Is anyone subscribed to EZ-Pass in a different state than the one they live in?

 

Hi,

We live in Maryland, where O'Malley started charging us a $1.50/month "administrative fee" for absolutely nothing, so we canceled our EZ-pass. We use it enough that we'd like to pick one up again but only if there is no fee involved, so I've been looking at neighboring states' EZ-Pass programs.

It looks like the best deals are through DRJTBC, Peace Bridge and Virginia. I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with any of these agencies before we sign back up, though.

Seems to have been a pretty dumb move on Maryland's part though as a bunch of folks have just dumped their EZ-Pass accounts, increasing the need for paid toll-collection personnel. Let's spend lots of money on this great automated system and then do everything we can to reduce the demand for it... great idea.

Thanks!

- Phil

1 2 3
5 6 7
<<Page 4>>

sponsored links

"…In Connecticut"

diesel wrote:

We don't even have tolls or EZ-Pass.

I expect you're either paying $1.50/month or $1/month depending if you're signed up with NJ or NY EZP.
For NJ click on the following link.
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/ez-pass-faq.html
Then, at the bottom of the page find the bold lines below & click on them for additional information.

  • Will I get a statement?
  • What do I need to do to continue receiving a monthly statement after the first six months?
  • Do I have to receive an E-ZPass paper
    statement?

Keep in mind if you have a New Jersey EZP you may or may not get an EZP discount on the NJ to NY crossings! I do know if you had a Massassachuttes FastLane pass (MA EZP equivalent) you do not get a discount on those crossings. In addition, for the NJ EZP you are privileged to pay an extra $6/year for the opportunity of paying your bill.
=================================
For NY click on the following link.
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/facilities.shtml
NY currently does not charge NY residents (accounts billed to a NY address). However, NY EZP charges out-of-state accounts $1/month.

=================================
Confused yet!? NO?!? Keep reading.
So far we've got the following:

NY resident can get NY EZP tags at no service charge with a credit card type account.
Non NY resident can get NY EZP tags and pay a $1/month service charge with a credit card type account.

Anybody can get a NJ EZP tags and pay a $1.50/month charge with a credit card type account. NJ EZP tag accounts can apply for senior discount that gives a WHOPPING 10% on the Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike. Oh, the 10% appies only during off peak hours. What are peak hours? That depends. Roads, Bridges & Tunnels. You'll have to look that up as ther're not all the same.
The following lines show toll rates for the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway respectively.
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/c1sched-2012.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/2012parkwaytollrat...

I know. The IRS must have designed all of this!! rolleyes

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

never look at the statements

I thought I was paying $1/mo. with NJ EZPass, not $1.50.

"We live in Maryland, …"

pquesinb wrote:

Hi,

We live in Maryland, where O'Malley started charging us a $1.50/month…

Thanks!

- Phil

Phil,
As it turns out DRJTBC charges its accounts $1/month. Click on the following line & go to the bottom (last line) to see the charge.
https://www.ezpassdrjtbc.com/olcsc/home/infoTermsConditionsI...
You'll see: Monthly account administrative fee $1.00
I don't know it there is any additional charge like NJ charges $0.50 every other month for the privileged of paying them!

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

NJ billing fee

johnnatash4 wrote:

I thought I was paying $1/mo. with NJ EZPass, not $1.50.

Click the next line:
http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/ez-pass-faq.html

Find & click:
Are there any other fees associated with this service?, you'll see:
There is a $1.00 monthly membership fee in New Jersey.

Now. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen find & click:
Will I get a statement? & you'll see:
Yes. You will receive an itemized statement every month for the first six months and every other month thereafter. You have the option to continue receiving monthly statements for a fee of $1.00 every other month ($6.00 per year).

This implies if you go for billing every other month your total for NJ will be $1/month. However, this is NOT CLEAR! If you read the NJ EZP "…Terms and Conditions" number 16, it states "$1.00 bi-monthly fee" Click the next line to view:
https://www.ezpassnj.com/static/terms/i_terms.pdf

So now the question is does the NJ EZP get the EZP discount for the bridge & tunnels?

I've just reviewed the NJ EZP WEB site & it seems it gives the same discounts as the NY EZP.

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

A lot of confusion here

New York E-ZPass accounts do *NOT* have a monthly fee. This includes both the Thruway and MTA/Triborough Bridge Authority accounts.

