dash cams / practicality

 

Just to draw an analogy, I decided to get a GPS (Garmin nuvi 660) when the price dropped to $300.

At what point should we all be equipped with front and rear cams?

I think they serve a legitimate purpose. Every day on my commute people roll stop signs. With nobody around, it's a he said / she said. With a cam, the person rolling the stop is gonna be busted when there is an accident. The time is going to come imho when people cannot easily lie, because everything is in HD.

On one of my car forums, a person's clutch was burned out when he valet'd his car in NYC. He stated he could smell it. The garage denied it and there is no proof.

So I'm curious, where is that point of entry, similar to when a GPS dropped to $300....I don't think we're there yet. But just imagine how truthful everyone is going to have to be when front/rear cams are as common as gps.....

Page 1>>

Just

Just wanted to point out that with a dash cam you are dealing with a "2 way street". You posted an example of someone rolling a stop sign and now there will be proof of that happening if there is an accident. The one thing that the dash cam is also going to prove in this situation is if it's YOU that may have rolled the stop sign. These things will provide proof of both sides of the story!

I recently purchased a DOD-Tech LS 460W dash cam on sale at Staples in Canada for under $200.00. The device was the sweet spot for me as it provided 1080p color video, wide angle lens, GPS positioning, SD card (small so I replaced it with a larger one), multiple window mount options, still picture mode, etc. and didn't break the bank dollar wise. The unit is quit small and easily attaches to the windshield in a position that isn't distracting to the driver. Perfect for my needs. (see DOD-Tech.com or DOD-Tech.ca for details).

Although it will provide excellent video in case of accidents etc. I'm finding that I use it much like a GoPro camera to record our trips. The quality of the video is no nice that it makes for excellent recording of all the great scenery we travel through across the country.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

WIDE

hopefully the cam has an angle wide enough to demonstrate I am at 0 mph, at a stop.

A car approaches the intersection from the right, does not stop, and continues.

I really ought to film it with my camcorder in 1080p to demonstrate, this is day in, day out, car after car.

Lightbulb: Why doesn't Five-O pick off the folks like monkeys in a barrel?

If I were the one who likes to roll stops, why would I be recording it? I would just do what Five-O does and say somehow black tape was covering the lens at the time of the incident.

My dash cam

johnnatash4 wrote:

hopefully the cam has an angle wide enough to demonstrate I am at 0 mph, at a stop.

My dash cam records the speed constantly on the video so 0MPH would be recorded and visible when replaying your incident. IMO the 1080P wide angle lens on the camera would work well in your situation.

All I'm saying about using the camera to check the bad guys is that you also have to remember that the video recorded will also record what you are doing. So unless your a 100% perfect driver the video you record could be used to prove you caused an incident.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

So I'm curious, where is

So I'm curious, where is that point of entry, similar to when a GPS dropped to $300....I don't think we're there yet. But just imagine how truthful everyone is going to have to be when front/rear cams are as common as gps.....[/quote]

I see it as big plus for safety.Would think it could improve awareness.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I really think that

charlesd45 wrote:

So I'm curious, where is that point of entry, similar to when a GPS dropped to $300....I don't think we're there yet. But just imagine how truthful everyone is going to have to be when front/rear cams are as common as gps.....

I see it as big plus for safety.Would think it could improve awareness.

this feeling of anonymity and being able to lie would be gone imho. Just at lunch, a bicyclist cut me off in my car and yelled at me (he turned left and was going the wrong way, expected me to yield to him I guess, I couldn't hear what he was yelling ac was on). haha Last I checked bikes are treated like motor vehicles, and this guy probably 60 y.o. was riding against traffic. Maybe it's that people are just angry and miserable when the population is dense enough, and this kind of stuff doesn't happen in the sticks. But if a person knew that there was a HD recording of their behavior at all times, maybe they'd change it. If nothing else, it could be posted on YouTube, and people would say I know that jack a**...in the event of an accident, it could be established he turned left and also turned onto the wrong side of the road....

but here's the thing

t923347 wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

hopefully the cam has an angle wide enough to demonstrate I am at 0 mph, at a stop.

My dash cam records the speed constantly on the video so 0MPH would be recorded and visible when replaying your incident. IMO the 1080P wide angle lens on the camera would work well in your situation.

All I'm saying about using the camera to check the bad guys is that you also have to remember that the video recorded will also record what you are doing. So unless your a 100% perfect driver the video you record could be used to prove you caused an incident.

