Extra POI Editor

 

What are people using to edit and create POI files now that Extra POI Editor cannot display maps?

I haven't missed it

edserrano wrote:

What are people using to edit and create POI files now that Extra POI Editor cannot display maps?

I personally didn't use it before it stopped working so I don't miss it now. Perhaps I wasn't using some function of that panel that I didn't know existed?

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

I Use

I create files by concurrently running Google Maps, Basecamp and Mapsource. With my 27" monitor, I can use a split screen to view them simultaneously.

I first create a file in Basecamp and save it as both a .KML & .GDB file which I then import into Google earth. I switch back and forth between Google Earth and Google Maps to get the best information. I repeat this process as necessary to check & edit my work.

I open the .GDB file in Mapsource to take advantage of it's better track modification tools and more user friendly interface.

I use my internet browser for more detailed research and copy & paste pertinent information into my files.

The process is far more cumbersome than using EPE but it gets the job done.

I go to Google, find my POI,

I go to Google, find my POI, right click>What's here?>copy the coordinates, then paste to Basecamp, make it a waypoint, and you're done. You can either upload the data to your unit, or you can drag and drop to create a route in Basecamp and then upload it. Been doing this for years. EPE doesn't work on a Mac.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Wow.

bdhsfz6 wrote:

I create files by concurrently running Google Maps, Basecamp and Mapsource. With my 27" monitor, I can use a split screen to view them simultaneously.

I first create a file in Basecamp and save it as both a .KML & .GDB file which I then import into Google earth. I switch back and forth between Google Earth and Google Maps to get the best information. I repeat this process as necessary to check & edit my work.

I open the .GDB file in Mapsource to take advantage of it's better track modification tools and more user friendly interface.

I use my internet browser for more detailed research and copy & paste pertinent information into my files.

The process is far more cumbersome than using EPE but it gets the job done.

That's WAY TOO MUCH work!

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

GPX Editor

I use GPX editor. It gives the poi on a map. i use EPE to convert into the format i need for my TomTom.

Easy

phranc wrote:

I go to Google, find my POI, right click>What's here?>copy the coordinates, then paste to Basecamp, make it a waypoint, and you're done. You can either upload the data to your unit, or you can drag and drop to create a route in Basecamp and then upload it. Been doing this for years. EPE doesn't work on a Mac.

This sounds like an easy way to make POIs.
Thanks

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

What about the map

Does GPX Editor display the map?

I used a program called GeePex Editor, but they ran into the same problem as EPE when they could not use Google without paying an exorbitant fee.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Works good

phranc wrote:

I go to Google, find my POI, right click>What's here?>copy the coordinates, then paste to Basecamp, make it a waypoint, and you're done. You can either upload the data to your unit, or you can drag and drop to create a route in Basecamp and then upload it. Been doing this for years. EPE doesn't work on a Mac.

Just tried it. Only works on Google Maps, not Earth, but can still show satellite view in Maps.

One less step than using a Push Pin, in Earth.

I then copy into EPE.

Thanks for your wisdom, Phranc

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Not all that much - use POI

Not all that much - use POI Loader much more, too bad there have not been new versions of either.

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S

Windows crashed!!!

Can you imagine that? It happened in the midst of an EPE session and corrupted my working copy of EPE. I knew I had a copy of the installer but it wasn't where I thought I kept it. Starting to panic, I did a search here as I remembered that this was discussed some time back about Wikispaces went away. THANK YOU Camerabob!

For those who may be in a similar boat, here's the link I found that saved the day for me.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/38068

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Installing Extra_POI_Loader

I moved toa new PC and cannot get Extra_POI_Loader to install. I get the following error message: "Component 'Richtx32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid."

Has anyone experienced this issue and is there a solution?

Thanks
-Herschel

You have to install an older

You have to install an older version of Microsoft.NET Framework to get it to work.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

GPX Editor

Same here - GPX Editor

Garmin Software Update

Updated the Garmin software on my computer and now I can not get Extra POI Editor to work. When I double click on the program it shows in my taskbar but will do nothing else.

Not sure if this is a way for Garmin to force people to use basecamp by disabling other software or what.

Any thoughts?

What software did you

What software did you update? The map? No one has complained of any Garmin Software disabling any other software.

If you have updated your Windows OS, you may have to reinstall Extra POI Loader. At the the very least, make sure the required version of .NET is installed. It doesn't work with the later versions of the .NET software.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

I may have to learn a couple new tricks

phranc wrote:

I go to Google, find my POI, right click>What's here?>copy the coordinates, then paste to Basecamp, make it a waypoint, and you're done. You can either upload the data to your unit, or you can drag and drop to create a route in Basecamp and then upload it. ...