Port Authority NY/NJ E-ZPass accounts DO have a monthly fee.

So do NJ, MD, and DRJTBC accounts. DRPA and DRBA did too, but I think these got rolled into the NJ service center when those agencies decided to exit the E-ZPass tag issuing business. PA Turnpike charges an annual fee that works out to be 50c a month *per tag* not per account.

I do not live in NY but signed up for a NY E-Pass and do not pay any monthly fees.

Live in MD -- using MassDOT

It seems just reading the recent surge of responses to this thread recently, chasing EZpass discounts is probably more trouble than its worth.

My personal opinion is that MassDOT (Fastlane) and Delaware offer the best deals on EZpass.

1) You don't pay a service fee.
2) You don't pay a monthly admin fee (yet).
3) You can auto-replenish.

John

Rip-off?

Sounds like an easy rip-off. During our annual or semi annual use of toll roads, wife always says you know we should get one of those easy things. Well admin fee kiss my ... They should call it sleasy pass...

--
nuvi 250 --> 1250T --> 265T Lost my 1250T

Illinois matches it

polaris_silvertree wrote:

My personal opinion is that MassDOT (Fastlane) and Delaware offer the best deals on EZpass.

1) You don't pay a service fee.
2) You don't pay a monthly admin fee (yet).
3) You can auto-replenish.

John

Same here in Illinois with the I-Pass (which works with EZpass tolls and vice versa).

--
JMoo On

Mass Fast Lane

polaris_silvertree wrote:

It seems just reading the recent surge of responses to this thread recently, chasing EZpass discounts is probably more trouble than its worth.

My personal opinion is that MassDOT (Fastlane) and Delaware offer the best deals on EZpass.

1) You don't pay a service fee.
2) You don't pay a monthly admin fee (yet).
3) You can auto-replenish.

John

Personally I wouldn't put too much stock in the (now rebranded) Massachusetts Turnpike Authority not charging a hefty fee in the future. Remember this is the same agency that used to charge more than their cost for transponders, then tried to add monthly fees in addition to that. It is only free right now because they wanted to get out of some political hot water. BTW: The silly "fast lane" moniker will be reverting to E-ZPass in the next year or two as the FHWA prohibits advertising (e.g. Citizens Bank in this case) on official highway signs for federally funded roads. Now that the Old Highway Dept and MTA merged, they have been directed to remove the sponsorship. YMMV.

It Depends

just wrote:

Sounds like an easy rip-off.

It depends on how much you use it. If it's only one or two times a year, it's not worth paying a fee. I get mine from the MTA, so there's no fee, but even back in the days that there was a fee, you couldn't pry my EZ-Pass out of my cold, dead hand. The convenience factor more than makes up for any fee.

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

never used them

never used them

Rental car use.

I live in TX and have a Massachusetts FastLane pass for the sole reason of when I rent a car. I travel Massachusetts and New York on vacation once a year and since there is no monthly fee I just keep it until next year.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT

Depends on how much you use it

Sure, if you only use toll roads once or twice a year. In PA the Turnpike EZ-pass has started offering reduced rates for EZ-Pass users (conversely you could call it extra charge for cash users). My usual commute to work is about 25 miles on the turnpike. With EZ-Pass it saves me 62 cents each way, that's $1.24 a day. I don't mind paying $6 a year for this kind of savings.

Discounts and fees

mangust wrote:

Sure, if you only use toll roads once or twice a year. In PA the Turnpike EZ-pass has started offering reduced rates for EZ-Pass users (conversely you could call it extra charge for cash users). My usual commute to work is about 25 miles on the turnpike. With EZ-Pass it saves me 62 cents each way, that's $1.24 a day. I don't mind paying $6 a year for this kind of savings.

I have to agree... that's definitely worth it.

In our case though, MD charges $18/yr. and gives no discount. You're just paying for the privilege of reducing their costs associated with toll-collection personnel.

We'll stick with Massachusetts unless they start charging, then we'll find another place to go or drop the Pass entirely again. We don't travel over toll roads often enough to merit rewarding the extortionist behavior. $18/yr. is a pittance really, but it's the principle. If everyone just pays then there's no reason for them to stop, and no deterrent for them to try an even higher fee in the future.

