New Driver's License

 

Not wanting to start what appeared to be a fight over this topic but I wonder if not getting a compliant license would get one out of federal jury duty because you couldn't enter the court house which certainly is a federal building.

The way I read the law the

The way I read the law the only Federal buildings affected are those that you need ID to enter, not all do, so some you will still be able to enter.

I've never been to a federal courthouse so I don't know the procedure there but my local county courthouse does not require ID to enter.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Federal Court Houses come

Federal Court Houses come under different rules. Most are going to require ID to access. Metal Detectors and such stuff.

--
Frank Nuvi 3597LMT 37.322760, -79.511267

ever

jwboyes wrote:

Not wanting to start what appeared to be a fight over this topic but I wonder if not getting a compliant license would get one out of federal jury duty because you couldn't enter the court house which certainly is a federal building.

Hear of contempt, and "warrant?"

And besides, why would you not do your civic duty?

Reread

He didn't say he didn't want to be on jury duty. He asked if he would be allowed in the court house. That is a reasonable question to me.

.

jwboyes wrote:

I wonder if not getting a compliant license would get one out of federal jury duty because you couldn't enter the court house which certainly is a federal building.

I highly doubt it but is federal jury duty any different than those jury summons I've been getting?

Jury duty

johnnatash4 wrote:

Hear of contempt, and "warrant?"
And besides, why would you not do your civic duty?

I'll give you a VERY GOOD reason !

For all of my working life I was employed where I would not have lost pay because of jury duty, my pay would have carried on. In fact I would have been happy to oblige.

In all those years NOT ONCE was I called for JD selection. In that time many people I know were called several times.

I retired in 2001 and had 3 letters in consecutive years wanting me to attend jury duty selections. I have finally convinced them to lay off me since I am only in Canada for 6 months in the summer and I am in Mexico all winter. Most of those jury trials happen in the winter months.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, SmartDrive 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

-I would think the Summons would spell out ID requirement

Regular DL would be OK in conjunction with Summons as you would be in a controlled environment area for Jury Duty. The Super ID requirement is for general access to Public Building Area's for Terrorism and Positive ID Access to Controlled Documents/Areas.

being out of the country

Melaqueman wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

Hear of contempt, and "warrant?"
And besides, why would you not do your civic duty?

I'll give you a VERY GOOD reason !

For all of my working life I was employed where I would not have lost pay because of jury duty, my pay would have carried on. In fact I would have been happy to oblige.

In all those years NOT ONCE was I called for JD selection. In that time many people I know were called several times.

I retired in 2001 and had 3 letters in consecutive years wanting me to attend jury duty selections. I have finally convinced them to lay off me since I am only in Canada for 6 months in the summer and I am in Mexico all winter. Most of those jury trials happen in the winter months.

is a valid reason. Again, we live in a community and it's a civic duty. If there's a valid reason why a person cannot do it, they can be excused.

For a while I was called each and every year without fail. It's now been over 3. Either way, I'm ok. But I hate the low garage they have for parking, seems like my wife's car would scrape. It's only 6'6". Her car is only 71" tall but it looks like it's close. A Suburban would have 1.6" to spare, I think that's too close for comfort. Time for taxpayers to buy the county a new parking garage.

I don't think so

jwboyes wrote:

Not wanting to start what appeared to be a fight over this topic but I wonder if not getting a compliant license would get one out of federal jury duty because you couldn't enter the court house which certainly is a federal building.

I'm sure they are going to make some arrangements to accommodate this.

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

My county

phranc wrote:

Federal Court Houses come under different rules. Most are going to require ID to access. Metal Detectors and such stuff.

My county courthouse does have metal detectors, but no ID requirement for entry.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Interesting

jwboyes does bring up an interesting point for federal courts in 2020 and state/municipal courts if they follow the fed's lead.

I see two ways that folks without a Real ID could still be made to appear for jury selection:

-their instructions could require them to bring the same state-required documentation as would be needed to obtain a Real ID DL, and

-if they already have a passport or similar non-DL form of Real ID, they could be required to bring that.

In any event, I think federal courts could still make you appear for jury selection, and jury duty, if selected for a trial.