new & interesting places for your GPS

Best way to learn how to use MapSource

 

What is the best way to learn how to use MapSource on my PC? I am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I was able to send all of the information from my GPS to my MapSource on my PC, but it seems like nothing is working correctly. Whenever I try and make routes to new locations/destinations it seems that it never finds it. Also, everytime I use MapSource am I supposed to save the file when it asks me to?

I also noticed that when I first downloaded MapSource from the
Garmin website it only listed a few states within the US that I believe was just putting that on the map. So when I received the 2009 NT America map from Garmin and downloaded that, did that mean that MapSource would now allow me to use all of the US states roads and highways or is it still restricted?

-----
Nuvi 780

I just learned by using it for a number of years..

realdeal wrote:

What is the best way to learn how to use MapSource on my PC? I am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I was able to send all of the information from my GPS to my MapSource on my PC, but it seems like nothing is working correctly. Whenever I try and make routes to new locations/destinations it seems that it never finds it. Also, everytime I use MapSource am I supposed to save the file when it asks me to?

I also noticed that when I first downloaded MapSource from the
Garmin website it only listed a few states within the US that I believe was just putting that on the map. So when I received the 2009 NT America map from Garmin and downloaded that, did that mean that MapSource would now allow me to use all of the US states roads and highways or is it still restricted?

-----
Nuvi 780

It depends on what I'm doing if I save the file or don't.. If I'm just looking at a map I don't, but I have certain sets of maps from the topo maps that I save, or if I make a route I may save it.

In the top drop down window is the current map set you are using. If you have several map sets, Europe, Mexico and Australia you can select maps from each country by selecting maps and then changing the map set in the top window and selecting more maps and then save them to your unit or an sd card. These maps will be in addition to your base maps and 2009 map that are installed on your unit.

Another trick I learned is that you can select multiple maps by using the map tool (located on the tool bar) and hold down the left button and drag it over the maps... That makes selecting a complete country or continent much easier…

If you only have the 2009 map set installed you will probably only want save waypoints and routes and not maps as they are already in your gps…

Also on the 2009 disk is a file called "Selecting and Saving Map Sets Tutorial v4.00.exe". It is informative...

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

Trial...

...and error works too.

- Jon

Do not see tutorial

aophiuchus wrote:
realdeal wrote:

What is the best way to learn how to use MapSource on my PC? I am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I was able to send all of the information from my GPS to my MapSource on my PC, but it seems like nothing is working correctly. Whenever I try and make routes to new locations/destinations it seems that it never finds it. Also, everytime I use MapSource am I supposed to save the file when it asks me to?

I also noticed that when I first downloaded MapSource from the
Garmin website it only listed a few states within the US that I believe was just putting that on the map. So when I received the 2009 NT America map from Garmin and downloaded that, did that mean that MapSource would now allow me to use all of the US states roads and highways or is it still restricted?

-----
Nuvi 780

It depends on what I'm doing if I save the file or don't.. If I'm just looking at a map I don't, but I have certain sets of maps from the topo maps that I save, or if I make a route I may save it.

In the top drop down window is the current map set you are using. If you have several map sets, Europe, Mexico and Australia you can select maps from each country by selecting maps and then changing the map set in the top window and selecting more maps and then save them to your unit or an sd card. These maps will be in addition to your base maps and 2009 map that are installed on your unit.

Another trick I learned is that you can select multiple maps by using the map tool (located on the tool bar) and hold down the left button and drag it over the maps... That makes selecting a complete country or continent much easier…

If you only have the 2009 map set installed you will probably only want save waypoints and routes and not maps as they are already in your gps…

Also on the 2009 disk is a file called "Selecting and Saving Map Sets Tutorial v4.00.exe". It is informative...

I received my 2009 map from Garmin's website. They did not send me the DVD. How can I get the tutorial that you are referring to?

.

The road to Carnegie Hall

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice. Lots and lots of practice.
Or, my favorite.
Money, lots and lots of money.

Joking aside, when I was trying to learn photography, I kept running across a sentence like "The best way to learn photography is to take pictures." I kept buying books that would make me an expert, and they kept telling me to go take pictures. Of course, I needed the books to get started, but I needed to do.

So gentle reader, my advice as to the best way to learn MapSource is practice, lots and lots of practice. The reward of this method is giving yourself a highly diverse tool that does what you want, not what somebody else uses as an example.

Hang in there is worth the effort!

And remember the dumbest question is the one that remains unasked.

--
Nuvi 255W, Ham radio, MacBook Pro

.

Motorcycle Mama wrote:

Google is your friend.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html

That tutorial is pretty slim. Doesn't really have all the bells and whisles.

--
********Garmin Nüvi 1300T, StreetPilot c330 *******Member 6523*********

Best way to learn how to use MapSource

I've only been using mapsource since about the end of June when I first uploaded tracks and waypoints from my GPSMap 60Csx. I agree that "practice, practice" (or play, play, around) is the best way to learn new software . . . been doin' that way for years now, myself.

