new & interesting places for your GPS

Backing up and restoring Favorites on Garmin nuvi 350

 

How do I back up and restore the Favorites I have entered by hand on my Garmin nuvi 350. I would like to copy my Favorites into several Garmin units.

Is it possible to create a Favorites file externaly and load it into the Garmin?

Thanks,
Bob

I've used the following procedure

to backup the FAVORITES my Garmin Nuvi 260.

Garmin FAVORITES is the file named current.gpx located in G:\Garmin\gpx (Note: Our Garmin shows up as the G drive on our computer).

To Backup:

I copy the current.gpx file from the Garmin (G drive) to a folder I created on the C: Drive (C:\Garmin\Backups). I renamed the file as current-m-d-year.gpx so I would know the date last copied.

To Restore:

Rename backup copy (current-m-d-year.gpx) to current.gpx and copy the file to the Garmin (G: Drive).

I think the 350 uses the same format. Others on this site might be able to confirm this for you. Hope this helps.

An adjustment to the above

When copying your Current.gpx file to the new device, you should copy it into the Garmin\GPX folder and rename it to anything OTHER than Current.gpx. It won't work if you name the filename Current.gpx.

Thanks Johnc

johnc wrote:

When copying your Current.gpx file to the new device, you should copy it into the Garmin\GPX folder and rename it to anything OTHER than Current.gpx. It won't work if you name the filename Current.gpx.

for clarifying that you copy the file to the garmin/gpx folder. I'll add that to my notes. I have not used this to move favorites between units, only to backup and restore to the same unit. Haven't noticed the need to name the file something other that current.gpx. Maybe someone can explain why the need to name the file differently....

Bob T wrote: How do I back

Bob T wrote:

How do I back up and restore the Favorites I have entered by hand on my Garmin nuvi 350. I would like to copy my Favorites into several Garmin units.

Is it possible to create a Favorites file externaly and load it into the Garmin?

Thanks,
Bob

If you just want to add favorites from one unit to another.Download EasyGPS http://www.easygps.com/download.asp .You will need to add each gps to EasyGPS.Click on edit of top of page then preference to add each unit.To get favorites from the unit you want the favorites from click GPS and then receive from gps.Once they show on the bottom of the screen hook up the other gps and this time click send to gps.For some reason you want to save your favorites.Click on file and then save as.It will save as a gpx and just pick folder you want it to go in.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT,Nuvi 2597 LMT and Garmin Viago.

.

FreddyP wrote:

Haven't noticed the need to name the file something other that current.gpx. Maybe someone can explain why the need to name the file differently....

I think it goes this way:
1.) Any gpx file added to the unit will be added to the Favorites at shutdown, except
2.) The unit will not add current.gpx to an existing favorites list as that would cause duplicates.
3.) I haven't tried this, but I suspect if all favorites have been deleted, the GPS will then add current.gpx to Favorites -- this is based on your statement that you've used it to restore backed up file.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Folks,

are there any issues copying Favorites file between different series of Nuvis? I'd like to copy the file from my 360 onto my 760.

Thanks for any advice smile

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 265WT + 65LMT + 3597LMTHD New England region

.

uber360 wrote:

are there any issues copying Favorites file between different series of Nuvis? I'd like to copy the file from my 360 onto my 760.

Thanks for any advice smile

Should be no problem.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Actually...

uber360 wrote:

are there any issues copying Favorites file between different series of Nuvis? I'd like to copy the file from my 360 onto my 760.

If you just copy the file, you'll lose any address information that is present. The Nüvi 3xx series stores the 'address' information in the 'comment' field (for reasons best known to only to Garmin).

You can use the Trial version of GeePeeEx Editor to convert the format (but you'll have to have both devices available at the same time).

Import the Favourites from the 360 and then export them directly to the 760. (Either plug them both in at the same time, or swap usb plugs).

