Custom POI Files

 

When I create my own POI files they are exactly what I want. Just the basic information:

Name
Address
Phone Number

When I download other people's files, I am noticing that although the ".csv" file doesn't show it, there is extra information showing up on my unit.

ie:

Name
Alert:
Distance:
etc.
Address

How can I edit these files to show only the basic information that I want/need!?!?

--
Aaron Grames

Editing the .csv file

the best way is to open the file in excel and remove the unwanted columns or add the additional information you want. you can also edit the file in notepad.

Extra POI Editor

algrames wrote:

When I create my own POI files they are exactly what I want. Just the basic information:

Name
Address
Phone Number

When I download other people's files, I am noticing that although the ".csv" file doesn't show it, there is extra information showing up on my unit.

ie:

Name
Alert:
Distance:
etc.
Address

How can I edit these files to show only the basic information that I want/need!?!?

If you use Extra POI Editor from TurboCC you can build a CSV file by specifying which columns to include.

http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

.

Also, if the "Alert" and "Distance" headers are showing and if you don't want an alert be sure that

1) you didn't set an alert with Manual Mode in POI Loader

2) you don't have any numbers in the file name (ie 1, 2, 3, etc), and

3) you don't have any special keywords in the file name (ie redlight, speed, camera, etc) which cause an alert to be created.

Unix Folks

ICURALADY wrote:

the best way is to open the file in excel and remove the unwanted columns or add the additional information you want. you can also edit the file in notepad.

If you ever used UNIX vi you can use vim, if you download it. Then you can edit the file on your pc like you would a file in Unix.

Update

When I open my file in either Excel or notepad and try to delete the extra information, there isn't any of the information I am looking for showing.

All I can see is my basic information.

But then when I go back into my unit it is showing:

Alert Information:
Distance: 1319ft
Speed: 19mpgh

I Cant find where this info is so that I can delete it!

WHy would I need/want the "Speed" alert information?

--
Aaron Grames

.

What is the name of your file?
(I'm guessing that there is a 19 in the file name)

As MM noted in her post above, digits in the file name trigger a speed alert.

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

?

With a csv file, the alert info is not stored in the file, unless it is a function of the name of the file (using keywords or numbers like "19"). The 1319 alert distance is (I believe) the default 1/4 mile and is set by using certain keywords (like "redlight"). The other possible source is from setting it manually while running POI Loader. Your best bet is to just reload the files in manual mode and make sure you set what you want. What is the name you have on your problem file?

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Unwanted info

algrames wrote:

When I open my file in either Excel or notepad and try to delete the extra information, there isn't any of the information I am looking for showing.

All I can see is my basic information.

But then when I go back into my unit it is showing:

Alert Information:
Distance: 1319ft
Speed: 19mpgh

I Cant find where this info is so that I can delete it!

WHy would I need/want the "Speed" alert information?

If the entry name has an @ symbol followed by a number "@20" in column C, then it will set a speed alert for that entry of 20 mph. If the file name has "Redlight" in the name, it will set a proximity alert of about 1/4 mile. This assumes that the file is a CSV file. If it has an extension of .gpx, then editing is a little more complicated and time consuming.

If you are getting alerts and/or other information that you don't want, they are coming from somewhere. Either your POI file is setting the information or you are doing it when you transfer the file to the GPS.

As for why you would need speed alerts, what about school zones? How about Speed Cameras? Speed alerts might come in handy in those files.

When you download information someone else has gathered, you have to accept the way they generated the file. Either that or figure out how to change it.

Jack j

Exactly what are you loading and how

algrames wrote:

When I open my file in either Excel or notepad and try to delete the extra information, there isn't any of the information I am looking for showing.

All I can see is my basic information.

But then when I go back into my unit it is showing:

Alert Information:
Distance: 1319ft
Speed: 19mpgh

I Cant find where this info is so that I can delete it!

WHy would I need/want the "Speed" alert information?

What exactly are you loading and how are you loading it? What is the name of the file? Is it a TourGuide file? 1319 feet is 1/4 mile - give or take 12 inches.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Speed Alerts

I downloaded a file containing all of the members that attend my church.

It is a ".csv" file. I load it onto my Nuvi 200W with Poi Loader from Garmin.

When I look at the file with excel or notepad I see only the text that I want to have appear on my Nuvi, but it always shows this extra information.

I have even opened a POI File i've created my self and compared the two!

I've even tried coping the txt and paste it into a new file but it always shows up with this extra information.

--
Aaron Grames

SOLVED!!!!

Thats it!

My file was 19thwardmembers.csv

I changed the file name and EVERYTHING IS PERFECT!

Thank you!

--
Aaron Grames