Apparently Maryland is noticing the mass (Mass.?) smile exodus of E-ZPass account holders. They're talking about possibly reducing the fee. I'll believe it when I see it though, I doubt it will happen while O'Malley's in office. Now he wants to raise the gas tax.

Any recommendations on good states to move to besides Maryland? I guess I can understand why O'Malley is trying to make our taxes some of the highest in the nation; after all, we do have ice storms...

- Phil

It depends?

"Any recommendations on good states to move to besides Maryland?"

It depends on what you like. TX has more toll roads than any other state, just had the worst drought in history, has the dumbest politicians in the nation(except for Washington), high temps and humidity, flat land, snakes, mosquitoes, chiggers, high electricity, high water prices so sure if you like all this then come on down.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT

Re: A Lot Of Confusion Here

telecomdigest2 wrote:

New York E-ZPass accounts do *NOT* have a monthly fee. This includes both the Thruway and MTA/Triborough Bridge Authority accounts.

Port Authority NY/NJ E-ZPass accounts DO have a monthly fee.

So do NJ, MD, and DRJTBC accounts. DRPA and DRBA did too, but I think these got rolled into the NJ service center when those agencies decided to exit the E-ZPass tag issuing business. PA Turnpike charges an annual fee that works out to be 50c a month *per tag* not per account.

I do not live in NY but signed up for a NY E-Pass and do not pay any monthly fees.

Can you help us out. Exactly where or how can you get a "New York E-ZPass" as opposed to a "Port Authority NY/NJ E-ZPass"? By the way, online I find no reference tying NY to NJ. On the "…e-zpassny.com" site they do have reference to "www.panynj.gov" to be able to add other plans to a NY EZP.

Online, anytime I try to find anything about EZP relating to NY I end up on the site:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml
which shows "E-ZPass(R) New York" on the TAB of my browser. This is where I can gain access to my account which is Port Authority EZP.

NJ has their own site:
https://www.ezpassnj.com/

EZP sent me TAG replacements a couple of weeks ago, no charge, so unless I can find a definite advantage to what I have I'm sitting tight.

Bottom line: Is there a way to sign up for a "New York E-ZPass" online if in fact it does exist?

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

Re: Live In MD -- Using MassDOT

polaris_silvertree wrote:

It seems just reading the recent surge of responses to this thread recently, chasing EZpass discounts is probably more trouble than its worth.

My personal opinion is that MassDOT (Fastlane) and Delaware offer the best deals on EZpass.

1) You don't pay a service fee.
2) You don't pay a monthly admin fee (yet).
3) You can auto-replenish.

John

For the most part I agree with your assessment. However, if you have MA's Fastlane & regularly use, let's say, any NY Port Authority crossings you will not get the EZP discount.

Most bridge tolls run $12/cash, $9.50/EZP peak, $7.50/EZP off peak. So if you one or more of these crossings every couple of months the $1/month service is more than paid for. In other words, if you have the MA Fastlane, go over the NY, George Washington Bridge, you'll pay $12.00, the cash fare. This is based on a phone call to MA EZP.

John H.

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

Yep

I live in TN and have a pass for FL.

--
Garmin nuvi 855, nuvi 1450, and DriveDeluxe 50

This thread amuses me

This thread amuses me, I'm glad it's still going.

I bet individual states still get a cut from the tolls when an EZPass, etc sold in their state is used elsewhere. I do wonder which gets a state more money: charging a fee with a few customers or charging no monthly fee to a lot of customers.

Re: This Thread Amuses Me

jonny5 wrote:

This thread amuses me, I'm glad it's still going.

I bet individual states still get a cut from the tolls when an EZPass, etc sold in their state is used elsewhere. I do wonder which gets a state more money: charging a fee with a few customers or charging no monthly fee to a lot of customers.

It amuses me as well.

I think EZP is: "The E-ZPass Group is an association of 24 toll agencies in 14 states". See the following link:
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/

This next link gives links to various states:
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/component/content/article/31-about...

The next link shows "members":
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-us/members
This shows the 24 members in 14 States.

In some of my earlier posts I refer to NY EZP. A reply to my posts infers there are at least two (or more) NY EZP agencies. I can not find them. The above second link shows only one as well.

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

NY EZPass

jckl wrote:

In some of my earlier posts I refer to NY EZP. A reply to my posts infers there are at least two (or more) NY EZP agencies. I can not find them. The above second link shows only one as well.

