Map Update (should be cheaper)

 
Page 1>>

Free in most newer models

I agree $89.99 USD for the nüMaps Lifetime is too much for me.

Garmin offers "Free Lifetime traffic" and "Free Lifetime Maps Update" in most of their latest models, I guess you just pay upfront for these services since the prices of these are very high ($500) at least for me.

seen it on far less expensive receivers

puchasr wrote:

Garmin offers ..."Free Lifetime Maps Update" in most of their latest models, I guess you just pay upfront for these services since the prices of these are very high ($500) at least for me.

I've seen free lifetime maps offered on GPSs for under $150 (not much more than the original lifetime map price). This is far from only being available to high end expensive units, and makes it all the more obvious that existing loyal customers are being over charged if they don't see the need to buy new hardware.

Good Marketing

With the present policy (of $100 map updates) people tend to hold on to their GPS units longer without paying for map updates. By introducing life time upgrades with top end units (for now) more people will bite and sales will increase.

--
Wanted -Woman with GPS -send picture of GPS

?

alrom45 wrote:

With the present policy (of $100 map updates) people tend to hold on to their GPS units longer without paying for map updates. By introducing life time upgrades with top end units (for now) more people will bite and sales will increase.

I tend to disagree. Garmin just posted 3rd quarter results and things are not looking good for their PND division. If Garmin doesn't radically change its pricing then I think its PND division will die a pretty quick death.

Smartphones have taken over, and Garmin refuses to accept that basic fact. Roughly 500,000 iphone & android phones are being sold EVERY day. And yet we STILL don't have a Garmin gps app.

Map Prices

I sure would like to have a cheaper map update, but considering the incredible amount of information that is contained in a map of every street in the entire USA, it's probably a fair price. Tons of work goes into updates.
Consider all the hours of work that goes into the data contained on this site, but Garmin doesn't get free labor for creating a map update.
However, when you register your Garmin at the Garmin site, you do get one map update at no charge.

I agree that the smartphone apps are probably the future of vehicle navigation.

reasonable price???

grtlake wrote:

I sure would like to have a cheaper map update, but considering the incredible amount of information that is contained in a map of every street in the entire USA, it's probably a fair price. Tons of work goes into updates.
Consider all the hours of work that goes into the data contained on this site, but Garmin doesn't get free labor for creating a map update.
However, when you register your Garmin at the Garmin site, you do get one map update at no charge.

I agree that the smartphone apps are probably the future of vehicle navigation.

Where is common sense? Lately I can buy new Garmin GPS for $ 99.00 you get new unit with new battery 1 free map update and 1 year warranty, so tell me how can be justified such a high price for map updates??? This is just a way to scoop extra cash from Garmin loyalists who still did not take their blinds off.

--
vk

I guess I got a deal

I paid $249 for my 1490T, with life time maps and traffic. The lifetime maps adds about $50 to the cost of the gps units I looked at, by my estimation.

--
Ted in Ohio, c340, 1490T with lifetime maps

Worthless - TOTALLY WORTHLESS! Tip - save your money!

In my opinion the map updates are pretty much worthless. New roads, highways, Interstates, etc. lag by years. I have NEVER (not even once) had a map update that added or changed anything in which I have seen was incorrect...yet I wasted $$$ in hopes updates would add/change/correct "something". Zip, nada, zilch, nothing - EVER!!!

Just once (ONE TIME EVEN) I would like to have a map update have some value.

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metro area (6+ million population) where there has been a lot of changes and additions over many years - and things that were incorrect many years ago are still incorrect on the latest map.

Worthless - TOTALLY WORTHLESS! Tip - save your money!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Report it

koot wrote:

In my opinion the map updates are pretty much worthless. New roads, highways, Interstates, etc. lag by years. I have NEVER (not even once) had a map update that added or changed anything in which I have seen was incorrect...yet I wasted $$$ in hopes updates would add/change/correct "something". Zip, nada, zilch, nothing - EVER!!!

Just once (ONE TIME EVEN) I would like to have a map update have some value.

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metro area (6+ million population) where there has been a lot of changes and additions over many years - and things that were incorrect many years ago are still incorrect on the latest map.

Worthless - TOTALLY WORTHLESS! Tip - save your money!

Just report the error or missing streets on Garmin's website. they will add it to a future update.