If I caused an accident, wouldn't I say so? That seems to be pretty elementary. It's mind boggling, the immediate denial or lying in our society. Sorry I must be a bad parent, I teach my son to tell the truth.

Dash Cams a Necessity in Russia

Dash cams are almost standard equipment in Russia. They have become necessary to protect against corrupt courts and those who "stage" accidents in order to sue.

http://www.wired.com/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

Hopefully, it won't come to that here in the U.S.

If I Caused An Accident.....

johnnatash4 wrote:

If I caused an accident, wouldn't I say so?

Your Attorney and your insurance company will both tell you to not make any statements to anyone about a crash your involved in.

Depending on what the officer (I'm not saying the officer is bad) records in writting based upon your words, you might find your insurance could become void. The other thing is, as more and more dash / body cams are being introduced to our society, one misspoken word about a crash your involved in could sink your boat more that you'd ever imagine!

johnnatash4 wrote:

That seems to be pretty elementary.

It's not about being "Pretty elementary" at all.

It's about protecting yourself legally and to that end, if your involved in a crash, it's best to keep your mouth closed and make no statements whatsoever.

johnnatash4 wrote:

It's mind boggling, the immediate denial or lying in our society.

Choosing not to say anything isn't denial or lying! It's being SMART!

johnnatash4 wrote:

Sorry I must be a bad parent, I teach my son to tell the truth.

I'll defer to you son for any comments on this topic! razz

Note: I Ain't no freakin' Lawyer nor attorney and I'm not providing any legal advice. Your best to ask your Lawyer or Attorney for proper guidance on what to say and how to behave in a crash.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

what just happened in Baton Rouge

BarneyBadass wrote:
johnnatash4 wrote:

If I caused an accident, wouldn't I say so?

Your Attorney and your insurance company will both tell you to not make any statements to anyone about a crash your involved in.

Depending on what the officer (I'm not saying the officer is bad) records in writting based upon your words, you might find your insurance could become void. The other thing is, as more and more dash / body cams are being introduced to our society, one misspoken word about a crash your involved in could sink your boat more that you'd ever imagine!

johnnatash4 wrote:

That seems to be pretty elementary.

It's not about being "Pretty elementary" at all.

It's about protecting yourself legally and to that end, if your involved in a crash, it's best to keep your mouth closed and make no statements whatsoever.

johnnatash4 wrote:

It's mind boggling, the immediate denial or lying in our society.

Choosing not to say anything isn't denial or lying! It's being SMART!

johnnatash4 wrote:

Sorry I must be a bad parent, I teach my son to tell the truth.

I'll defer to you son for any comments on this topic! razz

Note: I Ain't no freakin' Lawyer nor attorney and I'm not providing any legal advice. Your best to ask your Lawyer or Attorney for proper guidance on what to say and how to behave in a crash.

Two officers' body cams fell off. This is what happens in the real world.

Anyhow, when I was 19, I was served with papers in a lecture hall for $2 mil. I remember my dad asking me if I had 2 mil. I said no. He said you moron, you beat up a guy on the job, they're not suing you, they're suing your employer. I told my dad yeah I beat him up but the **** tried to rob me. Then you have nothing to worry about is what my dad said.

Interestingly, I had my own lawyer for other reasons, and she gave me a lesson in the system. She told me the carrier for your employer is NOT on your side. They are going to act all nice and try to get you to admit wilful conduct, in order to relieve your employer of liability. Do not lie, but answer yes or no, and offer no more.

Well that mother ****** got more than 2 mil., but not from me, thanks to our jury system. But I get the last laugh. I saw him on linkedin and he's nothing more than a two bit lawyer associate, not even a partner. karma!

Anyway, although I don't think I would need it to happen, my dash cam could fall off the dash just like those Baton Rouge cops if necessary. Kidding

Keeping and I on this thread

Keeping and I on this thread

Trip Recorder

I used my dash cam today to record a drive up Pike's Peak. That type of video seems to be what it is used for mostly. Thankfully, it has never needed to be used for an accident.

When my dealer valets my car

When my dealer valets my car for service, I always check the dash cam video. Have not seen anything interesting yet.

The only interesting thing I ever caught was a school bus that decided to run a red light. I sent a clip to the school safety email address. I quickly got profuse thank you’s from two administrators. I expect (and hope) that driver had a really bad day.

What...?

phillyguy19020 wrote:

Keeping and I on this thread

confused question

Nuvi1300WTGPS

--
I'm not really lost.... just temporarily misplaced!

