Has anyone here ever gotten a speed or rlc ticket?

 

I have in 2002, and I didn't even know they existed.

My hunch is the % on this forum is < .01

I have always wanted to find a case where someone was wrongfully ticketed, other than the obvious, where a stationary vehicle got a ticket, or 100% of people got a ticket, i.e. malfunction. Never have seen one and I've been here a long time...still curious

Page 1>>

One of the reasons for this site is RLC location warnings

So if it works we should not be getting tickets, worked for me when we had RLC's and a few trips to Vegas

I did!

I got a RLC ticket in New York City in January 2009. I found this site a couple of weeks later...

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

never

Never run red lights and the only speeding I do is 6 miles over the limit on Interstate Hwys

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Phila., PA

I haven't but a guy I work with has in the work truck. I forget the fine amount as it was a few years ago, but in addition to the fine they sent two photo's one of him just crossing the stop line when the light was red and another of him most of the way through the intersection with the light still red.

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

Never a RLC ticket or speed

Never a RLC ticket or speed camera ticket, only tickets involving human judgement, but last ticket was in 1989, hence why not thru automated means.

3X

2 RLCs. Back in late 90's or early 2000's. Prince Georges County MD. I was guilty both times.

Got pinged by a speed camera on K St SE just 2 blocks after getting my truck out of underground parking garage in downtown DC just a couple years ago. My Garmin was still acquiring satellites in the tall building "canyons", hence it didn't warn me.

--
NUVI 350

Me neither

sunsetrunner wrote:

Never a RLC ticket or speed camera ticket, only tickets involving human judgement, but last ticket was in 1989, hence why not thru automated means.

I cannot even remember when I did get a speeding ticket, long,long ago.
Plus I look at the upcoming intersection and if the pedestrian light is flashing then the yellow (Which means STOP) is not far behind and I prepare to come to a stop. Not hammer the go pedal like so many idiots do these days no matter where!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10. DashCam with GPS.

Yup

Years ago, did not come to a full STOP on a red light turn, really sucked, traffic light was in a remote section in the county, $100 bucks

--
Garmin Nuvi 765T, Garmin Drive 60LM

Yep, about 6-7 years ago

Yep, about 6-7 years ago in Plano, Texas (a suburb of Dallas) where I live I received a RLC citation for running a red light. Accompanying the mailed citation was an image showing that my front wheels were a few feet prior to the cross-line when the traffic light had already turned red. Multiple images were available online on the city's dedicated RLC website.

I knew when it happened that I was a split-second late and would likely be cited for running the red light. I think the cost was $70, which was easily paid online, and no points were applied to my insurance.

I personally had no problem with receiving the citation. I was in a hurry and made a bad decision and the results were minimal. It was a good lesson for me to be more careful. I happen to feel that RLCs are not a bad thing, and should be treated as worthy lessons because bad decisions when driving can result in life-changing events - including injuries, death and personal devastation.

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

I was 16 years old

I was 16 years old when I received my only ticket.

I was driving down White Settlement Rd. in Fort Worth in the rain. I went through a yellow onto a red light. The cop stopped me. I gave him my license and he wrote the ticket. Then I began to cry and he said "If you had cried earlier I would have not given you the ticket but now it's too late".

My husband and I were dating when this happened and he paid the ticket for me and we didn't tell my parents until about 50 years later.

That was my one and only ticket I ever receive.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

LOL!

mgarledge wrote:

My husband and I were dating when this happened and he paid the ticket for me and we didn't tell my parents until about 50 years later.

I love that story Mary! Thanks for sharing.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

I have several of all kinds

Red light tickets, 80%+ guilty. Not sure of the ratio, but I did receive one where the OCR software was off and the plate on the vehicle pictured was one I never owned. When I called to complain and got ready for a fight, the person on the other end immediately realized from the image (which I didn't look at too closely) was off a by letter. It was removed from my vehicle immediately without a fight as it should have been. The other: I live on Long Island and work in the five boros of NYC. It happens, never intentionally. Nothing lately, but usually when I'm in a hurry, tired and not 100% there, or they were just installed and the light timing is short. (NO! That NEVER happens!)