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Map update prices

How can Rand McNally update their data print the map ship it to the retailer sell it for $5-10 and still make money? All Garmin has to do is update their data and send it over the net.

Navteq, not Garmin does the map changes

Navteq licenses the maps and updates to Garmin which passes them on to the consumer after formatting the data to the Garmin map organization.

Navteq has people employed that mine data and others that drive collection vehicles to update road mapping. How many people do you think it takes to do this for the entire US & Canada?

I have no idea either. I don't understand how anyone can claim that Navteq or Garmin can give their mapping away and still remain in business.

I wonder why you care about the price of the updates if you claim they are worthless.

And I HATE posts that use a few dollar signs rather than spelling out "money". It is only 5 characters.

Lifetime map updates are not $100. Amazon prices vary between $70 and $85.

--
Zumo 550 & Zumo 665 My alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Apples and Oranges

griff1952 wrote:

How can Rand McNally update their data print the map ship it to the retailer sell it for $5-10 and still make money? All Garmin has to do is update their data and send it over the net.

IMO it is cheap enough, Amazon has it for $68.99, if you divide the cost by one year worth of updates it comes to 19¢ a day, with subsequent years costing $0.00

In comparison Rand McNally’s book is around $10.17 at Amazon divided by a year comes to 0.3¢ a day, every day for as long as you continue to buy the book, the book doesn’t have the POI the Garmin update has, also the book needs your continuous participation for door to door directions.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

just say it, Garmin want what they can get away with

You can buy the Delorme software for far less. And you can even buy the Delorme software for less with GPS hardware. And Delorme even manufactures and packages something physical to send you, something that you can use even if your current computer dies and you replace it. Garmin wants you to download it (at extremely minimal cost to them) so all they do is sell data, and if your GPS dies the lifetime is over. And yes, the Delorme software includes POIs and they can't be worse than the ones that Garmin ships out.

One can make excuses for Garmin all they want, or use crazy math to give the price per second or price per bit, but the bottom line is that Delorme provides a lot more for a lot less. They don't sell a subscription (as far as I know), but at their price you could buy several years of updates for less than a Garmin subscription.

The only reason why Garmin's maps cost as much as they do is that they consider their loyal customers to be fair game and will charge them what they figure they can get away with, and the customers can't use other software on a Garmin GPS. Delorme has to stay competitive in its market, or lose customers to Microsoft and others.

Which one?

I don't want a laptop in my car, handheld units with 2.5" screens are not of much use for my old eyes while driving in my car.

I plan on keeping any GPS for around 5 or 6 years and want to update maps once a year. I don't want to spend more than around $15 per year for updates.

Unless I am missing something, I do not see anything at www.delorme.com that fits my personal needs.

Which Delorme standalone with on the road capability with a decent screen size will cost less than than a Garmin over a 5 year period?

Maps Should Be Cheaper

griff1952 wrote:

Map updates should be cheaper.

I found one on the web for $69.95 and so have other people look at previous post about life time maps,on this site.

Keep watching here.... I

Keep watching here.... I found out Amazon had a sale on lifetime maps by watching this forum....

I forgot if it was $79 or $74, but it was less.... and a few updates, the cost is worthwhile!

--
A 2689LMT in both our cars that we love... and a Nuvi 660 with Lifetime Maps that we have had literally forever.... And a 2011 Ford Escape with Nav System that is totally ignored!

Worthless

jmatt wrote:

Just report the error or missing streets on Garmin's website. they will add it to a future update.

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

Many, many road changes/errors have been reported for years all to no avail.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

On 11/5/2010 it was $64.67

On 11/5/2010 it was $64.67 on Amazon. I posted this information on a different thread.

--
Nuvi 255W

crazy math...

flaco wrote:
griff1952 wrote:

How can Rand McNally update their data print the map ship it to the retailer sell it for $5-10 and still make money? All Garmin has to do is update their data and send it over the net.

IMO it is cheap enough, Amazon has it for $68.99, if you divide the cost by one year worth of updates it comes to 19¢ a day, with subsequent years costing $0.00

In comparison Rand McNally’s book is around $10.17 at Amazon divided by a year comes to 0.3¢ a day, every day for as long as you continue to buy the book, the book doesn’t have the POI the Garmin update has, also the book needs your continuous participation for door to door directions.

