7xx ver 4.80

 

Anybody try this version for stability yet?
Just wondering before I update, since there were many issues with past versions.
Also wondering if the long boot ups were fixed, which seemed to be related to large trip log file.
If you regularly cleared the trip log, unit would boot in a reasonably amount of time.

Page 1>>

.

I'm sitting this one out. My 750 works perfectly fine so I'm not going to risk "infecting" it. wink

Call me not risk-averse

Philc5987 wrote:

Anybody try this version for stability yet?
Just wondering before I update, since there were many issues with past versions.
Also wondering if the long boot ups were fixed, which seemed to be related to large trip log file.
If you regularly cleared the trip log, unit would boot in a reasonably amount of time.

As much as I tell myself to wait a week or two and look for folks reporting issues before updating, I updated.

Interesting--Webupdater did not tell me that my 750 with firmware 4.60 had an update to 4.80 available. For the first time, I did a manual download of the update and ran the file to update my nuvi.

The update went quickly and the nuvi seems functional--meaning that it powers up and in creating a route, a see a map created and Jill tells me where to go as always. I suppose I'll need to test it more fully in the next couple of days on the road in real life but for now, I have no issues other than Webupdater not suggesting I update.

For others with 4.60 on their nuvi now, these are the issues addressed:

Change History
Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:
◦Corrected issue with TTS voice stuttering.
◦Corrections to Language Guide.
◦Correction to MAD Maps routing.
◦Improvements to phone number/contact display.
Changes made from version 4.60 to 4.70:
◦Added power off for FM transmitter after 5 seconds of non-use.

When did this come out?

Philc5987 wrote:

Anybody try this version for stability yet?
Just wondering before I update, since there were many issues with past versions.
Also wondering if the long boot ups were fixed, which seemed to be related to large trip log file.
If you regularly cleared the trip log, unit would boot in a reasonably amount of time.

I must have missed this window, when did this update arrive? Any other reported problems? I'm ready to try it..eek!

--
Nuvi 760 (died 6/2013); Forerunner 305 bike/run; Inreach SE; MotionX Drive (iPhone)

Already posted...

Already posted at least 1-1/2 hours before this thread was...

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/22411

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

,

I didn't have any of the problems that were "corrected", so I'll wait and see for a bit.

nuvi 760 software version 4.80

as of May 11, 2009

Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:

* Corrected issue with TTS voice stuttering.
* Corrections to Language Guide.
* Correction to MAD Maps routing.
* Improvements to phone number/contact display.

--
........Garmin StreetPilot c550 / Nüvi 765...........

Also had to do a manual load

My Webupdater didn't detect the new version 4.80 upgrade. Just installed manually.

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

Has anyone tried both the

Has anyone tried both the "optimize route" function and the "language guide" function and can confirm that both are now working in one firmware? This two are functions I'm hoping to be able to use together this summer. Up to now it's been a choice of v4.2 for language or v4.6 for optimization but not both simultaneously.

I'm not even going to ask about the "Currency Converter", I've given up on that! I'll use a $2 calculator instead as it's so difficult! wink

Anyone know why?

WebUpdater (ver. 2.42) did not detect this on my Nuvi 760 either(ver. 4.60). Looks like I missed ver. 4.70 too. Anyone know why WebUpdater is not doing its Job?

--
Nuvi 760

This is just a guess

lovemy760 wrote:

WebUpdater (ver. 2.42) did not detect this on my Nuvi 760 either(ver. 4.60). Looks like I missed ver. 4.70 too. Anyone know why WebUpdater is not doing its Job?

Just a guess here. I see that 4.8 was just issued May 11...some time yesterday. It's possible that either unintentionally or possibly intentionally, Garmin has a lag time between the issuing of an update and having WebUpdater detect it. If unintentional, it may be that they need to offer the update in different web locations--the manual update offering web page and the auto-update server location. If intentional, they may post it for manual updates for a few days before offering it to the masses--that way if an obvious problem crops up, it'll be just seen by a select few users rather than the masses and that'll minimize the grief that's possible for the majority of users and for Garmin's Tech Support crew by withdrawing the update before too many try it. What do others think of these possibilities?

Not There

I was at the update section yesterday late afternoon and neither 4.7 or 4.8 were there....I had gotten a new 750 and was registering it and it told me I had to update. The new unit had 4.5. It updated it to 4.6. Strange but true....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Stuttering

Anybody actually see an improvement in the stuttering? Has it gone away?

