new & interesting places for your GPS

Assigning proximity alerts in batches

 

I have tried searching but cannot find this. I would like to take a file such as a rest stop file and assign the same 3 mile proximity alerts to all the rest stops in the file. I do not want to have to go through each POI separately. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

Yes

CarlfromOH wrote:

I have tried searching but cannot find this. I would like to take a file such as a rest stop file and assign the same 3 mile proximity alerts to all the rest stops in the file. I do not want to have to go through each POI separately. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

You can either put a '3' in the filename, or, my preference, use EPE and assign a global replacement of the proximity field with a 3.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

Uhm - I wouldn't follow this procedure

David King wrote:
CarlfromOH wrote:

I have tried searching but cannot find this. I would like to take a file such as a rest stop file and assign the same 3 mile proximity alerts to all the rest stops in the file. I do not want to have to go through each POI separately. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

You can either put a '3' in the filename, or, my preference, use EPE and assign a global replacement of the proximity field with a 3.

As the Rest Area file is only provided as a CSV, the way you assign a 3 mile proximity is to run POI Loader in manual mode and when the file is accessed you will be asked if you wish to assign a speed or proximity alert. As you specified miles, enter 16,000 into the proximity field for a slightly more than 3 mile distance alert. if you follow Mr. King's instructions of using a 3 in the file name you will receive continuous alerts for the rest area until you slow to 3 miles per hour or less.

Converting the file to GPX using Extra_POI_Editor is possible, but a 3 for proximity will result in either a 3 foot or 3 meter radius depending on the selected editor options.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

oops. Definitely brain dead

Box Car wrote:
David King wrote:
CarlfromOH wrote:

I have tried searching but cannot find this. I would like to take a file such as a rest stop file and assign the same 3 mile proximity alerts to all the rest stops in the file. I do not want to have to go through each POI separately. Is there a way to do this? Thanks.

You can either put a '3' in the filename, or, my preference, use EPE and assign a global replacement of the proximity field with a 3.

As the Rest Area file is only provided as a CSV, the way you assign a 3 mile proximity is to run POI Loader in manual mode and when the file is accessed you will be asked if you wish to assign a speed or proximity alert. As you specified miles, enter 16,000 into the proximity field for a slightly more than 3 mile distance alert. if you follow Mr. King's instructions of using a 3 in the file name you will receive continuous alerts for the rest area until you slow to 3 miles per hour or less.

Converting the file to GPX using Extra_POI_Editor is possible, but a 3 for proximity will result in either a 3 foot or 3 meter radius depending on the selected editor options.

My bad, Putting in a number is the speed, not proximity. I'm going to go take a nap now...

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

nope ...

... I use '26400', the number of feet in 5 miles. Works every time.

--

it's the dog's fault

--
Garmin nuvi 2455 - nuvi 2555 for my other car - nuvi 350, 260 (spares) - my other toys: iMac G5, MacBook, Mac OS-X 10.6.8 and my best friend, Mayhem - a 2009 Harley-Davidson Superglide - and his Garmin nuvi 2455. The dog's name is Punky.

Express Mode

Box Car wrote:

Converting the file to GPX using Extra_POI_Editor is possible, but a 3 for proximity will result in either a 3 foot or 3 meter radius depending on the selected editor options.

"Mr. King"? That's the nicest thing I've called all week.

I still prefer the EPE method of replacing the proximity field with 16000. This way, you can use Express Mode and not have to stop the process every time to load it manually.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

still be careful

David King wrote:
Box Car wrote:

Converting the file to GPX using Extra_POI_Editor is possible, but a 3 for proximity will result in either a 3 foot or 3 meter radius depending on the selected editor options.

"Mr. King"? That's the nicest thing I've called all week.

I still prefer the EPE method of replacing the proximity field with 16000. This way, you can use Express Mode and not have to stop the process every time to load it manually.

The default units in EPE are metric not Imperial so you need to be certain the editor understands the values correctly. I wrote a FAQ on setting up the options in EPE. If the defaults remain metric, 16,000 meters is about 9 1/2 miles and the OP doesn't want that either.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

Thanks for the input. I was

Thanks for the input. I was hoping that since it IS a .CSV file I could use a spreadsheet and put the distance into a column.

I will definitely try some of your suggestions.

speed and proximity alerts

It's very possible to put in both speed and proximity alerts into a GPX file from a spreadsheet. I put in proximity alerts all the time in files. The trick is to define a specific place in the spreadsheet to hold that information and then tell EPE the figure in that column represents either speed or proximity.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

Cool

Box Car wrote:

The trick is to define a specific place in the spreadsheet to hold that information and then tell EPE the figure in that column represents either speed or proximity.

How is this done?

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

just as stated

David King wrote:
Box Car wrote:

The trick is to define a specific place in the spreadsheet to hold that information and then tell EPE the figure in that column represents either speed or proximity.