I just call this crazy math and that's only way you can justify any ripoff you want...wake up...ripoff justifiers... today's customer is not stupid...and for those who already purchased updates it is a way to somehow ease off bad deal feelings...

--
vk

Google is your friend

According to Google Amazon wants $68.99 currently.

Google says buy.com 4 cents cheaper.

I can't wait to hear about all the......................

vk55 wrote:

I just call this crazy math and that's only way you can justify any ripoff you want...wake up...ripoff justifiers... today's customer is not stupid...and for those who already purchased updates it is a way to somehow ease off bad deal feelings...

I can't wait to hear about all the errors Garmin has corrected as well as all the new roads, additions and changes that Garmin will have in this latest update. rolleyes

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Crazy math?

Oh crap not you again!
I promise next time I’ll make it easier for the mathematically challenged.
We can see your kind often working at fast food restaurants unable to make change if the cash register is down.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7 - Toyota Entune NAV

@flaco...

Dude, some people will never get it, and for those that don't, I consider in the same league as the Amish.

I've never had a paper map give me door-to-door directions. Ever. Or, tell me when and where I need to turn, at night in a strange city.

And, I never have to pull over, and turn on the interior lights either to try to figure out where I am. What *&^$ page was I on? Wait a minute! What happened to that page, period? It's missing!

Nor do they tell me exactly where I am on my route, and how long until I get there. The nearest gas station if I need fuel, or a bite to eat? Never heard a peep from a paper map yet...

If I make a wrong turn, I can re-route, or follow my track back.

Yep, my GPS map updates aren't worth it at all... /sarcasm

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

alternative

buy anew gps. Maps are created by another company so every hand has to be fed. But look how much time and cost is involved to crate the maps. I know what your saying but everyone has to be paid and guess where it comes from? Not preaching to the choir but that's life.

--
John_nuvi_

@ flaco

flaco wrote:

Oh crap not you again!
I promise next time I’ll make it easier for the mathematically challenged.
We can see your kind often working at fast food restaurants unable to make change if the cash register is down.

Your's math, probably, might be the argument for mentally challenged...and...the ones who don't know value of money...(obviously, except of those who are willing to pay any price, because it's their hobby)

--
vk

Value is what ever is Percieved

I have a couple of Garmins One I has maps that are a couple of years old. The other has the lifetime updates. The newest and best tends to have more accurate exit ramps. ( They change a lot around here)
I don't really believe there is much real reason to update every quarter except there is some satisfaction in having the latest and greatest. Perhaps things like Junction views will be added at a faster rate.

--
Observations of a Yankee in Galveston, TX libertysblog.com

Changes

koot wrote:

I can't wait to hear about all the errors Garmin has corrected as well as all the new roads, additions and changes that Garmin will have in this latest update. rolleyes

They corrected several streets in my neighborhood.

I find that absolutely amazing!

Panache wrote:

They corrected several streets in my neighborhood.

I find that absolutely amazing! Not that I don't believe you - it's just that I find it terribly hard to believe.

There are major highways and Interstate changes/additions/alterations that have been finished for years that have not been updated.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Why?

vk55 wrote:

Your math probably might be the argument for "mentally challenged". That and the ones who don't know the value of money, with the exception of those who are willing to pay any price because it's their hobby.

Ok, you've declared Flaco's math crazy. You've said it in two different ways now, so I now ask the question that begs to be asked.

Why is Flaco's math crazy?

I don't expect you to answer, given how your first post to Flaco was nothing more than an "attack the poster" post and rant all in one. But, explain it to me how his math is crazy, because from the viewpoint of someone who can actually count back change without requiring a register, his math is sound.

Lifetime Map Update - Initial Purchase
$.19/day x 365 days = $69.35 (Flaco rounded his figures, thus the $.36 discrepancy.)

Lifetime Map Update - Subsequent Years
$.00/day x 365 days = $0.00/year (Buy once, use until the GPS dies.)

Road Atlas - Initial Purchase
$.03/day x 365 days = $10.95 (Again, Flaco rounded his figures.)

Road Atlas - Subsequent Years
$.03/day x 365 days = $10.95/year

That road atlas is limited in the information that it can display on the page and be legible. Therefore you will not find the nearest bank, eatery, or gas station in the road atlas like you can on a GPS. Plus, the road atlas cannot route you to your destination. You'd have to use your head and determine a route.