If you want to, ...

farrissr wrote:

I was at the update section yesterday late afternoon and neither 4.7 or 4.8 were there....I had gotten a new 750 and was registering it and it told me I had to update. The new unit had 4.5. It updated it to 4.6. Strange but true....

If you ever want to check the avialable updates, what's new with them, and even to download the update file manually without using WebUpdater, check out:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3809

Looks like this one is a 750, 760 and 770 update

Looks like this one is a 750, 760 and 770 and not a 7XX version (no 780). Doesn't show any updates under the 780 updates, either auto or manual. As a matter of interest it doesn't list the 780 at all, though the 750, 760 and 770 are there!

Interestingly enough it shows the update (initial page) as December 17, 2008!!!!

Anyone find the 780 at all?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

Everything went fine with the 4.80 upgrade

Everything went fine with the 4.80 upgrade and all fixes appear to have worked including the Language Guide.

Nice to see that Garmin still continues to support and provide fixes for the "Discontinued" 700 series.

--
GM Built-in Navigation system - Samsung S6 Edge+ Smartphone with Garmin Viago, Google Maps & HERE Apps

Nuvi 780 = 760

visiter555 wrote:

Looks like this one is a 750, 760 and 770 and not a 7XX version (no 780). Doesn't show any updates under the 780 updates, either auto or manual. As a matter of interest it doesn't list the 780 at all, though the 750, 760 and 770 are there!

Interestingly enough it shows the update (initial page) as December 17, 2008!!!!

Anyone find the 780 at all?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

The 780 is really a 760 with an included MSN receiver... Even though it has a 'Nuvi 780' on the sticker, I have always used the 760 updates (or use webupdater, whichever you prefer).

Webupdater AFAIK has not caught up with this yet but I'm sure it will soon.

Larry

Wish they added radar

rjrsw wrote:

Everything went fine with the 4.80 upgrade and all fixes appear to have worked including the Language Guide.

Nice to see that Garmin still continues to support and provide fixes for the "Discontinued" 700 series.

Really wish they would add MSN 3, with radar and flight info... Only had mine a year, paid over $500 and it's 'discontinued'.

But you are right, at least they still provide firmware updates.

Larry

How about boot up time?

rjrsw wrote:

Everything went fine with the 4.80 upgrade and all fixes appear to have worked including the Language Guide.

Nice to see that Garmin still continues to support and provide fixes for the "Discontinued" 700 series.

How about boot up time?
Does there still seem to be the intermittent long boot-ups?
I still think it's related to the trip log file getting too big and takes longer to draw/load the maps. My experience has been if I delete the trip log regularly, boot time improves.

4.80 looks fine

I moved up to 4.80 last night. The upgrade was very smooth, and no problems with anything so far. Boot up time seems similar. No stuttering.

So far so good!

Garmin sucks at Marketing and Support

larry_larry wrote:
visiter555 wrote:

Looks like this one is a 750, 760 and 770 and not a 7XX version (no 780). Doesn't show any updates under the 780 updates, either auto or manual. As a matter of interest it doesn't list the 780 at all, though the 750, 760 and 770 are there!

Interestingly enough it shows the update (initial page) as December 17, 2008!!!!

Anyone find the 780 at all?

http://www8.garmin.com/support/blosp.jsp

The 780 is really a 760 with an included MSN receiver... Even though it has a 'Nuvi 780' on the sticker, I have always used the 760 updates (or use webupdater, whichever you prefer).

Webupdater AFAIK has not caught up with this yet but I'm sure it will soon.

Larry

I hear ya, but it certainly is indicitave of Garmin and their support that they do not list the 780. They didn't sell it as a 760 with MSN!

A bunch of amateurs they have for Marketing and support!

.

larry_larry wrote:

Webupdater AFAIK has not caught up with this yet but I'm sure it will soon.

WebUpdater and myDashboard now show 4.80 as an available update for nuvi 760.

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

v4.7?

lsmonop wrote:

I didn't have any of the problems that were "corrected", so I'll wait and see for a bit.

nuvi 760 software version 4.80

as of May 11, 2009

Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:

* Corrected issue with TTS voice stuttering.
* Corrections to Language Guide.
* Correction to MAD Maps routing.
* Improvements to phone number/contact display.

Was v4.7 ever released to the public? I was under the impression that it was a special Costco version.

--
JRoz -- DriveSmart 55 & Traffic

One thing they didn't fix

I had posted this in early January and submitted it to Garmin. They replied that it would be fixed in an upcoming release. This was in regards to a bug that others said had been fixed in an earlier release. The problem is that the list of POIs along a route have a scroll problem as described here:

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/19596

Maybe there's another update in the works. rolleyes

Other than that I've seen no issues with 4.80 on my 750.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

No scrolling problem

My 750 has never had the scrolling problem you reported, although I haven't tried v4.8 yet.