Like many of us, I began with an earlier version of EPE where the coordinates had to be filled in manually (copy-paste). Turbo added the ability to geocode an address from Google directly from EPE and that spoiled me. I usually had to only drag the cursor on the EPE map window to refine the coordinates and occasionally had to revert to manual when the geocoding was too far off. Turbo worked hard at fixing EPE each time Google made changes until it would have become a significant expense to pay Google for the interface.

I returned to what I did in the beginning, much like phranc; I use Google to find the correct location then What's here > copy and paste the resulting coordinates into the empty comments box on the EPE input window and then cut/paste them into the lat/lon fields and save.

I think the day is nearing that I may part company with Windows 100%. I have BaseCamp installed on my Mac, but I've never explored its potential. Perhaps it is time for me to learn something new so that I can continue producing and updating my POI files.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

I use Basecamp, a lot.

I use Basecamp, a lot. Sometimes I wish it had less features. If you right click a waypoint and choose Start a New Trip, you get a Trip Planner in the left column that is so far beyond useless as to be a comedy.

Far easier to choose the 3 dot symbol in the tool bar then drag your waypoints to the popup.

I cut my teeth on Delome's AAA trip planner and have every one of the Street Atlas and Topo programs they released. It was so intuitive and easy to use. I had hope when Garmin bought Delorme they would drop Basecamp and use Street Atlas. No such thing, they scrapped the finest mapping program there every was, and only keep the watches exercise stuff.

What a waste. I mostly use Google to map a trip, and save a .gpx of it and put it on my Garmin.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Space bar?

fmhsgrad96 wrote:

Updated the Garmin software on my computer and now I can not get Extra POI Editor to work. When I double click on the program it shows in my taskbar but will do nothing else.
Not sure if this is a way for Garmin to force people to use basecamp by disabling other software or what.Any thoughts?

Is this the problem that was circumvented by holding down the space bar when you double click the icon? I think it was the space bar but it may have been a different key. But we've seen this situation before (2-3 years ago?) and there was a workaround.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

agree

phranc wrote:

I use Basecamp, a lot. Sometimes I wish it had less features. If you right click a waypoint and choose Start a New Trip, you get a Trip Planner in the left column that is so far beyond useless as to be a comedy.

Far easier to choose the 3 dot symbol in the tool bar then drag your waypoints to the popup.

I cut my teeth on Delome's AAA trip planner and have every one of the Street Atlas and Topo programs they released. It was so intuitive and easy to use. I had hope when Garmin bought Delorme they would drop Basecamp and use Street Atlas. No such thing, they scrapped the finest mapping program there every was, and only keep the watches exercise stuff.

What a waste. I mostly use Google to map a trip, and save a .gpx of it and put it on my Garmin.

I was hoping when garmin bought delorme they would incorporate the best of delorme mapping software into basecamp or least allow the delorme software to access garmin maps

I updated the Garmin express

I updated the Garmin express software. I do not believe I did any Windows OS updates. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Extra POI Loader and the problem persists.

.NET? please elaborate.

Microsoft Developer

Microsoft Developer Software. If you don't have the Version that EPOI requires, it won't work. I'm not sure what version it requires. You can get the info at the link you got the software. But it's a legacy Verion, not the newest.

https://www.mooseintl.org/?s=one+moose

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

6.04

phranc wrote:

Microsoft Developer Software. If you don't have the Version that EPOI requires, it won't work. I'm not sure what version it requires. You can get the info at the link you got the software. But it's a legacy Verion, not the newest.

https://www.mooseintl.org/?s=one+moose

Im running TurboCCC Extra POI Editor 6.04

Someone else is going to

Someone else is going to have to jump in here. I run a Mac and have never run EPOI. you need to review the program's requisites.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Have you tried this?

The following information was added in the Code a while back, did you try it yet.. might fix your issue!

Added command-line parameter -reset to clear the registry before running EPE.

Just type: Extra_POI_Editor -reset

This will clear the registry of any invalid EPE entry. This can be used when your EPE does not appear on the screen anymore or if you have a runtime error.

Let me know if that Fixes it!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

I gave up on Extra POI

I gave up on Extra POI Editor about the time that the author gave up. Google updates it pathways so often the developers just cannot keep up with the changes. I deleted the program and never looked back.

Basecamp. Don't even get me started on that POS. Overblown and too complicated to use on a regular basis to find anything. I deleted this also.

Mapsource, well, that's history too.

Steet Atlas was SOOOOOOOO much better.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.