for the post office file, is there any way to delete out all the historical post offices if they're no longer in service? any way to find the little blue metal usps boxes on street corners?
1) Open the .csv file in MS Excel
2) Click on the top of column C to select the whole column
3) Click on "Data" then "Text to Columns..."
4) Select "Delimited" then hit "Next"
5) In the Delimiters field, click on "other" and in the box next to that, type the left-paren ( character, then click "Next" then "Finish". This will create a 4th column with the text 'historical)' in it.
6) Now select the entire spreadsheet ( the box to the left of the A column and above the line 1 box. This will highlight the entire sheet
7) Click on "Data" then "Sort". In the pop-up sort window choose Sort by Column D then by Column C ( no header row ) then hit OK.
8) This will put all 11,053 entries with the word historical at the top of the sheet in column D.
9) Highlight all 11,053 rows ( this will take awhile ) and then hit "Edit" then "Delete"
10) Save the file and that should be what you're looking for, 11,358 rows of Post Office POIs.
awesome! thanks. so w/o downloading any additional programs, how do i get post offices for southern california, or california in general?
nevermind. i figured it out. opened up the california attractions poi....range was 23-42 and neg (114-124). first sorted by longitude and deleted appropriate cells. Then sorted by latitude and deleted appropriate cells. now i've got a 1235 post office location for california plus a few areas of other surrounding states.
looks like my nuvi 350 has some post offices that this one doesn't...so i'll just use my nuvi.
any way to find the little blue metal usps boxes on street corners?
Blue Metal usps mail boxes
is there an easy way to convert it to poi format? lat/long?
some hard ways are easier than others.
depends on how accurate you want them and how much time you are willing to put into the project.
I don't recommend any method of finding lat long over the other. Although some methods are more accurate than others. That's something each person creating a poi will have to determine for themselves.
I'm sure others will offer their preferred method.
terms | privacy | contactCopyright © 2006-2022