Windows 10 2004 Update Seems To Have Many Bugs

 

The update is sitting there ready to be downloaded on my PCs, but I'm not doing it after reading this:

arrow https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-2004-were-already-l...

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Thanks

Thanks for this. I will not be downloading it.

dobs108 smile

It hung my system@81% and

It hung my system@81% and luckily it has a great return to previous versions, so I will wait till all the bugs and drivers get updated

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Windows Insider Program

Guess you guys signed up for the windows Insider Program ..... ver 2004 has not reached me yet ..... sure you want to stay as "the first to try a new version"?

Type Insider Program in you windows search box to see what you're signed up for .......

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem quickly resembles a nail. (Maslow's Hammer)

Puff there goes my desktop

Lost my desktop after the update. Windows 10 would load a new bare-bones desktop. Via YouTube I was able to get it back. No Bueno Bill Gates

.

pb46 wrote:

Guess you guys signed up for the windows Insider Program ..... ver 2004 has not reached me yet ..... sure you want to stay as "the first to try a new version"?

It has not reached my Win 10 either.

pb46 wrote:

Type Insider Program in you windows search box to see what you're signed up for .......

Search box gives me "see web results".

.

chewbacca wrote:
pb46 wrote:

Guess you guys signed up for the windows Insider Program ..... ver 2004 has not reached me yet ..... sure you want to stay as "the first to try a new version"?

It has not reached my Win 10 either.

pb46 wrote:

Type Insider Program in you windows search box to see what you're signed up for .......

Search box gives me "see web results".

Select ALL on the top of the window that opens .... you will see 3/4 options.
You seem to have Web selected.

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem quickly resembles a nail. (Maslow's Hammer)

No problems...

Based on a YouTube video I downloaded the install media from Microsoft last night. There is an option to upgrade to 2004.

I ran it on 3 Lenovo Thinpads (T430, W530, W541) with no apparent problems. It took 36 to 58 minutes depending on cores and RAM on individual machines.

It is desirable that one update all other drivers, bios, delayed updates before you begin.

Have a great success!

--
Ted - Garmin Nuvi 1450 LM

Insider Program Not Signed Up

pb46 wrote:

Guess you guys signed up for the windows Insider Program ..... ver 2004 has not reached me yet ..... sure you want to stay as "the first to try a new version"?

Type Insider Program in you windows search box to see what you're signed up for .......

I am not signed up. When I check the Insider options, it says, "Diagnostic data must be set to Full to get preview builds."

Yet, on the Windows Update page, I see this: https://i.imgur.com/FgSBwEv.jpg

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Windows 10 2004

This update is shown on my recently purchased laptop, but not on my older (upgraded from Win7 to Win10) desktop system. After reading through several tech forums, I found comments like this:

"You would not have been offered it through Windows Update if any of those particular issues affected your machine.

They are not issues that have been 'found' since the launch, they were already known about and the list was issued at the same time as the launch.

There is a 'Comaptability Hold' so that machines affected by those particular issues will not be offered the upgrade through Windows Update."

That probably explains why it is not being offered on my desktop. Still, I think I'm going to hold off updating the laptop for a little while, just to be extra cautious.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Insider Program, not necessarily

pb46 wrote:

Guess you guys signed up for the windows Insider Program ..... ver 2004 has not reached me yet ..... sure you want to stay as "the first to try a new version"?

Type Insider Program in you windows search box to see what you're signed up for .......

On the Insider Program; just because you got the download doesn’t necessarily mean you are part of the program. Microsoft has begun the roll out to users earlier this week (05/27). But it is initially not rolled out to everyone, just a small portion of the possible recipients. That is so Microsoft gets a feel for issues that may develop, like some of what is mentioned here. There is also a possibly if you go to force the download, you may not be able to install it because of a hardware issue or some bug that would affect your PC.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information... for the details of the rollout and problems/resolutions.

--
John from PA

.

pb46 wrote:

Select ALL on the top of the window that opens .... you will see 3/4 options.
You seem to have Web selected.

I am searching ALL. See web results is what I got and it takes me to Edge browser when clicked.

You need to image the drive or make a clone of it.

MMtoTSS wrote:

Lost my desktop after the update. Windows 10 would load a new bare-bones desktop. Via YouTube I was able to get it back. No Bueno Bill Gates

I lost the boot tracks on my SSD due to a power outage. I had a 1 day old image and I was up and running in about 2 1/2 hours.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

They still sell Uninterruptible Power Supplies

pwohlrab wrote:
MMtoTSS wrote:

Lost my desktop after the update. Windows 10 would load a new bare-bones desktop. Via YouTube I was able to get it back. No Bueno Bill Gates

I lost the boot tracks on my SSD due to a power outage. I had a 1 day old image and I was up and running in about 2 1/2 hours.

They still sell Uninterruptible Power Supplies and these days with SSD's they are just as important as the old days. Not super critical with a laptop, assuming you have a decent battery, but essential with a desktop using an SSD.

See https://www.kingston.com/us/solutions/servers-data-centers/s... for some discussion by Kingston.

Summer and thunderstorms are here!

