Help new guy (where POI files show on the GPS)

 

Hello all

I'm new at this! Just downloaded and installed POI "Military Campgrounds" via the Garmin POI loader and I can not find any of the POIs I downloaded on the GPS. Is there something else I need to do?

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

In the future, let us know

In the future, let us know which unit you have.
Most Garmins are:

Where to? -> Extras -> Custom POIs

Be sure to check the FAQ here too.
Welcome to the group!!!

--
Nuvi 2595 & 760 | http://www.chucksphotospot.com

Where to - Extras - Custom

Where to - Extras - Custom POI's

Not sure which gps you have.

Not sure which gps you have. They will not be listed in favorites. Try looking in :

Where to? > Extras > Custom POIs

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/1376

885t

smile Thanks all! They are not there in the custom POIs. Can I find them in the using a file search of the 885t GPS memory?

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

Not really

They should be inside a file /garmin/poi/poi.gpx on the Nuvi but you won't be able to look in that file. If the file exists then you should see them by using the method other have posted here.

--
Nuvi 350, 760, 1695LM, 3790LMT, 2460LMT, 3597LMTHD, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, DriveSmart 61, Garmin Backup Camera 40 and TomTom XXL540s.

My first thought is ....

wb5ldn wrote:

smile Thanks all! They are not there in the custom POIs. Can I find them in the using a file search of the 885t GPS memory?

If you dont see them under Custom Pois, are you 100% sure you pointed the download to the Nuvi, and not some other place? Might be just an honest mistake that I've made in the past.

Also, when you used POI loader, did you get a confirmation that Poi's had been loaded once it was done?

If the answer is yes, see if rebooting the Nuvi will help.

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

On the Garmin 885T you need to force a reboot to see new POI's

On the Garmin 885T you must either remove the battery and reinstall or hold the switch in the off position for about 10 seconds then the newly installed custom POI's will load. You must do this each time you load new custom POI's.

When you remove the battery and reinstall you will not loose any settings or favorites other than the voice will default back to Jill.

Then check for them as detailed above. Same thing happened to me when I first got my 885T till I learned the reboot trick. This also applies to the 855 model.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Downloaded again

The loader found the 885t, loader confirmed download, rebooted. still no custom POIs? I'll try downloading a different file.

Thanks

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

That is just a warm boot you must do a cold boot

wb5ldn wrote:

The loader found the 885t, loader confirmed download, rebooted. still no custom POIs? I'll try downloading a different file.

Thanks

That is just a warm boot you must do a cold boot by removing and reinstalling the battery to get them to show.

The 8x5 series goes into a sleep mode instead of actually shutting off like the other series. Unless you remove the battery it never completely shuts down, just sleeps.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Thank you, Thank you!

That was it! Hard reboot found the the POIs.

Hope I can help someone later, when I know more. Looking forward to learning more about this GPS.

Thanks again grin grin , George

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

Cant live on thanks....

wb5ldn wrote:

That was it! Hard reboot found the the POIs.

Hope I can help someone later, when I know more. Looking forward to learning more about this GPS.

Thanks again grin grin , George

Send rj and myself each a quarter:)

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

Head Scratching

rjrsw wrote:
wb5ldn wrote:

The loader found the 885t, loader confirmed download, rebooted. still no custom POIs? I'll try downloading a different file.

Thanks

That is just a warm boot you must do a cold boot by removing and reinstalling the battery to get them to show.

I've seen this same instruction given to 885t users before in these posts. I usually don't ask these kinds of "why" questions, but what was Garmin thinking by designing a GPS that requires the battery to be popped out just to recognize a new custom POI file? Is there some advantage? Something I'm missing? It just seems like such an inconvenience to have to pop the battery every time you run POI Loader.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Rayzers you sure work cheap!

Rayzers wrote:
wb5ldn wrote:

That was it! Hard reboot found the the POIs.

Hope I can help someone later, when I know more. Looking forward to learning more about this GPS.

Thanks again grin grin , George

Send rj and myself each a quarter:)

Rayzers you sure work cheap! laugh out loud

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Its a fire drill Gary....

Gary A wrote:
rjrsw wrote:
wb5ldn wrote:

The loader found the 885t, loader confirmed download, rebooted. still no custom POIs? I'll try downloading a different file.

Thanks

That is just a warm boot you must do a cold boot by removing and reinstalling the battery to get them to show.

