New Windows 10 VERSION (Yikes!)

 

A new Windows 10 VERSION showed up last night on my computer ready for me to install. So I did. From the brief description I didn't appreciate that it was a new version I was installing, so I started it at 1 a.m. It finally finished at 2:15 a.m., 75 minutes later. And I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.
Here are the details:

Announcement: Feature Update to Windows 10 Version 2004

From the ABOUT section:
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 2004
OS build: 19041.329
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack: 120.2202.130.0

From the Update history section:
Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004

And then, just because it wasn't quite late enough, there was an update to .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 x64 (KB4552925)

and an update to Flash Player:
Security Update to Flash Player...(KB4561600)
In the description of this update was this statement:
Adobe Flash Player will go out of support by December 31, 2020. For more information, see Adobe Flash end of support on December 31, 2020.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450
Page 1>>

that update is blocked

That update is blocked on my two PCs, along with the regular Patch Tuesday update (this past Tuesday). I plan to install both updates eventually, after Microsoft works out the bugs.

Thanks for being a Beta Tester!

dobs108 smile

The SSD may have had little to do with the upgrade time...

plunder wrote:

And I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.Phil

The SSD may have had very little to do with the total time of the update, what you mention as 1h 15m. The speed of your internet connection may have played a bigger role.

By the way, since you've done this update, be aware that Windows saves a copy of the previous installation files in case you don't like the May 2020 Update and you want to rollback to the previous version of the OS. Once you are happy with the update, you can remove the "old" installation files and gain back a considerable amount of space. See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-free-... for the details.

I would wait at least a few weeks before blowing away the older installtion.

--
John from PA

The install took time

John from PA wrote:
plunder wrote:

And I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.Phil

The SSD may have had very little to do with the total time of the update, what you mention as 1h 15m. The speed of your internet connection may have played a bigger role.,,

The installation procedure is labeled as "download" and "install." And, yes, the download took time (my download speed is 50 MB), but the install seemed to take forever. For example, in one instance the install was at 94% for about five minutes. When it's 2 a.m. and I want to go to bed, that's a really long time.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

incomplete URL

John from PA wrote:

...By the way, since you've done this update, be aware that Windows saves a copy of the previous installation files in case you don't like the May 2020 Update and you want to rollback to the previous version of the OS. Once you are happy with the update, you can remove the "old" installation files and gain back a considerable amount of space. See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-free-... for the details...

John, the provided url is incomplete. It's chopped after the "free-."

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

might be this ...

plunder wrote:

John, the provided url is incomplete. It's chopped after the "free-."

Phil

try this, might be what he was posting:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-free-...
.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Thank you sir...

Thanks, not sure how that happened since it as a copy >> paste.

--
John from PA

Always hit Enter after

Always hit Enter after pasting a URL. Any further characters entered on the same line cause the URL to be truncated.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Rollback Comment

John from PA wrote:

I would wait at least a few weeks before blowing away the older installtion.

MS site states "Ten days after you upgrade to Windows 10, your previous version of Windows will be automatically deleted from your PC." MS handles the 2004 update the same way according to articles I've read on a couple of sites. So looks like MS will automatically blow away the old version in 10 days.

There's so much out on the Windows 10 2004 update it's hard to keep up with! We've paused updates on our laptops to give MS time to correct things. Think MS has also blocked the update for a lot of systems.

Good luck to plunder for being a Beta Tester! Used to really like being on the bleeding edge now I just want to use the darned thing laugh out loud

Defragger Bug

plunder wrote:

I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.

Recommend you check out this article in Bleeping Computer about a Windows 10 Alert: Defragger bug defrags SSD Drives too often in the Windows 10 version 2004.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-a...

When it rains it pours....or something like that!

Cool- my feature updates

Cool- my feature updates don't install for a min. of 6 months,

thanks, i had forgotten this

FreddyP wrote:
plunder wrote:

I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.

Recommend you check out this article in Bleeping Computer about a Windows 10 Alert: Defragger bug defrags SSD Drives too often in the Windows 10 version 2004.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-a...

When it rains it pours....or something like that!

When running Windows 7 on my two PCs, it was set up to never defrag the SSDs. In January, a Windows 10 clean install was done and I completely forgot about the defrag issue until your post!

Thanks

dobs108 smile

Win 10 updates almost always fail!

On my HP netbook, most Win 10 updates appear to fail. I think it has something to do with the SD card hardware in the netbook (driver incompatible). I wish I could turn off Win 10 auto update since whenever I want to use that netbook and turn on the wifi, Win 10 update starts up and the netbook becomes very slow, making what I want to do sometimes impossible!

