new & interesting places for your GPS

Greater New York City Area Red Light Cameras

 

Hello,

I`m new to the custom POI. I have few questions.

When it says on the site Greater New York City Area (169) does that mean that there are only 169 cameras in that file ? Also what does Greater New York City Area ? Does that include Long Island ? If so which county ?

Related links

Greater area= 5 boroughs

yozh wrote:

Hello,

I`m new to the custom POI. I have few questions.

When it says on the site Greater New York City Area (169) does that mean that there are only 169 cameras in that file ? Also what does Greater New York City Area ? Does that include Long Island ? If so which county ?

The five boroughs are brooklyn,Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, and of course New York City, No Long Island.

--
Richie

Thank you.

Well every one has a diffrent understanding of that, thats why I asked. Thanks for the reply.

I,am sure

yozh wrote:

Well every one has a diffrent understanding of that, thats why I asked. Thanks for the reply.

Believe me I,am sure. I worked for the City for 22 years!

--
Richie

I Believe You. Thanks again,

I Believe You. Thanks again,

Where is the New York City

Where is the New York City red light file?

Everyone has a different

Everyone has a different understanding of what the 5 boroughs are???
Who is "everyone" it is either one of the 5 or it isn't. It is factual not based on opinion.

Now what people consider the 'city' to be is a bit more based on opinion but that is mostly a difference on weather you live there or not.

If you live there and like me lived in Queens you would say I am going to the city and other NYers know you mean that you are going to Manhattan. If you are from out side the 5 boroughs you would consider queens as part of the city.

And NO, if you are from upstate NY you are not a New Yorker.

--
When in doubt Karen will take you there

Absolutely correct

scooter2 wrote:
yozh wrote:

Well every one has a diffrent understanding of that, thats why I asked. Thanks for the reply.

Believe me I,am sure. I worked for the City for 22 years!

The term "City of New York" refers to the five boroughs.

The term "New York City" refers to one of those five boroughs, namely Manhattan.

When people refer to the "New York City area" as opposed to just "New York City", they usually mean the five boroughs.

--
smchar

.

gerrydrake wrote:

Where is the New York City red light file?

If you click on the red light cameras tab at the top of the page, you will find the file.

Count Details

Here's a further breakdown of locations included in the count for Greater New York City Area:

Brooklyn (59)
Queens (30)
New York (26)
Staten Island (18)
Bronx (15)

Along with 27 additional locations that Miss POI has labled with Flushing, Jamaica, Ozone Park, South Ozone Park, Far Rockaway, Bellerose, East Elmhurst, Maspeth, and New Hyde Park.

I update the area counts periodically by selecting closely grouped locations with a mapping tool. I just now did this with the Sept 20 file and found the 175 locations listed above.

JM

...a few points

JM wrote:

Along with 27 additional locations that Miss POI has labled with Flushing, Jamaica, Ozone Park, South Ozone Park, Far Rockaway, Bellerose, East Elmhurst, Maspeth, and New Hyde Park.

JM

FYI:
All but one of those towns are part of Queens. New Hyde Park is on Long Island.

For the record New York City is comprised of the 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. The confusion arises because Manhattan is also "New York" County in the State of New York. Brooklyn is Kings County, Staten Island is Richmond County, Queens is Queens County and the Bronx is Bronx County.

Now, the interpretation of "Greater New York" can vary but the general consensus is that it is comprised of New York City, Northern Jersey and Long Island.

my .02

Signed Rich:

of Rockaway Park
of the Rockaway Peninsula
of the Borough of Queens (aka, Queens County)
of New York City
of Greater New York
of New York State
of the North East
of the United States of America.
of Planet Earth wink

solution

Boxofrain wrote:
JM wrote:

Along with 27 additional locations that Miss POI has labled with Flushing, Jamaica, Ozone Park, South Ozone Park, Far Rockaway, Bellerose, East Elmhurst, Maspeth, and New Hyde Park.

JM

FYI:
All but one of those towns are part of Queens. New Hyde Park is on Long Island.

For the record New York City is comprised of the 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. The confusion arises because Manhattan is also "New York" County in the State of New York. Brooklyn is Kings County, Staten Island is Richmond County, Queens is Queens County and the Bronx is Bronx County.

Now, the interpretation of "Greater New York" can vary but the general consensus is that it is comprised of New York City, Northern Jersey and Long Island.

my .02

Signed Rich:

of Rockaway Park
of the Rockaway Peninsula
of the Borough of Queens (aka, Queens County)
of New York City
of Greater New York
of New York State
of the North East
of the United States of America.
of Planet Earth wink

Shall I change those areas to Queens NY? Let me know and I can make it happen.

Miss Poi

Probably should.

miss poi wrote:

Shall I change those areas to Queens NY? Let me know and I can make it happen.

