Posting Quotes....

 

When posting a quote in the forums please make sure that you close it with the proper symbols so that the following posts do not get confusing to read.

Thanks,

Miss POI

I have trouble

Sometimes just tying my shoes.

--
1490LMT 1450LMT 295w

Buy>>>>

spokybob wrote:

Sometimes just tying my shoes.

Loafers wink

--
"You can't get there from here"

Or

Velcro. mrgreen

And for the manly man...

Panache wrote:

Velcro. mrgreen

DUCT TAPE!

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Why bother

a_user wrote:
Panache wrote:

Velcro. mrgreen

DUCT TAPE!

Doesn't matter, I usually don't have them on the right feet anyway!

I remember when I was a kid

I remember when I was a kid in the Pacific Northwest. The in thing to wear to school were loggers boots (no spikes). Those were a pain to lace and tie.

--
John B - Garmin 765T

Superglue

Superglue

I'm confussed . . .

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

--
Looking for a place to go this summer? Try Oshkosh, WI, July 20-26, 2015. The largest gathering of aircraft in the world. http://www.airventure.org/index.html

Better?

bilson wrote:

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Opening and closing quotes

miss poi wrote:

When posting a quote in the forums please make sure that you close it with the proper symbols so that the following posts do not get confusing to read.

Thanks,

Miss POI

Opening qoute

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions."

Closing quote

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Huh?

Turbo wrote:

I

turbo wrote:

do

Turbo wrote:

not

turbo wrote:

get

turbo wrote:

it!

LOL! razz

Quotes (and associated issues)

Is there anyway to view the newest posts first when reading a thread? I have to scroll to the bottom and then select the last page shown and then scroll to the bottom again to read the newest post.

You can

You can go to the last page of a multi page thread without going to the bottom first by clicking on the last page number shown directly under the first post of the thread. A lot of forum software allows you to select to go to the last post but either it doesn't exist in this forum or it hasn't been turned on.

The one thing I don't understand why when you make a post on a multi page thread it takes you back to the first page of the thread once the post is accepted.

Lots of good folks with great ideas here though. grin

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

RE You Can

Thanks. I'm a real novice (some would say a dinosaur) at this stuff, but I enjoy this site - participants seem to be a great bunch of folks overall.

Unread posts.

EARL-M wrote:

Is there anyway to view the newest posts first when reading a thread? I have to scroll to the bottom and then select the last page shown and then scroll to the bottom again to read the newest post.

If you use the "Unread Posts" selection from the menu, it takes you to the new posts in each thread ... even the multi-page ones.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

quotes

miss poi wrote:

When posting a quote in the forums please make sure that you close it with the proper symbols so that the following posts do not get confusing to read.

Thanks,

Miss POI

you mean like this.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

I this she ment!

adcusnret wrote:
miss poi wrote:

When posting a quote in the forums please make sure that you close it with the proper symbols so that the following posts do not get confusing to read.

Thanks,

Miss POI

you mean like this.

actually more like this!

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Unread or recent

EARL-M wrote:

Is there anyway to view the newest posts first when reading a thread?

Try the "unread posts" selection. It works quite good if you "mark the forums read" after each session.

Try the "recent posts" too; you may like it better.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

Dead

a_user wrote:
bilson wrote:

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

But the cat is dead either way!

--
Nuvi 3790LMT, Nuvi 760 Lifetime map, Lifetime NavTraffic, Garmin E-Trex Legend Just because "Everyone" drives badly does not mean you have to.

No animals were harmed in this illustration

onestep wrote:
a_user wrote:
bilson wrote:

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

But the cat is dead either way!

If the cat were dead, how would it meow when you pulled the tail? And if there were no cat, then how can you state it is dead?

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

cat

a_user wrote:
onestep wrote:
a_user wrote:
bilson wrote:

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

But the cat is dead either way!

If the cat were dead, how would it meow when you pulled the tail? And if there were no cat, then how can you state it is dead?

Hey! You just observed the cat meowing and changed the outcome!

--
Nuvi 3790LMT, Nuvi 760 Lifetime map, Lifetime NavTraffic, Garmin E-Trex Legend Just because "Everyone" drives badly does not mean you have to.

You're Confused???

NO. It's the full moon.

This is not telling me how

This is not telling me how to use quotes, it would be nice for someone tell me how, look I'm old and have lost a few cells up top or are they down there. How about a full disclosure on quoting, just for me.

--
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present...

.

Personally, I refrain from quoting those above a reply. And, using 'nested quotes' is a plain PITA to read. Strip the invalid portion by editing it.

This is a nested quote:

onestep wrote:
a_user wrote:
onestep wrote:
a_user wrote:
bilson wrote:

Miss POI was talking about "Quotes" and somehow the topic changed to tying shoes, loafing, Duct Tap & Super Glue . . . maybe the time change is affecting everyone.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."
Albert Einstein

But the cat is dead either way!

