new & interesting places for your GPS

Tom Tom 720 GO and RED SQUARE POI icons faulty How to correct?

 

I downloaded some POI's and converted them. Most worked, but for retail store Target and a few others, I got RED SQUARES for icons. How can I fix this?

Someone said something about 3 columns. I was not sure as to what they were talking about in that thread.

Any help would be awesome for my Tom Tom 720!

how did you convert the POI files?

newbie here.

Are you saying you downloaded POI file from this website (seems most are created for Garmin), and then converted to TomTom format?

I'm a TT720 user also, so am interested in how you did this.

Thanks!

Reply to downloads from this site and then converting them

I used the POI's I downloaded from this site and used www.poieditor.com to edit these files. It will tell you on that website how to actually do it. If you have problems though..lemme know! Thanks!

Icons

TomTom icons are 22x22 bmps. All you need to do is convert them in a simple picture editor and they will work just fine.

Did you make sure that ...

Did you make sure that the .bmp and .ov2 files share the same name???

eg, Target.bmp and Target.ov2

(BTW, my first post; WOOHOO!)

Icons

Along with 22x22 pixels in size and named the same as the ov2 file, they absolutely must be 8-bit. I have been creating my own from differnt images and even though PhotoShop says the image is 8-bit, it will only save as 16-bit bmp until you change the image 'mode' to "Indexed Color" and set it to "Windows System" which then lets you save as an 8-bit bmp file.

In case you are inclined to get all detailed and stuff. smile

of course!!!

PoorNTx wrote:

Along with 22x22 pixels in size and named the same as the ov2 file, they absolutely must be 8-bit. I have been creating my own from differnt images and even though PhotoShop says the image is 8-bit, it will only save as 16-bit bmp until you change the image 'mode' to "Indexed Color" and set it to "Windows System" which then lets you save as an 8-bit bmp file.

In case you are inclined to get all detailed and stuff. smile

Oh yeah, that too! smile
8-bit is the same as 256 color (2^8). Just putting this out since sometimes the Save As doesn't show 8-bit, only 256 color, like in MS Paint.

I've also noticed that some of my icons are 24x24 and not necessarily square as well (eg, 24x12). So, is 22x22 not really the threshold? How much bigger can it go?

poieditor.com - worked great!

jonnymac401 wrote:

I used the POI's I downloaded from this site and used www.poieditor.com to edit these files.

great suggestion for poieditor. worked well for me!

great tip!

Ducati wrote:

8-bit is the same as 256 color (2^8). Just putting this out since sometimes the Save As doesn't show 8-bit, only 256 color, like in MS Paint.

Great tip - thanks. I use MS Paint, your tip helped me get rid of the red icons!

sponsored links



Navigation



User login

Leave this blank! This field helps block spambots.

poi factory



Who's online

There are currently 16 users and 34 guests online.

Online users

  • mahoney
  • lweistroff
  • UZA_Dave
  • dagarmin
  • Choc_chip
  • John Coffield
  • johnm405
  • clarklewis
  • cbirnbaum
  • damonrcarr