There are three agencies that issue EZP in New York - as shown on the third link you posted. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which is responsible for the bridges and tunnels within NYC (as well as the subways and buses), the NYS Thruway Authority, responsible for the thruway in upstate NY, and the NYS Bridge Authority, who handle the Hudson River bridges north of NYC.

If you go to any of those agency's web site, you will be directed to the same NY EZP site to sign up.

The other agency that covers NYS is the Port Authority of NY and NJ. They are responsible for the Hudson River crossings (bridges and tunnels) between the two states, as well as the three major metropolitan area airports, the seaport, and other things in the region. The PANYNJ EZP does have a $1 monthly fee, however, if you go to the PANYNJ web site and follow the links, it also takes you to the same NY EZP site as the three NY agencies, so I don't know how they determine how to charge you that fee. I have my account with the MTA, and pay no monthly fee.

Clear as mud, right? wink

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

Re: NY EZPass

Moose135 wrote:
jckl wrote:

In some of my earlier posts I refer to NY EZP. A reply to my posts infers there are at least two (or more) NY EZP agencies. I can not find them. The above second link shows only one as well.

There are three agencies that issue EZP in New York - as shown on the third link you posted. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which is responsible for the bridges and tunnels within NYC (as well as the subways and buses), the NYS Thruway Authority, responsible for the thruway in upstate NY, and the NYS Bridge Authority, who handle the Hudson River bridges north of NYC.

If you go to any of those agency's web site, you will be directed to the same NY EZP site to sign up.

The other agency that covers NYS is the Port Authority of NY and NJ. They are responsible for the Hudson River crossings (bridges and tunnels) between the two states, as well as the three major metropolitan area airports, the seaport, and other things in the region. The PANYNJ EZP does have a $1 monthly fee, however, if you go to the PANYNJ web site and follow the links, it also takes you to the same NY EZP site as the three NY agencies, so I don't know how they determine how to charge you that fee. I have my account with the MTA, and pay no monthly fee.

Clear as mud, right? wink

Unfortunately not so clear. Yes, there are three NY EZP links on the link I posted, here again:
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-us/members

If you click one by one on each of the included links (shown here)
http://www.nysba.state.ny.us/
http://www.thruway.ny.gov/index.shtml
http://www.panynj.gov/
and proceed on each NY EZP link to apply online you end up at the same place, here:
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

The only thing I can think of is you applied and received your EZP before a possible consolidation of the divisions. crying

--
__ John - nüvi® 660

Re: NY EZPass

This thread has been incredibly helpful for information on getting an out-of-state EZP. As a NJ resident, there is no way I'm paying $18/year in fees by getting an EZP from my own state. But I did want to stay local and get an EZP nearby.

To clear up the confusion about the three NY entities that can issue EZP, I called customer service. Actually, I called three times until I got a rep who was amazing in her knowledge. So this is what I found:

It is true that NYSBA and Thruway do not charge any fees; Port Authority does ($1/month). It is also true that if you go through their individual Web sites, you end up at the same application form.

So how do they determine which EZP (NYSBA, Thruway, Port Authority) you receive when you apply? It's based on geography and other factors, an algorithm that none of the customer service reps know. She was sure that if you're from upstate NY, you'll be given a Thruway EZP; elsewhere in NY or out-of-state, you won't know until you receive the EZP in the mail. So many people have unwittingly gotten stuck with a Port Authority EZP and its accompanying fees.

But she had a great suggestion, which I will try. She said simply to get an EZP On The Go at a retail location (there are many in NY) and then register that EZP on the Web site. Only NYSBA and Thruway EZP are sold in retail locations, so there is no chance you can get stuck with one from Port Authority. No fees whatsoever.

Nice!

acoti wrote:

But she had a great suggestion, which I will try. She said simply to get an EZP On The Go at a retail location (there are many in NY) and then register that EZP on the Web site. Only NYSBA and Thruway EZP are sold in retail locations, so there is no chance you can get stuck with one from Port Authority. No fees whatsoever.

Now THAT's a helpful rep! Sadly, she may wind up being disciplined after they review the call recordings.

While looking at the possible options, I was considering picking one up from a retail location somewhere as well before finally getting it through the MA Fast Lane program, thanks to the helpful responses here.

