It's been so long I've completely forgotten how to (Basecamp route)

 

Hello,
I have a Garmin Nuvi and have installed Basecamp on my Windows 10 machine.

I have a CVS file with a list of places including the Longitude and latitude and other necessary information.

What I want to do is create an efficient route in my Garmin GPS from those points so I can use the Garmin Nuvi to navigate to the points one by one via the most efficient routing.

Is there a step by step guide?
Don't I have to convert the CVS file into a GPX file or something first then import the GPX file either into BaseCamp or directly into the Garmin GPS?

I have totally forgotten everything

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

I have given up on

I have given up on Basecamp.

I now use the GPS Trip Planner, or whatever it's called on the different units, and just select the POI and add it into the trip.

Saves me from getting a headache with Basecamp.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

You've been around long

You've been around long enough, as have I, I'm still more comfortable using MapSource.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Basecamp

Basecamp can indeed be a chore to use if you don't do it often.

What I do to use .CSV files with Basecamp is convert them to .GPX using Extra POI Editor (EPE). The program is freeware and available here:

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Extra-POI-Edit...

EPE is no picnic to use either but file conversion is simple. Just open the .CSV file and immediately save it selecting the .GPX format. You can then open it in Basecamp and create your route using it's trip planner function. Then download to your trip planner compatible Nuvi.

Garmin's Trip Planner guide is available here:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/basecamppc/EN-US/GUI...

Extra POI Editor - Page No Longer Available

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but every time I've tried to download Extra POI Editor all I get is.....

"Page No Longer Available"

Is it just me?

Meanwhile.....I got tired of waiting and searching and went ahead and wrote my own GPX file creator utilizing Coldfusion.

Now I can use my local server to quickly convert my CSV files to Garmin GPX format in a few seconds. That problem is solved.

I'd still like to download Extra POI Editor if someone could ppint me to a working link. There may be other features there I can use? It might also give me ideas for adding features to the program I wrote for my private use.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

EPE is not on Wikispaces anymore

Camerabob was kind enough to host it here:
http://camerabob.dyndns.org:5190/TurboCCC/

I guess you didn't wait long enough?

mistypotato wrote:

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but every time I've tried to download Extra POI Editor all I get is.....

"Page No Longer Available"

Is it just me?

Meanwhile.....I got tired of waiting and searching and went ahead and wrote my own GPX file creator utilizing Coldfusion.

Now I can use my local server to quickly convert my CSV files to Garmin GPX format in a few seconds. That problem is solved.

I'd still like to download Extra POI Editor if someone could ppint me to a working link. There may be other features there I can use? It might also give me ideas for adding features to the program I wrote for my private use.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Thanks Camerabob

I think a week was long enough. None of the other links worked and I'd been looking off and on for over a week.

But thanks for the link. I'll still download it.

But since I've written something to do it, I can customize exactly for my uses. Took me less than an hour.

All's well that ends well.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Basecamp or Mapsource have some advantages

KenSny wrote:

I have given up on Basecamp.

I now use the GPS Trip Planner, or whatever it's called on the different units, and just select the POI and add it into the trip.

Saves me from getting a headache with Basecamp.

I still use Basecamp. Once you plot the waypoints, you can easily see the route in either Basecamp or Mapsource.

If you have to sneak another waypoint in to keep the routing the way that you want, it's easy to do. Harder to do that in Trip Planner.

Unfortunately, none of these programs provide the ability to add scheduled stops. On a long trip I open the route in Streets & Trips, add a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, to account for time to stretch the legs and a washroom break.

It's not perfect, but I have found it's pretty close to guestimating where you'll be at the end of the day.

Streets & Trips isn't supported anymore, but the routing is close enough for predicting your ETA.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

S&T

GPSgeek wrote:

Unfortunately, none of these programs provide the ability to add scheduled stops. On a long trip I open the route in Streets & Trips, add a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, to account for time to stretch the legs and a washroom break.It's not perfect, but I have found it's pretty close to guestimating where you'll be at the end of the day.Streets & Trips isn't supported anymore, but the routing is close enough for predicting your ETA.

Yes I also still use S&T 2013, but it will soon be 6 or more years out of date. So depending on where, the street, road or highway is they may not be shown in S&T 2013.

But having said that, my 2797 and my DriveSmart 50 LMTHD let me add timed stops once a route has been set up.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Basecamp YES - MapSource No

Windows 10
Garmin Express Updated Dec 20, 2018
Maps Updated Dec 20th 2018

For some reason, my Nuvi works just fine with Basecamp, but apparently, is not detected in Mapsource.