Maybe

Nuvi1300WTGPS wrote:
phillyguy19020 wrote:

Keeping and I on this thread

What...?

confused question

Nuvi1300WTGPS

Maybe and I = "an eye."

I know at a friend's co.

the road is recorded 100% of the time. The driver is recorded when he commits a violation, like taking a curve too fast, talking on a cell phone without hands free, picking his nose, etc.

The funny thing is most humans would not like to be recorded like that. But when you drive for a living, it's to be expected. I think the time will come when front/rear cams is on everyone's vehicle. Just like we no longer care about speed and red light cams, maybe in our kids generation, they will not care about dash cams. there will be an expectation that 100% of activities are recorded, and behavior will adjust.

It's amazing that in 2016, many are very confident with lying...that will change.

 

johnnatash4 wrote:

It's amazing that in 2016, many are very confident with lying...that will change.

When lying is rewarded to the folks in highest levels of government, it is only likely that the practice will increase throughout society.

I am looking for a reasonable priced dash cam with a good record AND a capacitor instead of a battery due to the high temperatures in the summer sun.

Dam cam data is next

Guy #1 ran into me, forced me to veer into another car (#2). No (apparent) injuries. #1 was cited for it all. I got a letter from #2's lawyer warning me not to delete my cell records as they may subpoena them to find out if I was on my phone and not paying proper attention to avoid the accident.

I think it logical that if you have a dash cam, the other guy's lawyer could readily subpoena it's contents as well, to get something to hit you with.

--
NUVI 350

Wipe it

MikeSid wrote:

I think it logical that if you have a dash cam, the other guy's lawyer could readily subpoena it's contents as well, to get something to hit you with.

I've never seen a dash cam where the video can't be wiped. Just delete it and write over it several times; or throw away the card the data is being written on.

If your vehicle is newer, the speed and a whole lot of other data is already being recorded in your on-board computer. Just add video.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Buckets Of Water And Swimming Pools do Wonders

MikeSid wrote:

I got a letter from #2's lawyer warning me not to delete my cell records as they may subpoena them to find out if I was on my phone and not paying proper attention to avoid the accident.

Aww we... Gezzz... I'm sorry, I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and I bent over to pick up a bucket of water. The phone slipped out of my pocket and fell into the bucket of water.

MikeSid wrote:

I think it logical that if you have a dash cam, the other guy's lawyer could readily subpoena it's contents as well, to get something to hit you with.

That's obvious now isn't it?

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Well, maybe...

retiredtechnician wrote:

I've never seen a dash cam where the video can't be wiped. Just delete it and write over it several times; or throw away the card the data is being written on.

Judges tend to look unfavorably upon people who destroy evidence in a court case...

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

Didn't

Moose135 wrote:

Judges tend to look unfavorably upon people who destroy evidence in a court case...

Evidence to what? I didn't have anything recorded.

Didn't destroy any evidence. If you look into how most Dash Cams work, you'll find that they use 'wrap', which writes over previous videos. Don't have to destroy anything.

And, unless you tell them, your camera wasn't on at the time.

If a person is stupid enough to say "Hey Mr Policeman; ya, I ran that red light ... I got it on video, you want to see it", he deserves what he gets.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

With cameras you just have to remember one thing...

A camera is a useful tool. Useful to who depends on several factors. Cameras only know one thing, to see what happened and with a dvr, to record everything seen (and possibly heard) by the camera. It can prove you did or did not do something and there is the rub. It can prove you're guilty of something or not guilty. If you were involved in an accident the police could take the video into evidence and possibly use it against you.

We Need an Official Legal Opinion

Frside007 wrote:

If you were involved in an accident the police could take the video into evidence and possibly use it against you.

I'm not sure your "legal Opinion" is correct ... we need an attorney to jump in here. Several 'Legal' websites indicate a Subpoena or Search Warrant would be required.

In any event, use a small capacity card; then either pull the card or let the camera continue running to record over the video ... nothing to subpoena. If you want the video saved, stop the camera.

Cameras can be hidden so no one knows you're recording. So many ways around it.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

RT is correct

retiredtechnician wrote:
Frside007 wrote:

If you were involved in an accident the police could take the video into evidence and possibly use it against you.

I'm not sure your "legal Opinion" is correct ... we need an attorney to jump in here. Several 'Legal' websites indicate a Subpoena or Search Warrant would be required.

