new & interesting places for your GPS

Bad routing on Garmin Nuvi 750 or all Nuvi's

 

I have a Garmin 750 and the routing on it is entirely different than my older C320. The 750 will basically avoid major highways and take secondary roads to most locations out of the GTA northbound. I have set the route to both Faster Time and Shortest Distance and it doesn't make any difference. Also I have set the exceptions to include everything but Highways and still no difference. I have also turned Exceptions off and still it takes all the back roads. I like to travel main highways where possible and this thing is basically useless for this purpose. Anybody else experiencing this? Have contacted Garmin to no avail.

.

Which map and software version do you have on the unit?

Also, can you provide more details on the location where its avoiding highways. Maybe provide sample starting and ending addresses. Then others could test the route on their units and see if they get the same results.

I have seen some odd routers on mine... but they are minimal

Every once in a while I get a few odd routes... some that don't make any sense at all but it is minimal.

One that blows me away is in Nashville... instead of turning left off the main hiway into the office complex... it has me turn right into a small neighborhood and winds me two blocks back out to the main road. Very weird...

--
nuvi 750 / nuvi 255W / nuvi 200W / nuvi 1390t

Bad Routing on Nuvi 750

I just got a 760 (same exc. has Bluetooth) on eBay and so far haven't noticed what you are seeing. Like others say, sometimes there are quirky routings but usually the Faster/Shorter settings and Avoidances are honored.

As a new purchaser I was entitled to "2010" maps so now have those installed as well as latest software (4.80) which just came out less than a week ago.

Do you have Webupdater installed? Download it from the Garmin site and install it, then run it with your GPS attached to the computer, and it will tell you about updated GPS software and allow you to install it, as well as optional files such as voices and vehicles.

Bernie

--
Bernie - Garmin Nuvi 760 (used to have 350 & 360)

Trash Ecoroute

charlie876 wrote:

I have a Garmin 750 and the routing on it is entirely different than my older C320. The 750 will basically avoid major highways and take secondary roads to most locations out of the GTA northbound. I have set the route to both Faster Time and Shortest Distance and it doesn't make any difference. Also I have set the exceptions to include everything but Highways and still no difference. I have also turned Exceptions off and still it takes all the back roads. I like to travel main highways where possible and this thing is basically useless for this purpose. Anybody else experiencing this? Have contacted Garmin to no avail.

You have ecoroute turned on. Trash it.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Doubtful

a_user wrote:
charlie876 wrote:

I have a Garmin 750 and the routing on it is entirely different than my older C320. The 750 will basically avoid major highways and take secondary roads to most locations out of the GTA northbound. I have set the route to both Faster Time and Shortest Distance and it doesn't make any difference. Also I have set the exceptions to include everything but Highways and still no difference. I have also turned Exceptions off and still it takes all the back roads. I like to travel main highways where possible and this thing is basically useless for this purpose. Anybody else experiencing this? Have contacted Garmin to no avail.

You have ecoroute turned on. Trash it.

Doubtful, as the nuvi 750 doesn't support ecoroute.

Maybe Traffic

It may be avoiding Traffic...I had a 650 and it would avoid the highway..until I noticed it was avoiding traffic.

--
Dave_ Nuvi 660 , 760,1490LMT Wooster, Ohio

Maybe....

charlie876 wrote:

Also I have set the exceptions to include everything but Highways and still no difference.

Highways=main roads=interstates

Not sure from your wording but if you have it set to exclude highways, THAT is the problem.

--
Magellan Maestro 4250// MIO C310X

Couldn't have said it

Couldn't have said it better.

--
JG - Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 2460

Bad Routing

Had the same problem and found my Garmin was set for "Bicycle" usage mode. Mode is set under Tools/Settings/System. I changed to "Vehicle" and low and behold, it now would route me on highways!

Excluding

Sounds like your exclude is setup wrong.

Bad routing

Go to the avoidance menu and see if you have Highway check box checked. If so de-select

--
Garmin Nuvi 260W Garmin Nuvi 1490T If you think knowledge is expensive, try ignorance.

same thing hsppens eith nuvi 1300

I bought Garmin nuvi 1300. On routes I'm familiar with takes me side roads that major highways. Have it fastest route, no exceptions. I feel I can't trust it on unfamiliar roads.

NUVI40

MaryBlue wrote:

I bought Garmin nuvi 1300. On routes I'm familiar with takes me side roads that major highways. Have it fastest route, no exceptions. I feel I can't trust it on unfamiliar roads.

My NUVI40 does the same thing. I think it is either that it cannot take into account traffic lights, or else it does not compare enough different routes before presenting you with one.

--
NUVI40 Kingsport TN

1490T no problems

I have not experienced any odd routing so far on my 1490t

Double check

MaryBlue wrote:

I bought Garmin nuvi 1300. On routes I'm familiar with takes me side roads that major highways. Have it fastest route, no exceptions. I feel I can't trust it on unfamiliar roads.

It's always worth a 2nd look to confirm your mode of travel (Auto/Bicycle/Pedestrian) is set to automobile and that no Avoidances are set. Settings that avoid Traffic/Tolls/Ferries can have very substantial effects that send you down routes that make little sense.

One other suggestion, Mary. If your nuvi is new, have you checked for a map update that might include new streets? The current map version is 2013.10 and if your device is still within its free onetime map update period, you can get it at no cost.

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 10 users and 64 guests online.

Online users

  • 350Zee
  • edserrano
  • mazel
  • RBM53
  • mgarledge
  • Houdini1
  • stonecoldhd
  • WAASup
  • jfossy
  • stonecoldhd