To Flu or not to Flu ...

 

I am just now on the tail end of a nasty bought with the flu. I Ended up needing to go to the local urgent care type place. Not a fan of this place by the insurance wants you to use it instead of the (more expensive) ER. Any some blood work, an EKG, yea I have the flu so the give me some medicine and send me home, saying if it get worse go the the ER.

Now I get a flu shot every year, like clockwork and I will still get the flu every now and then, and boy it sucks all desire to live right out of ya. My wife, on the other hand, never gets the shot and I can't recall if she has ever had a go with it or not, she say never has.

So I'm wondering, how to you folks do with getting, or not getting, the shots and getting, or not getting, the flu?

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .
Page 1>>

I always get vaccinated for the flu

I always get vaccinated for the flu early in the flu season (in September) and - knock on wood - I haven't had the flu in a couple of decades.

A lot has to do with the CDC making the right choice on which strains of flu they decide will be in the vaccine...and a lot has to do with how exposed you are to others that already have come down with the flu - on whether you come down with it, or not.

I have heard that this year the CDC did not make good choices (educated guesses based on what flu strains people have around the world) on which strains to vaccine against.

In my view (and that of those in the medical profession) is to always get the flu shot because even if you do get the flu it will not be as bad compared to not getting the flu shot.

If you do get the flu it is extremely important to stay hydrated and not lay down all the time even though you are fatigued and feel exhausted. The reason why is because you do not want to get pneumonia...regardless of your age or health.

Don't hesitate to get professional help because the flu can be dangerous, and can be a killer. If you don't have a family physician the next best thing is to see one of the doc-in-the-box locations.

Good luck and take care of yourself... ...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

I get it

I get the flu shot every year. This season was my first time getting the "extra strength for Seniors" version.

Old-timer!

CraigW wrote:

I get the flu shot every year. This season was my first time getting the "extra strength for Seniors" version.

Old-timer! grin

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

61

CraigW wrote:

I get the flu shot every year. This season was my first time getting the "extra strength for Seniors" version.

What's the age for that? Guess I got the regular shot, as I do every year.

I also received the first installment of the Pneumococcal Pneumonia shots this past October.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

65 for the extra strength.

65 for the extra strength.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Seniors

soberbyker wrote:

What's the age for that? Guess I got the regular shot, as I do every year.

I also received the first installment of the Pneumococcal Pneumonia shots this past October.

Here's the why and what:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/flu/expert-an...

The good news is that there's no cost to patients at least under Medicare for either the regular or senior strength versions.

PS: don't forget the new 2-shot shingles vaccine as well.

FLU

Never used to get one, now that I live in the middle of nowhere I get one every year, it's free and added insurance for staying well, plus if I do get the Flu it will probably be easier on me.

--
Garmin Nuvi 765T, Garmin Drive 60LM

Do it

I get the flu shot every year.

A communicable disease is basically a lottery. Every year the dice get shaken, and you get it or you don't. Getting the flu shot improves your odds of not getting it and lessens the average severity if you do get it anyway.

Big bonus: it is socially the helpful thing to do, as the more of us who are vaccinated, the slower the bug spreads, so statistically you are helping people who would have gotten the flu not to get it. This is especially important in protecting people for whom the shot is not available or especially not effective (older people like a lot of us...).

--
personal GPS user since 1992

flu shot's

I always get the senior strength shot, and do my best to stay away from any hospitals or schools because their breeding grounds for sickness!

School bus

geo334 wrote:

I always get the senior strength shot, and do my best to stay away from any hospitals or schools because their breeding grounds for sickness!

I drive a school bus, so I guess I'm in the center of Ground Zero!

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

Always Get Flu Shot

Health people not always perfect with their prediction on the type of flu, because the virus can mutate. Better to get regardless.

It's not just to protect you. It helps to keep you from taking the infection to your wife, kids, grandkids and friends.

Also had the pneumonia and shingles vaccines. These only needed once.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Actually, the Pneumonia is a

Actually, the Pneumonia is a two shot process. One before you are 65 and one after. If you didn't one before 65, you still need one after.

And if you have had your spleen removed, you need a pneumonia shot, regardless of your age, and another after 65.