Anyone know how to get this situation resolved?

Thanks a treat

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Yep

Newer models by default connect in mtp mode, if you want MapSource to see them you need to switch them to mass storage mode.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

basecamp

actually you can, you can pick the date and time you want to leave, you can tell it how long you want to stay at that location, you can put your POI's in if you desire. e.g. I usually use 45 minutes for fuel stops.

EPE

The EPE download link provided in my earlier post works fine on my Win 7-64 desktop:

https://en.freedownloadmanager.org/Windows-PC/Extra-POI-Edit...

Link is broken

You are not actually downloading the file (or trying to), you are just getting to the page where you "COULD" download it.

Go ahead....try to actually download the file.

I agree it looks like you "could" download the file, but if you actually try to download it this is what comes up.....

https://i.imgur.com/3NGsEZu.jpg

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Wish Basecamp had that

Melaqueman wrote:
GPSgeek wrote:

Unfortunately, none of these programs provide the ability to add scheduled stops. On a long trip I open the route in Streets & Trips, add a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, to account for time to stretch the legs and a washroom break.It's not perfect, but I have found it's pretty close to guestimating where you'll be at the end of the day.Streets & Trips isn't supported anymore, but the routing is close enough for predicting your ETA.

Yes I also still use S&T 2013, but it will soon be 6 or more years out of date. So depending on where, the street, road or highway is they may not be shown in S&T 2013.

But having said that, my 2797 and my DriveSmart 50 LMTHD let me add timed stops once a route has been set up.

Great feature. Wish my NUVI 2555 and Basecamp had that

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

basecamp

GPSgeek wrote:
Melaqueman wrote:
GPSgeek wrote:

Unfortunately, none of these programs provide the ability to add scheduled stops. On a long trip I open the route in Streets & Trips, add a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, to account for time to stretch the legs and a washroom break.It's not perfect, but I have found it's pretty close to guestimating where you'll be at the end of the day.Streets & Trips isn't supported anymore, but the routing is close enough for predicting your ETA.

Yes I also still use S&T 2013, but it will soon be 6 or more years out of date. So depending on where, the street, road or highway is they may not be shown in S&T 2013.

But having said that, my 2797 and my DriveSmart 50 LMTHD let me add timed stops once a route has been set up.

Great feature. Wish my NUVI 2555 and Basecamp had that

base camp does it also

you can import and export routes to your garmin from basecamp

On to MapSource - but with issues

Mapsource seems to be what I'm looking for at this time. I was able to open all my waypoints in MS and create a route. SFSG.

But...when I tried to save it all back to the Device, it said "Success"....but nothing is there on the Device.

There are 44 Waypoints

I get a message that says "Route Too Long", route will be updated as you travel (or something like that).

Anyone know why Mapsource isn't accepting the route because I believe I've made considerably longer Routes in the past.

Do I just need to break down the Route into smaller sub-routes?

Thanks

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Well

The issue is your device, current devices can only have up to 30 points.

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

Don Norwood's

tutorials survive! They will serve as a starting point or refresher for Basecamp:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41134

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 3597LMTHD + 2557LMT + DS61LMT-S Boston MA

Sussamb - Here's to you.....

sussamb wrote:

The issue is your device, current devices can only have up to 30 points.

sussamb

I just wanted to tell you that twice today your advice has REALLY been helpful.

As well as others posted here. Great info.

Thanks!

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

BaseCamp Seems to do the trick after all

After getting some good advice, it seems Basecamp will do the trick.

I did find it tedious to have to manually import every waypoint one by one in Basecamp compared to Mapsource that has a much easier way to do it in bulk.

But it got the job done.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Well

You shouldn't have to. In BC select everything you want to import and send the whole lot at once.

You can do that in numerous ways. Use the select tool and draw a box on the map that includes all the data you want to send. Or in the list in the bottom left hand pane select as is normal in Windows using Ctrl + click or Shift + click. Now right click your selection and choose Send to ... or you can use Drag and drop, again as normal in Windows

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20

ST 2013 -> base camp

mistypotato wrote:

After getting some good advice, it seems Basecamp will do the trick.

I did find it tedious to have to manually import every waypoint one by one in Basecamp compared to Mapsource that has a much easier way to do it in bulk.

