memory allows me to get more.

With the size of many of GPS units and the need of a descent size screen to view while driving, unless they are packing more features into the circuitry, why go smaller?

--
Allan Barnett - Garmin nüvi 885T/765T/Pharos GPS (bluetooth) w/MS Maps on PPC