--
John from PA

thanks for the kingston link

John from PA, thanks for the info from Kingston about SSDs and power failures.

So even though SSD is better it’s actually worse because of

power loss. That stinks because I have never ever lost a hard drive from a power failure or a drive failure. I guess I have to look into a decent UPS.

John from PA wrote:
pwohlrab wrote:
MMtoTSS wrote:

Lost my desktop after the update. Windows 10 would load a new bare-bones desktop. Via YouTube I was able to get it back. No Bueno Bill Gates

I lost the boot tracks on my SSD due to a power outage. I had a 1 day old image and I was up and running in about 2 1/2 hours.

They still sell Uninterruptible Power Supplies and these days with SSD's they are just as important as the old days. Not super critical with a laptop, assuming you have a decent battery, but essential with a desktop using an SSD.

See https://www.kingston.com/us/solutions/servers-data-centers/s... for some discussion by Kingston.

Summer and thunderstorms are here!

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

Message on mine

This is the message on my Windows Update page in settings:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

Guess they are still working on something to do with my computer.

--
Mary, Nuvi 2450, Garmin Viago, Honda Navigation, Nuvi 750 (gave to son)

It may not be Microsoft

mgarledge wrote:

This is the message on my Windows Update page in settings:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

Guess they are still working on something to do with my computer.

It may not be Microsoft, it might be something else on your PC that isn't compatible with the planned update. As "thurst461" above stated

Quote:

It is desirable that one update all other drivers, bios, delayed updates before you begin.

--
John from PA

Microsoft is big on the

Microsoft is big on the unaware Beta tester program.

Hence a small number of users get the in date long before others so MS knows what bugs they missed again.

when available - do not download it

mgarledge wrote:

This is the message on my Windows Update page in settings:

"The Windows 10 May 2020 Update is on its way. We’re offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn’t quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you’ll see the update available on this page. There’s nothing you need to do at this time."

Guess they are still working on something to do with my computer.

The Windows 10 May 2020 Update has so many bugs for different computers or different software that even when it becomes available, we should not download it. Do it sometime in the future after we hear they have fixed the bugs.

dobs108 smile

Well, that might explain my difficulty this weekend

Spent several hours trying to update this weekend. Extremely frustrating.

New Updates

We generally wait and run what works. The latest and greatest isn't always the greatest. Thanks for the head ups!!!

I'm Waiting

As the old saying goes... I never want to be on the bleeding edge of technology.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Hold off

No, no, no, put new major version "Feature Updates" off for a while, at least on any computer you need to be stable. They're usually problematic to one degree or another when they first come out. I skipped 1903 altogether and only went from 1809 to 1909 this past month. I'll skip 2004 and wait until 2009 or whatever has been out for a while before I do another Feature Update. They don't usually add any features I really want or need anyway.

--
"141 could draw faster than he, but Irving was looking for 143..."

Thank you

I'll wait a few months until they inject the insecticide in it.

--
"There's no substitute for local knowledge" nüvi 750, nüvi 3597

Windows 10 2004 storage space cleanup

If you do this update, WIndows saves a copy of the previous installation files in case you don't like May 2020 Update and you want to rollback to the previous version of the OS. Once you are happy with the update, you can remove the "old" installation files and gain back a considerable amount of space. See https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-free-... for the details.

--
John from PA

Older Desktop

It's still not being offered on my older desktop hardware. Wonder how long it will take MS to fix the incompatibilities?

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

I wait a minimum of 6 mos

I wait a minimum of 6 mos for any feature update, meaning I am generally behind at least 1 update. Once I waited until I got a notice stating that the level I was on will no longer be supported. Security updates I only wait 8 days. Seems to work for me as I have never had any issues.

Older desktop

Gary A wrote:

It's still not being offered on my older desktop hardware. Wonder how long it will take MS to fix the incompatibilities?

Maybe you will have to fix them. Microsoft for instance won't offer up a fix/driver for an Intel chip. Go in and verify that the various drivers are up to date.

--
John from PA

how to update intel chipset driver

John from PA wrote:

...Maybe you will have to fix them. Microsoft for instance won't offer up a fix/driver for an Intel chip. Go in and verify that the various drivers are up to date.

I thought that Windows 10 would install a chipset driver while doing a clean install of Windows. If that is not the case how do I install an Intel chipset driver? I understand to do a complete backup first along with bootable media ready.

dobs108 smile

.

dobs108 wrote:
John from PA wrote:

...Maybe you will have to fix them. Microsoft for instance won't offer up a fix/driver for an Intel chip. Go in and verify that the various drivers are up to date.

I thought that Windows 10 would install a chipset driver while doing a clean install of Windows. If that is not the case how do I install an Intel chipset driver? I understand to do a complete backup first along with bootable media ready.

dobs108 smile

That depends on the PC. Yes chipset driver is automatically installed already but you can change it. I'd normally download the driver from PC manufacturer (if they provide one). Second choice is to download chipset driver directly from Intel.

How to update Intel

dobs108 wrote:
John from PA wrote:

...Maybe you will have to fix them. Microsoft for instance won't offer up a fix/driver for an Intel chip. Go in and verify that the various drivers are up to date.

