new & interesting places for your GPS

POI Warnings (on TomTom)

 

I have still not been able to get the McDonalds and Wendys warnings from this site to work on my TomTom. The Redlight camera warnings work and the rest area warnings work. I am using a different custom audio alert for all. The POI for McD and Wendys show up on the map - no problem. But no warning is put on the screen or heard. This is driving me crazy. I have followed the TomTom FAQ exactly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

These alerts may sound silly but as a Diabetic it is good to know that there is food ahead on a route. I have narrowed it down to these two - can't have every restaurant set for warning.

Please help!

See also

--
Garmin 1490T and Tom Tom In-Dash Eclipse II

Robert1775 wrote: I have

Robert1775 wrote:

I have still not been able to get the McDonalds and Wendys warnings from this site to work on my TomTom. The Redlight camera warnings work and the rest area warnings work. I am using a different custom audio alert for all. The POI for McD and Wendys show up on the map - no problem. But no warning is put on the screen or heard. This is driving me crazy. I have followed the TomTom FAQ exactly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

These alerts may sound silly but as a Diabetic it is good to know that there is food ahead on a route. I have narrowed it down to these two - can't have every restaurant set for warning.

Please help!

Don't know that much about TT, but did you D/L the proper sound file and did you "Test" it by double-clicking it from the directory you put it in?

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with the sound file - you can create a sound file right on the TomTom and use that for warnings right from the sound menu - worked for the Redlight warnings but no warnings show up on screen for Wendys or McD Custom Poi Files from POIFactory.

TomTom has the warnings capability built into the menu. Just does not seem to work with all Custom POI files.

Is there something missing from the files here on this site for TomTom - downloaded the correct TT format.

--
Garmin 1490T and Tom Tom In-Dash Eclipse II

TT files created automatically

Robert1775 wrote:

This has nothing to do with the sound file - you can create a sound file right on the TomTom and use that for warnings right from the sound menu - worked for the Redlight warnings but no warnings show up on screen for Wendys or McD Custom Poi Files from POIFactory.

TomTom has the warnings capability built into the menu. Just does not seem to work with all Custom POI files.

Is there something missing from the files here on this site for TomTom - downloaded the correct TT format.

The TT (ov2) files are automatically created from the csv or gpx files.

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

ov2 files

pwohlrab wrote:

The TT (ov2) files are automatically created from the csv or gpx files.

How so??

Behind the scenes

tendriver wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

The TT (ov2) files are automatically created from the csv or gpx files.

How so??

It is done behind the scenes. I have never created a ov2 file when I update my files or create a new poi file. They just appear on the download page.

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

ov2 files

pwohlrab wrote:
tendriver wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:

The TT (ov2) files are automatically created from the csv or gpx files.

How so??

It is done behind the scenes. I have never created a ov2 file when I update my files or create a new poi file. They just appear on the download page.

Could you share the link to this download screen, Please?

Yet still no one knows why

Yet still no one knows why some POI warnings work on the TomTom and some do not.

Just a comment about TomTom - judging by this forum no one must own TomToms considering the posts here and the lack of responses when compared with the many thousands who own an Garmin and post on that forum on this site daily.

This TomTom came standard in-dash with the vehicle I purchased. I owned a TT in the past until I got fed up with it and bought a Garmin. Was I sorry when I heard that this vehicle had a TT built into the dashboard! It is just back to frustration again...

--
Garmin 1490T and Tom Tom In-Dash Eclipse II

there's something strange about the .ov2 file

I have a TomTom (GO 720) and this afternoon I tested the Wendy's .ov2 file from

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/10042

as I drove around town. Even though I set the TomTom to

- display the Wendy's POIs while en route, and

- sound a proximity alert when I got within 0.4km of a Wendy's

my TomTom did neither. However, my other custom POIs displayed properly and sounded proximity alerts just fine.

When I got home I got the same results in demo mode, so I loaded the .ov2 file into Extra_POI_Editor...

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/

...and used "Save As..." to create a new copy of the .ov2 file. When I copied that one to my TomTom then the drive-time display and proximity alerts started working.

So, there's something strange about the downloaded version of the Wendy's .ov2 file.