Speed camera tickets. Thankfully Nassau county yanked that program and Suffolk where I live never implemented one. I got some in school zones (Queens County, NYC...), and one in Maryland at a construction zone on I95 just north of Baltimore. Not a wonderful start to a weeks vacation... None of these very recent. (2 or three years at least) I am mellowing with age. I also realize "Hey, it's work. So I'm a bit late. They don't reimburse for traffic infractions, so don't get 'em!" Only took me 35+ years of working and driving to figure that out...

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

.

As the saying goes, I could tell you, but then I'd have to . . .

wink

Many years ago in

Washington DC...I was 7 over mad

--
"You can't get there from here"

ticket

got one in the mail about speeding in a school zone for about $300 only problem was we we did not own the car any more we traded it in for a new car 6 months prior , when we looked at the picture we found ,
1. car was wrong color.
2. car was wrong model.
3. car had wrong plates.
we called the court and gave them the information and the young lady said there was nothing she could do ! so we told her when we go to court we would mention her name when the summons to appear in court came . about a week later we got a notice about it being the wrong car some times you can get people to get off there a** and do some thing !!

.

Not even once, except one traffic violation on right turn. $600+!

--
Michael (Nuvi 2639LMT)

Got a warning some years ago

Got a warning some years ago from the city (first offense) about doing 41 in a 35 zone. I don't recall if there was a school near by or not. This was in chicago, just north of peterson on cicero.

https://goo.gl/maps/1PJ9ddWpWs12

https://goo.gl/maps/LyYTquqoapL2

I tend to avoid driving in chicago proper like the plague. Nothing but revenue generation devices practically on every intersection. Not to mention the 10.25% sales tax rate. Suburbs in the same county share the tax but don't have this other nonsense to deal with.

No, but.....

No, but my sister did and she wasn't even in the car. Her husband said he was caught in the intersection making a turn when the light changed. Don't know any more than that, but I believed him. As for me, I haven't got one because I avoid them whenever possible, which is most of the time.

We'll See!

Up to now, I haven't received a citation since the advent of RLC cameras. Although I don't normally enter an intersection with a "stale" yellow light, I think this is due in part to the RLC database here at POI factory.

This may change though. I was returning from a trip to Vermont yesterday (6/28) and made a stop in Albany, NY. I was alerted to an RLC intersection which I entered just as the light went yellow. The car ahead of me stopped short to avoid a pedestrian, forcing me to stop momentarily. The light went red just as my rear bumper cleared the intersection.

It was too close to tell for sure if I was clear or not so I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks

grin grin

alandb wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

My husband and I were dating when this happened and he paid the ticket for me and we didn't tell my parents until about 50 years later.

I love that story Mary! Thanks for sharing.

We enjoy tellkng it now!

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Thankfully, No.

Never had a ticket, and when I travel in new areas I really appreciate having the POI Factory's RLC file in my Garmin.

Yes

Some cities are really _____ about enforcement. In one city in Washington they will cite you for crossing the white line. Technically you have to stop behind the white line before proceeding (Right turn) and many don't.

1

Many moons ago

--
VW CC w Discover Media, nüvi 3597 n da roadster, 1450, iQue

I could only wish

Frside007 wrote:

you have to stop behind the white line before proceeding (Right turn) and many don't.

Here in Albuquerque the majority of drivers show no indication that they understand the stop line to mean anything at all. Not only do they ignore it on right turns, but they ignore it when stopping for a red light, even when it gives them no advantage whatever to stop well beyond it.

Another more intentional custom is pre-launching. People start forward guessing that the light is about to turn, gaining several milliseconds when they guess right, and pulling down in speed or stopping when they get deeper into the intersection than their personal comfort level. The rare worst cases make it well over a full car length into the intersection proper (more than that past the stop line).

I've never detected any enforcement here on these matters at all. Maybe if we had some people would adjust to safer behavior.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

I have seen the opposite

archae86 wrote:
Frside007 wrote:

you have to stop behind the white line before proceeding (Right turn) and many don't.

Here in Albuquerque the majority of drivers show no indication that they understand the stop line to mean anything at all. Not only do they ignore it on right turns, but they ignore it when stopping for a red light, even when it gives them no advantage whatever to stop well beyond it.

Another more intentional custom is pre-launching. People start forward guessing that the light is about to turn, gaining several milliseconds when they guess right, and pulling down in speed or stopping when they get deeper into the intersection than their personal comfort level. The rare worst cases make it well over a full car length into the intersection proper (more than that past the stop line).

I've never detected any enforcement here on these matters at all. Maybe if we had some people would adjust to safer behavior.