In fact, the only way you could even approach the versatility of a GPS in the era before their widespread adoption was utilizing a AAA Tripwizard. You couldn't update the Tripwizard either without buying a new one every year, since the Tripwizard firmware was on a ROM and not flash memory.

The only advantage of a road atlas over a map update is that its initial cost is less ($11 versus $70). Of course, you get what you pay for.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

An alternative

griff1952 wrote:

Map updates should be cheaper.

I should have more money, in fact I should be one of the wealthiest persons in the world. I would also like to have wings, be able to play golf as well as the PGA tour professionals, and be a power forward for the Lakers.

The stock market should also go up, not down - while I'm thinking of things that "should be."

But I imagine Garmin is trying to come up with a business model that works for them, and the company makes money. What a disgusting idea.

--
Ted in Ohio, c340, 1490T with lifetime maps

3 years free maps would do

3 years free maps would do it nicely. It would be time to get a new unit by then anyways, either for technology improvements or the battery is shot and is too expensive to replace - jsut like cellhones.

As long as we're fantasizing...

computerperson wrote:

3 years free maps would do it nicely.

Yup! And, as a returning Garmin customer, I want a 25% discount on my new unit as well, for a 'Loyalty' bonus. Previous "Proof of Purchase" required, of course on a graduated scale. The longer, the more you get!

rolleyes

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

NAVTEQ responsible?

Isn't NAVTEQ responsible for all these new map updates that are really not updated? All the major GPS companies use NAVTEQ don't they?

You think Garmin updates are expensive?

...check out how much Dodge and Chrysler want for their update disk (also provided by NAVTEQ).

NAVTEQ Direct Price: $ 199.00

I think that some of the complaint is justified, when you consider that Google maps are free, will let you create and modify a route, and print out turn-by-turn directions.

You can get live traffic there, and on the NAVTEQ site.

On WeatherUnderground, you can use their WunderMap to see the weather on your route (their "road trip" feature). Still uses Google Maps as a base.

So if all these "apps" are available to use on a FREE map service, why does Garmin (or NAVTEQ) charge so much for map updates, traffic, and weather services?

math...crazy math...

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

vk55 wrote:

Your math probably might be the argument for "mentally challenged". That and the ones who don't know the value of money, with the exception of those who are willing to pay any price because it's their hobby.

Ok, you've declared Flaco's math crazy. You've said it in two different ways now, so I now ask the question that begs to be asked.

Why is Flaco's math crazy?

I don't expect you to answer, given how your first post to Flaco was nothing more than an "attack the poster" post and rant all in one. But, explain it to me how his math is crazy, because from the viewpoint of someone who can actually count back change without requiring a register, his math is sound.

Lifetime Map Update - Initial Purchase
$.19/day x 365 days = $69.35 (Flaco rounded his figures, thus the $.36 discrepancy.)

Lifetime Map Update - Subsequent Years
$.00/day x 365 days = $0.00/year (Buy once, use until the GPS dies.)

Road Atlas - Initial Purchase
$.03/day x 365 days = $10.95 (Again, Flaco rounded his figures.)

Road Atlas - Subsequent Years
$.03/day x 365 days = $10.95/year

That road atlas is limited in the information that it can display on the page and be legible. Therefore you will not find the nearest bank, eatery, or gas station in the road atlas like you can on a GPS. Plus, the road atlas cannot route you to your destination. You'd have to use your head and determine a route.

In fact, the only way you could even approach the versatility of a GPS in the era before their widespread adoption was utilizing a AAA Tripwizard. You couldn't update the Tripwizard either without buying a new one every year, since the Tripwizard firmware was on a ROM and not flash memory.

The only advantage of a road atlas over a map update is that its initial cost is less ($11 versus $70). Of course, you get what you pay for.

First of all I must say, you mix apples and oranges. Second if you want compare anyway, why did you not incude in your calculations purchase price of GPS device. And third in this thread was discussed unreasonable high price of lifetime map updates that charges Garmin. Just check their website, today's price there is $89.99 and it used to be $119.99 just a few months ago! In my opinion even today's price for updates is still too high.
So please, don't try to impress with your math because everybody can do their own calculations.

