What Am I Doing Wrong: POI Alert Distance

 

I've tried to set up POIs to alert me when ~3 miles away. In the past I've succeeded but I apparently made some mistake that I keep repeating. I know I've made an error as the alarm goes off after entering a parking lot rather than 3 miles off.

This is what I've done:

start POI Loader
remove all previous POIs

start POI Loader
select: units: feet & MPH
select: manual

Home_Depot_USA.csv
check: contains proximity alert points
select: alert when you get close to a point
alert at distance= 16000 ft

Lowes_USA_Can.csv
check: contains proximity alert points
select: alert when you get close to a point
alert at distance= 16000 ft

Rest Areas with restrooms.csv
check: contains proximity alert points
select: alert when you get close to a point
alert at distance= 16000 ft

Walmart_United States Canada.csv
check: contains proximity alert points
select: alert when you get clost to a point
alert at distance= 16000 ft

What have I done wrong?

98-foot issue

Although I expect the Rest area alerts should work for you now, I expect the others are failing due to the '98-foot along-the-route' error:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42425

Read the portions of the FAQ discussing Along the Road/Route Alerts and TourGuide Alerts.

Two solutions are possible:

1) Use TourGuides (easy but prone to false positive alerts in your examples) and

2) Reconfigure the POI locations from what I expect are the building locations and locate them at the entrance to the driveway (much effort required)

Another thing to consider, and this is a personal choice issue that each of us handles differently, is whether you truly want to be notified with an audio alert all the time when near any of these businesses.

Many Thanks

I believe that the message you are referring to was also referred to recently and I skimmed it then. Thanks for actually getting me to read it carefully.

It turns out that my problem was worse than I thought. I thought that what I was doing was working and that after a change something began to fail. Now I think that at first the rest area POIs worked. I later added the big box stores POIs and didn't carefully evaluate the results.

Thanks again.

Give more thought to what you want generate alerts

CraigW wrote:

Although I expect the Rest area alerts should work for you now, I expect the others are failing due to the '98-foot along-the-route' error:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/42425

Read the portions of the FAQ discussing Along the Road/Route Alerts and TourGuide Alerts.

Two solutions are possible:

1) Use TourGuides (easy but prone to false positive alerts in your examples) and

2) Reconfigure the POI locations from what I expect are the building locations and locate them at the entrance to the driveway (much effort required)

Another thing to consider, and this is a personal choice issue that each of us handles differently, is whether you truly want to be notified with an audio alert all the time when near any of these businesses.

I totally agree with CraigW. It will ultimately drive you nuts if you have proximity alerts on too many locations.

I have proximity alerts only on rest areas and red light cameras.

If I have Lowe's POIs installed I can look up the nearest one and go there.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Alert

It should also be noted that using TourGuide files will cause other pois located in the radius alert area to sound off. Especially when using a larger radius.

My first experience was with a TourGuide file for Sams with gas station.The alert for Cracker Barrel would sound off every time I got into the alert radius for a certain Sams club. Unless for a special file, I don't use TourGuide much any more.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Interesting

charlesd45 wrote:

It should also be noted that using TourGuide files will cause other pois located in the radius alert area to sound off. Especially when using a larger radius.

My first experience was with a TourGuide file for Sams with gas station.The alert for Cracker Barrel would sound off every time I got into the alert radius for a certain Sams club. Unless for a special file, I don't use TourGuide much any more.

I never knew that. Live and learn.

Not me

I have never had that happen.
I use a gas station TourGuide set at 5280 ft and within that radius is a Redlight camera alert (not a TourGuide) set at 700 ft and have never had the Redlight alert go off a mile away.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Have never had that happen.

I use TourGuide on Walmart and a few other files and have never experienced any other alerts unless that "other" alert was within range. Whether it be a TourGuide or a along the route alert.

CraigW wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

It should also be noted that using TourGuide files will cause other pois located in the radius alert area to sound off. Especially when using a larger radius.

My first experience was with a TourGuide file for Sams with gas station.The alert for Cracker Barrel would sound off every time I got into the alert radius for a certain Sams club. Unless for a special file, I don't use TourGuide much any more.

I never knew that. Live and learn.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Alerts

On my example the Sams club TourGuide for the gas station.The road ran East and West. For Cracker Barrel along the road alert.The road ran North and South. The radius alert for Sams extended out to the Cracker Barrel. If no TourGuide file was available, I would not get the Cracker Barrel alert at that same location because it was to far away to trigger the alert.I would have to be on the road the Cracker Barrel was located at.Alert set for the CB entrance.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.