Costco

Just got a new 750 from Costco...it had version 4.5 which like 4.7 never showed up on the Garmin update list. Didn't see anything special with the 4.5 version. It made me update to 4.6 before I could register it...

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

OK do far

Did the update, so far so good.

--
Nuvi 50LM Nuvi 2555LM

4.80 firmware update for Nuvi 760

i did the 4.80fw update yesterday on my Nuvi 760 by going directly through the web updater. It took only a few minutes and all updated well.

I used the 760 during the day and all the stuttering has disappeared. i have noticed no other odd behaviour and i am glad to have the unit finally work smoothly

--
marnoldi Nuvi 680 & Nuvi 2797LMT

4.80 Firmware Update

I believe that in SEVERAL weeks the 760 is now stutter-free! smile No other issues.........

--
nuvi' 2450

Never really used any other

Never really used any other version as when I got my Nuvi (Wed) the first thing I did was update it before I ever got near the vehicle. I do know that it did update the software on the Unit, MSN Update and a few others as well as having updates for some of the voices.

I've not had any issues with it other than ones that are working as they are supposed to like:

o No display of speed when using a route (annoying as I am very used to it)
o No display of addresses as I am going down a street (also used to this)
o Didn't have the doppler weather map ability (I'm a weather guy and it would be cool but this unit doesn't support it).
o FM transmitter is weak though I have not tried many other frequencies to see if I can get a clearer channel.

I am a long time StreetPilot user, hence the first two.

I really do like the unit though.

--
Kevin - Nuvi 57LMT - Software: 4.40 - Map: Lower 49 States 2017.20

Long time SP user also

krelvinaz wrote:

o No display of speed when using a route (annoying as I am very used to it)

I know where you're coming from but the SW on these models is different. I am delighted with what the nüvi can do, and have come to not miss some of this things I was used to on the StreetPilot.

The feature to display your speed is there, but you have to press a button to see it... While on a route, tap the arrival time button in the lower left and you'll find the speedometer. I believe this is the same for all models.

For whatever reason, the designers decided not to display it on the map screen.

Check out Gary Hayman's page at: http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Any improvement to satellite acquisition?

I recently had my 760 replaced under warranty. The new unit seems to take a lot longer to acquire the GPS satellites? I may try the update to see if that improves it any.

SIRF chip

Here is what I think is going on...I recently had a 750 replaced under warranty. The old unit had the SIRF III chip in it and it seemed to get satellites fairly fast. The replacement I got did not have the SIRF chip and was much slower. I think when these units came out originally they had the SIRF chip and the later ones did not....Just my opinion....check yours out to see if you got a replacement with the SIRF.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

My 780 was jsut updated

My 780 was jsut updated using the webupdater through Garmin
I find no problems with it so far
Virgo53

--
Virgo53 Nuvi 780/265W

My Nuvi 760 used to sutter

My Nuvi 760 used to stutter all the time. Since the May 11th update, I haven't heard it stutter yet. It worked for me.

Guess I'll give in

Ok. I've been pretty gun shy about updates since the one I did that broke my nüvi. This one sounds stable so I'll go ahead and give it a shot. Hopefully I won't end up cursing.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

SIRF vs Other receiver chip

farrissr wrote:

Here is what I think is going on...I recently had a 750 replaced under warranty. The old unit had the SIRF III chip in it and it seemed to get satellites fairly fast. The replacement I got did not have the SIRF chip and was much slower. I think when these units came out originally they had the SIRF chip and the later ones did not....Just my opinion....check yours out to see if you got a replacement with the SIRF.

I have 2 Nuvi 750's (one with SIRF III and one without) and can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is no perceiveable difference in either versions ability to aquire satelites. There are lots of factors involved in aquisition so don't feel that the non-SIRF is inferior. It is not!

If you use your GPS regularly, you will generally get faster aquisition because it stores recent almanac data which help it predict which birds might be around without having to do a blind (trial and error) hunt which by luck of the draw can be very slow. I suggest that folks look at their satelite screens from time to time. There are days when the sky is loaded with birds, they are often overhead and aquisition is very fast and days/times when there are only about 4-5 available in the area and they are well below the 45 degree angle or even close to the horizon. Those are the tough days for aquisition. If you haven't done so, it's also interesting to go for a drive and just keep your satelite screen displayed and watch signal strengths bounce around due to reception issues.