--
vk

You know, I could get into a

You know, I could get into a long, drawn-out discussion over this. However, I'm not going to bother doing so. Simply put, I understood what Flaco was saying.

Yet, one thing I do not like is when people go out of their way to avoid answering simple questions. This is something you have done, and it's not the first time I've encountered this from posters on these forums or the rest of the Internet for that matter. One other thing I really cannot stand is having to repeat myself. So answer the question put to you.

Why is Flaco's math crazy?

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

Strephon read...

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

You know, I could get into a long, drawn-out discussion over this. However, I'm not going to bother doing so. Simply put, I understood what Flaco was saying.

Yet, one thing I do not like is when people go out of their way to avoid answering simple questions. This is something you have done, and it's not the first time I've encountered this from posters on these forums or the rest of the Internet for that matter. One other thing I really cannot stand is having to repeat myself. So answer the question put to you.

Why is Flaco's math crazy?

If you are unable figure out what is this all about this fact might help you: Garmin charges for lifetime map updates $ 119.99 now they have it on sale for $89.99. The same lifetime map updates you can buy from different retilers for $69.97 and those still make money on it. If you still cannot get it, that's your problem.

--
vk

Ahhh, so it's sour grapes

Ahhh, so it's sour grapes because Garmin makes a profit off map updates. I understand. I mean, how dare Garmin attempt to function like every other company in the US?

Seriously though, I know what the thread is about, since I read it and participated in it. However, you were the one on this thread claiming Flaco's math was crazy in his comparison between a map update and a road atlas. Since you're unwilling to answer the question I asked you, I have no choice but to conclude that the only reason for the statement was that you didn't like Flaco's response because it is what you didn't want to hear.

Have a nice day smile

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

@Strephon_Alkhalikoi

Strephon_Alkhalikoi wrote:

Ahhh, so it's sour grapes because Garmin makes a profit off map updates. I understand. I mean, how dare Garmin attempt to function like every other company in the US?

Seriously though, I know what the thread is about, since I read it and participated in it. However, you were the one on this thread claiming Flaco's math was crazy in his comparison between a map update and a road atlas. Since you're unwilling to answer the question I asked you, I have no choice but to conclude that the only reason for the statement was that you didn't like Flaco's response because it is what you didn't want to hear.

Have a nice day smile

Excuse me, if I'm getting too personal but you still have a problem to get it!
Every company out there is to make a profit that's obvious, that's why they do the business, but the reality is, if they don't have a reasonable and competitive price, they will loose a customer who would buy a product from them. It doesn't matter what kind of math you use to justify over-priced product.
In conclusion, here is a simple question for you: what's better, smaller profit from each copy sold to many customers, or trying to get big profit from each piece sold and only a few, or no customers...enjoy...and think about it!

--
vk

Hell NO!

Every "for profit" business has a right to make a profit...and I hope they do. However, my view is that the price charged for the product or service needs to be fairly and reasonably priced based on the value the consumer receives in exchange for the money spent. In the case of how much Garmin charges for their map updates - I personally do not think the value is even remotely close to the price they charge.

I don't mind spending money for any product or service I look to purchase, however I do NOT want to pay any amount for something that is almost worthless. The first time I bought a map update it had no corrections for a multitude of new or altered roads, highways and Interstates which had been completed for well over a year. My thoughts were - the changes would certainly be taken care of with the next update. Well, guess what? Five (5) updates later they still weren't corrected! Did I get my money's worth? Did I get a fair and reasonable value in exchange for the money I spent? Hell NO!!! Did I have an unreasonable expectation? Hell NO!!!

The bottom is this...in my opinion. When buying an update from Garmin you have no idea what you will actually receive until "after" you buy it. This unknown should come with a history of impeccable customer service - meaning that road changes are updated within [say] two updates, or six months. Let's face it - the primary reason most consumers buy a GPS is for accurate and up-to-date road directions! It is only reasonable (I believe) for the consumer to expect far better value than what Garmin charges for updates, which are often worthless. Personally I do not appreciate any business charging me for something I [can only] learn after the purchase is worthless, or not reasonably up-to-date. Am I being unreasonable? Hell NO!