--
Frank DriveSmart55 37.322760, -79.511267

never get "Flu Shot"

I'm not a Doctor or even play one on TV, but common sense says it is not a good move to get the shots, there are better ways. First why not get the shots? Well if you ask most Doctors they will say get them because that is indoctrinated in Med School! Ask a Vet the same question about all the shots you could give your Dog, many will say there is a funny thing never mentioned in Human Practice, "Over Vaccination". First as stated above, present Flu Shots are a Crap Shoot, based on study of likely Viruses' in circulation and mutations around the World. Second there are better, more effective ways to avoid Viruses in general, Avoid Crowds, confined spaces, never touch, face, eyes, mouth, mucus membranes and such before washing hands with hot soapy water or Alcohol. Yes, sneezes or coughs spread the virus, but the worst is hard smooth surfaces, most viruses live for up to 24 hours on hard smooth surface. A porous surface dramatically shortens their life cycle, believe it or not a virus will die in minutes in most cases on your Skin. So touching any entry ways to your body such as eyes or mouth, breathing in the virus are the main risk factors, learn to control your exposure risk. Now if you have kids or a job that requires exposure, yes you probably need to get annual shots. Now Shingles and Pneumonia and the general one or series Vac's such as Mumps and Measles are a different story.

To Flu Or Not To Flu ...

phranc wrote:
geo334 wrote:

I always get the senior strength shot, and do my best to stay away from any hospitals or schools because their breeding grounds for sickness!

I drive a school bus, so I guess I'm in the center of Ground Zero!

My wife drives school bus, too. Essentially it is a yellow Petri dish on wheels!

Never

Never had the Flu.
And I will NEVER get the Flu shot.
People I know get Flu shots every and year and still get the flu.
And yet they continue to put the yearly concoction in their system.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

I guess it depend on your health, age and luck.

Personally I would not get a shot and never have. Most of the time it seems they were wrong on the strains and shot is at best 20% to 30% effective. On the other hand some get it every year and swear by it. This is a huge money maker for the drug companies and stores places that administer the shot. If I already had health issues or respiratory problems my thoughts might be different and my thought might change as I get older. I think it so much depends on your individual situation.

It's two now

GPSgeek wrote:

Also had the pneumonia and shingles vaccines. These only needed once.

That was true for the old somewhat effective shingles vaccine, Zostavax, but the newer more effective vaccine, Shingrix, is a two-shot series spaced appropriately apart. The recommendation is that even for folks who received the 1-dose vaccine, you should now get the 2-dose version. For folks without either, go for the 2-shot series. Here's why:

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/...

For pneumonia, you want both the Prevnar13 and Pneumovax23 depending upon age allergies, etc. and the number of injections varies with the patient's age:

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-long-does-a-pneumonia-...

For the Shingrix vaccine, definitely check with your drug insurance to check for coverage and most likely, shop around for the best price and availability. The GoodRx site can help find your best local price.

At least for Medicare patients, the two pneumonia vaccines should be free.

FLUE SHOTS

I am 70 years old and have never had a flue shot or any other shot they say us old people need. so far only got a mild case of blahs,

high-dose vaccine for 65 and older seniors contains four times

The high-dose vaccine for 65 and older seniors contains four times as much flu virus antigen — the part of the vaccine that stimulates the immune system.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

To immunize or not

We definitely have differing opinions here.

Then too, some folks never wear seat belts and may live to a ripe old age while others find their lives extended with seat belt usage.

That's a lousy analogy.

That's a lousy analogy.

--
I never get lost, but I do explore new territory every now and then.

More important as we get older

For a span of about 20 years I never got the flu shot because I was allergic to the common ingredient thimerosal (a preservative). I can also say I never got the flu, or at least only got very mild cases, if at all. Today, most single-dose vials and pre-filled syringes of flu vaccine do not contain the preservative and this has been the case with most vaccines since 1999.

But as I got older I heeded the advice to get the flu shot ("senior" dose). It is clear when you look at the statistics that the very young and the very old are most at risk. If you are 60+, you probably should also give serious consider consideration to the two available pneumonia shots and the two shot sequence of the new shingles shot called shingrex.

Best advice, talk to your doctor.

--
John from PA

Being afraid of being stuck with a needle doesn't count!

If you do not get the flu vaccine you are actually contributing to the chances that others will get the flu. It's no different when some parents refuse to vaccinate their children from various diseases, which contributes to the chance that a disease will spread, and that 'your' child will get infected from the child that was not vaccinated.

There is only one reason why everyone from 6-months old and older should not get the influenza vaccine - if they have a severe, life-threatening allergy to the vaccine or any ingredient in the vaccine, which is quite rare. Being afraid of being stuck with a needle doesn't count!

