64 bit Chrome

 

This may be old news for some members.Just ran across this on the web. I was running the 32 bit Chrome until seeing this. http://www.ghacks.net/2014/08/27/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-c... or http://www.7tutorials.com/how-download-install-64-bit-versio... .

It will replace the 32 bit if you don't want to remove it first. Make sure before installing the 64 over it .Chrome is not running or the install will fail.That is what happen in my first try.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks Charlie

It would be nice if you can post in + - a month and give us your thoughts/impressions concerning this upgrade.

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Will do.

canuk wrote:

It would be nice if you can post in + - a month and give us your thoughts/impressions concerning this upgrade.

No problem.Will report back after trying it out for a while.

The security part was what got me to try it. Nice article here http://www.7tutorials.com/google-chrome-64-bit-it-better-32-...

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

If you run a Mac

It looks like it will become available in November as a normal update.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130934-google-chrome-64-bit-...

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Pale Moon

charlesd45 wrote:

This may be old news for some members.Just ran across this on the web. I was running the 32 bit Chrome until seeing this. http://www.ghacks.net/2014/08/27/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-c... or http://www.7tutorials.com/how-download-install-64-bit-versio... .

It will replace the 32 bit if you don't want to remove it first. Make sure before installing the 64 over it .Chrome is not running or the install will fail.That is what happen in my first try.

I'd encourage all to give Pale Moon (http://www.palemoon.org/) a try. This 64-bit browser and builds on Firefox (looks and feels like Firefox) - I've been very happy with it. Have heard many problems with Chrome - especially if you want to go to something different, it often changes setting making switching difficult.

--
Garmin Drive Smart 61 NA LMT-S

Other than the occasional

Other than the occasional page crash on Chrome, I've had no issues with the browser. As I run the developer channel version of Chrome however, such issues are not unexpected. The dev channel has been on 64-bit for at least six months now, so even 64-bit is old news to me. wink

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

+1

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

Other than the occasional page crash on Chrome, I've had no issues with the browser. ...

Other than the occasional web page that won't work with Chrome, I've had zero issues with it. Those are rare ...

--
Nuvi 2460

Thanks for the info,.....

very helpful.

--
RKF (Bethesda, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

question with Chrome browser

I usually launch POI Factory with Safari but when I use Chrome browser, it is infested with adds..... why is it? I will try to check my security setting between the two browsers.

Ads

Sanger wrote:

I usually launch POI Factory with Safari but when I use Chrome browser, it is infested with adds..... why is it? I will try to check my security setting between the two browsers.

Are the ads from the POI Factory site? The only time I see ads here is when I'm not logged into my account.

Although I generally use Internet Explorer, I have used Chrome (64) to visit the site and I see no ads as long as I'm logged in as a user.

chrome

Yes I am logged in... maybe I have some cookies that I need to remove. Going to do a CCleaner scan....

Not me

Sanger wrote:

I usually launch POI Factory with Safari but when I use Chrome browser, it is infested with adds..... why is it? I will try to check my security setting between the two browsers.

I have yet to see ads on this site.

I'd be interested in a descriptions of exactly where they appear. Are they pop-up? Or, do the occupy some specific place and, if so, where?

No ads for me

And I have no problems with Chrome.

I do not see ads. I am on Chrome but don't know which one. When I go to About Chrome I get Version 38.0.2125.104 m

How do I know if I have the 64?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

64

mgarledge wrote:

When I go to About Chrome I get Version 38.0.2125.104 m

How do I know if I have the 64?

With 64, you'll see:

Version 38.0.2125.104 m (64-bit)

Ads

jgermann wrote:

I'd be interested in a descriptions of exactly where they appear. Are they pop-up? Or, do the occupy some specific place and, if so, where?

If I visit the site not logged in, I see ads in Forum threads. They're at the bottom of the page called "Sponsored Links" and are below the "Login or register to post comments," the last post, and the page number for the thread. Depending on browser's security setting*, the area under Sponsored Links will either be empty or show an ad. They are not a pop-up, they're integral to the forum thread page.

[Update]
* With Internet Explorer, the Sponsored Links is blank if the browser's Tracking Protection is turned on, and ads appear if Tracking Protection is turned off. Ads' appearances are not linked to Pop-up Settings or ActiveX Filtering.

Incidentally, "tracking" really knows us. When I checked to see an ad under Sponsored Links right now, it's from Discount Tire, a business that I've mentioned online earlier today shock

I think I remember a discussion here more than a couple of years ago where Miss POI or JM or someone mentioned that the site is supported more by these ads than it is from new members paying for redlight/speed camera POI access.

Ads...

Wow. I had no idea there were ads on this site. I'm not a Chrome user. Been using Firefox for many years now.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

Tell me more about your experience with PaleMoon

Garmin Gal wrote:

I'd encourage all to give Pale Moon (http://www.palemoon.org/) a try. This 64-bit browser and builds on Firefox (looks and feels like Firefox) - I've been very happy with it. Have heard many problems with Chrome - especially if you want to go to something different, it often changes setting making switching difficult.

I looked at the link. It says it's another open source browser, "forked" from Firefox but rebuilt, and works with most Firefox extensions. It implies PaleMoon's a little faster than Firefox. Has this been your experience? Were there other reasons you wanted something new? Firefox has been the best for me at controlling ads and cookies.

--
JMoo On

fixed

Sanger wrote:

Yes I am logged in... maybe I have some cookies that I need to remove. Going to do a CCleaner scan....

I had to go to google chrome settings / extensions. I found a non google extension that was causing it to put adds on my chrome browser. It has been deleted now and I don't see adds.

I hope this helps anyone that sees adds.

Thanks

CraigW wrote:

...

I think I remember a discussion here more than a couple of years ago where Miss POI or JM or someone mentioned that the site is supported more by these ads than it is from new members paying for redlight/speed camera POI access.

Craig - I too seemed to remember those comments but was unable to tease out that thread.

You might try ...

AdBlock plugin. I use it for Safari and also Chrome. It works great. I don't get any ads on this or any other sites.

Sanger wrote:

I usually launch POI Factory with Safari but when I use Chrome browser, it is infested with adds..... why is it? I will try to check my security setting between the two browsers.

I tried too

jgermann wrote:
CraigW wrote:

...

I think I remember a discussion here more than a couple of years ago where Miss POI or JM or someone mentioned that the site is supported more by these ads than it is from new members paying for redlight/speed camera POI access.

Craig - I too seemed to remember those comments but was unable to tease out that thread.

I also tried searching for it but couldn't find it. But if we both think it, then it must be true razz

On the other hand, it appears that Sanger's issue wasn't the POI Factory ads but came from what I'd call a rogue Chrome browser extension that was adding ads.

Adblock

oldpal wrote:

AdBlock plugin. I use it for Safari and also Chrome. It works great. I don't get any ads on this or any other sites.

Sanger wrote:

I usually launch POI Factory with Safari but when I use Chrome browser, it is infested with adds..... why is it? I will try to check my security setting between the two browsers.

Will second that. Adblock works well https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiob...

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Third. But I also pair it

Third. But I also pair it with the Element Hiding Helper extension, which makes creating new adblock rules easy as a pair of mouse clicks.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Thanks for the useful

Thanks for the useful information. Good reading.

Thanks Craig

CraigW wrote:
mgarledge wrote:

When I go to About Chrome I get Version 38.0.2125.104 m

How do I know if I have the 64?

With 64, you'll see:

Version 38.0.2125.104 m (64-bit)

No (64-bit) after my information. Thanks

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)