new & interesting places for your GPS

3.0 update on garmin

 

My Friend updated my Garmin 765T on garmin.com instead of web updater and now it no longer lets me connect to we updater it says :
Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set the interface option on the GPS to 'Garmin' or Host.

i do have one an identical 765T that I updated on web updater and works fine If It would be help if i copied some files or any other suggestions??

Did You

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

.

This is a bug with v3.0 on the 7x5 series. Here's what I've found in my research...

At every power cycle, a file is generated automatically by the nuvi that contains info regarding your unit such as firmware version, installed voices, etc. The file is named GarminDevice.xml and is in the x:/Garmin folder. WebUpdater gets your unit info from this file and uses that info to see whether or not updates apply.

With nuvi 7x5 v3.0, this file is getting corrupted or truncated somehow (the exact cause is unknown). If the file is corrupted, WebUpdater cannot read it correctly and will list the GPS as not having the "necessary capabilities". To correct the problem, the file needs to be regenerated from scratch. To do this, connect the nuvi to the USB port and delete the file named GarminDevice.xml from the x:/Garmin folder. Then safely disconnect the nuvi from the USB port and let it boot fully (NOT connected to USB). After booting, the unit can then be connected to the USB port and WebUpdater should see the unit and proceed normally. If for some reason it does not or if it happens again in the future, simply repeat the file deletion/re-creation.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

I tried the below with no luck any other suggestions?

DorkusNimrod wrote:

This is a bug with v3.0 on the 7x5 series. Here's what I've found in my research...

At every power cycle, a file is generated automatically by the nuvi that contains info regarding your unit such as firmware version, installed voices, etc. The file is named GarminDevice.xml and is in the x:/Garmin folder. WebUpdater gets your unit info from this file and uses that info to see whether or not updates apply.

With nuvi 7x5 v3.0, this file is getting corrupted or truncated somehow (the exact cause is unknown). If the file is corrupted, WebUpdater cannot read it correctly and will list the GPS as not having the "necessary capabilities". To correct the problem, the file needs to be regenerated from scratch. To do this, connect the nuvi to the USB port and delete the file named GarminDevice.xml from the x:/Garmin folder. Then safely disconnect the nuvi from the USB port and let it boot fully (NOT connected to USB). After booting, the unit can then be connected to the USB port and WebUpdater should see the unit and proceed normally. If for some reason it does not or if it happens again in the future, simply repeat the file deletion/re-creation.

Any other removeable drives added?

Do you have any USB drives or external drives plugged in? Try unplugging them and then check to see if your unit is recognized. Windows will recall which drive letter was last associated with a device (call it 'DeviceA'). If the letter gets taken by something else (call it 'DeviceB'), then DeviceA won't appear to be available in Windows if DeviceB is still plugged in.

try again...

xtremx wrote:

I tried the below with no luck any other suggestions?

How many times did you try? You may have to do it multiple times to get a good generation of GarminDevice.xml.

To see if you have a good .xml file, double-click on it (it will open up in a browser window) and scroll to the bottom of the file. The end of the file should have no errors. If it does, regenerate it again until you get a good file.

You may also need to remove the SD card from your nuvi, then try to regenerate the file again and connect it to the PC with the SD card removed from the nuvi. The SD card -may- be a part of the root of the problem but like I said, the exact cause is still unknown.

Also note that this is only a temporary fix which will at least let you run WebUpdater to check for updates. A permanent fix will likely be in an upcoming firmware update.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

YES!!!!

DorkusNimrod wrote:
xtremx wrote:

I tried the below with no luck any other suggestions?

How many times did you try? You may have to do it multiple times to get a good generation of GarminDevice.xml.

To see if you have a good .xml file, double-click on it (it will open up in a browser window) and scroll to the bottom of the file. The end of the file should have no errors. If it does, regenerate it again until you get a good file.

You may also need to remove the SD card from your nuvi, then try to regenerate the file again and connect it to the PC with the SD card removed from the nuvi. The SD card -may- be a part of the root of the problem but like I said, the exact cause is still unknown.

Also note that this is only a temporary fix which will at least let you run WebUpdater to check for updates. A permanent fix will likely be in an upcoming firmware update.

Thats the solution remove SD card then delete file then restart. File now has no errors and works with web updater

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 21 users and 87 guests online.

Online users

  • chuckwood
  • WAASup
  • DorkusNimrod
  • john615
  • rdrivas
  • njsport95
  • zadmi
  • mazel
  • LennyD51
  • tepreston