Of course, the HELP files and index search come in real handy for learning what all the pretty new icons are supposed to do. You can look at the menus, click around to see what changes/happens, and go from there. But the default icons are usually the most-used menu items and put there for a reason by the software designer.

Have fun!

--
Winston Churchill said, “Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.”

I just

Purchased a a NUVI 760 a month ago... What is map source?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Trial and google ..

I won a 750 last month and strangely it didn't come with a cd or dvd. I had already downloaded the new 2009NT map but I wasn't about to spend the $$$$$ on MapSource without trying it first. It wasn't until I found this site that I found out I could get MapSource for free.

MapSource for me is the software that makes the GPS actually fun as well as useful. Being able to import and look at the track after a trip is amazing. I was browsing a site and came across a guy who crashed his motorcycle and lost his GPS. 1 year later he returned to the scene, found the GPS and then by checking the track info in MapSource he found out that he entered a corner too fast, causing the crash. He had no other memory of what had happened.

I also find it useful to check on my wife's driving habits. She keeps telling me she drives reasonably but she gets the tickets and guzzles gas faster than she brings in the money.

I haven't actually used it for anything else but that feature alone makes it worthwhile to have. Mapquest and Google are better for me to create routes

--
Nüvi 750, 2008 GoldWing

a waypoint/routing program

rpm4 wrote:

Purchased a a NUVI 760 a month ago... What is map source?

The garmin website has the info on mapsource and there are many conversations on here about it, do a search for mapsource and do a lot of reading, You should be able to get one from garmin with a phone call to tech support, just talk to them about it and they just may send you one free of charge, When i got mine (650) and talked to them within a few days i had the c/d. hope this helped you out.

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

Garmin's updates and download link

rpm4 wrote:

Purchased a a NUVI 760 a month ago... What is map source?

You can get software directly from Garmin's web site at the link below:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

This link is under the 'Support' category but there's good info, too, under the 'Maps' heading.

Just go to www.garmin.com then explore what they have.

--
Winston Churchill said, “Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.”

Mapsource

Just received a Map Update 2009 DVD from Garmin. I does not upload to my PC withough connecting the GPS. I do not want to connect GPS for fear that it might overwrite or cause some problems. My GPS has the most current 2009 map. I had requested the DVD from Garmin to work with POIs and then load them to GPS. Any idea how to go about it without connecting GPS to PC? Thanks.

map update won't load

I recently got a 2008 TOPO map and it installed over my existing Map Source software without any issues. I didn't have the gps connected at the time.

The only problem I had, however, was that the new Map Source (with the TOPO maps) did not recognize my gps when I did connect it and turn it on. I didn't have the problem with the original Map Source install. It recognized my gps right away.

I had to download a new driver from the 2008 TOPO disc and then it found my gps device. No problem finding it since.

So far, in my experience, having the gps connected and even turned on shouldn't matter when you install new software on the PC. You should be able to specify which PC drive or device you want to install to in the setup dialog.

--
Winston Churchill said, “Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing, after exhausting all other possibilities.”

I

Just downloaded the mapsource info and will take me a day and a year to learn.....sad

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

MapSource Manual

The MapSource Manual is not bad in helping you learn to use MapSource.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/manual.html

--
"Those that stop and smell the roses, must realize that once in awhile you may get a whiff of fertilizer."......................copyright:HDHannah1986 .................................... H Hannah-Nuni2555 - Nuvi855 - Nuvi295W - Nuvi750 and Ique3600

Mapsource

Just figured out how to install the Maps from the Garmin DVD to my PC. I had to call Garmin tech support. By default when I load the DVD it starts playing and prompts for the GPS and will not run further until it finds the GPS. However, I was able to go through the explore mode and double click on a certain file (not .exe) in one of the folders. I am now able to explore the mape and create way points, POIs with alerts etc. Will try to upload some in the near future.

When all else fails...

Quote:

The MapSource Manual is not bad in helping you learn to use MapSource.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/manual.html

follow the directions. Thanks for the reminder.

Can you tell us what file TechSup said?

vincentgs wrote:

Just figured out how to install the Maps from the Garmin DVD to my PC. I had to call Garmin tech support. By default when I load the DVD it starts playing and prompts for the GPS and will not run further until it finds the GPS. However, I was able to go through the explore mode and double click on a certain file (not .exe) in one of the folders. I am now able to explore the mape and create way points, POIs with alerts etc. Will try to upload some in the near future.

I just ordered the DVD for the maps preloaded on my Nuvi 880. Is that what YOU did too? And I do not need this disk to update the unit, because it is already updated.

Gee, I was hoping no more problems would turn up. ((sigh))

--
"Making tracks..." {:)-<=| Nuvi 880

Why did you buy DVD?

babago wrote:
vincentgs wrote:

Just figured out how to install the Maps from the Garmin DVD to my PC. I had to call Garmin tech support. By default when I load the DVD it starts playing and prompts for the GPS and will not run further until it finds the GPS. However, I was able to go through the explore mode and double click on a certain file (not .exe) in one of the folders. I am now able to explore the mape and create way points, POIs with alerts etc. Will try to upload some in the near future.

