3597 goes into Standby mode when external power is lost

 

Recently, I have noticed a change the behavior of my old trusted 3597. I have been leaving it on my car and always with it plugged to the cigarette lighter through the Gramin HD traffic receiver power cable that came with the 3597.

The 3597 used to power up as follows when I start the car:
Power up manually or when I start the car:

1. Screen shows GARMIN logo, loading maps.
2. Shows the warning screen
3. Press “Agree” or wait for a few seconds
4. 3597 shows the ready to navigate screen or the map

When I turn of the ignition key of the car, the 3597 displays: “ External power has been lost. Turning off in xx seconds”. xx counts down from 15. The screen turns off when xx gets down to 0.

The behavior of the 3595 changed recently when I reloaded the 2023.20 map. The power down sequence remains the same. However, it skips step 1 during power up.

My interpretation is that it now goes into the “standby” mode while it used to turn off completely. Just curious what triggered the change. Maybe my senior moment is getter the upper hand on me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

There is a thread on the Garmin Forum on this subject. The Garmin Support indicates that the GPSRs are supposed to go into the “Standby” mode instead of turning off.

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/ga...

No Change

All three of my 3597's go into standby mode after the countdown sequence. I have to hold in the power button to turn the units off completely.

I'm not sure about any changes, since I haven't yet loaded 2023.20.

No change for me either

My 3597 & DS76 have both done that from day one.

The DS76 will power down to standby if you don't move the vehicle after a certain time even with power applied. Never bothered to see how long it takes - probably tells you in the manual.

--
Metricman Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

Ditto for me

bdhsfz6 wrote:

All three of my 3597's go into standby mode after the countdown sequence. I have to hold in the power button to turn the units off completely.

I'm not sure about any changes, since I haven't yet loaded 2023.20.

I see the same.

I wonder what battery level your 3597 had, pillowcase, when your vehicle startup showed the Garmin logo and full reboot. I wonder if the 3597 back then had a very weak battery, and even after going to standby when external power was lost, the low battery level fully shut down the 3597 sometime later. Now that your 3597 skips the logo and reboot, maybe the 3597 battery has a better charge and the lengthy reboot isn't needed.

That's all I can think of that would give your original results.

Craig, good point

CraigW wrote:
bdhsfz6 wrote:

I wonder what battery level your 3597 had, pillowcase, when your vehicle startup showed the Garmin logo and full reboot. I wonder if the 3597 back then had a very weak battery, and even after going to standby when external power was lost, the low battery level fully shut down the 3597 sometime later. Now that your 3597 skips the logo and reboot, maybe the 3597 battery has a better charge and the lengthy reboot isn't needed.

That's all I can think of that would give your original results.

Craig, good point; it was just a few years ago, at the peak of CoVid, that many of us seldom drove our cars. With working at home, many stores and restaurants closed, mine often sat unused for several days.

--
John from PA

Good points, Thanks

John from PA wrote:
CraigW wrote:
bdhsfz6 wrote:

I wonder what battery level your 3597 had, pillowcase, when your vehicle startup showed the Garmin logo and full reboot. I wonder if the 3597 back then had a very weak battery, and even after going to standby when external power was lost, the low battery level fully shut down the 3597 sometime later. Now that your 3597 skips the logo and reboot, maybe the 3597 battery has a better charge and the lengthy reboot isn't needed.

That's all I can think of that would give your original results.

Craig, good point; it was just a few years ago, at the peak of CoVid, that many of us seldom drove our cars. With working at home, many stores and restaurants closed, mine often sat unused for several days.

Good points, Craig and John. bdhsfz6 and metricman, thanks for the info.

I never did paid any attention to the battery level.

It is a good thing that the 3597 is now working the way it is suppose to work. I will keep an eye on how it progresses.

Hopefully, the 3597 will stay working well for some time. smile

Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays, all.

New

sounds like its time for a new one.

Agreed...

I had the same experience.

--
RKF (Brookeville, MD) Garmin Nuvi 660, 360 & Street Pilot

Same here, probably more of

Same here, probably more of the battery health/charge as it will shutdown on a weak battery when there is no external power.

Both of mine shut down

I have two 3597's and both of them power fully down when external power is removed. The screen shows the power down decreasing time until shutoff. Powering back up shows the logo and map copyrights followed by the agree screen and then the ready screen. This has been the normal sequence since I have had both of these units. Both are fully up to date.
R/The Ogre

--
The Ogre

i have notice this alos

Never happened before my last map update.

It appears my DS55 is doing

It appears my DS55 is doing that after being in standby for a couple days. Over the weekend.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

2 hour battery life when new

We should keep in mind as well, Garmins rates the battery life “up to 2 hours” and that is when the device is new. The 3597 came out in January 2013 so conceivably the battery is pushing 10 years old. Compromised life might be expected, even in standby mode, and perhaps some cooler temperatures further reduce perceived battery life.

--
John from PA

Change the message

Pillowcase wrote:

...
There is a thread on the Garmin Forum on this subject. The Garmin Support indicates that the GPSRs are supposed to go into the “Standby” mode instead of turning off.

https://forums.garmin.com/apps-software/mobile-apps-web/f/ga...

I just read that thread and it's quite infuriating how Garmin insists that even though the displayed message says "OFF" it really means STANDBY. At the very least, if Garmin doesn't want to change how shutdown really works it should just CORRECT THE DAMN MESSAGE.

Phil

--
"No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."