In my view, what would be reasonable for Garmin to do is to make available to consumers what was updated, and let the consumer determine if purchasing the map update is worth the price they charge. Sure, such a list would be lengthy, but you know full-well such a list exists. At least the consumer would [then] know before buying the product, what they were (or were not) buying!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

garmin updates

koot wrote:

"...The bottom is this...in my opinion. When buying an update from Garmin you have no idea what you will actually receive until "after" you buy it..."

Problem is, once you've paid for lifetime updates, you've paid for the updates - whether they're useful to you or not. Your only "loss" is loss of time. It takes time to connect, download, reset, etc.

If you're only getting a one-time update, then you're right. You WON'T know what you've got till you're done with the D/L.

Quote:

"...In my view, what would be reasonable for Garmin to do is to make available to consumers what was updated, and let the consumer determine if purchasing the map update is worth the price they charge. Sure, such a list would be lengthy, but you know full-well such a list exists. At least the consumer would [then] know before buying the product, what they were (or were not) buying!

But included in that list would be all the new POI's they've added or removed. Would you base your purchase on those being the "improvements" in the areas you drive?

The real problem is not the

The real problem is not the price of updates, but knowing what has been changed in the update. It's impossible to tell the scope of the update & whether it's really worth the bucks over the lifetime of the GPS unit you are using.

Both NAVTEQ & Garmin, apparently, have no reason to answer this question with a file which even identifies the areas in which updates have occured from the previous map.

It simply ain't worth the bucks for something kept a few years & then replaced without knowing what level of improvement has really been made.

Fred

Little Profit In Updates

vk55 wrote:

Excuse me, if I'm getting too personal but you still have a problem to get it!
Every company out there is to make a profit that's obvious, that's why they do the business, but the reality is, if they don't have a reasonable and competitive price, they will loose a customer who would buy a product from them. It doesn't matter what kind of math you use to justify over-priced product.
In conclusion, here is a simple question for you: what's better, smaller profit from each copy sold to many customers, or trying to get big profit from each piece sold and only a few, or no customers...enjoy...and think about it!

Oh no, you're not getting personal. I mean you haven't called me crazy yet.

Speaking from a corporate point of view, which I can easily do, the goal of a business is to be as profitable as possible. Therefore, getting as large a profit as possible is the best option. Yes, I know it doesn't make sense, but you're looking at things from a consumer's point of view. The consumer ALWAYS wants things as inexpensive as possible, and trying to explain how the company comes up with the price they set falls upon deaf ears.

I can guess with reasonable certainty that Garmin does not make much of a profit on map updates. They would rather you buy a new unit because it is more profitable for them, thus they price the map updates to make them unattractive to the average consumer. The simple truth here is that Joe Average isn't going to worry much about his maps being up to date. All he's going to care about is whether the GPS works and whether it gets him from A to B with little fuss. If the GPS doesn't get him from A to B with little fuss, he's more likely to purchase a new GPS than a map update.

It's the GPS enthusiasts who drive the map update market. GPS units with included lifetime updates I believe are for the enthusiasts. For other enthusiasts who want a specific GPS from Garmin, they can purchase the lifetime update and be all set.

Joe Average won't give a damn unless he becomes Joe Enthusiast.

--
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." --Douglas Adams

BINGO!!!

FZbar wrote:

The real problem is not the price of updates, but knowing what has been changed in the update. It's impossible to tell the scope of the update & whether it's really worth the bucks over the lifetime of the GPS unit you are using.

Both NAVTEQ & Garmin, apparently, have no reason to answer this question with a file which even identifies the areas in which updates have occured from the previous map.

It simply ain't worth the bucks for something kept a few years & then replaced without knowing what level of improvement has really been made.

Fred

BINGO!!!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Garmin does show the updates before purchasing

koot wrote:

The bottom is this...in my opinion. When buying an update from Garmin you have no idea what you will actually receive until "after" you buy it. ...

In my view, what would be reasonable for Garmin to do is to make available to consumers what was updated, and let the consumer determine if purchasing the map update is worth the price they charge. Sure, such a list would be lengthy, but you know full-well such a list exists. At least the consumer would [then] know before buying the product, what they were (or were not) buying!

Garmin provides an interactive map where you can check any section to see if the changes you are looking for are made. This is available before purchase. See: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=1456#coverag... which is located in the description for the mapset. Granted, Garmin could make this easier to get to, but it is available.