In terms of putting the effectiveness of the flu shot into perspective, a baseball analogy might help:

A player who gets three hits out of 10 at bats is generally considered a high batting average success. Meanwhile, CDC stats suggest that flu vaccines prevent about 50 to 60 percent of flu infections. Some years, of course, are a little more hit and miss than that, but even the 2018-19 season’s less than stellar 47 percent rate (up 11 percent from the year before), puts the law of averages on your side.

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

I'm in my 70's have had mild flu a few times

I actually believe getting the Flu Shot every year increases risk because all those shots wear out your resistance and fighting ability. The odds are really against you if you are counting on 30% to 60% success rate. Think about the Human body as a machine, you jog a few miles every day, play tennis, knees and other parts wear out, your Immune system works the same way.
Now children are walking infection carriers, that's why I said if you have kids or work in an environment that has high risk of infection, Medical Field, Retail, get the shot.

My 2 cents

I bet most of the people who choose not to get a flu shot have never had the flu. I also bet those that have had a bad case will do anything not to get the flu again, which about their only choice is to get a shot.
Been there done that!

--
Nuvi 2460LMT

BINGO!

mmullins98 wrote:

I bet most of the people who choose not to get a flu shot have never had the flu. I also bet those that have had a bad case will do anything not to get the flu again, which about their only choice is to get a shot.
Been there done that!

BINGO!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

You could not be more wrong in your beliefs!

windwalker wrote:

I actually believe getting the Flu Shot every year increases risk because all those shots wear out your resistance and fighting ability. The odds are really against you if you are counting on 30% to 60% success rate. Think about the Human body as a machine, you jog a few miles every day, play tennis, knees and other parts wear out, your Immune system works the same way.

You could not be more wrong in your beliefs!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Same here.

phranc wrote:

Actually, the Pneumonia is a two shot process. One before you are 65 and one after. If you didn't one before 65, you still need one after.

And if you have had your spleen removed, you need a pneumonia shot, regardless of your age, and another after 65.

Two shot here in Canada. Just didn't want to confuse conversation.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Might not get the chance to decide

koot wrote:
mmullins98 wrote:

I bet most of the people who choose not to get a flu shot have never had the flu. I also bet those that have had a bad case will do anything not to get the flu again, which about their only choice is to get a shot.
Been there done that!

BINGO!

Children and seniors have died when they got the flu. Those people don't get a second opportunity to make the right decision next year.

--
NUVI2555LMT, NUVI350

Flu high dose, Shingrix second round, pnemonia ...

I had all 3 shots this year at the same time in the same arm. No side effects except a sore arm for a few days. I have had all 3 variations of the shingles vaccines, and each time they said it was a lifetime dose. But I guess they keep coming up with better vaccines. My dad got shingles and I know it is something I want to avoid.

I forget how many years I have been getting the flu shot … more than 25 for sure, including the high dose flu shot for the past 7 years. I had the flu once during that time, in 2016 as I recall, and it was very bad. Even though the flu shot isn't perfect, I will take it to get whatever protection in can offer. Frequent hand washing, and hand sanitizer when you cant wash are also important during flu season. I carry a bottle of sanitizer in my car and use it every time I get back in the car after being out in the public.

--
Alan - Android Auto, DriveLuxe 51LMT-S, DriveLuxe 50LMTHD, Nuvi 3597LMTHD, Oregon 550T, Nuvi 855, Nuvi 755T, Lowrance Endura Sierra, Bosch Nyon

Again, I have said Children should get shots

They are kept in a high risk environment, classrooms full of sick kids and such and would also not adhere to contamination avoidance techniques. Now the seniors have to decide on their own again some, possibly many have been getting the flu shots every year so its too late to change. Their immune system has already degraded from the constant antigen exposure. As we age yes our systems degrade but constant antigen shots probably increase that breakdown. As I said, I'm in my 70's and seldom get sick, maybe every 3 or 6 years and then only a slight cold.

about as wrong as wrong can possibly get!

windwalker wrote:

They are kept in a high risk environment, classrooms full of sick kids and such and would also not adhere to contamination avoidance techniques. Now the seniors have to decide on their own again some, possibly many have been getting the flu shots every year so its too late to change. Their immune system has already degraded from the constant antigen exposure. As we age yes our systems degrade but constant antigen shots probably increase that breakdown. As I said, I'm in my 70's and seldom get sick, maybe every 3 or 6 years and then only a slight cold.

I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is about as wrong as wrong can possibly get!

