Auto Owners Beware -- D.C. Cops Throw Drivers in Jail for Expired Tags

 
--
Nuvi 2460LMT

Interesting article

mmullins98 wrote:

I feel no need to comment further.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10/05/tourists-beware-d...

Interesting, I wonder if they do this with outdated inspections as well? That would make a lot more sense to me if they did.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

?

shrifty wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if they do this with outdated inspections as well? That would make a lot more sense to me if they did.

We have no automobile inspections in Florida so how would they handle that when we visit DC?

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

Ah...

flaco wrote:
shrifty wrote:

Interesting, I wonder if they do this with outdated inspections as well? That would make a lot more sense to me if they did.

We have no automobile inspections in Florida so how would they handle that when we visit DC?

That would explain the motorhome I saw a few months back with FL plates that was falling apart with the door swinging open as they drove down the road. A few moments later I saw the state police pull them over. No idea what happened after that.

I re-read the article, surprised they pulled over a vehicle from outside DC for this. I could understand enforcing their own rules, but not another's.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

not understanding

What's supposed to happen when you drive with expired licenses and registrations, you just keep going on your merry way? A councilman in Phila. drove for 25 years without a license. Of course, when called on the carpet, everyone cried foul, NAACP, AARP, AAA, GED, NRA, SAT, ACT, IDK. Guess it's just as unconstitutional to some as red light cams. Very weird. Just do whatever you want in society.

Solutions

There are two solutions that come to mind if it is a problem:

1) Just do not go to DC (unless of course you work there). Visit some other area.

2) Write to your congressperson. The Federal government can override DC's laws as they were going to do on the ban on firearms possession. Perhaps if one or two congresspeople get arrested (hah) for expired tags, it might speed up the process.

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Another Solution

Keep your tag current. If you are going to drive a car, then you need to abide by the laws governing that privilege.

What has happened to common sense?

It appears to me the police force requires training in the proper use of authority. The D.C. Code may state it is illegal to drive a vehicle without proper registration, punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 30 days, but wouldn’t it make more sense for the police officer to issue a citation and let a judge decide the appropriate punishment after all the facts are gathered.

You're talking about D.C.

You're talking about D.C. Common sense was thrown out the window forty years ago.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Whose regulations are you violating?

panama wrote:

Keep your tag current. If you are going to drive a car, then you need to abide by the laws governing that privilege.

While I wholeheartedly agree with this, I would argue that no out of state driver, can violate any other state's vehicle registration laws. A non-registered vehicle is violating just the state's law whose name appears on that license plate.

The DC law does not say that the vehicle must be registered in the home state of that vehicle. Without saying so, it can't charge someone for violating the DC law that only applies to vehicles needing to be registered in DC!

For those lawyers among us, is this argument workable?

You're violating the laws of the jurisdiction which tickets you

LaManchaDQ wrote:
panama wrote:

Keep your tag current. If you are going to drive a car, then you need to abide by the laws governing that privilege.

While I wholeheartedly agree with this, I would argue that no out of state driver, can violate any other state's vehicle registration laws. A non-registered vehicle is violating just the state's law whose name appears on that license plate.

Your argument fails in that it is illegal to operate an unlicensed vehicle on the streets of DC (or any other state for that matter). If the registration is not current, then the vehicle is unlicensed. You are correct in that the DC Metro Police aren't saying the vehicle has to be licensed in the District, it just has to be licensed in order to be operated legally on the streets.

By common motor vehicle law any jurisdiction can remove (impound) any unregistered vehicle to prevent it from being operated without a valid (current) registration. By common law I'm paraphrasing the laws regarding vehicle registration in all jurisdictions which are easily checked through your own state's vehicle code.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

jail

Jails are over crowded as it is. Putting people there for simple registration violations is ridiculous. Not sure if they still do, but North Carolina use to seize your vehicle if you let your insurance expire. I can understand punishment if the lack of proper registration or insurance has been going on for a few months. Although its easy to forgot something that only comes up once a year or longer.

I am suprised

I am surprised our resident Fascist has not commented about how the police are only enforcing the law when they put people in jail for driving a car with an expired registration.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

yes seems like an over the

yes seems like an over the top reaction...

