How do you check map version on Nuvi 2460?

 

I use Garmin Lifetime map updater with my Nuvi2460LMT.

I installed 2013.20 but my unit shows 2012.30 I checked the version by selecting Tools-Settings-mymaps. It tells my map is 2012.30 ALL. That means when I updated to 2012.40 it didn't update also.

How can I verify the maps are using the current version? Or did I do something wrong? I didn't receive any errors when I did the updates.

Steve

If

If you were attempting to 2013.20 and myMaps on the nuvi reads anything but 2013.20, the update didn't work.

Attach your Nuvi to the computer and go to your myGarmin.com account and login. Then select the myMaps tap on the webpage and download the 2013.20 again. This should update the Nuvi properly.

In future, don't use the Lifetime Updater which is a disaster.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

Update

Just my thoughts, if you have updated twice and it is still showing a 2012.30 then you are not doing it right.

At the beginning of the down load there are options to download to the device, computer only or download to both. This is not a readily visible option and you must go slow so you do not miss that.

I forget what the button is called, but it is at the bottom left.

--
Nuvi 350 long gone, Nuvi 855LMT, Nuvi 2797LMT, DriveSmart 50 LMT-HD, 3790LMT now my daughters. Using Windows 10. DashCam A108C with GPS.

download options

I realize the options. I downloaded to the computer only. It verifies the file. Then I select to install to device.

When I first got the gps I did a update to 2012.30 and it worked fine. It looks like the updates after that are not working.

2460LMT update

I just updated my 2460LMT a couple of days ago. I skipped updating the update prior to 2013.20 and when I used the Lifetime updater it updated to the next version that was issued, not the latest 2013.20. I updated it again and then it showed the latest update. I updated to "device only" and it took about 30 minutes to do each update.

Install to device

GeoScouter wrote:

I realize the options. I downloaded to the computer only. It verifies the file. Then I select to install to device.

When I first got the gps I did a update to 2012.30 and it worked fine. It looks like the updates after that are not working.

First, since your update was to computer only, does Basecamp or Mapsource show 2013.20 installed to your computer? It should if it succeeded.

Second, what do you mean by "Then I select install to device"? Are you using MapInstall or some other program on your computer to install the new map to your 2460--or are you still connected to the internet through myGarmin when you do this? If so, even if you succeed, you'll be missing the Junction View file and maybe some other stuff if you use MapInstall to transfer the map to your nuvi.

I agree with the earlier post NOT to use Lifetime Updater. Even so, if you want to install the 2013.20 map to your computer and device, have the device connected when you do the update from myGarmin/myDashboard, and be sure to select Install to computer and device. I'm not sure why you're first selecting Install to Computer Only.

Since you don't have 2013.20 on your device, I suggest you repeat the installation from myGarmin, making sure that you've chosen your device as the destination--as first suggested by t92...

Note that a successful installation to a nuvi will include a 30-90-minute download (depending on your internet connection speed), about a 5-min preparation, then a 30+ minute transfer to the device. Don't disconnect the nuvi too early--and when you do disconnect, use your computer's Eject or Safely Disconnect option rather than simply pulling the USB cable.

If we're mistaken on what you first posted, fill us in and we'll rethink our answers.

MyGarmin.com works for updates

t923347 wrote:

If you were attempting to 2013.20 and myMaps on the nuvi reads anything but 2013.20, the update didn't work.

In future, don't use the Lifetime Updater which is a disaster.

I logged into myGarmin account and it told me I had 2013.20 installed. Strange since my unit said it was 2012.40. So with your suggestion I reinstalled the maps with myGarmin account. It had me install GarminMapUpdater and I selected to install the maps again. Now myMaps shows 2013.20 smile

Thank-you!

That will be the last time I will use the Lifetime Updater.

I'll give the new maps a test drive this week and see how they work.

Steve

Thanks

GeoScouter wrote:
t923347 wrote:

If you were attempting to 2013.20 and myMaps on the nuvi reads anything but 2013.20, the update didn't work.

In future, don't use the Lifetime Updater which is a disaster.

I logged into myGarmin account and it told me I had 2013.20 installed. Strange since my unit said it was 2012.40. So with your suggestion I reinstalled the maps with myGarmin account. It had me install GarminMapUpdater and I selected to install the maps again. Now myMaps shows 2013.20 smile

Thank-you!

That will be the last time I will use the Lifetime Updater.

I'll give the new maps a test drive this week and see how they work.

Steve

Thanks for letting us know you succeeded! Congrats.

Junction View file

CraigW wrote:
GeoScouter wrote:

Second, what do you mean by "Then I select install to device"? Are you using MapInstall or some other program on your computer to install the new map to your 2460--or are you still connected to the internet through myGarmin when you do this? If so, even if you succeed, you'll be missing the Junction View file and maybe some other stuff if you use MapInstall to transfer the map to your nuvi.

I had installed to the Nuvi using Garmin Lifetime updated after I downloaded the maps. Sorry if I sounded confusing.

I never used myGarmin until just now to update maps. Check my other post from a few minutes ago.

What do you mean by missing Junction View files? I just took a quick test drive and I did get the split screen for my exits on the interstate. Is there anything else I should look for that should be there?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Steve

All is well

GeoScouter wrote:

What do you mean by missing Junction View files? I just took a quick test drive and I did get the split screen for my exits on the interstate. Is there anything else I should look for that should be there?

Thanks for the quick replies.

Steve

If you installed maps to your nuvi from the maps on your computer (via MapInstall, for instance), you'd only transfer the map to the nuvi and would be missing Junctions Views.

You did not install the map to your nuvi this way and you therefore have the Junction View file which was installed along with the 2013.20 map. All is well with your nuvi. It has the new 2013.20 fully functional map as Garmin intended for your 2460.

JVC file

CraigW wrote:

If you installed maps to your nuvi from the maps on your computer (via MapInstall, for instance), you'd only transfer the map to the nuvi and would be missing Junctions Views.

You did not install the map to your nuvi this way and you therefore have the Junction View file which was installed along with the 2013.20 map. All is well with your nuvi. It has the new 2013.20 fully functional map as Garmin intended for your 2460.

Thanks for the tip. I just verified and it does have a 449MB JVC file on the 2490 system folder with today's date.

I'm just starting to read up on the internal workings of the 2490.

It looks like Garmin has a larger 756 MB JVC file for 2013.20 which can also be downloaded.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?29808-City-Navigato...

I'm assuming this will give more junction views?

Steve

That's the full-screen JCV

GeoScouter wrote:

It looks like Garmin has a larger 756 MB JVC file for 2013.20 which can also be downloaded.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?29808-City-Navigato...

I'm assuming this will give more junction views?

Steve

From all we've found, the 756 MB file offers the same number of JVs but they're full screen. It's intended for nuvis that only show full screen JVs but only receive a 45-50MB JCV file by default. I've heard a few split-screen owners who like the full-screen JV, but most split-screen owners prefer the split screen file that is installed by default on your 2460. A search here at The Factory should bring up those discussion threads.

larger JCV file

CraigW wrote:

From all we've found, the 756 MB file offers the same number of JVs but they're full screen. It's intended for nuvis that only show full screen JVs but only receive a 45-50MB JCV file by default. I've heard a few split-screen owners who like the full-screen JV, but most split-screen owners prefer the split screen file that is installed by default on your 2460. A search here at The Factory should bring up those discussion threads.

Thanks Craig. You answers have been helpful. I would prefer the split-screen but its nice to see that option. I will check out the other discussions.

Steve