Map Updater

 

I'm trying to get back to where I was before my HD went out. I have a GPSMAP 478 and need the program Garmin Map Updater to install the latest maps on the unit. I know the link I had doesn't work anymore for some reason. Does anyone have a link to the program? My link keeps telling me the Garmin Servers are not connected?
Thanks,
Robert

--
Thanks, Robert

Maps

Deerhead wrote:

I'm trying to get back to where I was before my HD went out. I have a GPSMAP 478 and need the program Garmin Map Updater to install the latest maps on the unit. I know the link I had doesn't work anymore for some reason. Does anyone have a link to the program? My link keeps telling me the Garmin Servers are not connected?
Thanks,
Robert

Why not use Garmin Express to download the maps? https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/windows/ .I do have the map updater exe file saved on my computer. If you send me a email on the contact form for me. I could send it back to you.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Try MapInstall

If Garmin Express will not work, then try Garmin MapInstall.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

I have to use MapInstall to get the complete North America map on my backup Nuvi 660. Garmin express will not install the complete map in 2 pieces. 1/2 goes into the 2gb onboard memory and the other 1/2 goes to a SD card.

Let us know what works.

--
Metricman Nuvi 660, GTM-20 Traffic Receiver Nuvi 3597 GTM-60 Traffic Receiver Williamsburg, VA

It's still there

From the FAQ here: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39873

GarminMapUpdater is still available from Garmin. I just tested it by downloading the PC version and will assume the Mac version is still available too.

MapUpdater

CraigW wrote:

From the FAQ here: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39873

GarminMapUpdater is still available from Garmin. I just tested it by downloading the PC version and will assume the Mac version is still available too.

I used the link and keep getting an error message about connection the server, which I think they mean Garmins' server?

--
Thanks, Robert

The link above goes to the

The link above goes to the article I the FAQ listing the PC and Mac links to the program. Both links there worked for me.

Try this: http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Server Error

I know the error message Deerhead is seeing. I ran into the same problem and finally gave up.

You can download the file from the link mentioned just fine. But when you go to execute the file (right-click-->Run as administrator), that's where you get the server error. I first experienced this several months ago. I could no longer install MapUpdater. Whatever the install process is looking for on the Garmin servers, it is no longer there.

I finally had to give in and use Garmin Express.

Here's the error --> https://i.imgur.com/px1kME8.jpg

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Ah

Gary A wrote:

I know the error message Deerhead is seeing. I ran into the same problem and finally gave up.

You can download the file from the link mentioned just fine. But when you go to execute the file (right-click-->Run as administrator), that's where you get the server error...

Ah, I see now. Yes indeed, it seems Garmin Express is the way to go, for now at least, and probably forever.

I've contacted canuk, who maintains the FAQ here, regarding adding a comment to the FAQ that although the program can be downloaded and installed, it won't update maps because it no longer connects to Garmin's servers.

Does Not Install

It doesn't even install. It's during the installation process that the server error pops up and the installation process can't complete.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Strange

Oops ... ignore, blond moment smile

--
Where there's a will ... there's a way ... DriveSmart50LMT-D, Nuvi 2508LMT-D, 1490LMT, 1310, Montana 650T, Etrex 20