new & interesting places for your GPS

Help needed - Disconnecting a nuvi from a PC via USB issues

 

Greetings,

I gather that it is important to properly disconnect a nuvi from its PC connection after a POI loading, firmware update, etc.

What I do is go to my PC's "My Computer", right click my "nuvi drive", then click Eject. This makes the nuvi drive disappear in My Computer and turns off the nuvi. Then I unplug the USB cable. This is what I should be doing, right?

Now for the confusion: When I have a SD card in the nuvi and connect it to my PC, all works as above, and the SD card appears as an addtional drive along with the "nuvi drive". But when I go to Eject the nuvi drive to safely unplug the USB cord, the nuvi and SD drives don't disappear and the nuvi doesn't turn off. I end up having to unplug the USB cord with the nuvi active. Does anyone else see this? This occurs both with empty SD cards and SD cards with files (roughly a 1 GB Topo USA 2008 map). This failure to disconnect occurs both when I try to Eject the nuvi and when I try to Eject the SD card.

What I do now is add files to my SD card directly from the PC (via my PC's SD reader) and I load POI's, etc. into the nuvi with no SD card in the nuvi. But this only works when I remember to do it--I have forgotten and USBed my nuvi with a SD card in place and return to the nail-biting disconnect issue.

I have waited a minute or so to see if there's a delayed "disconnect" but the nuvi and SD card still won't disconnect. Is it possible that I need to wait much longer and that they will disconnect if I wait long enough?

Anyone else with this issue--or is there someone with a latest-firmware updated nuvi 750 like me who does NOT see this issue I have? Should I be doing something different?

Thanks.

You are Not Alone

On my Mac, I can eject the drives independently and all goes smoothly. However on the PC, they won't eject. With the advent of hot swappable devices, I think the only thing you have to watch out for is that you not pull the plug while something is being written to the drive -- that could cause a corruption of drive data and necessitate copying your backed-up data back to the drive. I will admit that I try not to write anything to my main drive except for Garmin updates -- no data. I also plan to get a new card reader so that I don't have to plug the GPS in; my old reader doesn't recognize the card for some reason.

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

Thanks

bentbiker wrote:

On my Mac, I can eject the drives independently and all goes smoothly. However on the PC, they won't eject. With the advent of hot swappable devices, I think the only thing you have to watch out for is that you not pull the plug while something is being written to the drive -- that could cause a corruption of drive data and necessitate copying your backed-up data back to the drive. I will admit that I try not to write anything to my main drive except for Garmin updates -- no data. I also plan to get a new card reader so that I don't have to plug the GPS in; my old reader doesn't recognize the card for some reason.

Thanks. You recumbent folks are AOK (albeit still odd-looking to me as you ride inches from the pavement wink

No Respect

CraigW wrote:

You recumbent folks are AOK (albeit still odd-looking to me as you ride inches from the pavement wink

We are the Rodney Dangerfields of cycling. However, with two 650C wheeels, I'm hardly on a lowracer -- the closest any part of my body gets to the ground is about 24".

http://www.bacchettabikes.com/recumbents/bikes/aero.htm

Not like those wacky uprights where you can't even pedal through a sharp turn without the pedals hitting the ground. smile

--
Nuvi 660 -- and not upgrading it or maps until Garmin fixes long-standing bugs/problems, and get maps to where they are much more current, AND corrected on a more timely basis when advised of mistakes.

You must follow the steps exactly

CraigW wrote:

I gather that it is important to properly disconnect a nuvi from its PC connection after a POI loading, firmware update, etc.

Yes, the sequence is very tricky and the slightest mis-step will be catastrophic. Here are the steps necessary:

1) Grasp cable with thumb and forefinger.
2) Pull outward.

Seriously - GPS, camera, card reader, whatever... I have never had a problem with this with WinXP. I just wait a moment to be sure it is done copying the data and yank the cord or remove the card. Now Windows 98, that was an ENTIRELY different story!

