new & interesting places for your GPS

Anyone thought of doing a Gluten Free Restaurant POI?

 

My Wife is Gluten free (Celiac Disease) and it's always a challange to find restaurants while traveling or even at home. I am going to try to build one, but thought I would find out if there is anyone else would have an interest.

gluten and casein free

anthonyzeh wrote:

My Wife is Gluten free (Celiac Disease) and it's always a challange to find restaurants while traveling or even at home. I am going to try to build one, but thought I would find out if there is anyone else would have an interest.

Dear Anthony,

I have an interest in restaurants that are free from both wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein).

david

--
nüvi 1490T, V1, Sanyo PRO-700a, maps, sunglasses, hot co-pilot, the open road

gluten free

I'm interested in the project cause I have a cousin in lincoln nebraska that has the prob..great idea.

I think that this would be a

I think that this would be a wonderful project and a great resource to have here at POI Factory.

Thanks for opening this idea up.

Miss POI

pass the bread please

Not important to my family diet but wanted to help my fellow POI-Factory friends.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/adv_search.php

Enter country and cuisine and you will see a list to get you guys started.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7

great link

flaco wrote:

Not important to my family diet but wanted to help my fellow POI-Factory friends.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/adv_search.php

Enter country and cuisine and you will see a list to get you guys started.

This would be one of those opportunities to contact this company and offer to geocode their information so that both of our sites can have the information. They may be able to give us a list that is easier to use then their search engine.

Miss POI

Great idea!

A gluten free POI would be very useful!

--
Paul

wheat and dairy free

flaco wrote:

Not important to my family diet but wanted to help my fellow POI-Factory friends.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/adv_search.php

Enter country and cuisine and you will see a list to get you guys started.

Dear Flaco,

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well?

david

--
nüvi 1490T, V1, Sanyo PRO-700a, maps, sunglasses, hot co-pilot, the open road

bon apetit

davidwynyard wrote:

Dear Flaco,

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well?

david

You got me, I got gluten free restaurants by doing a google search I don't see anyting similar for casein.

--
Garmin 38 - Magellan Gold - Garmin Yellow eTrex - Nuvi 260 - Nuvi 2460LMT - Google Nexus 7

I shall have to do more research.

flaco wrote:
davidwynyard wrote:

Dear Flaco,

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well?

david

You got me, I got gluten free restaurants by doing a google search I don't see anyting similar for casein.

Thank you, sir. I shall have to do more research.

david

--
nüvi 1490T, V1, Sanyo PRO-700a, maps, sunglasses, hot co-pilot, the open road

gluten free

davidwynyard wrote:
flaco wrote:
davidwynyard wrote:

Dear Flaco,

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well?

david

You got me, I got gluten free restaurants by doing a google search I don't see anyting similar for casein.

Thank you, sir. I shall have to do more research.

david

here is a site that has Gluten free things listed by state
http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/order-gps-download.do

--
Everyday is a GREAT day :)

Gluten Free Registry

anthonyzeh wrote:

My Wife is Gluten free (Celiac Disease) and it's always a challange to find restaurants while traveling or even at home. I am going to try to build one, but thought I would find out if there is anyone else would have an interest.

We're in a similar situation. Traveling can be very difficult. On past vacations my wife would get very sick because we had to take too many chances being away from our usual gluten-free resources.

Check out www.glutenfreeregistry.com. They have downloadable POI files of gluten-free restaurants, bakeries, etc. You can submit content to their database, and even search from your cell phone (www.gfregistry.mobi)! Now we use their site to plan our vacations. We hope you find this useful. smile

Gluten Free Registry

I just looked at their website and reading the terms you can't copy their location onto another site as they have a copywrite. You can purchase a state or multi states at a cost then you can put it on one gps system. May want Miss POI to check this out before putting anything on this site.

--
johnm405 660 & MSS&T

yup

johnm405 wrote:

I just looked at their website and reading the terms you can't copy their location onto another site as they have a copywrite. You can purchase a state or multi states at a cost then you can put it on one gps system. May want Miss POI to check this out before putting anything on this site.

You are right John, we would not be able to post that information here;)

Miss POI

But we can compile our own

But we can compile our own using various resources.

Too Many Chains

I was researching this with the intention of taking it on b/c my daughter is on the autism spectrum, but found quickly that many of the big chains have gluten free menues. I do not have the time to do all of the "Boston Markets, Chilis, P.F Chaings etc....." but if people want to submit local places that provide good food for both Gluten Free and gluten tolerate diners I will take that on.

Is there still an interest in this project?

Just joined the site.

I have not downloaded the gluten free registry POI databases to see how good they are but I might have an interest in starting a new POI for AZ to try this tool set out. Could others get benefit from it as well?

re:Is there still an interest in this project?

aztechie wrote:

Just joined the site.

I have not downloaded the gluten free registry POI databases to see how good they are but I might have an interest in starting a new POI for AZ to try this tool set out. Could others get benefit from it as well?

I'm interested in adding to this. I'm in the chicago area and there are a few non-chain places. I've started a small file. The criteria for the restaurants I'm adding to it are that they have a separate gluten free menu.

GF and Casein Free

davidwynyard wrote:

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well? david

I just joined and saw this topic which is important to me. I thought I would share a site I use that you can search by a number of different food issues including casein.

http://www.specialgourmets.com/?lang=EN&place_id=12891

But having a POI of them would be very helpful.

DM

--
One Planet, One People.

Thank you

DoragonMama wrote:
davidwynyard wrote:

How can I find out whether they are casein free as well? david

I just joined and saw this topic which is important to me. I thought I would share a site I use that you can search by a number of different food issues including casein.

http://www.specialgourmets.com/?lang=EN&place_id=12891

But having a POI of them would be very helpful.

DM

Dear DM,

Thank you.

david

--
nüvi 1490T, V1, Sanyo PRO-700a, maps, sunglasses, hot co-pilot, the open road

How can I chip in?

Hey there!

I know some good GF restaurants in Canada. How can we work out the process to add up our points to your file? Is there any way to get what you've made yet? If it's possible for you to make this file, please let me know. You can reach my by e-mail at fukombe@hotmail.com. As for the subject line, I would suggest something like "Gluten-free POI". There's a strong filter on my inbox, but with a subject like like that, I'll understand what it's about.

Also, I know that Outback and P.F.Changs offer GF menus. It might be a good idea to add those chains to the list. I've sent a message to P.F.Changs for a complete list of their restaurants in order to make a POI file for this chain. I'm about to do the same with Outback.

Thanks!

:::: Alex

starting one

I am working on one and will post it sometime in the next few days. I'm new here so need to figure that out. So far have mostly grabbed some other people's work on major chains & some local areas I visit, either POI files already here or google maps user lists. So far I have most Carrabbas, PF Chang, Baja fresh, five guys, chipotle, & outback, as well as local info from DC, maryland, new york & a few other individual locations I've been for trips. Instead of having the different chains, I want to make a single "gluten free" nationwide file I would just use instead of "restaurants." I will add info from anywhere. If any of you know of good google maps or POI file compilations I should include, please send a link. GLutenfreeregistry already has some of these mapped if you want them, but they sell the files for $10+ per city. I won't use their maps or files here, as they claim copyright.

Not Me

I can appreciate why you're asking, but I have no family members that have this problem, so my knowledge is very limited. I do know one pizza place around the corner from me and I'd be glad to pass the info to anthony, if he's interested in doing a POI.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

sponsored links