Latest Win 10 updates available

 

Microsoft on Tuesday released the April 2020 updates. Details:

Update: KB4549951
OS Builds 18362.778 and 18363.778

Installed with no apparent issues.

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Web sites

After the update I seem to be having problems getting to certain pages on websites that I normally could access. I can get to a homepage, but when I try to access a page link on the same site it gives me a "can't reach page" or a screen that flashes the content but then goes blank. Weird!! It appears that it is the Edge browser that is blocking them for some reason as I can access them with Chrome and my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks sad

--
ChefDon

Examples?

ChefDon16 wrote:

It appears that it is the Edge browser that is blocking them for some reason as I can access them with Chrome and my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks sad

Could you provide some examples please?

--
Nüvi 2595LMT

security settings?

ChefDon16 wrote:

After the update I seem to be having problems getting to certain pages on websites that I normally could access. I can get to a homepage, but when I try to access a page link on the same site it gives me a "can't reach page" or a screen that flashes the content but then goes blank. Weird!! It appears that it is the Edge browser that is blocking them for some reason as I can access them with Chrome and my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks sad

Maybe the update included changing some of Edge's security settings, you'll have to tinker around your settings to see what may have changed.

.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Problem with Edge

WAASup wrote:
ChefDon16 wrote:

It appears that it is the Edge browser that is blocking them for some reason as I can access them with Chrome and my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks sad

Could you provide some examples please?

For example, I can no longer access the page magicflix.com--I just get a black screen with no error message, but the correct address is in the bar above. If I go on the site mainelobsternow.com, I can access the link for fish, but when I try to select one of the fishes I get an error message:
"Hmmm...can’t reach this page
Try this
Make sure you’ve got the right web address: https://www.mainelobsternow.com
Search for "https://www.mainelobsternow.com" on Bing
Refresh the page"

I have refreshed the pages, and checked my security settings and everything appears to be the same. It all works OK when I use Chrome or iPhone. It only is happening on some sites, not all. I even tried shutting of Windows Smart screen and allowed pop-ups and flash, to no avail. Confusing!

--
ChefDon

AskWoody is not impressed

Woody Leonhard of AskWoody is not impressed with this update (KB4549951):

https://www.askwoody.com/

My updates are paused for 35 days.

dobs108 smile

.

ChefDon16 wrote:
WAASup wrote:
ChefDon16 wrote:

It appears that it is the Edge browser that is blocking them for some reason as I can access them with Chrome and my iPhone. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks sad

Could you provide some examples please?

For example, I can no longer access the page magicflix.com--I just get a black screen with no error message, but the correct address is in the bar above. If I go on the site mainelobsternow.com, I can access the link for fish, but when I try to select one of the fishes I get an error message:
"Hmmm...can’t reach this page
Try this
Make sure you’ve got the right web address: https://www.mainelobsternow.com
Search for "https://www.mainelobsternow.com" on Bing
Refresh the page"

I have refreshed the pages, and checked my security settings and everything appears to be the same. It all works OK when I use Chrome or iPhone. It only is happening on some sites, not all. I even tried shutting of Windows Smart screen and allowed pop-ups and flash, to no avail. Confusing!

try clearing Edge cache (Ctrl Shift Del)
Close Edge and relaunch it.

Same here I decided to

Same here I decided to uninstall the updates, problem solved.

--
NickJr Nuvi 3597LMT

Aww...

dobs108 wrote:

...My updates are paused for 35 days.dobs108 smile

Aww heck, where's the fun in that?

Phil

--
Phil in Mentor, Ohio -- Garmin Nuvi 1450

Installed with no issues ..

Just lucky I guess ...

Windows Security Crash

It's my understanding that a recent definition update or the Windows update is causing the Windows Security (aka Defender) program to crash in the middle of a scan when performing a FULL antivirus scan. Does happen when doing just a Quick Scan.

Microsoft released a new Antivirus/Antispyware definition whose version is 1.313.1687.0 that fixes the issue.

Users can manually update the Windows Security definitions by going to Settings> Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection and then clicking on the 'Check for updates' link.

I normally only run a Quick Scan so did not see this issue. Hope this helps for anyone who is experiencing the problem!

Thanks Chewbacca

Chewbacca wrote:

"try clearing Edge cache (Ctrl Shift Del)
Close Edge and relaunch it."

My results: That worked!!!!

I checked all the sites I was having a problem with and they all show up with no errors.

That solved the problem....Thanks

Happy again smile

--
ChefDon

.

ChefDon16 wrote:

Chewbacca wrote:

"try clearing Edge cache (Ctrl Shift Del)
Close Edge and relaunch it."

My results: That worked!!!!

I checked all the sites I was having a problem with and they all show up with no errors.

That solved the problem....Thanks

Happy again smile

Good to know it works now and you're welcome.

.

Windows 10 updates have had too many problems last few go-rounds. I am social distancing my PC from Win10 updates. Don't need that kind of stimulus.

agreed 100%

Yep, recently it's nightmare. Thinking about linux now smile

For Me, MS Office Programs Were The Problem

As the title says, I had problems with the Microsoft Office programs. Excel, Word, and PowerPoint all spun their wheels for a while and then refused to open.

It was late at night, so I figured that I would call MS the next day to try to fix the issues. However, when I booted up the next day, some additional material installed and after that MS Office seems to be working.

- Tom -

--
XXL540, GO LIVE 1535, GO 620

.

Not sure when, but somewhat recently MS added the ability to pause/delay Win 10 OS updates for 5 or 7 days at a time (too old to remember). Discovered you can click that button more than once, and double the delay.

That's been available pretty much from the beginning

perpster wrote:

Not sure when, but somewhat recently MS added the ability to pause/delay Win 10 OS updates for 5 or 7 days at a time (too old to remember). Discovered you can click that button more than once, and double the delay.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT.

thnaks

thnaks

Beware

anh wrote:

Yep, recently it's nightmare. Thinking about linux now smile

Careful, you may never go back.

My monthly updates are

My monthly updates are delayed for 8 days and when it installed, there were no issues. Feature updates on the other hand are delayed for 220 days.

Personally,

I haven't noticed any issues. Other than a few weeks ago, the power button light went out. Yesterday; I noticed that it was back on. Don't know what the issue was, but the PC gremlin apparently fixed it. grin

--
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible. ----George Washington

Re-Upped

pwohlrab wrote:
perpster wrote:

Not sure when, but somewhat recently MS added the ability to pause/delay Win 10 OS updates for 5 or 7 days at a time (too old to remember). Discovered you can click that button more than once, and double the delay.

Thanks for the Windows Update Update! smile