Miss Poi

It would be correct to add them to the Queens list. I'm wondering about the New Hyde Park entry. NYP is on the Queens border, it might be included there. Got the coordinates for that camera light? I won't be able to download the file for a few more weeks.

The Red Light Enforcement

The Red Light Enforcement Cameras can be found on the top right corner of this page. See the blue tabs? There ya go... wink

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

Yep, New Hyde Park is part

Yep, New Hyde Park is part of Long Island smile

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

But I thought...

I was under the impression that I couldn't download it until I was deemed an active member in a few weeks.

anyhoo...I just got nailed at what I think is a new camera. It's on Cross Bay Blvd and 156th Street in Howard Beach

Coordinates:

Lat: 40.664197
Long: -73.841120

You may want to add that if it's not there.

You are corrector or you can

You are correct or you can help support POI Factory with a $5 or $20 membership.

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

As good as done.

bandaid wrote:

You are correct or you can help support POI Factory with a $5 or $20 membership.

I'll take care of that in the next few days.

Just a reminder the free

Just a reminder the free option of just being an active member works. Active Member as in posting in the discussion forums.

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

Quote: For the record New

Quote:

For the record New York City is comprised of the 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. The confusion arises because Manhattan is also "New York" County in the State of New York. Brooklyn is Kings County, Staten Island is Richmond County, Queens is Queens County and the Bronx is Bronx County.

Manhattan is one of the boroughs and it is a CITY. The other boroughs are not cities and therefore not New York city.
Manhattan is New York as you would put 'NY, NY' when writing an address to some in Manhattan

If you live in Queens or brooklyn... there is no question when you say "I'm going to the City" The city is Manhattan.

Hey we wouldn't be New Yorkers if we didn't have some thing to argue about.

--
When in doubt Karen will take you there

disagree.

cruzh wrote:
Quote:

For the record New York City is comprised of the 5 boroughs, not just Manhattan. The confusion arises because Manhattan is also "New York" County in the State of New York. Brooklyn is Kings County, Staten Island is Richmond County, Queens is Queens County and the Bronx is Bronx County.

Manhattan is one of the boroughs and it is a CITY. The other boroughs are not cities and therefore not New York city.
Manhattan is New York as you would put 'NY, NY' when writing an address to some in Manhattan

If you live in Queens or brooklyn... there is no question when you say "I'm going to the City" The city is Manhattan.

Hey we wouldn't be New Yorkers if we didn't have some thing to argue about.

I disagree. New York County is Manhattan Island...therefore NY,NY. Officially, New York City is comprised of the 5 Boroughs. If you don't believe me look it up on Wikipedia or whatnot. (...no, I don't know why Staten Island isn't Richmond, NY or Brooklyn isn't Kings, NY)

When I head into Manhattan, I say "the city" because I live in Queens. But that is just a local thing. I even call anywhere in Queens or Brooklyn out of the Rockaways, the "Mainland" that's an even more local thing. This is nothing official.

We're arguing over semantics here. I'm talking about what's officially on the books and your talking about local vernacular. I don't consider the "outer" boroughs to be very city like either. But someone in east bum flick, anywhere USA may disagree.

How did we get into this discussion anyway? Oh yeah...what comprises Greater New York. How would you name that red light file anyhoo?

LOL wow I didnt realize I

LOL wow I didnt realize I started this whole big thing over this. My understanding of the Greater NY area was always 5 boros, Long Island, Westchester county, Little part of NJ so thats why I asked.

Healthy Discussion

yozh wrote:

LOL wow I didnt realize I started this whole big thing over this. My understanding of the Greater NY area was always 5 boros, Long Island, Westchester county, Little part of NJ so thats why I asked.

It's not a big thing. It's actually a very interesting conversation on semantics. I just did a little more research and your idea of "Greater New York" is correct. I neglected to add Westchester and Yonkers to my definition. The hub-bub is over the definition of New York City, which all but one of the cameras on file are located. I would have assumed that "Greater New York" would include the area surrounding the boroughs including northern Jersey.

I love this kind of talk. Next we can argue over which is worse to drive...The Van Wyck, Cross Bronx, or Major Deegan. Then we can argue over the pronunciation of Van Wyck. Then we can talk about the proposed bridge from the island to Connecticut that never came to fruition. New Yorkers will never run out of travel related discussions!!!!

I'm all confused

I'm not a New Yorker but I've relatives there. Didn't realize all these things about NY on this thread. Always learn something new.

You started this..,The Cross

You started this..,The Cross Bronx has to be the worst highway to be on lol.

--
nüvi 3590LMT "always backup your files"

LOL, Let's pull up our sleeves on this one.

bandaid wrote:

You started this..,The Cross Bronx has to be the worst highway to be on lol.