- Phil

I live in MA and got a NY

I live in MA and got a NY State EZ-Pass many years ago when they still allowed non-residents to get one. I picked it over the MA "Fast Lane" pass because at the time, it was accepted in many more states, was free initially and also free if it ever had to be replaced. (Battery exhausted) MA charged for theirs (no longer the case) and STILL charges you a fee if the xponder conks out and has to be replaced.

Currently, I think if you go on New York's site and try to sign up, once you enter your State info, it bounces you to the MA Fast Lane site.

--
"Primum Non Nocere" 2595LMT Clear Channel and Navteq Traffic

out of state EZpass account.

I live in NY. EZ pass discounts are far and few in between,but the alternative makes a grown man shiver. I also have a FL. Sunpass account.Sunpass is more economical,and the discounts are plenty.

MD trying to hold onto its customers....

For those who are unaware... MD does offer a commuter program for EZ-pass users who happen to be in the Baltimore area... Its significantly cheaper (still the monthly fee/service fee applies) and the plans are TIME-SENSITIVE (in other words you have to use the EZ-pass in select areas within a certain amount of days). But, basically the breakdown is as follows:

Baltimore Region Discount Plan [MDTACMT]: (Fort McHenry Tunnel, Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, Francis Scott Key Bridge, John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway and Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge) Pay $.75 per trip for 50 trips that are valid for 45 days. Because tolls are only collected in one direction at the JFK Highway and Hatem Memorial Bridge, two trips are deducted for each passage.

Bay Bridge - William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial (Bay) Bridge Discount Plan [MDTAWL]: Pay $1.00 per trip for 25 trips that are valid for 45 days.

Bay Bridge Shoppers - William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial (Bay) Bridge Shoppers Discount Plan [MDTABBS]: Pay $2 per trip for 10 trips that can be used Sunday through Thursday and are valid for 90 days.

Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge Discount Plan [MDTAHWN]: Pay $1.00 per trip for 25 trips that are valid for 45 days.

Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge now has a Discount Plan as well.

MD will tax/fee somewhere else

It's all well and good that the People's Republic is giving a commuter break. Doubtless they'll tack on a tax/fee elsewhere to more than make up the difference. Flush tax, gas tax, liquor tax, breathing tax (well, not yet, but give them time).

MARYLAND - What's in Your Wallet? : (

polaris_silvertree wrote:

For those who are unaware... MD does offer a commuter program for EZ-pass users who happen to be in the Baltimore area... Its significantly cheaper (still the monthly fee/service fee applies) and the plans are TIME-SENSITIVE (in other words you have to use the EZ-pass in select areas within a certain amount of days). But, basically the breakdown is as follows:

Baltimore Region Discount Plan [MDTACMT]: (Fort McHenry Tunnel, Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, Francis Scott Key Bridge, John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway and Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge) Pay $.75 per trip for 50 trips that are valid for 45 days. Because tolls are only collected in one direction at the JFK Highway and Hatem Memorial Bridge, two trips are deducted for each passage.

Bay Bridge - William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial (Bay) Bridge Discount Plan [MDTAWL]: Pay $1.00 per trip for 25 trips that are valid for 45 days.

Bay Bridge Shoppers - William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial (Bay) Bridge Shoppers Discount Plan [MDTABBS]: Pay $2 per trip for 10 trips that can be used Sunday through Thursday and are valid for 90 days.

Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge Discount Plan [MDTAHWN]: Pay $1.00 per trip for 25 trips that are valid for 45 days.

Thomas J. Hatem Memorial Bridge now has a Discount Plan as well.

Yes they will - and not much left in my wallet

ericruby wrote:

It's all well and good that the People's Republic is giving a commuter break. Doubtless they'll tack on a tax/fee elsewhere to more than make up the difference. Flush tax, gas tax, liquor tax, breathing tax (well, not yet, but give them time).

MARYLAND - What's in Your Wallet? : (

Yup... since the gas prices have risen so much, You Know Who has moved on to the sales tax. He raised our sales tax from 5% to 6% not long after being elected, now he wants to raise it to 7%!

Fortunately, even the democrats are trying to put the brakes on his tax hikes now but he always finds a way... behind closed doors during another dreaded "special session".