Vaccines do NOT weaken the immune system. Vaccines introduce a killed/disabled antigen into the body so the immune system can produce antibodies against it and create immunity to the disease. This in no way weakens the immune system. In fact, just the opposite! The people who get the flu shot annually have a better immune response to influenza than those who seldom or randomly get vaccinated, or are never vaccinated.

You should be able to imagine the shocking results to people 'if' their immune system was weakened from receiving vaccinations. That would be quite a heinous approach to kill tens of millions of people each year when the intention was to help people avoid coming down with the flu!

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

Military Immunization Certificate

I still have my military immunization certificate from 1967 when I entered Army basic training at Fort Polk, LA. The trainees passed by in a line and were immunized with an instrument that resembled a pneumatic nail gun. As the line passed by the stationary medic he would apply the business end of vaccine gun to the trainee's upper arm and pull the trigger. The vaccine was injected by being compressed through the pores of the skin, a fast and efficient way to inoculate hundreds of troops. Quite a few trainees had blood running down their arm from this process with blood dripping on the floor as you look down the advancing line.

The vaccines on my certificate are as follows:

Smallpox
Cholera
Typhoid
Tetanus
Yellow Fever
Polio
Typhus
Flu
Adenovirus
Plague

The polio vaccine was administered orally. To opt out of the vaccines was not a choice.

I got my flu shots a couple of months ago and the first of my Shingrix (shingles) last week. I believe immunizations are important and helpful and have never had a problem from shots.

Flu Shot

I believe I've had fewer and less severe instances of flu-like symptoms since starting yearly vaccination. I too have 'graduated' to the super senior shot. Seem to tolerate them well.

Flu

I also get the flu vaccine yearly...now get extra strength. I have had (knock on wood) good luck wirh illness. Two points... may have milder illness; additionally as more get vaccinated it enhances the herd effect... if most of the "herd" cant get the disease, then they cant spread it to others and overall incidence declines

Flu Shot - Always

Have gotten the shot for more than 15 years straight. I have not had a full blown flu that I can remember during all these years. I have gotten sick with colds and flu like aches and pains but not enough to make me sick enough to have to lay in bed for more than a day or 2.

Another been there.

mcginkleschmidt wrote:

I still have my military immunization certificate from 1967 when I entered Army basic training at Fort Polk, LA. The trainees passed by in a line and were immunized with an instrument that resembled a pneumatic nail gun. As the line passed by the stationary medic he would apply the business end of vaccine gun to the trainee's upper arm and pull the trigger. The vaccine was injected by being compressed through the pores of the skin, a fast and efficient way to inoculate hundreds of troops. Quite a few trainees had blood running down their arm from this process with blood dripping on the floor as you look down the advancing line.

I was there in July 1964 & remember the pain hit from the shot just as you were exiting thru a screen door. Saw at least 3 troops collapse going down the short stairs out that door. Many fond memories at Fort Polk(Not!).

--
Nuvi 2460LMT

no needle but not no pain

mcginkleschmidt wrote:

The trainees passed by in a line and were immunized with an instrument that resembled a pneumatic nail gun.

For a while they talked up that gadget, hoping that people who did not like needles would be more willing to endure it. The real advantage, of course, was extremely high rates with few staff manning the "gun".

My one personal experience came during the Ford administration, when I got my swine flu shot done that way. I sought out the gun on purpose. It hurt. I'll not seek it out again.

--
personal GPS user since 1992

Flu Shots

My wife and I also get the flu shots every year and have done so for as long as they were available, along with any other doctor recommended shots.

--
Nüvi 3790

the

flu is not a joke. Plain and simple my physician said even if the efficacy is low some given year, say 40%, 40% is > 0%.

Not trying to start a flame war, but I have a cousin who is super intelligent, his mansion in Massachusetts is proof of his place in corporate America.

He drives a car capable of 186 mph, does around 120 consistently on the Mass Pike, no seat belt. He states no benefit and actually could be harmful.

He does not believe in vaccinations for his daughter, says it causes autism.

He says 401k plans are for fools.

Now, how is it someone so intelligent, has such counter-intuitive beliefs? I don't know.

I always get the flu shot and don't seem to get sick. For all I know I'm given a placebo, but I feel I am doing the right thing. My 6 y.o. son has always gotten his vaccinations as well. To each his own.

It wasn't until a few years ago my physican said make sure it's the quadrivalent. For a while it was only that, but in 2019 here we go again, have to ask (at the minute type of drug store place).