LMAO!

Actually it depends. If the Yanks are playing home then the Deegan can trump the Cross Bronx. Then again, traffic from the Deegan can back up to the Cross Bronx. Now the Van Wyck is consistently bad. Like they said in Seindfeld..."Nobody beats the Van Wyck!" My choice? Taking the Van Wyck to the Whitestone Bridge to the Cross Bronx (South...Even though it really goes east-west) to the Major Deegan north! That route is just trouble waiting to happen.

Van Wyck is gata be the

Van Wyck is gata be the worst highway ever, there is always never ending construction and it lead in and out of, one of the biggest and busyes airports in the world. Now try taking FDR or west side in the morning or late (rush hour) in the afternoon. Now if you want to talk about bad how about BQE between Brooklyn bridge and LIE ? People always say that traffic is bad in LA. But NY traffic I think is the worst anywhere you go during rush hour there is always traffic. As I just got to work it took me 1:30 to drive 25 miles from Valley Stream Nassau to Melville Suffolk. Souther State parkway is the worst.

Oh and yeah I forgot to include Yonkers as part of Greater New York Area as Boxofrain mentioned.

"New Yorkers will never run

"New Yorkers will never run out of travel related discussions!!!!"

Thats because we have some many backed up roads and therefore many worthy stories to tell.
I live in the boston area now and I find it funny that people here complain about traffic. There are only a few places that you have to worry about here compared to my birthplace.

Peace

--
When in doubt Karen will take you there

Quote: Manhattan is one of

Quote:

Manhattan is one of the boroughs and it is a CITY. The other boroughs are not cities and therefore not New York city.
Manhattan is New York as you would put 'NY, NY' when writing an address to some in Manhattan

You are incorrect. The City of Greater New York (the proper, full name) was incorporated in 1889, adding the three southern boroughs to the existing City of New York, which was Manhattan and the Bronx. The city government, which manages ALL FIVE boroughs, is seated at City Hall in lower Manhattan.

Manhattan is not an independent city, nor are any of the boroughs. Only taken together, all five, as a group, are they legally considered a "city".

To a previous commenter: "The Greater New York Area" generally means the five boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk (some may omit this), Westchester, and Rockland Counties in New York, and Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union, and Middlesex (may be omitted) Counties in New Jersey.

This is great thread! Hmmm

This is great thread! Hmmm let's see where does up state NY begin? People in NYC tend to think of Westchester as upstate and people in Albany tend to think of the Hudson Valley as downstate and Binghamton/Albany as upstate. NY State officials in Albany named the correctional facility in Beacon, NY as the Downstate Correctional Facility...so who right? It depends.

--
Nuvi 1350LMT, Nuvi 350, Nuvi 260, Garmin GPS III, Basecamp, Garmin Topo

Forgetaboutit

Being from Lunguyland (that's Long Island) for you non New Yawkers - this is a great thread on regional geography.

Unfortunately I believe we are going to see more red light cameras on LI in the future...

--
Garmin C340

1898

DrGaellon wrote:
Quote:

Manhattan is one of the boroughs and it is a CITY. The other boroughs are not cities and therefore not New York city.
Manhattan is New York as you would put 'NY, NY' when writing an address to some in Manhattan

You are incorrect. The City of Greater New York (the proper, full name) was incorporated in 1889, adding the three southern boroughs to the existing City of New York, which was Manhattan and the Bronx. The city government, which manages ALL FIVE boroughs, is seated at City Hall in lower Manhattan.

Manhattan is not an independent city, nor are any of the boroughs. Only taken together, all five, as a group, are they legally considered a "city".

To a previous commenter: "The Greater New York Area" generally means the five boroughs, Nassau, Suffolk (some may omit this), Westchester, and Rockland Counties in New York, and Bergen, Hudson, Essex, Union, and Middlesex (may be omitted) Counties in New Jersey.

The City of Brooklyn came to an end in 1898 (not 1889) and became part of the City of New York. The phrase "City of Greater New York" was never a legal or official designation as both the original charter of 1898 and the newer one of 1938 use the name of "City of New York". The five boroughs of the City of New York are Brooklyn (Kings County), Manhattan (New York County), Queens (Queens County), The Bronx (Bronx County), and Staten Island (Richmond County). New York City therefore comprises five of the sixty-two counties of New York State. Kings County (Brooklyn) has the largest population of all sixty-two counties. Some people think that Brooklyn is one of "The Outer Boroughs" -- they cannot read a map -- Brooklyn is surrounded by the other four. I live in Brooklyn.

--
nüvi 1490T, V1, Sanyo PRO-700a, maps, sunglasses, hot co-pilot, the open road

sponsored links