Mapquest or Google

 

Have been using the direct download from Google and Mapquest to my Gps.My son is down visting from Florida so I have been inporting some new spots to my favorites.Not sure if what I have discovered is due to the model Garmin I have or the difference between the sites.Maybe someone can try on another model and see if they duplicate it.I put in Motor World located 700 Birdneck Rd Virginia Beach VA.Resuls from Google all I get is the name Motor World to appear on gps screen.Mapquest I get the name,address and phone number just like I want.Big fan of Google but a little disappointed with the results.This has happen on several others using Google.I use business when I search and all the data is displayed on the site.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

How do you get google or

How do you get google or mapquest on your gps?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Download Garmin Communicator Plugin

rpm4 wrote:

How do you get google or mapquest on your gps?

You have to download the Garmin Communicator PlugIn and then you can download the routes from Google or Mapquest to the newer 600 & 700 series of the Garmin units.

Google or Mapquest

rpm4 wrote:

How do you get google or mapquest on your gps?

http://maps.google.com/ for Google

http://www.mapquest.com/ for Mapquest

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/ for plugin

You can watch the video instuctions at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_p1x-fL2zc

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I think I did it right, but

I think I did it right, but where would I find it on my Garmin 760?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Look under your favorites if

Look under your favorites if you done a single address.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Thanks, its there

charlesd45 wrote:

Look under your favorites if you done a single address.

One question. Could I have went to Google, typed in the place I wanted to go to and then manually input the city and address into my gps? Whats the advantage of using Google or Mapquest as oppossed to typing in city, address and go?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

You are correct in that you

You are correct in that you could also type in the info to your gps and get the same results.To me it is much easier using the direct input feature.Also some times you might not be able to located certain areas on your gps.One big advantage you have is that your unit I believe supports stored routes that Mapquest offers.Others who use that feature could add info to this post to help you out on how it works.

Edit using google maps also gives you the advantage of fine tuning the coordinates by moving the markers around.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I have the Nuvi 760

charlesd45 wrote:

One big advantage you have is that your unit I believe supports stored routes that Mapquest offers.Others who use that feature could add info to this post to help you out on how it works.

Edit using google maps also gives you the advantage of fine tuning the coordinates by moving the markers around.

I don't understand the part you edited? Moving what markers??

In terms of stored routes, I wouldn't know if mine has that capability (Nuvi 760) or how to use it...

Anyone?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

When you sign in to Google

When you sign in to Google maps and use the my map feature it allows you to move the marker(coordinates) closer to the road,driveway etc to get more to what you want.Right now you get fixed coordinates.Rest stops good example.The author of that file has moved the marker or coordinates closer to the ramp so the alerts will work.

The specs say you can store 10 routes.
Plan Ahead
nüvi 760 includes advanced navigational features to take the worry out of traveling. With route planning you can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns on the 760's wide screen. In addition, nüvi 760 automatically sorts multiple destinations to provide an efficient route for errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and Interstates.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

I still

charlesd45 wrote:

When you sign in to Google maps and use the my map feature it allows you to move the marker(coordinates) closer to the road,driveway etc to get more to what you want.errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and Interstates.

Don
t understand what you mean about moving markers?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

I still

charlesd45 wrote:

When you sign in to Google maps and use the my map feature it allows you to move the marker(coordinates) closer to the road,driveway etc to get more to what you want.errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and Interstates.

don't understand what you mean about moving markers?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

Check this out and see if it

Check this out and see if it helps, Go to Gary's website and he also has info on this.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/13464

--
Jerry...Jacksonville,Fl Nüvi1450,Nuvi650,Nuvi 2495 and Mapsource.

Thanks

adcusnret wrote:

Check this out and see if it helps, Go to Gary's website and he also has info on this.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/13464

Is the point of all of this to get closer to where you want to be?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

yes and no, the real point

yes and no, the real point is to get where you want and do it like you want too and as close as you can

Google maps will do a route between two points that you put in. If you don't like the route, you can drag the route around to where you want it. For instance, say you want to go from your address to walmart. Google maps takes you down a street that you know for sure has horrible traffic. you can drag a point in the route to another street and it recalculates the route based on that move. I do it alot because I want to stay on interstates even if it is longer. Hopes this helps. Just go to google maps and play around with it. Put the mouse on the highlighted route (after you get the route) and drag it around. It will make more sense.

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

Then

asianfire wrote:

yes and no, the real point is to get where you want and do it like you want too and as close as you can

Google maps will do a route between two points that you put in. If you don't like the route, you can drag the route around to where you want it. For instance, say you want to go from your address to walmart. Google maps takes you down a street that you know for sure has horrible traffic. you can drag a point in the route to another street and it recalculates the route based on that move. I do it alot because I want to stay on interstates even if it is longer. Hopes this helps. Just go to google maps and play around with it. Put the mouse on the highlighted route (after you get the route) and drag it around. It will make more sense.

You could send to your gps right?

--
Chevrolet, an American Revolution.

yeah, you can send it to a

yeah, you can send it to a 7xx or 8xx GPSr. I can download it to a 350, but only get the beginning and ending points, not routes.

--
Charley - Nuvi 350 - Bel STI Driver - Cobra 29 w/ wilson 1000 - AIM: asianfire -

I believe my orginial

I believe my orginial question at the start of the post got lost in the shuffle.Did anyone get a chance to try the address and let me know what results you got?

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Off Topic...

I looked up my house on Google Maps Street View.

A couple of months ago, I was doing some work on my house. Supplies Kept disappearing.

Google maps caught the guy running down my driveway with an arm full of MY stuff!

surprised

WOW....

johnnynormal510 wrote:

I looked up my house on Google Maps Street View.

A couple of months ago, I was doing some work on my house. Supplies Kept disappearing.

Google maps caught the guy running down my driveway with an arm full of MY stuff!

surprised

WOW shock.... technology these days

i assume you have not seen those supplies since?

--
Garmin Nüvi 750

routes

asianfire wrote:

yeah, you can send it to a 7xx or 8xx GPSr. I can download it to a 350, but only get the beginning and ending points, not routes.

Asianfire
How do you get it to send to gps for routes with Google Maps?I can set the route add stops etc but see no means to send to gps.My understanding is that it is not set up for Google to do that yet.I am trying to help someone with a 700 series unit to do just that.With Mapquest you can set up the route and send to GPS.I myself would prefer Google to do routes.Have I missed a step?

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

.

You can't send routes from Google maps to any unit.

If you want to send routes to a 7xx, you need to use MapQuest or Garmin's MapSource software.

Thanks .As I posted that was

Thanks .As I posted that was my understanding also.But after seeing one of the comments from another member wanted to verified his answer and make sure I hadn't missed something or a new version out.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

5xx series?

Do you know if there is anything for those of us left with the Garmin 5xx series? I have the Garmin c530 and I have spent an hour or so trying to figure out what I did wrong because I could not get the maps from google to upload to my Garmin. I then realized that my model was probably to old. I was upset but searched on the net for a different program and came up with a random one that did not work. I would love to load some places on my Garmin but I'm still trying to learn everything.

.

You can't load maps from Google maps to any GPS unit.

You can load individual locations from Google maps to Garmin units by downloading the Garmin Communicator plug-in from Garmin's website and installing it to your computer with your GPS unit attached to your computer with the USB cable.

Then once you search for a location, you hit the Send button in Google Maps, select GPS, and follow the prompts.

The locations will show up in your Favorites.