Maryland Fee Is Here to Stay

Phil, I contacted the Maryland DOT when the fee was initially implemented--and they replied noting that the $1.50 fee does not even cover their costs for the transponders. While I am not sure if this is true, I agree that O'Malley never met a fee or tax he does not like. The Maryland EZ Pass fee is not going away.

pquesinb wrote:
mangust wrote:

You're just paying for the privilege of reducing their costs associated with toll-collection personnel....
I doubt it will happen while O'Malley's in office. Now he wants to raise the gas tax.

- Phil

Is Anyone Subscribed To EZ-Pass In A Different State Than Where

I am glad I found this thread. We were in Florida a couple of weeks ago and they had tollroads, but I think it was a different provider. I live in Minnesota and my family and I have considered traveling this summer to Washington DC. It looks like the E Z Pass could be useful for that trip. Does anybody happen to know what other competing providers there are out there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

It looks like we have MnPASS in Minnesota, but I have never used it.

http://www.mnpass.org/

This is what I have found so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_toll_collect...

United StatesNexpress Toll in Michigan at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel [14]
Freedom Pass in Alabama [15] at the following locations:
Tuscaloosa Bypass in Alabama [16]
Montgomery Expressway in Alabama [17]
Emerald Mountain Expressway in Alabama [18]
Beach Express in Alabama [19]
E-Z Pass network (Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, West Virginia): [20]
Fast Lane in Massachusetts [21]
I-Pass in Illinois [22]
i-Zoom in Indiana [23]
Maryland Route 200 uses a combination of E-Z Pass and Automatic License Plate Recognition
Additionally, there is one E-Z Pass lane in Ontario, Canada on the Peace Bridge; this is the only known E-ZPass toll booth outside of the United States, and the only toll booth in Ontario.
SunPass network (Florida): [24]
E-PASS in Orlando, Florida [25]
LeeWay in Lee County, Florida [26]
O-PASS in Osceola County, Florida [27]
TxTAGnetwork (Texas): [28]
TollTag in Dallas, Texas [29]
EZ TAG in Houston, Texas [30]
AutoExpreso in Puerto Rico
C-Pass in Key Biscayne, Florida [31]
Peach Pass in Atlanta, Georgia [32]
EXpressToll in Colorado [33]
Fastrak in California [34]
Good To Go! in Washington state [35]
K-Tag in Kansas [36]
MnPass in Minnesota [37]
PalmettoPass in South Carolina [38]
Pikepass in Oklahoma [39]
GeauxPass in Louisiana [40]
NC Quick Pass in North Carolina [41]

MD resident MA EZ-Pass

I live in MD and have the MA Fastlane and it works great on the ICC and Bay Bridge where I use it most often.

Ditto on MA Fastlane

dalger3 wrote:

I live in MD and have the MA Fastlane and it works great on the ICC and Bay Bridge where I use it most often.

Did it all online, no fuss, no muss.

Online also

ericruby wrote:
dalger3 wrote:

I live in MD and have the MA Fastlane and it works great on the ICC and Bay Bridge where I use it most often.

Did it all online, no fuss, no muss.

Never been to Mass. Did everything online.

EZ Pass

It would be nice if you could get one standardized pass for all the states, but that would probably involve the government....

Actually...

salleentn wrote:

It would be nice if you could get one standardized pass for all the states, but that would probably involve the government....

I've always been surprised at how many different states and agencies are part of the EZ-Pass network. They really did work together to make that system relatively painless.

--
The Moose Is Loose! nuvi 760

Florida may join

Moose135 wrote:
salleentn wrote:

It would be nice if you could get one standardized pass for all the states, but that would probably involve the government....

I've always been surprised at how many different states and agencies are part of the EZ-Pass network. They really did work together to make that system relatively painless.

Rumor has it that FL is considering integrating their SunPass system up into the EZ Pass system

--
MrKenFL- "Money can't buy you happiness .. But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." NUVI 260, Nuvi 1490LMT & Nuvi 2595LMT all with 2014.4 maps !

Just Popping in!

Hi all. I haven't been around here in a while, but this subject came up today with a co-worker of my wife's and I forgot where I put the spreadsheet comparison I did about a year ago for this thread!

My comparison sheet is here http://www.jd4x4.net/EZPass/, but it's a year old. If someone wants to take it over and post it on their site just send me an email and I'll try to help.

Lately here in MD they put in the InterCounty connector, which doesn't even allow cash..only EZ-Pass. If that's not bad enough, they photograph your tag if you don't have a transponder and send you a bill for the toll plus a 'fee'.