RT

The police can't remove any thing from your vehicle without either impounding the whole vehicle as evidence or without an order. Police have been getting slapped for looking at cell phone records without having a court order so you can refuse to hand your phone over. They also are barred from looking at your call history if you are arrested and the phone is turned over as part of your personal effects without an order.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

paperweights

Box Car wrote:

The police can't remove any thing from your vehicle without either impounding the whole vehicle as evidence or without an order. Police have been getting slapped for looking at cell phone records without having a court order so you can refuse to hand your phone over. They also are barred from looking at your call history if you are arrested and the phone is turned over as part of your personal effects without an order.

That's why my phone and it's 128 GB storage card is completely encrypted.

Even if someone trys to unlock it after n failed attempts the whole (or is it hole?) thing becomes a not very good paperweight.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

If you're involved in an injury accident..

police in many cases can get a warrant over the phone or just impound the car and place a hold on it. Cell phones and a video camera in a vehicle to me are two completely different things. If you want Perry Mason to jump in that's fine. I'm not an attorney or police officer but just ask one about tampering with evidence or destroying evidence. The video COULD be considered evidence which may help or hurt you.
My only point is, many look at the camera to help them and in most cases it would but if you're in the wrong it COULD (not will) be used against you.

Dash Cam's 'Wrap' writes over previous videos by design

My Signature "Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half." has never held more true than this thread right here.

Way too many wanna-be attorneys! Like I said before, we need a 'REAL' Attorney to jump in here.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

I've been avoiding valet

I've been avoiding valet parking due to the fear of them damaging my vehicle. If I has dash cams, I would definitely be more open.

I think I'll really consider getting one this week.

Well RT, here's an attorneys view...

"Your dash cam may be demanded by any law enforcement agency under what are known as “exigent circumstances”. Under these same circumstances an officer can seize your recording equipment, but only if they declare that they suspect it contains potential evidence and suspect it could be lost, destroyed or tampered with if left in your possession. They will still need a subpoena or search warrant to view the footage after seizure (although how anyone would stop them surreptitiously doing so remains an unanswered question.")

Why is it when someone states an opinion they believe is true you make a derogatory remark about them, calling people wanna be attorneys. Just curious. I apologize if you meant "wanna be attorney" as a compliment...lol

The entire article can be read here:
http://www.donaghuelabrum.com/2014/09/03/dash-cams-everythin...

Frside007, left out the important parts

Since you said about yourself "I'm not an attorney or police officer ", I suspect you're referring to the article as being published by an attorney. In that case, lets quote some important parts of the article:

"So unless the police believe your camera has recorded a crime, they cannot legally force you to hand over your dash cam or it’s recorded footage." Several websites state this; but their examples of 'crimes' are 'Drugs', 'Beatings', 'Attempted murder', and 'Murder'. We still need an attorney's opinion: Is being 'at fault in an accident' considered a crime? I have my doubts. (If you're driving drunk, you should be in jail.)

and

"In terms of officials viewing your footage, at any time a law enforcement officer can request that you show them the recording on your dash cam. They cannot force you to do this though, it is entirely your choice.

In order to make you show them the footage, or allow them to take a copy of it, or view it themselves after seizure, any law enforcement agency will require legal consent through a subpoena or search warrant."

I challenge these 'legal opinions' because way too many people consider what they read on forums as 'gospel', when, in fact, it seldom is. Giving legal advice should be left to those trained in that field.

The fact remains that most dash cams 'record over the previous videos by design', which can delete any unwanted videos.

RT

Frside007 wrote:

"
The entire article can be read here:
http://www.donaghuelabrum.com/2014/09/03/dash-cams-everything-you-need-to-know/

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Factory installed

Sooner or later they will be factory installed options, especially with autonomous cars on the horizon.

Hmmmmm....

You go on believing what you want. Nobody on here gave legal advise. It was their opinion just like you're giving your opinion. Please everyone,this is not the gospel or a legal opinion,just my personal opinion. The reality can be that even excessive speeding can be considered reckless or negligent driving and these are crimes at least in my home state.
Again, my original point was to consider that the video "COULD" be used against you.
Each video system can have a completely different video recording system which may be effected by how it is powered in the car and how big the memory is. Depending on the setup it could or could not over-write the video for hours. So yes, most systems do overwright but the question is,when?
I suggest you re-read the article. I believe it stated they could take the video if they had reason to believe the video
might disappear but would need a warrant to view it. Once in their hands it would be hard to prove they don't look at it with or without the warrant.

Maybe we should all chip in and retain an attorney so you feel you're receiving sound legal advise and stop giving opinions on anything since someone might take it as the gospel.

It's sad you have no problem giving your opinion but everyone else shouldn't.