--
Garmin StreetPilot c530, Mapsource

Third option

vk55 wrote:

In conclusion, here is a simple question for you: what's better, smaller profit from each copy sold to many customers, or trying to get big profit from each piece sold and only a few, or no customers...enjoy...and think about it!

Neither of the above.

The best result for a business is to "hook" customers with an offer too good to pass up and then, when you have your captive audience, milk them continuously for as much money as you can.

Witness......printer ink cartridges and things like cell phone monthly service charges, cable TV, Satelite radio, etc.

I'm surprised that the GPS industry didn't start out with monthly subscription fees for the map software.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

that' reality but...

ka1167 wrote:
vk55 wrote:

In conclusion, here is a simple question for you: what's better, smaller profit from each copy sold to many customers, or trying to get big profit from each piece sold and only a few, or no customers...enjoy...and think about it!

Neither of the above.

The best result for a business is to "hook" customers with an offer too good to pass up and then, when you have your captive audience, milk them continuously for as much money as you can.

Witness......printer ink cartridges and things like cell phone monthly service charges, cable TV, Satelite radio, etc.

I'm surprised that the GPS industry didn't start out with monthly subscription fees for the map software.

Yes! That's fact... but again...strategy based on attracting as many customers as possible, but in case of Garmin's strategy: quality of their latest GPS models keeps lagging, it's about a time to change that tendency, if it's not too late already...and on top of that...the map updates are greatly overpriced.
Lifetime map updates from Garmin are $119.99 now on sale for $89.99 versus $ 69.97 from a different retailer...(the same product who's supplier is Navteq).
I just would like Flaco and Stephon to come up with a "mathematical" formula which could justify this "Good deal" and "great" strategy from Garmin...

--
vk

Why bother?

vk55 wrote:
ka1167 wrote:
vk55 wrote:

In conclusion, here is a simple question for you: what's better, smaller profit from each copy sold to many customers, or trying to get big profit from each piece sold and only a few, or no customers...enjoy...and think about it!

Neither of the above.

The best result for a business is to "hook" customers with an offer too good to pass up and then, when you have your captive audience, milk them continuously for as much money as you can.

Witness......printer ink cartridges and things like cell phone monthly service charges, cable TV, Satelite radio, etc.

I'm surprised that the GPS industry didn't start out with monthly subscription fees for the map software.

Yes! That's fact... but again...strategy based on attracting as many customers as possible, but in case of Garmin's strategy: quality of their latest GPS models keeps lagging, it's about a time to change that tendency, if it's not too late already...and on top of that...the map updates are greatly overpriced.
Lifetime map updates from Garmin are $119.99 now on sale for $89.99 versus $ 69.97 from a different retailer...(the same product who's supplier is Navteq).
I just would like Flaco and Stephon to come up with a "mathematical" formula which could justify this "Good deal" and "great" strategy from Garmin...

Any argument that is put forward would be dismissed by you because you have already made your decision. No amount of logical reasoning would cause you to waiver.

--
Illiterate? Write for free help.

If you want the latest...

If you want the latest maps and your Garmin did not come with Lifetime updates then Garmin says you have to pay.

If you are happy driving into unknown areas with two or three year old data then more power to you.

I did the research so I knew when I bought my Garmin it came with just one free update and if I wanted more Garmin charged for them.

I bought the Lifetime updates last spring, before the price drop, about a year and a half after I bought the Garmin.

If you buy a new GPS every year or two to stay current you are still paying for maps.

Garmin and Navteq are businesses, not charities.

Beg your pardon!

dmcfz30.flylow wrote:

If you want the latest maps and your Garmin did not come with Lifetime updates then Garmin says you have to pay.

If you are happy driving into unknown areas with two or three year old data then more power to you.

I did the research so I knew when I bought my Garmin it came with just one free update and if I wanted more Garmin charged for them.

I bought the Lifetime updates last spring, before the price drop, about a year and a half after I bought the Garmin.

If you buy a new GPS every year or two to stay current you are still paying for maps.

Garmin and Navteq are businesses, not charities.

Beg your pardon! You said; "If you are happy driving into unknown areas with two or three year old data then more power to you." TWO or THREE YEAR OLD (or older) map data is exactly what we are getting [even] when people update as soon as they can!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...
Page 1>>