How is this done?

Pick a column and define its use under the M-Column assignments.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

Can any file have a proximity alert?

If I'm understanding the comments here, to have any file inform you when you are close to one of its locations, all you have to do in manual mode of POI Loader, is put it in when asked?
I notice on the Speed and Red-light files, it's already in there and I can just adjust it to the distance or speed that I want.
I use a Nuvi 2595

Thanks for the info

Good info to know.

to expand

JimElvis wrote:

If I'm understanding the comments here, to have any file inform you when you are close to one of its locations, all you have to do in manual mode of POI Loader, is put it in when asked?
I notice on the Speed and Red-light files, it's already in there and I can just adjust it to the distance or speed that I want.
I use a Nuvi 2595

Some alert distances are automatically assigned. To complicate matters, it also depends on some extent to the type of file. CSV and GPX files can have a distance or proximity alert assigned automatically by using certain key words in the file name. All files can have a speed alert assigned by including a number in the file name.

GPX files can have a proximity alert coded within for any distance, but CSV files can only have a maximum of 400 meters assigned automatically. Both files can have any speed assigned internally. With a CSV it requires the addition of an @ symbol followed by the speed. With GPX it's like distance, it's done through keywords assigned within the file itself.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

FWIW

I use 10560 feet (2 miles) for the Rest Area file. The alerts pop up at the same time as most of the rest area signs appear along the highway which allows for immediate reading of the services at that rest stop.

--
Zumo 665, (2) Nuvi 765Ts & 1450LMT | 2005 Harley Road King, Black Cherry Pearl / Black Pearl

So a GPX files is better to use?

Box Car wrote:
JimElvis wrote:

If I'm understanding the comments here, to have any file inform you when you are close to one of its locations, all you have to do in manual mode of POI Loader, is put it in when asked?
I notice on the Speed and Red-light files, it's already in there and I can just adjust it to the distance or speed that I want.
I use a Nuvi 2595

Some alert distances are automatically assigned. To complicate matters, it also depends on some extent to the type of file. CSV and GPX files can have a distance or proximity alert assigned automatically by using certain key words in the file name. All files can have a speed alert assigned by including a number in the file name.

GPX files can have a proximity alert coded within for any distance, but CSV files can only have a maximum of 400 meters assigned automatically. Both files can have any speed assigned internally. With a CSV it requires the addition of an @ symbol followed by the speed. With GPX it's like distance, it's done through keywords assigned within the file itself.

/

If my 2595 can handle GPX files, am I better off using those?

Depends on the file and how you use it

JimElvis wrote:

If my 2595 can handle GPX files, am I better off using those?

Read this first:
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/22374

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

As david stated

It all depends on the file and how you use it. For those files I want a proximity or distance alert, I load as GPX files edited with Extra_POI_Editor to include a distance. The only file I have with a speed alert is the speed camera file and I load that as a CSV.

The majority of my other files are GPX out pf preference because I reformat CSV files and control how they are displayed on my unit. For some of the files I maintain with both CSV and GPX format, you will see a difference in how they look. Often its the same data, but found in different screens on the unit.

As an example, I extensively rework both the Wal-Mart and Cracker Barrel files so when they display on the splash or first screen they show any exit information down at the bottom. The exit information is always in the same place so no matter how the rest of the address is shown, I know where to get off the Interstate.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

Good info BoxCar

Box Car wrote:

It all depends on the file and how you use it. For those files I want a proximity or distance alert, I load as GPX files edited with Extra_POI_Editor to include a distance. The only file I have with a speed alert is the speed camera file and I load that as a CSV.

The majority of my other files are GPX out pf preference because I reformat CSV files and control how they are displayed on my unit. For some of the files I maintain with both CSV and GPX format, you will see a difference in how they look. Often its the same data, but found in different screens on the unit.

As an example, I extensively rework both the Wal-Mart and Cracker Barrel files so when they display on the splash or first screen they show any exit information down at the bottom. The exit information is always in the same place so no matter how the rest of the address is shown, I know where to get off the Interstate.

I just downloaded your Five Guys in both CSV and GPX. On the CSV file I did a global replacement of each POI name and saved that file. Then I ran POI loader. I see the difference and I like it.
My 295 shows your HTML code when I press >MORE.
Do your units show the code?

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

I never have

spokybob wrote:

I just downloaded your Five Guys in both CSV and GPX. On the CSV file I did a global replacement of each POI name and saved that file. Then I ran POI loader. I see the difference and I like it.
My 295 shows your HTML code when I press >MORE.
Do your units show the code?

I never have pressed the more on that file. I set it up so the info I need displayed on my 885 is on the first screen. But thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it and perhaps remove the HTML.

EDIT:
Just looked at the file and I'll be removing the HTML as it does display on the GO page. Does make for some nice formatting though when it does work right.

--
Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought. - A. Lincoln

sponsored links