Are there any practical limits to Track Logs or track log points these days?

 

In ancient times (model 45, III+, V deluxe for example) there were some serious hardware memory limits. Garmin had some not-always-predictable limits to the number of track logs, points per log, and total points that were saved.

These days with memory as cheap as it is, is there anything other than physical memory space that limits the data saved on the unit?

I've spent the last four years using an Apple CarPlay head unit in my commute vehicle. When I missed having any history data available, I bought an Automatic Labs ODBII dongle (despite the obvious privacy threats). Now they're going under, and all their competitors want an exorbitant monthly fee for similar service. Since I do also miss the trip timers and things like moving average speed, overall average speed, and stopped time, I'm going back to having a gps in the car along with CarPlay.

I like my 2797. I used it for a couple years in my Mini Cooper (windshield suction cup RAM mount at the left A-pillar). But it's bigger and heavier than I want to mess with when I have to take it down for theft control. I'm probably going to buy a DriveSmart 55, despite Garmin's Mac hostility (and you really haven't experienced peak hostility unless you tried to get a Mac IIci to talk to a III+). Basecamp does work in MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), so they have fixed the 64-bit issue.

Anyway, the DS55 nominally has 7GB free (unless most of that is really reserved for map update swap space). 32GB microSD cards are practically free, too, so memory itself shouldn't be a problem. The reason I care is that I don't want to have to drag the gps upstairs all that often to download the commuting data I want to keep before it gets overwritten by a log rollover.

In case you're wondering why I'm going to keep using maps in CarPlay, it's because Apple's estimated time of arrival is stunningly better than anything I ever saw from Garmin. FM traffic was laughable. HD traffic was better, but only in really well-covered metro areas (where it was still 20 minutes behind). SmartLink was pretty good some of the time, but not often enough to count on. I'll be trying Garmin Drive (which I suspect is the current rendition of the same data sources as Smartlink with some improvements that tend to happen naturally over time). On a 45-minute commute, Apple maps is usually less than a minute off for most of the drive time, and small variations along the way are real hints of developing slowdowns. I'll be using the gps for data logging and on the road trip timers.

Dave

--
Dave - Garmin model 45, III+, V deluxe, SP2610, Nuvi 760, 1450, 2797

Yes

There are limits depending on the device. Favourites or saved places are generally limited to 1000, with routes limited to 200. Note the caveat, limits depend on the device so these numbers aren't accurate for all.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Trip log rollover

Trip log rollover on the newer Garmin models doesn't cause the data to be lost. The trip logs are archived in folder \GPX\Archive.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Trip Log Rollover

Quote:

Trip log rollover on the newer Garmin models doesn't cause the data to be lost. The trip logs are archived in folder GPXArchive.

Good to know. I was wondering what caused the archive to be created. I'm digging around in my 2797 archives to see if I can figure out the differences among the 20 files, since there is a fair amount of duplication.

Will the archive spill over automatically onto an SDcard if it is present in the gps and base memory is full?

In my case though, the archive makes life a little harder since the GPX/Archive folder is not accessible to Basecamp, and the DS55 doesn't mount as a drive on Macs. I'll have to count on my Windows 10 VM (a bit risky because USB devices are not universally available through VMWare) or hope that Android File Transfer works for me.

Still probably worth the risk for me. I like the much higher resolution screen and the possibility that Galileo satellites will be an interesting addition. Having weather available through Garmin Drive is another possibly significant improvement.

--
Dave - Garmin model 45, III+, V deluxe, SP2610, Nuvi 760, 1450, 2797

Could be a reason on estimated time..

dbreiser wrote:

In case you're wondering why I'm going to keep using maps in CarPlay, it's because Apple's estimated time of arrival is stunningly better than anything I ever saw from Garmin. FM traffic was laughable. HD traffic was better, but only in really well-covered metro areas (where it was still 20 minutes behind). SmartLink was pretty good some of the time, but not often enough to count on. I'll be trying Garmin Drive (which I suspect is the current rendition of the same data sources as Smartlink with some improvements that tend to happen naturally over time). On a 45-minute commute, Apple maps is usually less than a minute off for most of the drive time, and small variations along the way are real hints of developing slowdowns. I'll be using the gps for data logging and on the road trip timers.
Dave

I don’t have an Apple navi product so I can’t identify with your experience. I do find the times on Garmin very slightly high, but not objectionably so. Keep in mind it performs a calculation based on speed limits, and generally people tend to exceed the limit by a slight amount. I travel frequently from Philadelphia to the Cleveland area. I know for instance that you can go 6 mph over on the PA turnpike. That 6 mph trims about 6 seconds per mile (at 60 mph) as compared to the calculated time Do that for 300+ miles and it adds up.

--
John from PA

Mac Also

dbreiser wrote:
Quote:

Trip log rollover on the newer Garmin models doesn't cause the data to be lost. The trip logs are archived in folder GPXArchive.