You apparently didn't read what was written

Do you understand what 'we need an attorney's opinion' means? That's says we need the facts, it is not giving a non-professional interpretation of the law. (like .....)

Your quote is out of context; put it in with the rest of the article and it refers to when a crime is committed. Again, we need an attorney's opinion (not yours) on what would constitute a "crime" which would justify a search warrant relating to a dash cam in a traffic accident. I don't know what the correct answer is, but I'm sure not going to base any decision on yours

Did you read the part about putting a card with a small enough capacity in the dash cam so the 'wrap' will overwrite the unwanted video? Sounds like you conveniently missed it!

Why are you so snotty about getting an attorney's legal opinion? There must be a good reason!

If I have an attorney's interpretation of the law which differs from someone posting on a forum, guess who I'm going to believe. Again, as Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

but then again

retiredtechnician wrote:

Do you understand what 'we need an attorney's opinion' means?

And with that, we would need 50+ attorneys council since it's likely the laws, while similar might have just enough differences to cause all kinds of grief.

Not to mention what laws might be enforced while driving on roads under the control of sovern Indian communities.

Generally, common sense should be, under most cases, a reasonable choice to follow.

While I've seen it done, I don't subscribe to the notion one should drive 70 MPH in a 70 MPH posted road when its covered with several inches of snow and ice.

Now where did I put my dash cam?

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

battery

I have a dash cam in my car. I installed it after neighbors started vandalizing my car. Unfortunately I was never able to catch them in the act since it was unable to record at night. Now it is pretty much useless, the battery has died and is not replaceable. I will replace it with a version that uses a capacitor to power the camera.

I still think

jfulton wrote:

I have a dash cam in my car. I installed it after neighbors started vandalizing my car. Unfortunately I was never able to catch them in the act since it was unable to record at night. Now it is pretty much useless, the battery has died and is not replaceable. I will replace it with a version that uses a capacitor to power the camera.

That overall they are needed. I don't understand this notion that it will hurt you. Again, it is my expectation, that when I walk into a mall, or credit union (I never do but I could), or anywhere for that matter, there is a video record of my actions, in 1080p. Trucks on the road are recording the road 24/7. Thus far, nobody has caught me doing anything, nor would I expect them to. I pick my nose only at home in a dark closet (actually they showed me the dash cam for the big rigs and replayed the files, and drivers do occasionally pick their noses on camera, and this is funny today).

Yesterday, on my commute home, I decided to drive through that neighborhood that was bombed by the city in 1985 killing 11 I think? and burning down 65 homes. And I thought, cops actually work here. One was shot in January. Based on the cost of the cams, it would be in everyone's interest to have one.

Some day I think all cars with be equipped with them

I have front dash cams in all of my cars and have recorded the last 3 deer hits.

Here is a link to the one from last week.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56489585/elantra%20deer....

@ fkent484

Thanks for sharing the video with us, that's what worries me the most when driving between sunset & sunrise through certain areas.

A few years ago I hit a deer in the state of New York, it happens so quickly that it's pratically impossible in avoiding.

On a positive note, thank goodness it wasn't a moose.

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Erasing

retiredtechnician wrote:
MikeSid wrote:

I think it logical that if you have a dash cam, the other guy's lawyer could readily subpoena it's contents as well, to get something to hit you with.

I've never seen a dash cam where the video can't be wiped. Just delete it and write over it several times; or throw away the card the data is being written on.

If your vehicle is newer, the speed and a whole lot of other data is already being recorded in your on-board computer. Just add video.

RT

From recent news reports, you can erase and wipe lots of things under subpoena and not get in trouble.

Choosing a dash cam is not easy

I am looking for information about dash cameras in the mid price range. I had a small tap on my car and that was enough for me to be looking for one. I appreciate all your input in order to make a right choice.
Thank you.

I Have Had...

I have had 2 accidents where I was clearly not at fault.

One was when a young man cheated when coming out of another driveway to the right of me while I was in an adjacent driveway of a service station. I was turning right, he was turning left. It was a 4 lane street with no median. I started to enter the street after stopping (very busy stretch) and looking both ways. It was clear on the left so I started on to the highway. The guy to my right saw the lanes clear so he started to enter the highway also. The problem here was that he was going west in the eastbound lane - the one closest to the shoulder and the one I was turning into. The westbound lanes were full, so he did a "shortcut". He never crossed over the double solid yellow lines in the middle. Fortunately, he only clipped my car. Guess what! - That was not his story when the police arrived. He claimed that he made the turn from the westbound lane - LIAR, LIAR, pants on fire!!! Since I was not on the right-of-way when he hit me, the officer could not write any tickets. He could only take a report. Insurance companies came back with "Double Negligence" and my insurance went up.