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

ATTA BOY

VersatileGuy wrote:

I loaded the .ov2 file into Extra_POI_Editor...

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/

...and used "Save As..." to create a new copy of the .ov2 file. When I copied that one to my TomTom then the drive-time display and proximity alerts started working.

So, there's something strange about the downloaded version of the Wendy's .ov2 file.

You get a big ATTA BOY!!! I had the same problem with the RestArea.ov2 download. I did the same as you with PoiEdit & got the same positive results as you did.

THANX.

You're welcome!

tendriver wrote:

You get a big ATTA BOY!!! I had the same problem with the RestArea.ov2 download. I did the same as you with PoiEdit & got the same positive results as you did.

THANX.

You're welcome! I also submitted my findings to the site developer and he asked me to send a couple of sample .ov2 files so he could investigate further.

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

Thank you!

tendriver wrote:
VersatileGuy wrote:

I loaded the .ov2 file into Extra_POI_Editor...

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/

...and used "Save As..." to create a new copy of the .ov2 file. When I copied that one to my TomTom then the drive-time display and proximity alerts started working.

So, there's something strange about the downloaded version of the Wendy's .ov2 file.

You get a big ATTA BOY!!! I had the same problem with the RestArea.ov2 download. I did the same as you with PoiEdit & got the same positive results as you did.

THANX.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to try this with the RestAreas Combined file for the TomTom.

The maintainer for that file says that the rest areas on I-10 between Phoenix and Los Angeles have been in the file for a long time, but they never show up when I drive that route.

I am sure that he knows what he is talking about, but I just do not get them to display, so I was really scratching my head. This sounds like it may be the explanation.

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535

THIS WORKS!

Yes, this fix worked. Loaded all the ov2 files from here into the Extra POI Editor and re-saved. Now they all show on the screen and all audio warnings work! Excellent. I have been knocking my head into the wall trying to fix this. Apparently the only reason the red light camera file worked before is that it came from here as a csv file that I had to convert to ov2.

Thank you!!!!

--
Garmin 1490T and Tom Tom In-Dash Eclipse II

good news

Glad to hear it worked for you!

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

One more confirmation

-et- wrote:

Thanks for the information. I'll have to try this with the RestAreas Combined file for the TomTom.

The maintainer for that file says that the rest areas on I-10 between Phoenix and Los Angeles have been in the file for a long time, but they never show up when I drive that route.

I am sure that he knows what he is talking about, but I just do not get them to display, so I was really scratching my head. This sounds like it may be the explanation.

Until recently I was not able to get the I-10 locations from Rest Areas Combined to show up on my TomTom. However, after reading this thread, I decided to see if the problem is that there is some kind of formatting error in the OV2 file downloaded from here that causes my TomTom GPS to ignore the data in that file.

I downloaded the CSV version of RestAreasCombined, converted it to the TomTom OV2 format myself, using POI Editor, and replaced the POI Factory OV2 file with the OV2 file I had converted from the POI Factory CSV file myself.

Eureka ! My TomTom XXL540 now recognized the Rest Areas along I-10 between Phoenix and Los Angeles that it was previously ignoring. As a double-check, when I replaced the OV2 file I converted myself with the OV2 file downloaded from here, my TomTom GPS again ignored the Rest Areas.

Needless to say, I am now using POI files that I converted myself from the POI Factory CSV files. It had never occurred to me that this might be an issue, as I have several files from here that have worked perfectly. It was not until I went back and looked at them that I realized that the ones that I have that had worked were not available here in OV2 format, and I had been forced to convert those files myself.

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535

@ -et-

Thanks for confirming what others have found. In another topic JM is working on a resolution.

--
Nuvi 650 and 1350.

A fix was applied on 2011-09-25

pwohlrab wrote:

JM is working on a resolution.

For an update on this, see

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/34519

--
TomTom GO 720 (for driving), Samsung Galaxy Nexus (for walking)

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 20 users and 45 guests online.

Online users

  • oneillaaron5gma...
  • Driver 38
  • Felix Krull
  • hhhttt
  • dobs108
  • mgarledge
  • RonJS
  • samtitle
  • pmhennessey
  • spencersouthbend