Task bar color

I installed this update on the first of my four machines last evening. It was a reasonably modern laptop with an SSD drive. The part of the installation labeled as download and "getting ready" took quite a while, perhaps half an hour. During that time I still had the use of the machine. When I finally gave it permission to do the install there was about a 45 minute interval until I had a login again.

I noticed a number of annoying appearance changes and it took a while for me to figure out how to change the taskbar back to being a black background instead of the ugly chartreuse it had chosen for me.

The answer turned out to be Settings|Personalization|Colors

On that page the top scroll box has the label Choose your color, with the options Light, dark, custom.

The update had selected Light for me, and in that mode the task bar has some funky color and you can't select the option lower on this page to apply your accent color to it. The answer is to use this scroll box to select dark or custom.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

First problem w/ 2004

archae86 wrote:

...I noticed a number of annoying appearance changes and it took a while for me to figure out how to change the taskbar back to being a black background instead of the ugly chartreuse it had chosen for me...

Okay, so maybe I was a bit pollyannaish to install 2004. I ran into my first problem this morning when I tried to go onto Facebook and it wouldn't come up because JavaScript wasn't enabled. I went into settings in Chrome and explicitly set JS to allow Facebook. So at this moment JavaScript is enabled and Facebook is explicitly enabled. Facebook now comes up. That's the good news. Yeah, FB comes up but the entries don't display correctly. For example, none of the posted pictures display at all.
I have no idea what else is broken or how to fix things, so I'd certainly appreciate some help.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

make sure it is really chrome

plunder,

This is just a guess on my part, but this update could have installed the "new" Edge browser which is actually Google Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome. Chromium looks exactly like Chrome.

New Edge could have become the default browser. If the browser is really new Edge, that might account for Facebook not working correctly because we know Chrome runs Facebook without difficulty.

Good point on Edge

dobs108 wrote:

plunder,

This is just a guess on my part, but this update could have installed the "new" Edge browser which is actually Google Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome. Chromium looks exactly like Chrome.

New Edge could have become the default browser. If the browser is really new Edge, that might account for Facebook not working correctly because we know Chrome runs Facebook without difficulty.

Edge has its pros & cons for sure. To fully understand the choices and what may be going on “under the hood” see https://www.howtogeek.com/659857/what-you-need-to-know-about....

--
John from PA

It's Chrome

dobs108 wrote:

plunder,

This is just a guess on my part, but this update could have installed the "new" Edge browser which is actually Google Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome. Chromium looks exactly like Chrome.

New Edge could have become the default browser. If the browser is really new Edge, that might account for Facebook not working correctly because we know Chrome runs Facebook without difficulty.

No, it's Chrome alright, though your suggestion that Chrome might really be Edge was well taken, so I brought up Edge and tried Facebook. I was surprised that when Facebook came up, it didn't know me. It asked me to create a brand new FB account which I declined to do.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

thanks

dobs108 wrote:
FreddyP wrote:
plunder wrote:

I have an SSD, which means that baby did some serious installing.

Recommend you check out this article in Bleeping Computer about a Windows 10 Alert: Defragger bug defrags SSD Drives too often in the Windows 10 version 2004.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-a...

When it rains it pours....or something like that!

When running Windows 7 on my two PCs, it was set up to never defrag the SSDs. In January, a Windows 10 clean install was done and I completely forgot about the defrag issue until your post!

Thanks

dobs108 smile

Mine was set to never because of my SSD. Did not know it got turned on and as I recall when I installed it, you should never defrag a SSD as it will wear it out prematurely. Thanks

create an account OR sign in

plunder wrote:
dobs108 wrote:

plunder,

This is just a guess on my part, but this update could have installed the "new" Edge browser which is actually Google Chromium, the open-source version of Chrome. Chromium looks exactly like Chrome.

New Edge could have become the default browser. If the browser is really new Edge, that might account for Facebook not working correctly because we know Chrome runs Facebook without difficulty.

No, it's Chrome alright, though your suggestion that Chrome might really be Edge was well taken, so I brought up Edge and tried Facebook. I was surprised that when Facebook came up, it didn't know me. It asked me to create a brand new FB account which I declined to do.

Phil

Since browsers keep their own cookies the next browser won't have the credentials that the previous browser did. I presume that the request you saw was to create an account OR sign in.

new version

I will have to check my laptop to see if it updated Windows 10.

Up to Date, but...