--
http://www.poi-factory.com/node/21626 - red light cameras do not work

Over the Top

Is it really over the top to throw somebody in jail for flagerantly breaking the law while advertising they are breaking it? What has happened to the "if you are not breaking the law you have nothing to fear" argument?
While they are at it, they should also jail anyone who passes a law that is found unconstitutional. That's the highest law in the land and it should certainly not be violated, eh?

Please Clarify...

Box Car wrote:

By common motor vehicle law any jurisdiction can remove (impound) any unregistered vehicle to prevent it from being operated without a valid (current) registration. By common law I'm paraphrasing the laws regarding vehicle registration in all jurisdictions which are easily checked through your own state's vehicle code.

Holy Cow, is this true? Any unregistered vehicle?
So if I am in the middle of a multi-year restoration of a (classic, or any) car, and have not renewed the registration, a cop can drive by my garage, see the car, and impound it? Yikes. Ain't Amerika great.

Impound the Vehicle

Seems the best answer after the police stops someone driving an unlicenced and/or unregistered vehicle would be to confiscate the plates (if there are any) and impound the vehicle until it gets cleared up. Unclamed vehicles after six months or so should be auctioned off. Not sure what locking them up accomplishes.

--
Tuckahoe Mike - Nuvi 3490LMT, Nuvi 260W, iPhone X, Mazda MX-5 Nav

It is a myth

Police can not impound your unregistered vehicle from your own private property.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

if it's at the curb

grtlake wrote:
Box Car wrote:

By common motor vehicle law any jurisdiction can remove (impound) any unregistered vehicle to prevent it from being operated without a valid (current) registration. By common law I'm paraphrasing the laws regarding vehicle registration in all jurisdictions which are easily checked through your own state's vehicle code.

Holy Cow, is this true? Any unregistered vehicle?
So if I am in the middle of a multi-year restoration of a (classic, or any) car, and have not renewed the registration, a cop can drive by my garage, see the car, and impound it? Yikes. Ain't Amerika great.

Yes, it can be impounded if it is on the street, but not while it is in your garage.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Double Check That

spokybob wrote:

Police can not impound your unregistered vehicle from your own private property.

California may be an exception to that rule. Non-operational vehicles that you may have on your property need to be registered. It costs $5/year.

http://www.carsdirect.com/dmv/car-registration-for-non-opera...

--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

Interesting

I wonder how the wrecking yards comply with the rule.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Avoid D.C.

Given the current climate I would avoid driving in D.C. if at all possible. I would definitely not want to live there.

--
romanviking

I second this

romanviking wrote:

Given the current climate I would avoid driving in D.C. if at all possible. I would definitely not want to live there.

I try to avoid it as much as possible, but unfortunately I have business trips every so often there. DC itself isn't so bad, the problem I have is that there is no way to get there without driving through either MD or VA. I'd consider those far worse than DC to drive through.

--
Streetpilot C340 Nuvi 2595 LMT

DC

I don't go to DC anymore. Only place I have ever been robbed once and had an attempted robbery another time. Great museums, but watch yourself.

--
Dudlee

D.C. Cops Throw Drivers in Jail for Expired Tags

It's a law on their books, as frivolous as it seem to us. Cops stop vehicles for expired tags because you've given them the probable cause to do so. People that drive with expired tags often have other problems with their driving record and cops know that.
Were the D.C. Cops excessive? Sure, but those folks gave them the reason to stop them in the first place.

Make sure you have paid up valid tags and you won't have a problem to start with.

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

As of this morning's news,

As of this morning's news, the arrest part of the statue has been removed.

Just take the metro

Just take the metro

We have a resident fascist?

Double Tap wrote:

I am surprised our resident Fascist has not commented about how the police are only enforcing the law when they put people in jail for driving a car with an expired registration.

My previous comment about D.C. and common sense notwithstanding (it referred to the federal government), the comments about expired tags giving probable cause are valid. I actually got pulled over for this very thing, but in my case my butt was covered because I had sent the state the payment to renew, which showed up in the police systems. If there was an issue such as a suspended license or registration, the officer would be within his rights to handcuff me and have the car towed.

This year I paid in person since the RMV was five minutes down the road. I got my tag that day and applied it the day after.

P.S. I'm a Libertarian with a touch of Anarchist. smile

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Overkill

Excessive in the extreme.