If the cat were dead, how would it meow when you pulled the tail? And if there were no cat, then how can you state it is dead?

Hey! You just observed the cat meowing and changed the outcome!

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Quote how to

ShenanigansNZ wrote:

This is not telling me how to use quotes, it would be nice for someone tell me how, look I'm old and have lost a few cells up top or are they down there. How about a full disclosure on quoting, just for me.

You can read about the way quotes are done here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/filter/tips

Scroll down to where you see this text: Quoted content can be placed between .....

Note that the quoting, including nested quotes, occurs automatically when you choose "quote" instead of "reply " at the bottom of the post you want to respond to.

Improper editing of the automatically generated parts is where things can go wrong. For example one or more closing tags may wind up missing and the result is a mess.

I tried quote

before and made a big mess. I don't know if I'll tried it again, not very friendly IMO.

This is a reply to Evert! Sorry but i still don't get it.

Thanks
Lee

Not to worry

lemaneu sorrowfully wrote:

.... This is a reply to Evert! Sorry but i still don't get it.
....

I assume that you followed the link and read the instructions.

If you did, and still do not understand it - don't sweat it. There are two kinds of posters: those that do quotes and those that do not. You can simply be one of the latter kind.

To make it simple

If you want to directly quote a poster, click the 'Quote' on that post.

If you click 'Quote' on a post, that has other quote(s), you will get a nested quote, that is, the previous quotes within your quote.

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

I did!

Evert, I followed the link and more confused I got. LOL!
Whish my father was still around, he was good with HTML. I miss you Dad!

Thanks again Evert!

Lee

My pleasure

lemaneu wrote:

....Thanks again Evert!

Lee

You are welcome. smile

Like this?

Juggernaut wrote:

If you want to directly quote a poster, click the 'Quote' on that post.

If you click 'Quote' on a post, that has other quote(s), you will get a nested quote, that is, the previous quotes within your quote.

I hope I did it!

That's it

You pass! wink

--
nüvi 3790T | nüvi 775T | Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable ~ JFK

Thank you!

Evert and Juggernut for the today's lesson.

Job well done guys!

Lee

[quote] ... stuff ... [/quote]

lemaneu wrote:

I hope I did it!

Indeed you did. If you wanted to put stuff in "quotes" yourself just for emphasis, then here is the procedure.

Start with the character string "left bracket" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket". This identifies each collection of words that you wish to make a "quote" that will be enclosed in a gray box. Then end with the character string "left bracket" "/" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket" to identify that you are finished with that collection of words.

Note that the title of my post is the way the character strings look when you type them within a posting. I can do them in the title because the title does not allow "quoting"

Even though old

jgermann wrote:
lemaneu wrote:

I hope I did it!

Indeed you did. If you wanted to put stuff in "quotes" yourself just for emphasis, then here is the procedure.

Start with the character string "left bracket" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket". This identifies each collection of words that you wish to make a "quote" that will be enclosed in a gray box. Then end with the character string "left bracket" "/" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket" to identify that you are finished with that collection of words.

Note that the title of my post is the way the character strings look when you type them within a posting. I can do them in the title because the title does not allow "quoting"

This thread is old with good information and great intertainment!! grin

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Last page

EARL-M wrote:

Is there anyway to view the newest posts first when reading a thread? I have to scroll to the bottom and then select the last page shown and then scroll to the bottom again to read the newest post.

Actually, the pages (if more than 1) are also under the first post. You can select the last page there.

When the page appears, hold down the "Ctrl" key and then press the "End" key. It's near the "Delete" key (depending on your keyboard style). This will take you directly to the bottom of the page that is currently displayed.

That's a quick way to to the newest post that you have never visited before.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Awesome!

jgermann wrote:
lemaneu wrote:

I hope I did it!

Indeed you did. If you wanted to put stuff in "quotes" yourself just for emphasis, then here is the procedure.

Start with the character string "left bracket" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket". This identifies each collection of words that you wish to make a "quote" that will be enclosed in a gray box. Then end with the character string "left bracket" "/" "q" "u" "o" "t" "e" "right bracket" to identify that you are finished with that collection of words.

Note that the title of my post is the way the character strings look when you type them within a posting. I can do them in the title because the title does not allow "quoting"

Thank you JGermann!

@ JGERMANN

Just a thought but questions pertaining to quotes can perhaps become exercise 8 wink

--
Nüvi 255WT with nüMaps Lifetime North America born on 602117815 / Nüvi 3597LMTHD born on 805972514 / I love Friday’s except when I’m on holidays ~ canuk

Me Too

spokybob wrote:

Sometimes just tying my shoes.

That's why I use Velcro! confused

--
Bob: My toys: Nüvi 1390T, Droid X2, Nook Color (rooted), Motorola Xoom, Kindle 2, a Yo-Yo and a Slinky. Gotta have toys.