Second incident was in a parking lot and as I was "SLOWLY" backing out of a spot, and older man hit my Colorado so hard, it was pushed sideways over 3 feet (I have pictures of the skid marks). He was one of those folks that drive using both feet at one time, in other words - left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. He claimed that I just suddenly backed out and he couldn't avoid me. Well there was plenty of room to go around and why was his Cadillac's engine revving so high just after impact? Same as above - he LIED, LIED, LIED!!!

At any rate, if I don't get a dash cam for Christmas, I'll be ordering one December 26th.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Dash cam wouldn't help you.

You would have to have it on the back of your vehicle in order to capture the guy when you backed up. So you need to place one on all 4 sides of the vehicle.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

sounds like we really need

4 dash cams, one poining out each direction... just for CYA

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!

Back cam would have NOT been needed

pwohlrab wrote:

You would have to have it on the back of your vehicle in order to capture the guy when you backed up. So you need to place one on all 4 sides of the vehicle.

His whole story was predicated on me backing out VERY QUICKLY.

I had a truck cap on the Canyon and I always backed up VERY SLOWLY because of the limited visibility to the rear sides. A front cam would have shown the the rate I was backing up at and a more expensive cam would have recorded my speed (Less than 1 MPH).

But a rear cam is a must. Accidents do happen to the rear of the vehicle too, as in my second incident.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

I use a camera on my

I use a camera on my motorcycle helmet but have it set to video tagging mode so basically it loop records and if something happens or I want to record I hit the button and it goes back 5 minutes and then continues recording for another 5. Thinking of getting one for my car as well now.

Dash cams? I got this!

I have what I think is the PERFECT dash cam. If you have even the most BASIC android tablet, if you get:

OBD2 - Bluetooth interface
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9S71LW?vs=1

Torque App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torq...

The OBD2 interface talks to your cars computer, and sends EVERYTHING it knows over to your tablet over BLUETOOTH. Then the app called TORQUE, translates all the readings into understandable English!

TORQUE's TRACK RECORDER will record your driving experience, except that directly on the screen you can have your SPEED, ENGINE TEMPERATURE, MILES PER GALLON (ANYTHING) easily displayed and recorded along with the video.

On two occasions this thing has saved my car from over heating BEFORE the car's dashboard showed ANY problems.

???

Nightcrawler wrote:

I have what I think is the PERFECT dash cam. If you have even the most BASIC android tablet, if you get:

OBD2 - Bluetooth interface
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9S71LW?vs=1

Torque App
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torq...

The OBD2 interface talks to your cars computer, and sends EVERYTHING it knows over to your tablet over BLUETOOTH. Then the app called TORQUE, translates all the readings into understandable English!

Perhaps I am dense, but this post seems to me to be an Apples versus Oranges post when compared with the previous posts. I agree that it looks like an interesting tool with which to see what is happening with your vehicle's mechanicals, but I thought that the other posts were dealing with looking outside your vehicle and potentially recording accidents or preventing them.

-Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620

The Drawbacks of Technology

It is interesting as to how this thread started out addressing the value of a dash cam to support a driver in the event of an accident, and quickly evolved into a discussion of how to avoid the same video evidence being used against the driver with the camera wink

phone activity

MikeSid wrote:

Guy #1 ran into me, forced me to veer into another car (#2). No (apparent) injuries. #1 was cited for it all. I got a letter from #2's lawyer warning me not to delete my cell records as they may subpoena them to find out if I was on my phone and not paying proper attention to avoid the accident.

I think it logical that if you have a dash cam, the other guy's lawyer could readily subpoena it's contents as well, to get something to hit you with.

For your information: your cellphone activity (sending/receiving/position) is logged by service provider. So you can delete whatever you want from your phone. If they will need record of your phone activity they will subpoena service provider not your phone. They will go for phone only when looking for illegal content you can have recorded on phone.

That's what encryption is for

grzesja wrote:

For your information: your cellphone activity (sending/receiving/position) is logged by service provider. So you can delete whatever you want from your phone. If they will need record of your phone activity they will subpoena service provider not your phone. They will go for phone only when looking for illegal content you can have recorded on phone.

So true and that's why its important to encrypt your phone's memory and any associated SD card associated with it.

--
Never argue with a pig. It makes you look foolish and it anoys the hell out of the pig!
Page 1>>