(The Trial version only allows 5 waypoints to be written to disk - hence the requirement to go directly from device to device. It should do the job though.)

--
------------------------ Phil Hornby, Stockport, England ----------------------               http://GeePeeEx.com - Garmin POI Creation made easy           »      

Thank you.

Hornbyp wrote:

Import the Favourites from the 360 and then export them directly to the 760. (Either plug them both in at the same time, or swap usb plugs).

Phil, that's quite brilliant and worked like a charm exclaim

Very fast, too smile

Cheers!

--
(2) Nuvi 1450LMT + 265WT + 65LMT + 3597LMTHD New England region

Quote: If you just copy

Quote:

If you just copy the file, you'll lose any address information that is present

In my case, I've get a new Nuvi coming so I assume its OK to simply copy over the backed up copy?

?

andrewrodney wrote:

In my case, I've get a new Nuvi coming so I assume its OK to simply copy over the backed up copy?

Copy your backed up copy of what? Certainly NOT the whole drive. If you are talking about Current.gpx, you might have to rename it (try Temp.gpx) before the new unit will add it to your favorites on rebooting; this seems to differ by model.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Copying Favourites from 765 to another 765

exclaim
Unfortunately I am the "New kid on the block."
I copied the gpx folder from my older 765 to my wife's new 765. The favourites are there but do not include the Garmin Offices and no addresses. Bit confused, is there a way I can make the new Garmin appear like my old Garmin?

--
Regards, Roger

MapSource works for me

FWIW: I use the Garmin Mapsource program.

Select "Receive From Device", check the Way Points box, and you will receive them. You can also edit them to include additional data and embedded sounds and pics if you choose to. They can also be uploaded to other Garmin devices. I have a 360, 760, Etrex, and Edge that I have had success with.

--
JRoz -- nuvi 3490LMT, 3760LMT, 260W; Edge 605; Approach G5; Oregon 450

Folks, We bought my wife a

Folks,

We bought my wife a Garmin Nuvi 265WT a few months ago. We love it and we have lots of favorites already saved.

Today I bought a second 265WT for myself. If I simply delete the current.gpx that is present in the new GPS and paste in the current.gpx from the 265WT we have had for a few months - will everything work OK?

Thanks,

Phil

rename required

After copying current.gpx to the new nuvi, it needs to be renamed to anything BUT current.gpx. If the filename is current.gpx, the favorites will not be read into the nuvi. Current.gpx is an output file only & is a copy of the favorites stored on the unit in it's non-user accessible memory area. In other words, current.gpx is NOT where the nuvi stores it's favorites. You can delete current.gpx from your nuvi and all your favorites will still be there.

Garmin uses temp.gpx when favorites are transferred from MapSource to the nuvi so that is the most common rename...however it can be anything, as long as it has the .gpx extension.

--
nuvi 760, nuvi 765T, nuvi 855, nuvi 3790LMT, nuvi 3490LMT - SoCal area

DorkusNimrod, Most

DorkusNimrod,

Most excellent. After trying a couple of times to just drag and drop and it not working I did as you suggest and renamed the gpx from my "older unit" to current1.gpx and the GPS fired right up and had them. Thank you very much for that clarification.

For those of you that do this and also have Custom POI's on the older unit, you will still need to import them; this will not get them over into the new unit. More experienced heads will know this, but as a newbie I had to try it first and then smack my forehead and say "Oh yeah, import the 'master custom poi' you built for the other unit" and I was off to the races.

Home - check
Favorites from "old" unit - check
Import custom favorites - check
Import custom vehicle icons - check
Change vehicle icon - check

OK, here's the next question - Wifey and I now each have these Garmin 265WT units and they are essentially synchronized. As we add favorites is there any elegant way to merge them in the future, so we can each benefit from favorites the other has added?

Also, I think I know the answer to this one already (NO) - Garmin did not get the closure of the Starbucks closest to us prior to issuing the latest map update. Is there any way to edit the base "POI" file to delete this now erroneous entry? While it is a minor issue, it bugs my wife to no end to see it displayed there...