George Carlin

Just like George Carlin said...... What do you have immune system for? It’s for killing germs‘ but it needs practice, it needs germs to practice on. So get the flu shot so your body has something to practice on so when the real thing comes along you’re better equipped.

Immunizations

mmullins98 wrote:
mcginkleschmidt wrote:

I still have my military immunization certificate from 1967 when I entered Army basic training at Fort Polk, LA. The trainees passed by in a line and were immunized with an instrument that resembled a pneumatic nail gun. As the line passed by the stationary medic he would apply the business end of vaccine gun to the trainee's upper arm and pull the trigger. The vaccine was injected by being compressed through the pores of the skin, a fast and efficient way to inoculate hundreds of troops. Quite a few trainees had blood running down their arm from this process with blood dripping on the floor as you look down the advancing line.

mmullins98 wrote:
I was there in July 1964 & remember the pain hit from the shot just as you were exiting thru a screen door. Saw at least 3 troops collapse going down the short stairs out that door. Many fond memories at Fort Polk(Not!).

muell9k wrote:
Thanks for the memories mcginkleschmidt & mmullins98, I was in the Army at Fort Jackson South Carolina in January of 1968 for basic training. I don't recall having any pain when being immunized by a instrument shooting vaccines through my arm. In addition, I don't remember any documentation for being immunized going through my old Army records and honorable discharge. I suppose it's just my memory failing (as usual) and didn't leave a lasting impression on me.

--
Nuvi 2460LMT 2 Units

Flu shot

Sometimes the flu shot guesses correctly about the main strains to be found the following year, sometimes they guess wrong.

I always get the flu shot. Sometimes I still get the flu. IMHO, getting the shot is cheap, easy, safe, and cannot cause the flu. Getting the shot is a better choice than not getting the shot, for me.

--
___________________ Garmin 2455, 855, Oregon 550t

for the record ...

soberbyker wrote:

~snip~

Now I get a flu shot every year, like clockwork and I will still get the flu every now and then, and boy it sucks all desire to live right out of ya. My wife, on the other hand, never gets the shot and I can't recall if she has ever had a go with it or not, she say never has.

So I'm wondering, how to you folks do with getting, or not getting, the shots and getting, or not getting, the flu?

As mentioned I do get the annual shot, have for as long as I can remember (and have insurance). This bout with actually getting the flu (it sucks big time) is only the 2nd time in about 8 years that I can remember. This years 'guesses" are off I've read, it happens. I'll still get my annual shot.

--
. 2 Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S, Nuvi 2689, 2 Nuvi 2460, Zumo 550, Zumo 450, Uniden R3 radar detector with GPS built in, includes RLC info. Uconnect 430N Garmin based, built into my Jeep. .

Flu leaves a 4-year-old girl blind in Iowa

A 4-year-old girl in Iowa nearly died and is now blind because of the flu, and her parents have a message: Get your child vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/health/flu-blinds-iowa-girl-e...

Never had the flu shot ...

...and it's been about a dozen years or so since I've had the flu.

when you do get the flu it will be absolutely memorable

BSideTheCSide wrote:

...and it's been about a dozen years or so since I've had the flu.

I suspect when (not if) you do get the flu it will be absolutely memorable...

--
Politicians and Diapers must be changed often for the exact same reason...

to

mcginkleschmidt wrote:

A 4-year-old girl in Iowa nearly died and is now blind because of the flu, and her parents have a message: Get your child vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/health/flu-blinds-iowa-girl-eprise/index.html

me the shame about it is kids cannot decide or speak up for themselves. My son cannot say he doesn't want a 2 week intern to cast his leg, his parents decide. So if he ends up being treated by a nurse practioner instead of an orthopedic surgeon, or his eyes checked by an optometrist, shame on his parents.

Moderation

Please remember to keep the conversation polite.

~Angela

Huh?

johnnatash4 wrote:
mcginkleschmidt wrote:

A 4-year-old girl in Iowa nearly died and is now blind because of the flu, and her parents have a message: Get your child vaccinated.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/11/health/flu-blinds-iowa-girl-eprise/index.html

me the shame about it is kids cannot decide or speak up for themselves. My son cannot say he doesn't want a 2 week intern to cast his leg, his parents decide. So if he ends up being treated by a nurse practioner instead of an orthopedic surgeon, or his eyes checked by an optometrist, shame on his parents.

Did you and I read the same news story about a family's message: Get your child vaccinated?

Page 1>>