When I checked Windows Update on my desktop, the message was: "You're up to date" - followed by:

Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004: The next version of Windows is available with new features and security improvements. When you're ready for the update, select "Download and install."

I am not yet ready.

--
Garmin nüvi 3597LMTHD, 3760 LMT, & 255LMT, - "Those who wish for fairness without first protecting freedom will end up with neither freedom nor fairness." - Milton Friedman

Lots of bugs

Printer Problems

Read about this printer problem this morning.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-printer-mystery-mor...

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

We (the users) keep wanting

We (the users) keep wanting MS to support old devices and every device for years & years. MS keeps adding patches/fixes to the code until it is mumble jumble. One day it will all fall apart.

Oh wait. W10 was supposed to begine to solve this. What MS will do someday is stop fixing code for devices 10 years old. Then we will all scream.

It's a zoo out there.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I would roll it back, Phil

plunder wrote:

Okay, so maybe I was a bit pollyannaish to install 2004. I ran into my first problem this morning when I tried to go onto Facebook and it wouldn't come up because JavaScript wasn't enabled. I went into settings in Chrome and explicitly set JS to allow Facebook. So at this moment JavaScript is enabled and Facebook is explicitly enabled. Facebook now comes up. That's the good news. Yeah, FB comes up but the entries don't display correctly. For example, none of the posted pictures display at all.
I have no idea what else is broken or how to fix things, so I'd certainly appreciate some help.

Phil

Oooh (wince) Phil I would seriously consider rolling this back right now. As discussed in our recent earlier thread about this version ( http://www.poi-factory.com/node/50652 ), bugs are common with these "feature" upgrades. There should be no rush to install them. You can roll it back for another week and then block it from reinstalling for I would say at least six months. You can websearch to see how to do that. You've already had one issue and may have others that you don't find until you can't roll back. These aren't security ("quality") upgrades you need to run Win10 safely. Give Microsoft time to discover and zap the bugs. It never pays to be first-on-the-block with things like this.

--
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143..."

Step by step instructions on roll back

Lost Anyway wrote:
plunder wrote:

Okay, so maybe I was a bit pollyannaish to install 2004. I ran into my first problem this morning when I tried to go onto Facebook and it wouldn't come up because JavaScript wasn't enabled. I went into settings in Chrome and explicitly set JS to allow Facebook. So at this moment JavaScript is enabled and Facebook is explicitly enabled. Facebook now comes up. That's the good news. Yeah, FB comes up but the entries don't display correctly. For example, none of the posted pictures display at all.
I have no idea what else is broken or how to fix things, so I'd certainly appreciate some help.

Phil

Oooh (wince) Phil I would seriously consider rolling this back right now. As discussed in our recent earlier thread about this version ( http://www.poi-factory.com/node/50652 ), bugs are common with these "feature" upgrades. There should be no rush to install them. You can roll it back for another week and then block it from reinstalling for I would say at least six months. You can websearch to see how to do that. You've already had one issue and may have others that you don't find until you can't roll back. These aren't security ("quality") upgrades you need to run Win10 safely. Give Microsoft time to discover and zap the bugs. It never pays to be first-on-the-block with things like this.

Step by step instructions for a roll back can be found at https://pureinfotech.com/uninstall-windows-10-2004-2020-upda.... Personally, as long as you can find some workarounds for any issues, I would wait it out until Microsoft releases remedies, which usually come quick. What few roll backs I've done have created just as many problems as the update, so I've learned to live with the issues, which are relatively few, most often none at all.

--
John from PA

Update

Installed the Window 10 version 2004 update and later installed the Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8. Everything appears to work well including my HP wireless printer.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Facebook doesn't work

charlesd45 wrote:

Installed the Window 10 version 2004 update and later installed the Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8. Everything appears to work well including my HP wireless printer.

Good for you. I haven't been able to use FB since the change. The individual posts are all blank.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

FB ok

plunder wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Installed the Window 10 version 2004 update and later installed the Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8. Everything appears to work well including my HP wireless printer.

Good for you. I haven't been able to use FB since the change. The individual posts are all blank.

Phil

FB has been working without any problems so far.

--
Charlie. Nuvi 265 WT and Nuvi 2597 LMT. Android Here WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS.

Try a different browser

plunder wrote:
charlesd45 wrote:

Installed the Window 10 version 2004 update and later installed the Net Framework 3.5 and 4.8. Everything appears to work well including my HP wireless printer.

Good for you. I haven't been able to use FB since the change. The individual posts are all blank.

