new & interesting places for your GPS

Problem opening a csv file from here in poiedit

 

I did a very thorough search of the forums and although I found a few similiar solutions none of them worked.

I d/l'ed the Big Lots csv file from here...

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/3713

But I get in error message from PoiEdit when I try to open it. I did delete column 3 beforehand.

ID as Garmin csv get this error..
3 to 4 values expected on line 1

And as destinator I get...
'528 West Town Plaza' is not a valid floating point value

What's my freeware solution?

Question

First, I have to ask: If you couldn't open the file, how did you delete column 3?

If you're just trying to view the file (not doing much in-depth editing), then Notepad is your best freeware tool.

BTW- I opened the Big Lots file in Excel and it opened fine.

This might work

I had the same eror message when converting Loves and Flying J's cvs files to gpx using POIEdit 2007. Using Excel 2003, I saved each cvs file as a xml spread sheet file. I then used POIEdit to change them from xml to gpx.
EDIT
Like your results, Big Lots did not work from cvs to gpx, but it did work saving as a Excel xml spreadsheet file.

--
Garmin StreetPilot 2720

Save a lot of headaches ...

allisong6 wrote:

I did a very thorough search of the forums and although I found a few similiar solutions none of them worked .... What's my freeware solution?

You can save yourself a lot of headaches if you lift your "freeware solution" requirement. That means you can't use Excel or POI Verifier.

It only took a few seconds to modify the file with http://PoiVerifier.com so it can be opened with PoiEdit.

RT

--
---------------"Internet: Don't believe half of what you read, and verify the other half."---------

HML?

ploiselle wrote:

Using Excel 2003, I saved each cvs file as a hml spread sheet file. I then used POIEdit to change them from hml to gpx.

What is "hml?" I'm using excel 2000 and I don't see that as a save option.

Freeware

retiredtechnician wrote:

You can save yourself a lot of headaches if you lift your "freeware solution" requirement. That means you can't use Excel or POI Verifier.

Hello Retired Technician,

I was pretty sure you were going to see this thread and that's why I threw in the freeware option. grin

I just sent a message to you at support@PoiVerifier.com

Sorry

Sorry that should have been XML, not hml. Hopefully 2000 has the xml option. If not try downloading a free copy of openoffice.

http://download.openoffice.org/ I have never used it, nor do I have access to a working copy, so I don't know if the openoffice spreadsheet has the xml option.

Thanks allisong6 for the link. I will be downloading a copy of PoiVerifier to help my kids download POI's into their 350/360's.

Moderator
So a lot of people don't waste their time, please edit my posts above to change hml to xml, . Thanks

--
Garmin StreetPilot 2720

fixed

ploiselle wrote:

Moderator
So a lot of people don't waste their time, please edit my posts above to change hml to xml, . Thanks

I have that fixed now;)

Miss POI

xml

ploiselle wrote:

Sorry that should have been XML, not hml. Hopefully 2000 has the xml option. If not try downloading a free copy of openoffice.

Tried open office and it does have a xml version. save the big lots csv file in xml format but poiedit still couldn't open it.

I'm fighting it retiredtechnician but it looks like i'm coming your way!

Carriage returns...?

allisong6 wrote:
ploiselle wrote:

Sorry that should have been XML, not hml. Hopefully 2000 has the xml option. If not try downloading a free copy of openoffice.

Tried open office and it does have a xml version. save the big lots csv file in xml format but poiedit still couldn't open it.

I'm fighting it retiredtechnician but it looks like i'm coming your way!

Did you remove all of the 'carriage returns' in the xml format before saving and converting the file?

Try doing that and get back to us! wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! R.I.P. NYPD-77/Seattle Mike/Joe S.

BIG LOTS

allisong6 wrote:
ploiselle wrote:

Sorry that should have been XML, not hml. Hopefully 2000 has the xml option. If not try downloading a free copy of openoffice.

Tried open office and it does have a xml version. save the big lots csv file in xml format but poiedit still couldn't open it.

I'm fighting it retiredtechnician but it looks like i'm coming your way!

send me your email, i have the cleaned file for you!

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

Carriage returns and other messages

Mike L. wrote:

Did you remove all of the 'carriage returns' in the xml format before saving and converting the file?

do you know how to do that in Excel 2000 or Open Office? I couldn't figure it out.

Werskine...

I tried the "cleaned" file. and I couldn't get it to work. I can load it into excel or OO, and then save it to xml format but poiedit won't load it.

retiredtechnician...

have you seen this site...?

https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

Wonder if you could do that on a single file basis but with a $ charge?

Thanks everyone so far. I'm still open to ideas. If I can't get it figured out for free I will be buying poiverifier tonight!

WELL

allisong6 wrote:
Mike L. wrote:

Did you remove all of the 'carriage returns' in the xml format before saving and converting the file?

do you know how to do that in Excel 2000 or Open Office? I couldn't figure it out.

Werskine...

I tried the "cleaned" file. and I couldn't get it to work. I can load it into excel or OO, and then save it to xml format but poiedit won't load it.

retiredtechnician...

have you seen this site...?

https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp

Wonder if you could do that on a single file basis but with a $ charge?

Thanks everyone so far. I'm still open to ideas. If I can't get it figured out for free I will be buying poiverifier tonight!

I DID IT IN poi edit worked for me read this and tried it again to make sure and there were no issues with loading it in poi edit or my nuvi 760!?

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

Finally

werskine wrote:

I DID IT IN poi edit worked for me read this and tried it again to make sure and there were no issues with loading it in poi edit or my nuvi 760!?

OK, I finally got it. Weird, I took your xls file and just put a csv ext. on it and it then loaded. thanks werskine.

Good for you!

allisong6 wrote:

OK, I finally got it. Weird, I took your xls file and just put a csv ext. on it and it then loaded. thanks werskine.

And how much did it cost you to do it? wink

Mike

--
Freedom isn't free...thank you veterans! Heard about the tests to detect PANCREATIC CANCER? There aren't any! R.I.P. NYPD-77/Seattle Mike/Joe S.

space in column 3

I've found a few cvs files have an initial space in column 3 and thus won't load into poiedit. Remove the space and it works fine.

I also found a file that had little squares showing up in excell -- I think they are line feeds. They also didn't load.

--
Garmin Nuvi 750

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 18 users and 78 guests online.

Online users

  • rthibodaux
  • JM
  • romac
  • sferland
  • Pillowcase
  • blake7mstr
  • hawgs1
  • tcreek
  • LavaTech
  • CBellew