I might also add that Nuvis are pretty decent with the built in antenna but if you have access to an external antenna, give it a try. You will not believe the improvement.

--
Frank, MA.

new 770

Everything seems to have worked fine for me. I just bought a nüvi 770 and before I could register it at the Garmin website, I had to upgrade to 4.80. Everything seems to work great. I also got my free map update.

The map update on Vista took forever and didn't look like it was doing anything, but I let it run and eventually stuff started happening. I think that MapSource was installing in the background and that was when my computer seemed like it was stalled.

--
nüvi 770

lol

I update everytime there is an upgrade. try calling Garmin customer service with an outdated update. 100% certanty thats the first question they will ask 'Do you have the most currrent software update' if you dont they will tell u to update it and call them back later.

--
DriveSmart 50, DriveSmart 60, nuvi 2595, nuvi 3760,

Installed it the first day on my nuvi 760

and have experienced no problems at all. My friend had trouble with voice stutter in 2D mode and this disappeared once he upgraded to 4.80

--
Nuvi 760 Nuvi 2598 LMT Nuvi 3597 LMT Garmin Streetpilot Onboard for iPhone

speed not indicated on map screen while navigating

Comment for TXRVer: the 2x5 and 7x5 series Nuvis do display the current speed on the main map screen while navigating--very useful.

v4.8 and GTM50 v5.5 work very well for me on a 760. All previous problems seem to be fixed and I have not seen others.

2010 Map and Ver 4.8 update

I posted somewhere else that I took the plunge and signed up for the lifetime upgrade for my 750. It took an astronomically long time to download it all, but it insisted that it upgrade to 4.8 before the 2010 map update. At this time, I can't vouch for any defects because I haven't been on any trip. Plan on doing that shortly, so can advise if I have a problem later. Heck, I will try anything once. It might be fun.

Curt

--
The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every mornin'.

4.8

Philc5987 wrote:

Anybody try this version for stability yet?
Just wondering before I update, since there were many issues with past versions.
Also wondering if the long boot ups were fixed, which seemed to be related to large trip log file.
If you regularly cleared the trip log, unit would boot in a reasonably amount of time.

Just got back from a 500 mile trip to wine country in Eastern Washington. Used my 750 with the 4.8 update and it worked perfectly with no problems whatsoever....

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Seems stable

I just returned from a 1700 mile trip with 4.80 installed on my 750. With one exception it appears to be stable with full functionality returned.

That one exception was that the nuvi just stopped working; the screen was frozen. Unfortunately it was in a busy area with complex closely spaced exits. I was also running close to needing gas because I was crossing the border between Canada and the US and didn't want to buy any of that pricey Canadian gas. Since I was depending on the nuvi, I didn't know which exit to use and unfortunately got off on the wrong one, with the closest gas quite some distance away.

Once I was able to pull off somewhere, I restarted the nuvi. It took at least 5 minutes before becoming usable. After that it performed flawlessly for the remainder of the trip.

One thing I do notice is that the number of times it takes an extremely long length of time to "Load Maps" seems be occurring more frequently than it did before. One thing I've learned is that I now start up the nuvi before packing up to leave a hotel. In one instance, the nuvi appeared to be stuck on "Loading Maps", so I lost patience and turned it off, then restarted it again immediately. Although visual routing was present, the verbal part was absent. A subsequent restart, this time exhibiting more patience (5 minutes or so) and the voice returned.

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

760 and Ver 4.80

Used my 760 on a 2200 mile trip last week. It worked perfectly. The only issue I had after upgrading was trying to get my bluetooth connection with my LG Dare to work again. It took a few tries, but did finally connect, and works great.

Loading Maps

BobHy wrote:

I just returned from a 1700 mile trip with 4.80 installed on my 750. With one exception it appears to be stable with full functionality returned.

That one exception was that the nuvi just stopped working; the screen was frozen. Unfortunately it was in a busy area with complex closely spaced exits. I was also running close to needing gas because I was crossing the border between Canada and the US and didn't want to buy any of that pricey Canadian gas. Since I was depending on the nuvi, I didn't know which exit to use and unfortunately got off on the wrong one, with the closest gas quite some distance away.

Once I was able to pull off somewhere, I restarted the nuvi. It took at least 5 minutes before becoming usable. After that it performed flawlessly for the remainder of the trip.

One thing I do notice is that the number of times it takes an extremely long length of time to "Load Maps" seems be occurring more frequently than it did before. One thing I've learned is that I now start up the nuvi before packing up to leave a hotel. In one instance, the nuvi appeared to be stuck on "Loading Maps", so I lost patience and turned it off, then restarted it again immediately. Although visual routing was present, the verbal part was absent. A subsequent restart, this time exhibiting more patience (5 minutes or so) and the voice returned.