Phil

Windows 10 a few versions back had some issues with the Edge browser and Facebook, but something like Chrome worked fine. Give a different browser a test.

--
John from PA

New Win 10 ?

I haven't gottent any notice or D/L on any of my current Win 10 computers.

I wonder if I can force an update?

FB works with Edge

John from PA wrote:

[...Windows 10 a few versions back had some issues with the Edge browser and Facebook, but something like Chrome worked fine. Give a different browser a test.

John, I tried FB under Edge and it worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

not force, but nudge

pratzert wrote:

I wonder if I can force an update?

If you click start and type updates, and go to the resulting check for updates page, often it will cheerfully say you are up-to-date and last checked sometime very recently (say the last day or so). If you will-nilly click on the button to check for updates right now, I've noticed it will fairly often discover that after all it has something available.

I'd call that a nudge, not forcing, but possibly it might work for you in this, or some future, case.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

No Rush

I'm in no rush to test the bleeding edge of technology. I'm holding off for now.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2021.20 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Just did update

So I check for updates. Said I was up to date but optional update 2004 was available. Click to update. Continued using the computer. It took exactly an hour before the notice came up to restart. Restart took 5 minutes. Sign in took a longer the normal. About 3 or 4 minutes. Then it was slow. Based on the messages popping up. The usb drivers were updating. When that was done. Everything seem back to normal. Chrome browser works. Facebook works. Everything seems fine

not offered to avoid a problem

pratzert wrote:

I haven't gottent any notice or D/L on any of my current Win 10 computers.

I wonder if I can force an update?

If the update is not displayed on the update page, the most likely reason is that Windows Update has examined your computers and found that your specific configuration of hardware and software has an issue with a feature of the update which would cause a problem.

If that is the case, be thankful that Windows Update worked in your favor. This doesn't mean that the update will never be installed. After Microsoft solves problems they have discovered, it will be offered to you in the future.

dobs108 smile

Yikes! Why would you want

Yikes!

Why would you want to force an update that has known problems?

Just to see what havoc it causes on your computer?

I'm walking away shaking my head.....

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

There are always issues...

KenSny wrote:

Yikes!

Why would you want to force an update that has known problems?

Just to see what havoc it causes on your computer?

I'm walking away shaking my head.....

With that dialog as a policy, are you running something ancient? Virtually every Windows release has had issues, most of which Microsoft fixes within a few weeks.

--
John from PA

The key here was "Force an

The key here was "Force an update" not "stop an update", not "let an update happen".

I know that you fancy yourself the resident W10 guru, but...

I don't think your comment about "something ancient" is applicable here, nor is the fact that every release has issues. We all know that.

HOWEVER, this particular release is worse than most, hence WHY FORCE THE UPDATE?

This is not worth discussing.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Well the 2004 update was

Well the 2004 update was offered next to some normal updates so I went ahead with it. Took about 20 minutes to download AND install. So far everything is working as expected on the laptop.

Windows 10 Home

BEFORE:
Version 1909
Installed on 9/9/2019
OS Build 18363.900

AFTER:
Version 2004
Installed on 6/18/2020
OS Build 19041.329
Windows Feature Experience Pack 10.2202.130.0

I did have to reset my 'desktop' background photo and authorized my 'Netgear' genie.

Now to see if it's offered to the PC tower, which is a newer machine.

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Yeah, and...

archae86 wrote:
pratzert wrote:

I wonder if I can force an update?

If you click start and type updates, and go to the resulting check for updates page, often it will cheerfully say you are up-to-date and last checked sometime very recently (say the last day or so). If you will-nilly click on the button to check for updates right now, I've noticed it will fairly often discover that after all it has something available.

I'd call that a nudge, not forcing, but possibly it might work for you in this, or some future, case.

And I've found that if I check for updates and there are some they immediately begin getting installed without asking me first.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Iam still waiting for

Iam still waiting for Microsoft gives me the green light

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Thanks Plunder!

dobs108 wrote:

That update is blocked on my two PCs, along with the regular Patch Tuesday update (this past Tuesday). I plan to install both updates eventually, after Microsoft works out the bugs.

Thanks for being a Beta Tester!

dobs108 smile

LOL yes thanks Phil for your service (beta testing for the more cautious or sensible depending on your POV)! Chances are it will work for you, but these "Feature" (major) updates are buggy when they first appear and are generally best deferred for several months. I realize you probably didn't *ask* for this update but you have to make a little effort to block them.

