Which Models

 

I just got off the phone with Garmin and their tech support is a joke. I was trying to find out which model series or even a list of individual models Gives you the name of the street or road that you are approaching when you aren't navigating. I told him my older Street Pilots did it and the next GPS I buy I would like to have that feature back. The guy tells me that there aren't any models that do that. I told him that some of the guys on the poi-factory mentioned a few different newer models that they owned did that and he said you guys are all wrong. I sure would like to talk to one of their software engineers about that feature.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

It's possible both are correct ...

i.e. there might be a newer model that had that feature when it was released, but doesn't with the latest firmware.

But firmware doesn't usually disable features, though.

NUVI 2597

The 2597 has next street up on the top bar when not following a route. I have the latest update.

Mine does now...

When I got my Garmin right out of the box, it did not do it.. But when I upgraded the firmware, it did start showing on top when not on a route. Hope this helps!

--
Bobkz - Garmin Nuvi 3597LMTHD/2455LMT/C530/C580- "Pain Is Fear Leaving The Body - Semper Fidelis"

3590

Displays the upcoming street when not navigating

Nuvi 2797

My 2797 does this, firmware 3.80.

50LM Does

My 50LM shows the upcoming roads when not nav.

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

2555 Shows upcoming streets at top.

As other are saying, my 2555 with updates shows upcoming street, roads.

3790LMT

Displays the upcoming street when not navigating.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

thanks

Thanks guys, I can't believe the tech support people don't know that. We need someone from Garmin that knows what's going on to monitor this board and be able to get us answers when the so called tech support people don't know what they're talking about. Anyone have any connections at Garmin?

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

.

2757 shows them

--
nuvi 2757LM-65LM-65LM

2555LMT

My 2555LMT displays next street, if it isn't following a route.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

from Garmin

The following is a list I received from Garmin answering my question and anyone else that had the same question.

Why does my device show me the street I am driving on instead of cross streets?

With the latest version of software, your device may have changed the way the roads are shown on the map when you are not in a route.

If you are on a secondary road, the green information bar will only show the road you are traveling on. See picture below:

If you are on a highway, the device will show upcoming exit numbers if available. If the exit numbers are not available, it will display street names. See picture below:

Below is a list of devices that will show the cross streets instead of the street you are driving on, in the green information bar:

nuvi 30, 40, & 50 series
nuvi 2200 series
nuvi 2300 series
nuvi 2400 series
nuvi 2405 series
nuvi 2505 series
nuvi 3400 series
nuvi 3500 series
nuvi 3700 series
zumo series

The following devices will show the cross street at the top of the map screen, and the current street at the bottom:

nuvi 2407 series
nuvi 2408 series
nuvi 2507 series
nuvi 2508 series
nuvi 2707 series
nuvi 2708 series
nuvi 3507 series
nuvi 3508 series
RV 760

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Dezl 760 Displays Upcoming Roads

Don B wrote:

I just got off the phone with Garmin and their tech support is a joke. I was trying to find out which model series or even a list of individual models Gives you the name of the street or road that you are approaching when you aren't navigating. I told him my older Street Pilots did it and the next GPS I buy I would like to have that feature back. The guy tells me that there aren't any models that do that. I told him that some of the guys on the poi-factory mentioned a few different newer models that they owned did that and he said you guys are all wrong. I sure would like to talk to one of their software engineers about that feature.

When you say "gives", I assume you mean displays, not speaks the upcoming road. Is it possible the Garmin tech was confused about this?

In any case, the Dezl760 is among the units that displays the upcoming street name at the top of the screen when not navigating.

2460LMT does

One of the reasons I bought the 2460 was for that feature.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

it's possible

bdhsfz6 wrote:
Don B wrote:

I just got off the phone with Garmin and their tech support is a joke. I was trying to find out which model series or even a list of individual models Gives you the name of the street or road that you are approaching when you aren't navigating. I told him my older Street Pilots did it and the next GPS I buy I would like to have that feature back. The guy tells me that there aren't any models that do that. I told him that some of the guys on the poi-factory mentioned a few different newer models that they owned did that and he said you guys are all wrong. I sure would like to talk to one of their software engineers about that feature.