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

You should delete the stored track now and again. Even though you have it turned off, it still tracks and stores the track. Doing this will help it start faster.

As an aside, if it hangs on loading maps, leave it alone. It's doing internal housekeeping for whatever reason and needs to be left alone. It will eventually start. It may take up to 5 minutes.

If you have interupted it while doing this, you will always find that the voices have been unselected. Search this forum for "lost voices" or defrag and you will find numerous articles on this.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Firmware and tracks.

Quote:

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

I didn't know Garmin stopped making firmware this soon. I've only had my 750 2 years and was expecting more that that.

Quote:

You should delete the stored track now and again

How do you delete the track?

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

Menu>Tools Scroll down to My

Menu>Tools Scroll down to My Data and touch My Data. Touch Clear Track Log.

Some folks have reported a very long "Loading Maps" time, which incidental has nothing to do with satellite acquisition time, the next start they up after using it to route. I haven't found this to be consistent. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Satellite acquisition time begins as soon as the Legal Disclaimer appears. During the "Loading Maps" time is the equivalent of "Booting". Once booting finishes, aquisition begins. To accurately time acquisition time, you have to start timing when the Disclaimer appears.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Updates

mgarledge wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

I didn't know Garmin stopped making firmware this soon. I've only had my 750 2 years and was expecting more that that.

Quote:

You should delete the stored track now and again

How do you delete the track?

It shows you the difference in the Garmin units compared to a high end built-in unit. My Lexus GPS has never had to have a firmware update and works great. (probably a Garmin) absolutely no problems in three years. It seems Garmin and the others are always trying to fix something. Don't understand because there aren't any new wonderful features included in the updates. Don't get me wrong I love my 750 portable...
Can anyone explain why they can't make it right the first time? They must need better people who design and test new units. There have been 13 updates for the NUVI 750. Every update either says fixing or correcting something.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM

Updated yesterday

I can't see that it changed much for my 760. But then I wasn't experiencing any problems with it either.

7xx firmware

farrissr wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

I didn't know Garmin stopped making firmware this soon. I've only had my 750 2 years and was expecting more that that.

Quote:

You should delete the stored track now and again

How do you delete the track?

It shows you the difference in the Garmin units compared to a high end built-in unit. My Lexus GPS has never had to have a firmware update and works great. (probably a Garmin) absolutely no problems in three years. It seems Garmin and the others are always trying to fix something. Don't understand because there aren't any new wonderful features included in the updates. Don't get me wrong I love my 750 portable...
Can anyone explain why they can't make it right the first time? They must need better people who design and test new units. There have been 13 updates for the NUVI 750. Every update either says fixing or correcting something.

Thanks for the hint on deleting tracks.

With the number of products Garmin has in current production and the rate at which they produce new products, I can't see how they can possibly thoroughly test the firmware for each unit before release. Granted they are reusing particular software modules, but each unit is slightly different in the the way it operates and the hardware it uses.

Bob

Slow Down

BobHy wrote:
farrissr wrote:
mgarledge wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing that this will be the last firmware upgrade for the series since it now out of production.

Bob

I didn't know Garmin stopped making firmware this soon. I've only had my 750 2 years and was expecting more that that.

Quote:

You should delete the stored track now and again

How do you delete the track?

It shows you the difference in the Garmin units compared to a high end built-in unit. My Lexus GPS has never had to have a firmware update and works great. (probably a Garmin) absolutely no problems in three years. It seems Garmin and the others are always trying to fix something. Don't understand because there aren't any new wonderful features included in the updates. Don't get me wrong I love my 750 portable...
Can anyone explain why they can't make it right the first time? They must need better people who design and test new units. There have been 13 updates for the NUVI 750. Every update either says fixing or correcting something.

Thanks for the hint on deleting tracks.

With the number of products Garmin has in current production and the rate at which they produce new products, I can't see how they can possibly thoroughly test the firmware for each unit before release. Granted they are reusing particular software modules, but each unit is slightly different in the the way it operates and the hardware it uses.

Bob

Then they need to slow down and put out units that work properly and that have been thoroughly tested. What you say is absolutely no excuse for the problems they are having and identified on this excellent site. It is called quality control and having an excellent product to sell to the public. I personally don't have any problems with my cell phone, ipod or any other electronic device I own. I love my nuvi 750 but have had to return three of them as they were defective.

--
Bobby....Garmin 2450LM
Page 1>>