Thanks,

Phil

As you have pretty much discovered

Skyking69 wrote:

OK, here's the next question - Wifey and I now each have these Garmin 265WT units and they are essentially synchronized. As we add favorites is there any elegant way to merge them in the future, so we can each benefit from favorites the other has added?

It would be nice, but no. You need to do the transfer as already documented. Copy the one current.gpx and copy it to the other as Temp.GPX so it's read at boot time.

Skyking69 wrote:

Also, I think I know the answer to this one already (NO) - Garmin did not get the closure of the Starbucks closest to us prior to issuing the latest map update. Is there any way to edit the base "POI" file to delete this now erroneous entry? While it is a minor issue, it bugs my wife to no end to see it displayed there...

The factory POI can't be edited, so you are stuck with it. However, you can download an updated list from here and use it in your Custom POI. The same for a lot of the chains.

I know from using the latest maps (2010.20) in my neighborhood, the factory POI locations are off quite a bit. My bank and the gas station I use most frequently are off by almost a 1/4 mile. Custom POI locations are usually much closer to the actual location.

--
ɐ‾nsǝɹ Just one click away from the end of the Internet

Closure of Starbucks

Skyking69 wrote:

DorkusNimrod,

Most excellent. After trying a couple of times to just drag and drop and it not working I did as you suggest and renamed the gpx from my "older unit" to current1.gpx and the GPS fired right up and had them. Thank you very much for that clarification.

For those of you that do this and also have Custom POI's on the older unit, you will still need to import them; this will not get them over into the new unit. More experienced heads will know this, but as a newbie I had to try it first and then smack my forehead and say "Oh yeah, import the 'master custom poi' you built for the other unit" and I was off to the races.

Home - check
Favorites from "old" unit - check
Import custom favorites - check
Import custom vehicle icons - check
Change vehicle icon - check

OK, here's the next question - Wifey and I now each have these Garmin 265WT units and they are essentially synchronized. As we add favorites is there any elegant way to merge them in the future, so we can each benefit from favorites the other has added?

Also, I think I know the answer to this one already (NO) - Garmin did not get the closure of the Starbucks closest to us prior to issuing the latest map update. Is there any way to edit the base "POI" file to delete this now erroneous entry? While it is a minor issue, it bugs my wife to no end to see it displayed there...

Thanks,

Phil

If you haven't already done it you can fill out the form and report the closure of Starbucks. http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/errorForm.html

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT,Nuvi 2597 LMT and Garmin Viago.

a_user and Charlie, Thanks

a_user and Charlie,

Thanks for the replies. Last thing first, I will write Garmin. Thanks for the link.

a_user, just to confirm, you know of no way to merge two favorites files in order to synchronize a couple of these unit?

Thanks again,

Phil

Works!, thanks for the

Works!, thanks for the information.

Merge files

Skyking69 wrote:

a_user and Charlie,

Thanks for the replies. Last thing first, I will write Garmin. Thanks for the link.

a_user, just to confirm, you know of no way to merge two favorites files in order to synchronize a couple of these unit?

Thanks again,

Phil

If you want to merge two favorite files download Extra Poi Loader at http://turboccc.wikispaces.com/Extra_POI_Editor .Once downloaded go to file and open up the first Current.Gpx file on your gps unit.Now go back to file but this time select merge open.This will add the data to the first file.Now just save as a gpx file and name it Temp.Gpx.Copy and paste back in gpx folder on unit.Re-boot.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT,Nuvi 2597 LMT and Garmin Viago.

Merge Favorites

If you expect duplicates, just use the Find Duplicates function in the Edit menu to review those suspect duplicates and eliminate them.

Guys (and gals?), Thanks,

Guys (and gals?),

Thanks, great info. I will look into this right away!

Phil

sponsored links