Moab Utah - Rainbow Terrace Trail
Raw file: c10_rainbow_terrace.gpx (3.04 KB)
Few OHV experiences can rival the fun of riding an ATV in Utah’s Moab backcountry. An endless variety of undulating and challenging terrain combined with spectacular scenery provide an unforgettable experience.
It’s easy to find your way around the small town of Moab. Main St (Hwy 191) runs north and south all the way through town. Center St and Main St, where Moab Information Center is located, marks the center of town. If you need lodging or camping, it is a good idea to call well in advance.
There are several places in Moab to rent ATV’s. Check www.discovermoab.com/autorental.htm for latest information or just drive down Main St. You should check Utah’s OHV Laws (http://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/ohv) or call 800-648-7433.
Using your GPS for each trail
I have included Way Points for the trail. Also, in the description below, I have included complete instructions on the trail. I would print or copy the instructions off if you plan on using these Way Points.
Rainbow Terrace Trail
Highlights: A short trail, but fun when combined with other trails in the area. Memorable views and unusual colors or rock layers. Don’t forget your camera. If you have time, as you’re coming in, go a few hundred feet north to see Dubinky Well, just before you turn left on Spring Canyon Point Road. Most of the trail is easy except for the mile-long stretch across the rocky terrace. There is one steep, rocky ledge that you must come down that will intimidate novice riders.
Getting There: From Moab, drive north on Hwy 191 about 9 miles and turn left on Hwy. 313 towards Canyonlands National Park. Go 8.5 miles and turn right on Dubinky Well Road after the third view area. Stay right at 1.4 miles (easy to miss) where Spring Canyon Bottom Road goes straight. Go another 4.9 miles and turn left on Spring Canyon Point Road just before Dubinky Well. Go about 2 miles to the base of The Needles, where you can park on either side of the road.
- Staging (mile 0) – Continue west on Spring Canyon Point Road from the Needles
- WP1 (miles 1.6) – Bear right on Dripping Springs Road.
- (miles 4.2) – Bear left at fork.
- (miles 4.4) – Turn right on Levi Well Road.
- WP2 (miles 4.8) – Turn right off Levi Well Road onto lessor road that heads south.
- (miles 0.7) – Stay right on road.
- (miles 0.8) – Road drops into wash, then weaves in and out of wash for several miles.
- WP3 (miles 4.1) – Turn left at fork.
- (miles 4.3) – Leave sandy section and begin climb up to rocky terrace.
- (miles 4.6) – Pass between two giant boulders and follow cairns across terrace.
- (miles 4.8) – Trail descends steeply off rocky terrace. Study ledge carefully to determine easiest way down.
- (miles 5.1) – Stay right as you join another road. Follow cairns across open slickrock.
- (miles 6.1) – Road becomes sandy again.
- Staging (mile 6.4) – Arrive back at starting point.