This site offers a free

This site offers a free utility!! What is USB Disk Ejector?:
A program that allows you to quickly remove USB devices in Windows. It was originally designed to remove only USB pen drives but will now eject any USB device. It can be run as a non-visual command line program or a normal gui program.
It works real well and it is "FREE"

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

USB Disk Ejector

Looks like a nice little utility to have. thanks for the tip, nickjr

--
nuvi 2460LMT

Disconnect

I use my sd card to upload poi's and only connect the nuvi for updates. when I'm finished I just pull the plug. No problems noted....

On a PC

If you are using a PC, then click on the green arrow in the lower right portion of your screen (you may have to unhide it). When you disconnect the nuvi, it automatically disconnects the sd card as well.

--
Glenn - Southern MD; SP C330 / Nuvi 750 / Nuvi 265WT

.

I've had no problem just pulling the USB plug after I've closed anything that's loading.

--
nuvi 200 | lifetime maps

Safely Remove Hardware

CraigW wrote:

Greetings,

I gather that it is important to properly disconnect a nuvi from its PC connection after a POI loading, firmware update, etc.

Use the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature to do this.
It works in both Windows XP and Vista .

  1. Double-click on the icon in the system tray.
  2. Ensure that "Display device components" is checked in the dialog.
  3. Click on either Nuvi device.
  4. Click on the "Stop" button, then click on OK.

Windows will remove both Nuvi devices from the system.

See the following screen captures for details:

http://i32.tinypic.com/fwot3n.jpg
--
Nüvi 2595LMT, nüvi 760, TomTom START 45M, Galaxy Nexus

Safely Remove Hardware

Interesting string... you really should use the "Safely Remove Hardware" method before disconnecting the USB. If you single click on the icon in the tray, it'll list any drives it'll remove for you. On mine, with XP running, my Zumo and the SD card show up as two drives... yet, one entry. A single click will shut down both drives.

Yes, you can just yank the cord... of course, don't come back whining the time you do it and it corrupts your data... and/or possibly the unit.

razz

--
"For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

.

Thanks, I'll do it that way from now on. Mine works as above on XP with no stop button. It only takes a couple of seconds longer than just pulling the plug, which I have been doing with no adverse effects.

--
nuvi 200 | lifetime maps

Thanks

WAASup wrote:
CraigW wrote:

Greetings,

I gather that it is important to properly disconnect a nuvi from its PC connection after a POI loading, firmware update, etc.

Use the "Safely Remove Hardware" feature to do this.
It works in both Windows XP and Vista .

  1. Double-click on the icon in the system tray.
  2. Ensure that "Display device components" is checked in the dialog.
  3. Click on either Nuvi device.
  4. Click on the "Stop" button, then click on OK.

Windows will remove both Nuvi devices from the system.

See the following screen captures for details:

http://i32.tinypic.com/fwot3n.jpg

Thanks. It works! I had tried that method earlier but didn't have the "Display Device Components" checked. Once it's checked, stopping either the nivu or the nuvi's SD card safely disconnects both, just as you wrote. Thanks again.

But...

johnc wrote:
CraigW wrote:

I gather that it is important to properly disconnect a nuvi from its PC connection after a POI loading, firmware update, etc.

Yes, the sequence is very tricky and the slightest mis-step will be catastrophic. Here are the steps necessary:

1) Grasp cable with thumb and forefinger.
2) Pull outward.

Seriously - GPS, camera, card reader, whatever... I have never had a problem with this with WinXP. I just wait a moment to be sure it is done copying the data and yank the cord or remove the card. Now Windows 98, that was an ENTIRELY different story!

Should left-handed folks do your two steps in reverse order? wink

Seriously, though, I imagine that you're right. My worry originated in having read that several folks had to return their nuvis to Garmin for repairs after a WebUpdate and several folks suggested the nuvi failure post USB-Update was due to a failure to safely disconnect and was not related to the actual firmware update. That's why I was asking here about disconnecting after I found that I couldn't disconnect when a SD card was in my nuvi.

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 11 users and 40 guests online.

Online users

  • kurzemnieks
  • eport
  • FreddyP
  • stevel123
  • vmsk65
  • LostWithoutGPS
  • Pillowcase
  • Panache
  • user2287
  • rgonzalez1121