But it got the job done.

try exporting it to a GPX file then import that file into BaseCamp(import to mycollections) should work, I do that with Delorme Topo

sorry tried it with my ST2013 didn't work, openning the file with EPE then saving it as another name, was able to import into basecamp

Has anyone actually downloaded EPE lately?

I've tried every link posted here so far and Not One works.

sure, they'll take you to a page where it looks as though you "could" download the file, but if you actually TRY To DOWNLOAD the file you get NOT FOUND errors.

So again I humbly ask...does ANYONE have a working link to download it?

CameraBobs link goes to a private Verizon IP address 68.132.42.242, but I cannot find a download link.

I'm thinking folks are just going to the download page and seeing the Download LINK and making the assumption that the link works.

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Camerabob's links are working.

At least for me. Every one offers me a "save".

http://camerabob.dyndns.org:5190/TurboCCC/

mistypotato wrote:

I've tried every link posted here so far and Not One works.

sure, they'll take you to a page where it looks as though you "could" download the file, but if you actually TRY To DOWNLOAD the file you get NOT FOUND errors.

So again I humbly ask...does ANYONE have a working link to download it?

CameraBobs link goes to a private Verizon IP address 68.132.42.242, but I cannot find a download link.

I'm thinking folks are just going to the download page and seeing the Download LINK and making the assumption that the link works.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Got it thanks PW

I can't spell or pronounce your Username....but I used a different computer and the links worked.

Apparently they were blocked from the computer I was trying to use.

Thanks again

--
Nuvi 2595LMT --------- Nuvi 2460

Glad it worked

.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

I d suggest that

mistypotato wrote:

Apparently they were blocked from the computer I was trying to use.Thanks again

in the case of one computer working to download something and another does not, you may have a firewall or anti-virus program blocking you.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

Cant see scheduled stops in bssecamp

blake7mstr wrote:
GPSgeek wrote:
Melaqueman wrote:
GPSgeek wrote:

Unfortunately, none of these programs provide the ability to add scheduled stops. On a long trip I open the route in Streets & Trips, add a 15 minute stop every 2 hours, to account for time to stretch the legs and a washroom break.It's not perfect, but I have found it's pretty close to guestimating where you'll be at the end of the day.Streets & Trips isn't supported anymore, but the routing is close enough for predicting your ETA.

Yes I also still use S&T 2013, but it will soon be 6 or more years out of date. So depending on where, the street, road or highway is they may not be shown in S&T 2013.

But having said that, my 2797 and my DriveSmart 50 LMTHD let me add timed stops once a route has been set up.

Great feature. Wish my NUVI 2555 and Basecamp had that

base camp does it also

you can import and export routes to your garmin from basecamp

Just downloaded the latest Basecamp, but still cant see how to load scheduled stops, such as every 2 hours for 15 minutes.

Would appreciate some guidance.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

here are some instruction

I want to apologize for the instruction, I'm not the best writer, or even a good writer I hope the will get you to point where you can get the information you want

1. highlight 'my collections'
2. select the File tab
3. select import into 'my collections' this gives you a file selection screen (select the file you want to import)
4. what ever you named your file will show up in a list under my collections
5. if you have a trip set up it will show in the panel below the library as two point and a car, should also show up in the map
to the right
6. double click the trip that should show a panel with all the stop
double click one of the way-points this should give you another panel that allows you to edit the Via Point, you can
schedule arrival time departure time or layover for that point.
7. once everything is complete you and sent it to your garmin

if you just have a set of way-point you can get it to build the trip for you by selecting the way-point you want to use and then right click and select 'create rout ...'

It's not the same

GPSgeek wrote:

Just downloaded the latest Basecamp, but still cant see how to load scheduled stops, such as every 2 hours for 15 minutes.

Would appreciate some guidance.

S&T is a very different animal from Garmin. Just because they both use and create GPX files doesn't mean they handle them the same. It's like trying to run a IBM mainframe program using the 370 computer operating system on your PC. Even though they're both computers, they don't speak the same language. Garmin understands two things about a route, end points and waypoints. End points are the start and stop points, waypoints are the via or route shaping points. Where you want to put in a rest stop for 15 minutes, Garmin sees just a waypoint along your route and doesn't know anything about you wanting to spend 15 minutes there.

Just build your route, you can put in the places where you want to take a break, but don't expect your GPS to know you are going to stop and take a break. It only wants to get to the next point in your route.

As an aside, I use S&T to plan routes but I only set the start, end and shaping points necessary to keep on the roads desired. This is also very easily done with BaseCamp in almost the same manner. Set your start point, then the destination for either the trip or the day and then add waypoints to shape the route along the roads desired.