Where someone for whatever reason is 1+ car lengths behind the stop line, in a turn lane, and then the turn arrow never happens. If I am behind I will tap my horn, and usually nothing happens, and we miss another cycle of the light. Then I will lean on the horn, and now there is at least a 50% chance the person will move up...

When I was a kid, I remember playing outfield, and actually being afraid that a ball would be hit to me, and I would drop it. That's the only analogy I can think of, for when people find yellow lights to be confusing, as to what to do. If the speed limit is 55 mph, like on route 1 in NJ, you don't simply slam on the brakes if you see the light turn yellow, you are going to have 5+ sec of yellow. If you are going the speed limit, things will happen smoothly. If you are speeding, or going too slowly, now you are having to make a more complicated decision. Which a licensed drive should be able to correctly make...imho.

Expectations....

johnnatash4 wrote:

Which a licensed drive should be able to correctly make...imho.

You have set your expectations too high smile

Out here some folks come to complete stops at highway merge lanes such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/4cAaAgyAo4v

Then they look for an opening before gunning the car.

haha

zx1100e1 wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

Which a licensed drive should be able to correctly make...imho.

You have set your expectations too high smile

Out here some folks come to complete stops at highway merge lanes such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/4cAaAgyAo4v

Then they look for an opening before gunning the car.

I suppose I am looking at things literally, and you, practically.

Again, maybe my outfield analogy is reality. People hope the light doesn't change as they approach, because they are afraid of what will happen next (have to decide to proceed, or come to a stop). Whereas if a solid red, or a solid green, the decision is obvious.

i read somwhere

that over 95% RLC fines are for a slow rollover right turn on red.

I

Gary Indiana wrote:

that over 95% RLC fines are for a slow rollover right turn on red.

wouldn't think it would be that high? Because imagine all the setups where there is no right turn, or they have a for lack of a better word way of merging the traffic through the turn without reaching the intersection?

But when there is a right on red allowed, one would think it does trigger the camera, and a person needs to review the video and not issue a violation because the person did come to a complete stop...

Just came back from Russia

I really like the traffic lights in Moscow. On green it gives you a numerical countdown in seconds to when it will go red. The same on red where you get a numerical countdown in seconds until you get the green again

No excuse to run a red light!!!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10. DashCam with GPS.

stoplight countdown.

We have that on some pedestrian crossings, but it sure would be nice to have it on red/green traffic lights.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra

Agree

alandb wrote:

We have that on some pedestrian crossings, but it sure would be nice to have it on red/green traffic lights.

I totally agree alanb, we have those where I live. But you'd be surprised how many don't even see the turn prohibitions next to a traffic light, never mind them looking at a pedestrian light!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10. DashCam with GPS.

Philly too ...

alandb wrote:

We have that on some pedestrian crossings, but it sure would be nice to have it on red/green traffic lights.

The RLC intersections in Philly that also have a pedestrian cross signal work pretty much in conjunction with the green light change, pedestrian count down hits 0 and the green turns to yellow. Not knowing the exact number my guess would be 95% of the RLCs in Philly also have a pedestrian counter.

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

Not in AZ

fyou could be laco wrote:

Never run red lights and the only speeding I do is 6 miles over the limit on Interstate Hwys

As a transplant from the Midwest this would be acceptable but in the AZ,Phoenix area it does not work. I have seen while driving 5mph over the speed limit people passing the police like they were standing still. Unless the authorities clamp down the problem will increase.

In some states, there's an

In some states, there's an amber flashing light some distance back when approaching a light indicating that light will be changing soon. Once a change over from red to green occurs, that light stops flashing. It's no countdown but does help prepare one to stopping.

I've seen these in KY and some other areas. Usually on divided highways with 55+ mph limits.

Frankly, I say eliminate all lights and install round abouts!!

look at

this nonsense! 1 km over is $325? lol like 51 in a 50? That's 30.6214 in a 30 mph! Although this seems to be an estimate and I can't verify if true in Toronto. Maybe the website is fake that is showing this schedule?

Photo Radar Fines 1-15 km/h over Fine $325
15-29 km/h over Fine $425
30-49 km/h over Fine $525
50 + km/h over Fine $750

p.s. I don't even see any speed cams in the file here, so maybe it never happened. But let's be realistic, MD gives you 11 mph leeway, imho only .62 mph is way too small and the speedo of a vehicle is likely to be +/1 2 mph...