I thought that Windows 10 would install a chipset driver while doing a clean install of Windows. If that is not the case how do I install an Intel chipset driver? I understand to do a complete backup first along with bootable media ready.

dobs108 smile

I was just using Intel as an example based on my experience. It just so happens that Intel had released a compatible driver for Win 10 2004. In my instance the Win 10 2004 would not install and I got the message my Dell laptop wasn’t ready. I did the Intel update, an NVidia graphics driver update and checked the Dell site for updates (there were none). 10 minutes later Win 10 2004 installed without any issues.

If you have incompatible hardware Microsoft only lets you know through the message “not yet ready.” MS just can’t provide details for every piece of hardware in existence.

Some potential issues, again just an example and there may be others, see https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-2....

--
John from PA

Intel

I ran the Intel Driver & Support Assistant on my desktop (Lenovo ThinkCenter M83) and it found no Intel drivers. The Graphics driver is a modified one by Lenovo, so it is up to Lenovo to update the driver and so far they haven't.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Updates for the M83

Gary A wrote:

I ran the Intel Driver & Support Assistant on my desktop (Lenovo ThinkCenter M83) and it found no Intel drivers. The Graphics driver is a modified one by Lenovo, so it is up to Lenovo to update the driver and so far they haven't.

Go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all... and input your serial number (top left corner) to see what may be available.

--
John from PA

That's Where I went

John from PA wrote:
Gary A wrote:

I ran the Intel Driver & Support Assistant on my desktop (Lenovo ThinkCenter M83) and it found no Intel drivers. The Graphics driver is a modified one by Lenovo, so it is up to Lenovo to update the driver and so far they haven't.

Go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all... and input your serial number (top left corner) to see what may be available.

I had gone there, too. No new drivers. sad

Also went here: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT510448 and the M83 is not listed. I've created a topic on the Lenovo support forum asking if anyone knows about any plans for Lenovo to support this model: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkCentre-A-E-M-S-Series/Inst...

I got one reply (from a person who just signed up today and has made 1 post) that says I'll be fine to update. rolleyes Think I'll wait a bit longer.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

well

Lenovo Vantage updated the drivers on my Thinkpad T420 yesterday.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Is your .Net Framework 4.0 or later?

Is your .Net Framework 4.0 or later? See https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all.... Scroll down to red text on how to check.

--
John from PA

NET Framework version

NET Framework version 4.8.4121.0 (32/64-bit)

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I actually was asking Gary A.

I was actually referring to Gary A. Who is having issues doing the update.

--
John from PA

OK, I'll stay out of your

OK, I'll stay out of your conversation.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

Yup

John from PA wrote:

Is your .Net Framework 4.0 or later? See https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all.... Scroll down to red text on how to check.

I always use Lenovo System Update. Version 5.07.0096 is installed and when I run it, it says no updates available.

The .NET Frame work version installed is 4.0.30319 (System Update requires it in order to run)

Running Windows Update does not show any later version of .NET Framework 4 available for installation.

I received a 2nd response to my topic on the Lenovo forum which wasn't much help. A user sucessfully upgraded his M710q.

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

.NET 4.0 dates from 20110

Surprising that you can’t update 4.0.30319 as 4.0 dates from 2010. You might try the version right after 4.0 on the Microsoft site. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

If it isn’t compatible it shouldn’t install.

--
John from PA

install .nET framework 4.8

Install .net Framework 4.8 which is recommended by Microsoft. They say it fulfills the requirements of all .net Framework from 4.0 through 4.8. This is a manual download, not from Windows Update.

My experience, mostly with Windows 7, but also with Windows 10, is that .net Framework is entirely separate from Windows Update. That is why Lenovo offers the download on their support site.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on...

Oops! My Bad!

dobs108 wrote:

Install .net Framework 4.8 which is recommended by Microsoft. They say it fulfills the requirements of all .net Framework from 4.0 through 4.8. This is a manual download, not from Windows Update.

My experience, mostly with Windows 7, but also with Windows 10, is that .net Framework is entirely separate from Windows Update. That is why Lenovo offers the download on their support site.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-10

I read the Registry entry wrong. redface According to the article below, V4 Update 528040 means that version 4.8 is installed. That registry entry is there, I just missed it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-...

--
Tampa, FL - Garmin nüvi 660 (Software Ver 4.90), 2019.30 CN NA NT maps | Magellan Meridian Gold

Updates on hold

I've had all Windows updates on hold since the last one I installed killed the sound and the network connection on my laptop. I keep telling the updates to wait.

--
GPSMAP 76CSx - nüvi 760 - nüvi 200 - GPSMAP 78S

well

I long for the old W7 days when I could decide which update I wanted and which one I could delay and which one I did not want at all. Now it's all or nothing. Just don't signup for developer or early updates. Why do MS's job for them and expend your time and resources when things go wrong. And they will, eventually.

Now I delay updates on my critical machine for 2 weeks. The others I just let update and see what happens. If it goes bad, then I restore the system.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.