I just ordered the DVD for the maps preloaded on my Nuvi 880. Is that what YOU did too? And I do not need this disk to update the unit, because it is already updated.

Gee, I was hoping no more problems would turn up. ((sigh))

Why did you buy the DVD if you already had the map on your GPS since it came with it?

How do I get that file without disk?

aophiuchus wrote:
realdeal wrote:

What is the best way to learn how to use MapSource on my PC? I am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I was able to send all of the information from my GPS to my MapSource on my PC, but it seems like nothing is working correctly. Whenever I try and make routes to new locations/destinations it seems that it never finds it. Also, everytime I use MapSource am I supposed to save the file when it asks me to?

I also noticed that when I first downloaded MapSource from the
Garmin website it only listed a few states within the US that I believe was just putting that on the map. So when I received the 2009 NT America map from Garmin and downloaded that, did that mean that MapSource would now allow me to use all of the US states roads and highways or is it still restricted?

-----
Nuvi 780

It depends on what I'm doing if I save the file or don't.. If I'm just looking at a map I don't, but I have certain sets of maps from the topo maps that I save, or if I make a route I may save it.

In the top drop down window is the current map set you are using. If you have several map sets, Europe, Mexico and Australia you can select maps from each country by selecting maps and then changing the map set in the top window and selecting more maps and then save them to your unit or an sd card. These maps will be in addition to your base maps and 2009 map that are installed on your unit.

Another trick I learned is that you can select multiple maps by using the map tool (located on the tool bar) and hold down the left button and drag it over the maps... That makes selecting a complete country or continent much easier…

If you only have the 2009 map set installed you will probably only want save waypoints and routes and not maps as they are already in your gps…

Also on the 2009 disk is a file called "Selecting and Saving Map Sets Tutorial v4.00.exe". It is informative...

Is there a way for me to get that file? I was not given a disc for the 2009 map. Garmin gave me a free download from the website so I could have the 2009 map installed on my GPS since I bought it after the date that they set up for giving away a free download if you bought your GPS after that time frame this year.

Trial and google ..

Grumpa wrote:

I also find it useful to check on my wife's driving habits. She keeps telling me she drives reasonably but she gets the tickets and guzzles gas faster than she brings in the money.

I haven't actually used it for anything else but that feature alone makes it worthwhile to have. Mapquest and Google are better for me to create routes

Oh Boy, I bet she just loves the GPSr you won! razz

--
Using Android Based GPS.The above post and my sig reflects my own opinions, expressed for the purpose of informing or inspiring, not commanding. Naturally, you are free to reject or embrace whatever you read.

Two options

realdeal wrote:
aophiuchus wrote:
realdeal wrote:

What is the best way to learn how to use MapSource on my PC? I am having a hard time figuring it out. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. I was able to send all of the information from my GPS to my MapSource on my PC, but it seems like nothing is working correctly. Whenever I try and make routes to new locations/destinations it seems that it never finds it. Also, everytime I use MapSource am I supposed to save the file when it asks me to?

I also noticed that when I first downloaded MapSource from the
Garmin website it only listed a few states within the US that I believe was just putting that on the map. So when I received the 2009 NT America map from Garmin and downloaded that, did that mean that MapSource would now allow me to use all of the US states roads and highways or is it still restricted?

-----
Nuvi 780

It depends on what I'm doing if I save the file or don't.. If I'm just looking at a map I don't, but I have certain sets of maps from the topo maps that I save, or if I make a route I may save it.

In the top drop down window is the current map set you are using. If you have several map sets, Europe, Mexico and Australia you can select maps from each country by selecting maps and then changing the map set in the top window and selecting more maps and then save them to your unit or an sd card. These maps will be in addition to your base maps and 2009 map that are installed on your unit.

Another trick I learned is that you can select multiple maps by using the map tool (located on the tool bar) and hold down the left button and drag it over the maps... That makes selecting a complete country or continent much easier…

If you only have the 2009 map set installed you will probably only want save waypoints and routes and not maps as they are already in your gps…

Also on the 2009 disk is a file called "Selecting and Saving Map Sets Tutorial v4.00.exe". It is informative...

Is there a way for me to get that file? I was not given a disc for the 2009 map. Garmin gave me a free download from the website so I could have the 2009 map installed on my GPS since I bought it after the date that they set up for giving away a free download if you bought your GPS after that time frame this year.

You could call Garmin and I think they might send you the disk for $10 (That's what I did) or I've been told but haven't done it that you can open the downloaded file with a program like winzip and select the correct language file in the windows folder. It is a .msi file...

--
It is terrible to speak well and be wrong. -Sophocles snɥɔnıɥdoɐ aka ʎɹɐƃ

sponsored links