Just to screw us even further, you can't have an EZ-Pass account if you don't use it enough for them! They will cancel it on you. Sweet, eh?

But, they still continue to advertise the toll as the price WITH the pass on their road signs, and they STILL have the obviously bad contract with the EZ Pass system.

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

I guess I lucked out

Signed up in NY years ago. Cancelled and re-signed up in MD once NY started charging a fee. Then when MD started charging a fee I cancelled and opened an account with Peace Bridge in NY (Between NY and Canada). No issues or fees since.

Although used a lot for a few months to visit asick relative in NY and they increased my replenishment amount to $80 (OUCH!). THey changed it back after I called. Watch those statements

I-Pass

I have 2 I-pass transponders I picked up when I drove in Chicago area. They have no maintenance fee and work perfectly at any EZ-pass location. I previously had one from NJ but discovered they had a monthly fee so I dumped them.

With no fees and website access, no complaints about Illinois I-Pass system!

Replenishment Amount

I have a NY EZPass. My amount also went up when my commute changed and I was using toll roads more often. When my usage changed the replenish amount charged to my card gradually went down automatically. I think there have actually been times when it went below the amount it was originally when I signed up($25.00).

--
"Primum Non Nocere" 2595LMT Clear Channel and Navteq Traffic

Are you sure?

JD4x4 wrote:

.... Just to screw us even further, you can't have an EZ-Pass account if you don't use it enough for them! They will cancel it on you. Sweet, eh?....

Did MD change the rules? When I had my transponder, it didn't matter if I used it every day or once a year. The money stayed put in the account and they were happy just to make the interest.

Are you saying if you don't use the transponder for a certain length of time, they will cancel the account? I've not heard this, but I haven't had a People's Republic transponder for a few years.

Thanks!

Only own a Sunpass

In Illinois, but only own a Florida Sunpass (which is only good on Florida tollroads) ... because that is where we spend the winters.

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

Full Time RVer, Domecileed in South Dakota

I have I-Pass in IL with no administrative fees.

--
David Cross Rand McNally RV Tablet 80 Day after day as I try to remember, I find my forgetter working better and better.

VA will start charging fees

I heard on the radio that Virginia will start charging admin fees, likely a dollar a month, probably around July.

things get changed everyday

ericruby wrote:

I heard on the radio that Virginia will start charging admin fees, likely a dollar a month, probably around July.

It is proposed, and can be in effect soon. $1 per transponder, according to below news.

http://www.wric.com/story/17585067/vdot-proposes-monthly-fee...

MD don need no steenkin rules!

ericruby wrote:

Did MD change the rules? When I had my transponder, it didn't matter if I used it every day or once a year. The money stayed put in the account and they were happy just to make the interest.

Are you saying if you don't use the transponder for a certain length of time, they will cancel the account? I've not heard this, but I haven't had a People's Republic transponder for a few years.

Thanks!

They certainly sent my bro-in-law a letter notifying him it was deactivated. Also refunded the balance that was in his account, which was leftover from the autopay minus monthly fees. Now mind you, we may not have used his transponder for 2 years, but I thought it was a sleazy thing since he was paying the fee automatically. I drive him to Dr. appts in his car but also in my family car, which has a transponder on my wife's account. We have used the ICC going to appointments in our car but not his. He wanted his for peace of mind. lol

I don't see anything in the contracts on the web site about minimum use, but I've stopped talking to any one in the Maryland government (bad for my blood pressure), and like I said.. it's dead according to them. I did notice that now if you don't have a transponder on the ICC and they send you a 'video' toll, instead of the $3 'fee' it's 150% of your toll rate!

..blood pressure.
I'm awaiting my MA FastLane transponder.

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

No fees in Virginia but you

No fees in Virginia but you must use the pass at least once every 6 months or the account will be cancelled.

Found it

JD4x4 wrote:

..

I don't see anything in the contracts on the web site about minimum use, ...

Found it.
Maryland EZ-Pass Terms & Conditions
Section V
Para (d) "E-ZPass Maryland may terminate this Agreement and close your Account at any time and for any reason, including inactivity."

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

Ditto

I've had my Virginia E-Z Pass for about six years, and the initial outlay (cash on the account) was not pleasant, but I've NEVER had a fee for anything other than actual tolls.

1 2 3
5 6 7
<<Page 4>>