No PHOTO RADAR in Ontario

johnnatash4 wrote:

this nonsense! 1 km over is $325? lol like 51 in a 50? That's 30.6214 in a 30 mph! Although this seems to be an estimate and I can't verify if true in Toronto. Maybe the website is fake that is showing this schedule?

Photo Radar Fines 1-15 km/h over Fine $325
15-29 km/h over Fine $425
30-49 km/h over Fine $525
50 + km/h over Fine $750

p.s. I don't even see any speed cams in the file here, so maybe it never happened. But let's be realistic, MD gives you 11 mph leeway, imho only .62 mph is way too small and the speedo of a vehicle is likely to be +/1 2 mph...

A speedo being off by +/12 mph ???
VW speedos will read about 5% higher than actual speed, other car makers may be different.

Photo radar (Speed)
Though there is talk about installing this in or near school zones, There is no Photo Radar (Speed) in Ontario so therefore those costs you imply do not exist.
Having said that these fines may be applicable to getting caught by radar operated by a police officer.
Upon entering Ontario from the USA there are LARGE signs on the highway telling you what the fines are at 10 Kph, 20 Kph, 30 Kph over the limit.
Though realistically speaking a speed of 118 Kph (73 Mph) on Interstate type highways is the speed almost everyone drives.
Though I would not pass a marked police car doing that!!!!

Red light camera fines are:

As of January 1, 2010 the set fine for running a red light detected by a camera system was increased to $260, plus a $60 victim surcharge and a $5 court cost. The total payable is now $325. Prior to this increase, the set fine was $155, plus a $35 victim surcharge, for a total payable of $180. Demerit points are not issued with violations detected by the red light camera system.

The set fine for running a red light when caught by a police officer is also $325.00, however, failing to stop for a red light where a police officer issues a ticket results in three demerit points.

I was told or read somewhere in the USA police officers have this saying:
You do under 9 you're fine, over 9 you're mine !

I drive 1,000s of miles in the USA every year but I will stick with average traffic speeds !!!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10. DashCam with GPS.

nobody but us normal folks

Melaqueman wrote:

I drive 1,000s of miles in the USA every year but I will stick with average traffic speeds !!!

The troubling thing is that most of the folks I talk to think they are just moving with the traffic. But appears that for some people that means they must travel fast enough that almost no one passes them (so way above average).

Melaqueman, if you are driving that much here and not getting tickets I think you really are moving with the flow. I've known people who routinely got multiple speeding tickets per year who claimed always just to be moving with traffic, and assumed "everyone" got lots of tickets.

My sole speeding call out by a policeman was decades ago. He was on foot (walked into the road from the single building town hall/police station and flagged me down). He let me go after a stiff lecture.

No I am not always at or below the limit, but many people pass me, and I pass extremely few, so I think I am well below average.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

that

should have read 1 or 2 mph, meaning +/- 1-2, not 12 mph. My BMW when compared to GPS is about 3 over the GPS. GPS is accurate. If one had to be within 1 km per hour, that's pretty unreasonable, because we're talking .62 mph.

p.s. I am in the GTA now and doesn't seem to be any evidence whatsoever that speed cams are here.

Grand Theft Auto?

johnnatash4 wrote:

~snip~

p.s. I am in the GTA now

~snip~

You're in the game GTA? Sounds like fun razz

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

GTA

Greater Toronto area?

--
Striving to make the NYC Metro area project the best.

yep

I have the Garmin Cyclops and POI files, and saw a rlc that both files did not have...website (Toronto) verifies its existence...reported to POI.

Well, we will test the accuracy of the cams here as we entered an intersection on green, it turned red, completed left turn (a car behind me did the same). Again, website states it captures vehicles who entered during the red phase, i.e. after the signal has turned red. No problems in philly with the above, would expect the same here!

Again, I apply logic. It is impossible to produce a video or image of the vehicle behind the stop line, when the light was red, because it didn't happen. We have to have confidence that technology cannot show that something happened, when it did not. Not possible. Even malfunctions are uncovered by humans, but it would be a stretch that a rlc system began doctoring images on its own! And if humans did it, even worse...

I wonder ...

A few days ago I was about the 10th car in line at a RLC controlled intersection in Philly, this intersection is 4 lanes wide in the direction I was heading with one being a left turn lane, I was in the right lane.

