GPS Related Death

 

A college student died as a result of an automobile accident about three miles from my home. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/auburn_student_di...

The reported cause of the accident: She and her boyfriend were attempting to locate a local business and were entering the address into their GPS system.

According to an Alabama State Trooper: "Even if the GPS is on your dash, you have to take your eyes off the roadway and focus on a three-inch screen, and that's exactly what happened here."

Be careful my friends!

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

Same thing happens when texting

Same thing happens when texting. It is just too distracting. I have to pull over to the side of the road to reply to a text.

Change coming

I can see it now. Garmin to make a change that you will not be able to override the inputing of info into the gps.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

thanks!

jgermann wrote:

Same thing happens when texting. It is just too distracting. I have to pull over to the side of the road to reply to a text.

Thanks for pulling over, I do as well. Even to make a call I will stop somewhere.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

Mine too.

That's what I do.

--
GPSmap76Cx handheld, Nuvi 2557LMT, Nuvfi 2598LMTHD

Just like cell phone use, I

Just like cell phone use, I pull over to do it. If someone is with me, they answer the phone or key in the new address to the GPS. The driver should be doing ONE THING - DRIVING!

New drivers need to be trained for dealing with these matters - a HOW TO on electronic device use in the car. Either parents or schools should step up.

Fred

"She and her boyfriend"

selfruler wrote:

.........

The reported cause of the accident: She and her boyfriend were attempting to locate a local business and were entering the address into their GPS system........

It does not take 2 people to drive a car nor inputting data into GPS. What a way to waste a life.

horse hockey!

FZbar wrote:

New drivers need to be trained for dealing with these matters - a HOW TO on electronic device use in the car. Either parents or schools should step up.

Kids know it's illegal/ unsafe, and so do older people. Virtually everywhere has distracted driving laws.

People do it because they think "it can't happen to me"!

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

mandatory safe mode?

cameotabby wrote:
selfruler wrote:

.........

The reported cause of the accident: She and her boyfriend were attempting to locate a local business and were entering the address into their GPS system........

It does not take 2 people to drive a car nor inputting data into GPS. What a way to waste a life.

I can see some a law in the near future mandating all gps units have safe mode permanently enabled. I have safe mode turned off, but it is irrelevant as I don't touch it while I am moving.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

common sense...

Juggernaut wrote:
FZbar wrote:

New drivers need to be trained for dealing with these matters - a HOW TO on electronic device use in the car. Either parents or schools should step up.

Kids know it's illegal/ unsafe, and so do older people. Virtually everywhere has distracted driving laws.

People do it because they think "it can't happen to me"!

Common sense should be all the training anyone should need, unfortunately it isn't very common.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

A second person in my car

A second person in my car automatically becomes the navigator and takes control of inputting and searching the GPS.

Very Sad - but confusing too

Not enough information to understand what happened. Did the girlfriend not understand how to work the GPS? Why was the guy trying to do this while driving if she was there to do it? Were there other circumstances? When I go hunting, I am usually out in the middle of nowhere. Not a lot to hit and die - and also no big reason I couldn't pull over for a minute or two.

But GPS manufacturers don't help us out all that much. It takes my GPSs several minutes to get to the point where you can say where you want to go. I do not like the alternatives of sitting around with the car on for the GPS to boot up or pulling over when the GPS decides to work - finally. The nonsense screen about not working the GPS while traveling only adds to the wait. I try to put the points I am going in my favorites list so it is very easy and quick to pick it while driving but sometimes that doesn't work out - rarely. I will input an address while driving but only if there is very little traffic and I am going slow. Otherwise I pull over if I can find a safe place to do that.

If the GPS manufacturers really want to minimize this risk, how about getting the boot time down on the GPS to less than 30 seconds? The amount of time you would have to wait after startup is an issue, at least for me. I've also had a nuvi mess up the route after I picked the address with it powered by the battery and then snapped it onto the mount so the car would power it. If that process was robust so the nuvi would not freak out if it transfers into the cradle while on it would provide another alternative.

Jim

News Flash "Common Sense has Passed Away"

shrifty wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:
FZbar wrote:

New drivers need to be trained for dealing with these matters - a HOW TO on electronic device use in the car. Either parents or schools should step up.

Kids know it's illegal/ unsafe, and so do older people. Virtually everywhere has distracted driving laws.

People do it because they think "it can't happen to me"!

Common sense should be all the training anyone should need, unfortunately it isn't very common.

Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows:

Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.
Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.

A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.

C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.

Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.

Training?

Seems like our educational system and parenting should include "common sense" as a major factor.

--
Garmin Nuvi 765T, Garmin Drive 60LM

...

This isn't exactly related to GPS then as it can happen when texting while driving.

Some people need common sense.

--
Michael (Nuvi 2639LMT)