Good to know. I was wondering what caused the archive to be created. I'm digging around in my 2797 archives to see if I can figure out the differences among the 20 files, since there is a fair amount of duplication.

Will the archive spill over automatically onto an SDcard if it is present in the gps and base memory is full?

In my case though, the archive makes life a little harder since the GPX/Archive folder is not accessible to Basecamp, and the DS55 doesn't mount as a drive on Macs. I'll have to count on my Windows 10 VM (a bit risky because USB devices are not universally available through VMWare) or hope that Android File Transfer works for me.

Still probably worth the risk for me. I like the much higher resolution screen and the possibility that Galileo satellites will be an interesting addition. Having weather available through Garmin Drive is another possibly significant improvement.

MacBookPro here, and DS55. I have 3 VMs, Win7, Win10, and Ubuntu Linux on VirtualBox. The 55 won't mount on any of them, because they are still going through the Mac Port. I'm sort of thinking that Garmin doesn't give a RA about Macs anymore. Delorme, who Garmin bought, had the same attitude.

I keep forgetting to try my DS55 on my sons PC. It just never crosses my mind when I'm there.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Arrival time estimates

John from PA wrote:

I don’t have an Apple navi product so I can’t identify with your experience. I do find the times on Garmin very slightly high, but not objectionably so. Keep in mind it performs a calculation based on speed limits, and generally people tend to exceed the limit by a slight amount. I travel frequently from Philadelphia to the Cleveland area. I know for instance that you can go 6 mph over on the PA turnpike. That 6 mph trims about 6 seconds per mile (at 60 mph) as compared to the calculated time Do that for 300+ miles and it adds up.

I seem to remember one of my Garmins would let me set average speeds for 3 classes of roads, but I can't remember which one. And I don't see the option on my 2797.

Open road speeds have never been a problem. Traffic has always been a problem for me with Garmin units. I live in the boonies (Allentown), and commute towards civilization (Lansdale+train, or Philly). There is no HD traffic in Allentown (at least not 5 years ago), and it would take me essentially all the way to Lansdale to get a decent traffic data stream, and then it would twitch around a lot. Smartlink made things much better, but it would still make sudden 10 minute jumps in arrival time which usually never appeared in real life. Your experience suggests they've made improvements while I've been relying solely on phone data and Apple maps.

The PA turnpike is a zoo often. Until they announced the mobile speed trap cameras in March for construction zones, the morning commute time speed in the cattle chute construction zone of the northeast extension was 75-80 mph (posted 55). Sharing 2 lanes + 3 feet (total width between concrete barriers) with trucks at high speeds does get the adrenaline going.

--
Dave - Garmin model 45, III+, V deluxe, SP2610, Nuvi 760, 1450, 2797

USB connections to VMs

phranc wrote:

MacBookPro here, and DS55. I have 3 VMs, Win7, Win10, and Ubuntu Linux on VirtualBox. The 55 won't mount on any of them, because they are still going through the Mac Port.

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of that. I have had occasional success connecting various USB devices to a VM through a Mac port. But many of them haven't worked.

--
Dave - Garmin model 45, III+, V deluxe, SP2610, Nuvi 760, 1450, 2797

Officially, Garmin told me

Officially, Garmin told me that the DS55 and 65 do not support the C3 port on the newer Macs. However, that was a huge lie, since, at the time, I had an older MacBook that had USB2 ports and couldn't connect the DS55 or 65 to that.

So I just took the as they now longer support connecting new models to Macs.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Well

dbreiser wrote:

I seem to remember one of my Garmins would let me set average speeds for 3 classes of roads, but I can't remember which one. And I don't see the option on my 2797.

Newer devices 'learn' your typical speeds on various road classes, so the more you use it the more accurate the times should become.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Learn

sussamb wrote:
dbreiser wrote:

I seem to remember one of my Garmins would let me set average speeds for 3 classes of roads, but I can't remember which one. And I don't see the option on my 2797.

Newer devices 'learn' your typical speeds on various road classes, so the more you use it the more accurate the times should become.

I think it's way older than that. My old Nuvi 760(700 series) could learn your driving habits. I think if you've got time, you can search on "learn" and probably find more than one thread discussing this.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Learn

sussamb wrote:
dbreiser wrote:

I seem to remember one of my Garmins would let me set average speeds for 3 classes of roads, but I can't remember which one. And I don't see the option on my 2797.

Newer devices 'learn' your typical speeds on various road classes, so the more you use it the more accurate the times should become.

I think it's way older than that. My old Nuvi 760(700 series) could learn your driving habits. I think if you've got time, you can search on "learn" and probably find more than one thread discussing this.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Well

You may be right, here's the Garmin FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=Sa6mJGACV07fxBFWKu9tb6

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20