For those of you who are upgrading your Lamborghini this year

 

If you want a GPS that responds to gibberish by design. I have nothing to add: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/27/business/lamborghini-hura...

IIRC the paywall permitted 10 accesses per month.

Screw the paywall. Add this

Screw the paywall. Add this to your ublock origin custom filters.

-----
nytimes.com##+js(cookie-remover)
-----

Do not include the dashes.

Why would I want a cookie remover?

zx1100e1 wrote:

Screw the paywall. Add this to your ublock origin custom filters.

-----
nytimes.com##+js(cookie-remover)
-----

Do not include the dashes.

I tried to understand your point by reading https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ublock-origin-custom-fil... . My head went numb. Are you trying to block ads? I don't see any ads but my Firefox browser has Adblocker Ultimate, Duckduckgo Essentials, Privacy Badger, and all that F'fox cuts out.

Why would I want a cookie remover? (I can read the comments!) I am a subscriber. I don't want to sign in for every article and cookies retain my credentials.

What don't I get?

Ublock origin can do much

Ublock origin can do much more than just block ads. I used to use adblockplus, but then someone turned me on to ublock. Among other benefits, main one was that it's less resource hungry. It can also hide your private ip addr.

I am not a subscriber to nytimes but do visit there occasionally when someone sends me a link. The paywall thing is annoying. Clearly not a hardwall either as the above filter allows one to view the content. Believe I found it on reddit some time ago.

My guess is a cookie is set when a nonsubscriber reads an article. Updated each time user reads an article. After X articles it wants $$$. This filter removes said cookie?

whoa thanks for the paywall

whoa thanks for the paywall workaround!

Thanks

This is good to know.

--
When you are dead, you don’t know that you are dead. It is only difficult for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

I don't know how the NYTimes keeps track

zx1100e1 wrote:

Ublock origin can do much more than just block ads. I used to use adblockplus, but then someone turned me on to ublock. Among other benefits, main one was that it's less resource hungry. It can also hide your private ip addr.

I am not a subscriber to nytimes but do visit there occasionally when someone sends me a link. The paywall thing is annoying. Clearly not a hardwall either as the above filter allows one to view the content. Believe I found it on reddit some time ago.

My guess is a cookie is set when a nonsubscriber reads an article. Updated each time user reads an article. After X articles it wants $$$. This filter removes said cookie?

I don't know how the NYTimes keeps track. They have an extra cost feature called Wirecutter which I don't subscribe to. I exceeded my allowance and was rebuffed. Then I deleted the cookies (this on FireFox) and they still knew. I went to the Brave browser and was rebuffed too. I think (ha!) that an alternate free account used with private browsing might work but I don't care enough to try.

getting back to ...

Getting back to the content of the referenced article, to me the "what three words" mapping system just sounds like a silly fad. I guess I shouldn't judge it unless I have an opportunity to try it and see it in action, but I don't have any friends rich enough to own that kind of car.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

incognito

minke wrote:

I don't know how the NYTimes keeps track. They have an extra cost feature called Wirecutter which I don't subscribe to. I exceeded my allowance and was rebuffed. Then I deleted the cookies (this on FireFox) and they still knew. I went to the Brave browser and was rebuffed too. I think (ha!) that an alternate free account used with private browsing might work but I don't care enough to try.

Sometimes if you have an 'incognito' type feature on your browser you can still view the pages, but with the ads in tact.

I tried the things mentioned about with ublock and that seems to have done the trick.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

3rd party

minke wrote:

Why would I want a cookie remover? (I can read the comments!) I am a subscriber. I don't want to sign in for every article and cookies retain my credentials.

What don't I get?

You want to get rid of the tracking cookies, aka 3rd party cookies, that follow your habits and send ads your way they think you'd be interested in.

Quote:

Similar to first-party cookies, third-party cookies do not cause a huge impact. Inherently, cookies are not dangerous and will not infect your computer with harmful viruses or malware. However, third-party cookies can be seen as an invasion of privacy to some users.

https://www.cookiepro.com/knowledge/what-is-a-third-party-co...

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Article?

I think the APP is available on your phone through an app store. I am thinking about trying it to compare to everything I use to find locations that might be new or forgotten. Might be fun to scream at my phone some random three words an see where it takes me. Oh, and the looks from people that hear you do it would be priceless.

--
James O. Willey Homeless trucker Just another day in Paradise, If it gets any better I'm jumping off a cliff.

Article?

alandb wrote:

Getting back to the content of the referenced article, to me the "what three words" mapping system just sounds like a silly fad. I guess I shouldn't judge it unless I have an opportunity to try it and see it in action, but I don't have any friends rich enough to own that kind of car.

I think the APP is available on your phone through an app store. I am thinking about trying it to compare to everything I use to find locations that might be new or forgotten. Might be fun to scream at my phone some random three words an see where it takes me. Oh, and the looks from people that hear you do it would be priceless.

--
James O. Willey Homeless trucker Just another day in Paradise, If it gets any better I'm jumping off a cliff.

I am guilty on not making my status-quo clear

soberbyker wrote:
minke wrote:

Why would I want a cookie remover? (I can read the comments!) I am a subscriber. I don't want to sign in for every article and cookies retain my credentials.

What don't I get?

You want to get rid of the tracking cookies, aka 3rd party cookies, that follow your habits and send ads your way they think you'd be interested in.

Quote:

Similar to first-party cookies, third-party cookies do not cause a huge impact. Inherently, cookies are not dangerous and will not infect your computer with harmful viruses or malware. However, third-party cookies can be seen as an invasion of privacy to some users.

https://www.cookiepro.com/knowledge/what-is-a-third-party-co...

I am guilty on not making my status-quo clear. First FireFox does it’s own protection. Then I have Privacy Badger, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, and AdBlocker Ultimate. I wondered if ublock was doing something that I didn’t know or understand.

Found this discussion on

Found this discussion on reddit;

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacytoolsIO/comments/hhl1fr/ublo...

I will say this, since switching to ublock, i've had to make some custom entries to get some banking sites to work as they use third party sites for some of their function (bill pay for example). Ultimately I get practically no ads anywhere (99.999999%). I can't even remember the last ad that came up.

I too use firefox with enhanced protection on. I'm sure there's some overlap between FF and UBO, and that's ok too. Should be easy enough to try out. Disable existing ad blocker, install UBO.

Here's a list of my default filters.

https://i.imgur.com/6nLSdX9.png

Simply not interested in

Simply not interested in anything the NY Times reports.
Other sources are available.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Perhaps you can be helpful

KenSny wrote:

Simply not interested in anything the NY Times reports.
Other sources are available.

Perhaps you can be helpful and tell us how e.g. the OAN or NewsMax coverage was on this topic. Was there any elaboration beyond the NYTimes coverage? Were there any corrections?

Off topic: I am not interested in buttermilk.

Louis Rossman has a thing or

Louis Rossman has a thing or two to say about adblockers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jUxOnoWsFU

Very interesting.