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."

Some clarification

Thanks blake7mstr and Boxcar.

I use S&T Scheduled Stops for estimation only. This feature gives me a fairly decent approximation of where I'll be at the end of each driving day. I create a trip plan for each day of a long trip. When we see the end of day ETA about 2 hours from the end of day location, we pull into a McDonalds and use their wifi to book a hotel.

In general, we generally find that we need a leg stretch and washroom break after about 2 hours of driving.(we could go much longer when we were younger LOL)

The Scheduled Stops that S&T produce might be in the middle of nowhere, but they do progressively add up the losses in driving distance. In a 8 hour driving day, you will end up with about an hour ir so added for restvarea and gas stops.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

as outdated

As outdated as S&T is now I, like you still find it an invaluable aid for trip planning. The ability to set start and stop times for a driving day is almost invaluable. I normally plan my entire route end-to-end and then let the program show me suggested overnight points on a multi-day trip. I then can look for accommodations near that point and use those as intermediate stops. I can then use that overnight stop to see where the next is and set up my route for the next day. I continue on through the entire route. At the end of breaking the trip into manageable segments I can then begin to balance out the trip to even out the distance per day.

When the balancing is complete, the roads chosen and double-checked, I then create a separate GPX for each day and load them into BaseCamp. This way I have a separate entry for each day with usually enough extra time in each day's travel to take care of lunch, rest stops and perhaps time to explore some attraction. BaseCamp allows me the ability to set the via points as shown or just forcing a route. I usually leave the major junctions visible so I can restart my route from any point and be routed to the next junction rather than the remaining route being recalculated and previous routing information being discarded.

--
"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid."

Same here

Box Car wrote:

As outdated as S&T is now I, like you still find it an invaluable aid for trip planning. The ability to set start and stop times for a driving day is almost invaluable. I normally plan my entire route end-to-end and then let the program show me suggested overnight points on a multi-day trip. I then can look for accommodations near that point and use those as intermediate stops. I can then use that overnight stop to see where the next is and set up my route for the next day. I continue on through the entire route. At the end of breaking the trip into manageable segments I can then begin to balance out the trip to even out the distance per day.

When the balancing is complete, the roads chosen and double-checked, I then create a separate GPX for each day and load them into BaseCamp. This way I have a separate entry for each day with usually enough extra time in each day's travel to take care of lunch, rest stops and perhaps time to explore some attraction. BaseCamp allows me the ability to set the via points as shown or just forcing a route. I usually leave the major junctions visible so I can restart my route from any point and be routed to the next junction rather than the remaining route being recalculated and previous routing information being discarded.

Your trip planning is very similar to mine. That's why I'd love to see Basecamp add the Scheduled Stop feature.

Maybe we should start a thread, and get members to post their desire for better trip planning tools.

We could submit these to Garmin and see if we could get some added features.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

scheduled stop

GPSgeek wrote:
Box Car wrote:

As outdated as S&T is now I, like you still find it an invaluable aid for trip planning. The ability to set start and stop times for a driving day is almost invaluable. I normally plan my entire route end-to-end and then let the program show me suggested overnight points on a multi-day trip. I then can look for accommodations near that point and use those as intermediate stops. I can then use that overnight stop to see where the next is and set up my route for the next day. I continue on through the entire route. At the end of breaking the trip into manageable segments I can then begin to balance out the trip to even out the distance per day.

When the balancing is complete, the roads chosen and double-checked, I then create a separate GPX for each day and load them into BaseCamp. This way I have a separate entry for each day with usually enough extra time in each day's travel to take care of lunch, rest stops and perhaps time to explore some attraction. BaseCamp allows me the ability to set the via points as shown or just forcing a route. I usually leave the major junctions visible so I can restart my route from any point and be routed to the next junction rather than the remaining route being recalculated and previous routing information being discarded.

Your trip planning is very similar to mine. That's why I'd love to see Basecamp add the Scheduled Stop feature.

Maybe we should start a thread, and get members to post their desire for better trip planning tools.

We could submit these to Garmin and see if we could get some added features.

the scheduled stop feature is in basecamp already, nice thing is it will move to you garmin unit when you send the trip to your device.

you can plan your trip in advance and have it ready before you leave

Just started the Basecamp Trip Planing feature thread.

Attention Boxcar:

Just started the Basecamp Trip Planing feature thread.

I'd love to see you add your suggestions.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350