Blah (765T is toast)

 

Seems my 765T is toast. Works through the car plug but doesn't show the battery meter. I think it did before? Plug it into the puter and all i get is Garmin logo and then white screen, back and forth for 5 minutes or so, then goes black. Disconnect the battery I get nothing. 2460
or 3790? I could buy another 765t or someone here knows whats wrong with this one and it gets fixed or i get a new one. Choices, choices. It has no warranty left on it, and No, i won't waste my time calling Garmin. Sorry Juggernaut.
sad

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Could just be a $19.95 battery

Could just be a $19.95 battery (online price from BatteryShip.com)

Killed my 660's battery by leaving it in the car during those Hot VA summer days. Lasted 10 minutes on it's own, before I replaced it.

Took about 30 minutes for my big fat mechanic's hands to replace it, Battery came with tools.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Before you panic

Before you panic, connect it to the computer with the USB cable and leave it there overnight. If your computer is set to sleep or whatever, switch the computer to Always On first so the USB port remains active. Let us know tomorrow what you find after an overnight charge via the USB connection.

Did you do a re-boot on it?

Speed2 wrote:

Seems my 765T is toast. Works through the car plug but doesn't show the battery meter. I think it did before? Plug it into the puter and all i get is Garmin logo and then white screen, back and forth for 5 minutes or so, then goes black. Disconnect the battery I get nothing. 2460
or 3790? I could buy another 765t or someone here knows whats wrong with this one and it gets fixed or i get a new one. Choices, choices. It has no warranty left on it, and No, i won't waste my time calling Garmin. Sorry Juggernaut.
sad

--
"Backward, turn backward, oh time in your flight, make me a child again, just for tonight."

Bin there

CraigW wrote:

Before you panic, connect it to the computer with the USB cable and leave it there overnight. If your computer is set to sleep or whatever, switch the computer to Always On first so the USB port remains active. Let us know tomorrow what you find after an overnight charge via the USB connection.

Done that

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

nope

Since it only works when i use the car plug-in, never tried it. Didn't seem to make much sense. Wouldn't hurt to try it.

Update: Hard reset doesn't do anything, just come up with the "do u wanna erase the data" and it just freezes.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Now what?

Now it works, no idea what i did. Can't get it to connect to the puter though. Home screens keeps coming up

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Three thoughts

Speed2 wrote:

Now it works, no idea what i did. Can't get it to connect to the puter though. Home screens keeps coming up

First, I'd double check and confirm that the USB port and the USB cable are working.

Once you're satisfied that the cable and port on the computer are good and the GPS is still dead, I'd buy a new battery:

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/064.4.342336246...

Third, if none of this works and you still want it fixed, I'd contact sharc-net and see what they'd charge to fix it:

http://www.sharc.net/gps_repair.htm

Fourth (a bonus thought), you could reconsider your thoughts and contact Garmin for advice or a return for repairs--or buy a new GPS.

Does your car have a "hot"

Does your car have a "hot" cigarette (torpedo) socket ... one that stays on even if the car is turned off? (My Silverado does).

Plus your GPS into the socket ... turn it off ... and leave it overnight ... it might recharge the battery.

If you don't have a socket that stays "hot," do the same thing while you commute to and fro for a couple of days.

Make sure you turn off the GPS after plugging it into the car.

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

Recalled?

Have you checked to see if yours was one that was recalled for battery/overheating issues?
https://my.garmin.com/rma/recallLanding.faces

Maybe Garmin wants to give you a new unit for free. mrgreen

--
It's about the Line- If a line can be drawn between the powers granted and the rights retained, it would seem to be the same thing, whether the latter be secured by declaring that they shall not be abridged, or that the former shall not be extended.

chucking it

It will not charge through usb, i have 5 free ports i tried. It sat all day turned off and now the battery is dead. Last night taking it off the car plug i had 75% charge. I just plugged it in again, its just rebooting over and over now.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

.

Now that you have a charge, try a hard reset.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

?

there is no real hard reset?
Bottom right corner, turn it on. Asks if you wanna reset data..hit yes, then it freezes. Did that already..came to life for a bit.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Reset

According to the manual:

Resetting the nuvi
If the nuvi stops functioning, turn off the nuvi, and then turn on the nuvi.

If this does not help, slide the Power key to the left and hold it for 8 seconds. Turn on the nuvi again. The nuvi should operate normally.

Good luck.

RT

--
"Internet: As Yogi Berra would say, "Don't believe 90% of what you read, and verify the other half."

Be Careful

My 760 had the battery problem. I ordered the battery with tools for about $16.00. I'm a skilled technician. Pulled cover off, properly grounded I removed and replaced the battery. Closed everything up and it never worked again. My favorite GPS died while trying to give it a new heart. (Very sad).

This, of course, was 2 months AFTER I purchased a lifetime map subscription for the now dead GPS.

(sigh)

.

If nothing else works maybe try popping off the back and disconnect then reconnect the battery. Probably won't help but doesn't hurt to try.

bin there

done that, ran without battery, put back in. And your right...didn't help. The one thing i did find out with all of this is that its not a battery problem. It charges with it plugged into the Car. It also runs fine when plugged into the Car. It drains super fast when i disconnect it. The usb connection will not charge the battery. Neither can i access the unit through the Usb connection. I've tried many times. When its connected it tells me its charging, and gives me the puter icon, for 10 seconds and then it just boots to the Map screen, which is what i do not want. 5 minutes later the Battery is dead and so is my screen, the garmin icon comes on and goes off and makes a horrible sound till i turn it off.

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

According to the manual:

Thanks
Bin there done that too...no luck

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

New Garmin

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

.

They won't ship that to Canada

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Glad I have a AC adapter

comes on handy, came with my 750 and works on all of ours.

Try an AC adapter

Go to Amazon.com and for a couple of bucks buy an AC adapter. With an adapter, you don't have to futz around trying to charge the battery from your car - you can just plug your Nuvi in at home and try charging it overnight.

On the other hand, you're probably flogging a dead horse. It just might be time for you to bite the bullet and buy a new horse.

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Since the gps works while

Since the gps works while plugged into the car, just dedicate it to be a back-up gps in your car when traveling.

The maps, poi's, etc will be out of date ... but hey, it's better than nothing.

And besides that (and I think most of us would agree) ... any excuse to buy a new gps is a "good thing," right?

"Honey, I really didn't want to spend the money, but my GPS died and as you know, having a functional GPS is a necessity when we travel, not a want."

--
Garmin 205, 260W, 1450LMT, 2460LMT, HEREwego for iPhone ... all still mapping strong.

.

Ac charger didn't work either

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Some truth to that

cbwatts wrote:

And besides that (and I think most of us would agree) ... any excuse to buy a new gps is a "good thing," right?

"Honey, I really didn't want to spend the money, but my GPS died and as you know, having a functional GPS is a necessity when we travel, not a want."

laugh out loud

--
nüvi®3580LMT,nüvi®2598LMT| We do not live in Igloo's, and do not all ride to work on snow mobiles.

Weird.........

dkstl wrote:

My 760 had the battery problem. I ordered the battery with tools for about $16.00. I'm a skilled technician. Pulled cover off, properly grounded I removed and replaced the battery. Closed everything up and it never worked again. My favorite GPS died while trying to give it a new heart. (Very sad).

This, of course, was 2 months AFTER I purchased a lifetime map subscription for the now dead GPS.

(sigh)

Very odd. I'm pretty klutzy and I replaced the battery in my 760 without a problem. Fixed it right up.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S