You defer these at Start > PC Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Choose when updates are installed. Then set feature update at least 180 days out if it will let you. Again these are not security updates and for most people add little to nothing that's useful but do have real potential to cause trouble when new. The best advice is to let others find the problems and adapt them later when they're more likely to be patched and stable. If you block them this way they will download/install automatically six months later.

--
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143..."

revised unready message

I have four PCs. The laptop got 2004 quite a while ago. Some of the others have had the Windows Update page saying something I understood to mean "your PC is not yet ready for this update".

But today I noticed that the language was phrased more like "this update is not yet ready for your particular PC".

The exact language on the machine I'm typing on today is:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

I'm not sure whether the language actually changed, or just my reading of it.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

Usually this is a hardware driver issue

archae86 wrote:

I have four PCs. The laptop got 2004 quite a while ago. Some of the others have had the Windows Update page saying something I understood to mean "your PC is not yet ready for this update".

But today I noticed that the language was phrased more like "this update is not yet ready for your particular PC".

The exact language on the machine I'm typing on today is:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

I'm not sure whether the language actually changed, or just my reading of it.

Usually, archae86, that message appears when one or more pieces of hardware in your PC has a driver that is not yet compatible with the Windows update. They're doing you a favor by blocking the update until that's fixed; not everyone is so fortunate. More detail:
https://www.askvg.com/fix-your-device-isnt-quite-ready-for-f...

So no worries. Just wait it out. You may be able to skip ahead to a future month later when they've ironed it out.

--
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143..."

Windows update message.

archae86 wrote:

I have four PCs. The laptop got 2004 quite a while ago. Some of the others have had the Windows Update page saying something I understood to mean "your PC is not yet ready for this update".

But today I noticed that the language was phrased more like "this update is not yet ready for your particular PC".

The exact language on the machine I'm typing on today is:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. Once it’s ready for your device, you’ll see the update available on this page."

I'm not sure whether the language actually changed, or just my reading of it.

Your suspicion is correct. The language changed. I noticed it too. Maybe the original message made it sound more like you needed to fix something on your computer, while this one is saying "just wait until we fix the update". Who knows?

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

My advice may not work once version 2004 is installed

Lost Anyway wrote:

You defer [Win 10 Feature Updates] at Start > PC Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options > Choose when updates are installed. Then set feature update at least 180 days out if it will let you. Again these are not security updates and for most people add little to nothing that's useful but do have real potential to cause trouble when new. The best advice is to let others find the problems and adapt them later when they're more likely to be patched and stable. If you block them this way they will download/install automatically six months later.

Now I read that my advice may no longer work once your PC has updated to Win 10 version 2004. Apparently Microsoft has once again removed the option to defer updates from the location I suggested above in version 2004. Can anyone who has updated to 2004 confirm that? People with Win 10 Pro have other ways to block the updates for a time, but people with the free Win 10 Home probably do not. If so, that right there is a good reason not to update to 2004 any sooner than you have to.

--
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143..."

windows 10 pro will not be able to defer

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3564597/microsoft-stri...

Windows 10 Pro will not be able to defer feature upgrades after the 2004 update. However, I haven't allowed the 2004 update yet. The delay is set to 365 days, but the article says Microsoft will at a certain point push the 2004 update anyway.

dobs108 smile

You may still be able to defer

dobs108 wrote:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3564597/microsoft-stri...

Windows 10 Pro will not be able to defer feature upgrades after the 2004 update. However, I haven't allowed the 2004 update yet. The delay is set to 365 days, but the article says Microsoft will at a certain point push the 2004 update anyway.

dobs108 smile

See the article at https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/this-registr.... Note that some of the article involves a registry hack..Use some caution if you never modified the registry.

--
John from PA

35 days

Lost Anyway wrote:

Now I read that my advice may no longer work once your PC has updated to Win 10 version 2004. Apparently Microsoft has once again removed the option to defer updates from the location I suggested above in version 2004. Can anyone who has updated to 2004 confirm that? People with Win 10 Pro have other ways to block the updates for a time, but people with the free Win 10 Home probably do not. If so, that right there is a good reason not to update to 2004 any sooner than you have to.

I have 2004 installed and if you click on "Advanced options" you'll see that you can defer installation for up to 35 days. The option has a list of ALL of the dates from "today" through 35 days from now.

Phil

EDIT:
To test it, I chose the 35th day from today (Aug. 2) then went back to the Windows Update screen. There was a reminder now displayed that said "Your device won't be up to date while updates are paused. Updates will resume on 8/2/2020."

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450
Page 1>>