I've seen this same instruction given to 885t users before in these posts. I usually don't ask these kinds of "why" questions, but what was Garmin thinking by designing a GPS that requires the battery to be popped out just to recognize a new custom POI file? Is there some advantage? Something I'm missing? It just seems like such an inconvenience to have to pop the battery every time you run POI Loader.

It gives all users practice removing the battery cover and dumping out the battery, just in case, in the future Garmin finds that the cheap batteries they purchased from China may begin to smolder, like they did in some laptops:)

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

...

rjrsw wrote:
Rayzers wrote:
wb5ldn wrote:

That was it! Hard reboot found the the POIs.

Hope I can help someone later, when I know more. Looking forward to learning more about this GPS.

Thanks again grin grin , George

Send rj and myself each a quarter:)

Rayzers you sure work cheap! laugh out loud

Oh, did I forget to type in "of a million"?

--
You can walk a horse to water, but a pencil has to be led.

POI

I couldn't find my download to Custom POI. I rebooted the GPS 855 and there they were, now I have two files in the GPS, How do I delete one of the files.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD

When you reinstall custom POI's the file is replaced

rthibodaux wrote:

I couldn't find my download to Custom POI. I rebooted the GPS 855 and there they were, now I have two files in the GPS, How do I delete one of the files.

Don't worry. When you reinstall custom POI's the file is replaced each time and all custom POI's in the default POI directory in the computer are reinstalled into the GPS unit each time you run it. It doesn't add to the file in the GPS it completely replaces it.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

I'm not so certain

rjrsw wrote:
rthibodaux wrote:

I couldn't find my download to Custom POI. I rebooted the GPS 855 and there they were, now I have two files in the GPS, How do I delete one of the files.

Don't worry. When you reinstall custom POI's the file is replaced each time and all custom POI's in the default POI directory in the computer are reinstalled into the GPS unit each time you run it. It doesn't add to the file in the GPS it completely replaces it.

If POILoader was used, then the existing GPI file would get overwritten but a native GPX file was copied to the unit so it may have to be manually deleted by going into the unit using Windows Explorer or some similar program.

Also, for the 8x5 users, holding the power switch to the left for up to 10 seconds will also force a reboot when the switch is released.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

rebooting

On my 650 when i load the poi's and then use the disconnet hardware icon and i have to restart the gps to find the poi's but right now i am on a laptop with vista and i dont see that icon. Never noticed it before, but i dont use the laptop that much for loading poi's. will have to try it and see what happens,

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

POI Packages

I see POI packages that have ICON and sound, along with proximity alerts stuff. Where can I find info how all this works?

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

Getting Started

You are in the right place. A good place to start is the "Getting Started" link next to the Search button at the top of your window.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Welcome wb5ldn

You've found the right place to get answers and maybe even learn some things about your nuvi that you haven't even thought about yet.

Once you've digested the Getting Started and FAQ here and have developed a familiarity with with your GPSr, you might want to check this other web page out (don't try to read it all at one time). Gary is one of our regular contributors and has complied an impressive list of Tips and Tricks.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Oh, Well...

Rayzers wrote:

It gives all users practice removing the battery cover and dumping out the battery, just in case, in the future Garmin finds that the cheap batteries they purchased from China may begin to smolder, like they did in some laptops:)

That explains it then! Makes perfect sense now. rolleyes How silly of me not to have figured that out on my own. laugh out loud

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Error with Love's Travel Stop download

Don't know how you let people know of problems with POI downloads but the Love's Travel Stop XL spread sheet has title info in the first data line that caused error in the POI loader. I deleted the 1st line and all worked well. Please pass on to the author so the change can be made.

This is a great sight! Spent most of the day here and now I'm in total information overload. Thanks to all who have contributed and I hope I can be helpful in the future. grin

--
The new kid on then block. dezl new owner.

He may see the post but the

He may see the post but the best way is use the contact tab.When you go to the file http://www.poi-factory.com/node/769 for Loves you will see submitted by.Just click on the name and it will take you to the contact tab.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

POI

I don't have to take the battery out evey time that I download a POI, just push the power button to the left and hold, will do the same as a hard reboot. I have a Garmin GPS 855. I hope Garmin can put out a fix on this. After many days trying to download POI and reading this forum I am getting it right on downloading. You can put a GPX and a csv file in the same folder and using poi loader will put both files in the Custom POI. Just did it.

--
3790LMT; 2595LMT; 3590LMT, 60LMTHD