Well, while the light was red an ambulance with siren blaring was making its way toward the intersection, the middle two lanes, each with a dozen cars started spreading apart, many by going through the intersection, the RLC flashing away, by the time the ambulance got to the signal had turned green, no more RLC flashing.

In the past I have tried to find out if Philly's cameras also record video, nothing I found suggests they do. If they don't, there would be no evidence of the ambulance pushing them through the red signal, assuming video recording is constant if they did have video.

Common sense, which isn't so common these days, might suggest something was amiss by the positioning of the cars in the photos, but so many people just go through the motions at their job ...

... so I wonder how many of those folks got a RLC ticket in the mail.

.

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

Yes, they record video

soberbyker wrote:

A few days ago I was about the 10th car in line at a RLC controlled intersection in Philly, this intersection is 4 lanes wide in the direction I was heading with one being a left turn lane, I was in the right lane.

Well, while the light was red an ambulance with siren blaring was making its way toward the intersection, the middle two lanes, each with a dozen cars started spreading apart, many by going through the intersection, the RLC flashing away, by the time the ambulance got to the signal had turned green, no more RLC flashing.

In the past I have tried to find out if Philly's cameras also record video, nothing I found suggests they do. If they don't, there would be no evidence of the ambulance pushing them through the red signal, assuming video recording is constant if they did have video.

Common sense, which isn't so common these days, might suggest something was amiss by the positioning of the cars in the photos, but so many people just go through the motions at their job ...

... so I wonder how many of those folks got a RLC ticket in the mail.

.

Yes, they record video of what the still camera shoots that is reviewed by an officer for any extenuating circumstances that would warrant not issuing a RLC ticket when a ticket would normally be issued.

When a RLC ticket is issued there are documents that are included providing at least two still images (one image before the stoplight turns red & one image immediately after the stoplight turns red) along with a link where you can view the images online, which also includes a short video clip of the infraction. If the ticket is for not coming to a complete stop before turning right then of course only the video would apply to the situation.

This article (see link below) from eight years ago about a similar situation in Fort Worth, Texas to the one you cited may be of interest.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/weird/Red-Light-Cam-Ticket-Sent-...

.

--
According to the laws of aerodynamics, bumblebees cannot fly. But the bumblebees, not knowing the laws of aerodynamics, go ahead and fly anyway...

Turning right on RLC

Daughter got a ticket for not stopping and turning right where a RLC was located. I talked with her and she said she absolutely stopped and then proceeded to turn right.

We looked up the video on the web page and it showed her blasting around the corner at about 15 to 20 MPH.

LOL busted!!!

I personally can't stand the RLC tax machines!!

--
Dudlee

but in PA ...

koot wrote:

Yes, they record video of what the still camera shoots

~snip~

.

Are you speaking in general or yes in Philadelphia specifically? Years ago a guy I work with got one in the work truck, in Philly, all I remember is the two photos, yes he was guilty, but no mention of a video.

In your video the red was still red when the ambulance went through, and only one car was pushed through, in the instance I'm referring to the light was green when the ambulance got there, so unless the video camera records 24-7 there was no video of the ambulance, about half of the dozen or so in two lanes ran the red, the rest had green.

.

--
. Nuvi 2689, two Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N, Garmin, built into my Jeep. .

among the people here, I may hold the record for the date

Among the people here, I may hold the record for the date of the ticket.

In Zurich, Switzerland, I got a camera ticket in 1994 - while on vacation. At that time I did not even know that ticket cameras existed.

- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 500

Nope. Thanks to POI factory

More power to us.

--
Val - Nuvi 785t and Streetpilot C340

Yup

Dudlee wrote:

Daughter got a ticket for not stopping and turning right where a RLC was located. I talked with her and she said she absolutely stopped and then proceeded to turn right.
We looked up the video on the web page and it showed her blasting around the corner at about 15 to 20 MPH.
LOL busted!!!
I personally can't stand the RLC tax machines!!

You be surprised how many people do not come to a FULL stop as required by law ! The wheels must come to a FULL stop for about 10 seconds. Serves them right to get ticketed for not stopping !

As for RLC tax machine, if you obey the law and stop you have nothing to fear, do you !!!!!

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, 3790LMT passed on to my daughter. Using Windows 10. DashCam with GPS.

Once...

Once...

Page 1>>