I've driven numerous times in D.C....

do you honestly think , one, that they have the manpower to back this up, and two, the jail space to arrest and keep everyone who has outdated tags on their cars? If so, rush hour will be a dream. I think it a bit drastic to say you're going to do this, and not back it up.

Given the very high rate of crime in D.C., I would think they would rather be arresting more serious offenders of our existing laws, not keep piling laws upon laws.

I have lived in California all my life, so far, and as whacked off as is this state, I don't think that idea would have a prayer in Hell of ever being enforced...but you never know, we elected Gerry Brown again...no surprises there.

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

D.C.

Enough said

.

Hmm i see that all the time here in B.C
Even if you have it and the sticker isn't on the plate you will get fined. I forgot once and it expired, friend reminded me. Paranoid now.

--
DriveSmart 65 - We do not live in Igloo's and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Fine ok

Speed2 wrote:

Hmm i see that all the time here in B.C
Even if you have it and the sticker isn't on the plate you will get fined. I forgot once and it expired, friend reminded me. Paranoid now.

A fine is a reasonable deterrent, however jail is absolutely totalitarian and unacceptable in the USA. It is time for push back against the elected officials that have become statist's. Vote them out of office, demonstrate in front of their homes 24 hours a day until they realize that we will not become slaves to the state.

--
"Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam" “When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.”

yep

And when u get caught road racing...u loose ur car.
And NO you don't get it back.

--
DriveSmart 65 - We do not live in Igloo's and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Question

Quote:

Your argument fails in that it is illegal to operate an unlicensed vehicle on the streets of DC (or any other state for that matter). If the registration is not current, then the vehicle is unlicensed. You are correct in that the DC Metro Police aren't saying the vehicle has to be licensed in the District, it just has to be licensed in order to be operated legally on the streets.

Quote:

By common motor vehicle law any jurisdiction can remove (impound) any unregistered vehicle to prevent it from being operated without a valid (current) registration. By common law I'm paraphrasing the laws regarding vehicle registration in all jurisdictions which are easily checked through your own state's vehicle code.

How can a DC law say that a car from, for instance, Indiana, is unlicensed when that licensing is done by Indiana. Yes, I understand information may be available that a car is not currently registered in Indiana.

I know that I am splitting nano-hairs but it seems to me that while I agree with any jurisdiction enforcing traffic laws (speed, unsafe driving etc) I don't see how a jurisdiction is to, in effect, enforce another state's registration laws. Different states have different registration laws and one should not be allowed to enforce the laws of another.

they're enforcing DC law

LaManchaDQ wrote:

How can a DC law say that a car from, for instance, Indiana, is unlicensed when that licensing is done by Indiana. Yes, I understand information may be available that a car is not currently registered in Indiana.

I know that I am splitting nano-hairs but it seems to me that while I agree with any jurisdiction enforcing traffic laws (speed, unsafe driving etc) I don't see how a jurisdiction is to, in effect, enforce another state's registration laws. Different states have different registration laws and one should not be allowed to enforce the laws of another.

The cops in DC aren't enforcing the laws from say Indiana regarding registration, they are enforcing DC law which states it is illegal to operate a vehicle on the streets of the district that is not currently registered.

If, for instance, your vehicle is registered in Indiana as it is you permanent place of residence but you let the vehicle registration lapse, you have not only violated Indiana's licensing requirements, but those of whichever jurisdiction you are currently in.

DC doesn't make you license the vehicle in the District, they require the vehicle to have a current registration in the state of record. Indiana would also issue a citation if you had expired DC plates in Indianapolis. It's just the way the law is written in DC that allows an officer to jail the vehicle operator rather than just issue a citation.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

Excessive YES Necessary YES

OK, while it is excessive to arrest the driver of an unregistered safe car, the law is there to protect citizens from the person who doesn't register their vehicle for a multitude of reasons (it is unsafe and can't pass inspection... It is stolen.... I could think of others with more time). the point is, the police should have the ability to arrest drivers of non-registered vehicles that pose a danger to the rest of us. They should opt for the fine for those who forgot-- but lets face it, I forgot is a pretty lame excuse. Millions of people have always remembered to renew, why can't you. Send yourself an email, or recurring calendar update, or text (not while driving)or a thousand other ways to remember.

--
R/Tim NUVI 660, ETREX Vista, Rhino 120, zumo 660, nuvi 3790