When you say "gives", I assume you mean displays, not speaks the upcoming road. Is it possible the Garmin tech was confused about this?

In any case, the Dezl760 is among the units that displays the upcoming street name at the top of the screen when not navigating.

It's possible the tech was confused about everything in general, but I did explain that my older units displayed the upcoming cross street in the bar at the top of the screen. I also told him that several of the guys on the poi forum gave me individual model numbers that did it but I wanted to get which complete series did it if possible. That is when he said that you guys were wrong, that none of the newer models did that.

How I got the list that I posted, I called the Garmin store in Chicago and told them about my experience with tech support and she said that she had some contacts at Garmin and would have someone get in touch with me. The following day I received a call from a lady at Garmin who emailed me the list. She also said the tech support people should have known about and had access to the same list.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Good Information

Don B wrote:

How I got the list that I posted, I called the Garmin store in Chicago and told them about my experience with tech support and she said that she had some contacts at Garmin and would have someone get in touch with me. The following day I received a call from a lady at Garmin who emailed me the list. She also said the tech support people should have known about and had access to the same list.

Thanks for posting the list, it will be beneficial to those wanting this feature when looking to upgrade their Nuvi's.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

2300 does NOT.

My 2300 using the latest firmware shows what the street you are driving on.

Most of the time

on my Nuvi 50LM I get the next cross street displayed in the top banner while traveling with no route. But occasionally for an unknown reason "Traveling on Such&Such Street" is displayed for a time. Then a short while later the next cross street returns in the top banner.

Now on a route, I think I always get the next turn street displayed.

Michael

--
:260W, 50LM

Great Feature

My 60CSx does this, and my Montana does not. I was very disappointed when I found out the Montana does not do this. It is a very simple but useful feature.

--
GPSMAP64s, iPhone XR w/Garmin North America, Yaesu VX-8R w/GPS.

Thanks!

Don B wrote:
bdhsfz6 wrote:
Don B wrote:

I just got off the phone with Garmin and their tech support is a joke. I was trying to find out which model series or even a list of individual models Gives you the name of the street or road that you are approaching when you aren't navigating. I told him my older Street Pilots did it and the next GPS I buy I would like to have that feature back. The guy tells me that there aren't any models that do that. I told him that some of the guys on the poi-factory mentioned a few different newer models that they owned did that and he said you guys are all wrong. I sure would like to talk to one of their software engineers about that feature.

When you say "gives", I assume you mean displays, not speaks the upcoming road. Is it possible the Garmin tech was confused about this?

In any case, the Dezl760 is among the units that displays the upcoming street name at the top of the screen when not navigating.

It's possible the tech was confused about everything in general, but I did explain that my older units displayed the upcoming cross street in the bar at the top of the screen. I also told him that several of the guys on the poi forum gave me individual model numbers that did it but I wanted to get which complete series did it if possible. That is when he said that you guys were wrong, that none of the newer models did that.

How I got the list that I posted, I called the Garmin store in Chicago and told them about my experience with tech support and she said that she had some contacts at Garmin and would have someone get in touch with me. The following day I received a call from a lady at Garmin who emailed me the list. She also said the tech support people should have known about and had access to the same list.

You went to a lot of trouble to get this list. Thanks for posting it for the rest of us!

strange

Panache wrote:

My 2300 using the latest firmware shows what the street you are driving on.

According to the list yours should show the upcoming cross street. I hope the list is reliable.

--
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

My 3790LMT does this.

My 3790LMT does this.

Availability?

I don't see these units for sale.

Quote:

nuvi 2407 series
nuvi 2408 series
nuvi 2507 series
nuvi 2508 series
nuvi 2707 series
nuvi 2708 series
nuvi 3507 series
nuvi 3508 series

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Euro Models

spokybob wrote:

I don't see these units for sale.

Quote:

nuvi 2407 series
nuvi 2408 series
nuvi 2507 series
nuvi 2508 series
nuvi 2707 series
nuvi 2708 series
nuvi 3507 series
nuvi 3508 series

I believe those models are all European so you won't see them sold in the states.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

I have the nuvi 2460 and it

I have the nuvi 2460 and it has this feature. However, I think there is a setting that needs to be set to utilize this feature.